US or UK

mbalink

My primary objective with the MBA is to land a job in the UK. I am an EU national, so visa is not an issue. My question is: is it better to get an MBA from a top US school such as Booth, Harvard, Wharton or Northwestern, all of which with terrific reputation the world over? Or should I focus on UK schools like Oxbridge, Cranfiled, Manchester, Imperial? These are excellent schools, but the way I see it, they have a more local reputation and it would not be as easy to find a job elsewhere in the world with an MBA from these schools. I am not citing LBS because this is a UK school with definitely a worldwide reputation.

My primary objective with the MBA is to land a job in the UK. I am an EU national, so visa is not an issue. My question is: is it better to get an MBA from a top US school such as Booth, Harvard, Wharton or Northwestern, all of which with terrific reputation the world over? Or should I focus on UK schools like Oxbridge, Cranfiled, Manchester, Imperial? These are excellent schools, but the way I see it, they have a more local reputation and it would not be as easy to find a job elsewhere in the world with an MBA from these schools. I am not citing LBS because this is a UK school with definitely a worldwide reputation.
Inactive User

I'd study where you want to work. Even though Booth and Harvard have great reputations, Oxford and Cambridge are going to have better networks in the UK. Also, the time you spend in school you can use for directly networking with employers, something that you couldn't do in the US.

I'd study where you want to work. Even though Booth and Harvard have great reputations, Oxford and Cambridge are going to have better networks in the UK. Also, the time you spend in school you can use for directly networking with employers, something that you couldn't do in the US.
mbalink

Thanks mba hipster. I thought so, but i just wanted to hear it from someone else. I am just a bit worried about the idea of one-year programs. Anyways, I'm gonna work my ass off to get my GMAT up in LBS range and get rid of that problem.

Thanks mba hipster. I thought so, but i just wanted to hear it from someone else. I am just a bit worried about the idea of one-year programs. Anyways, I'm gonna work my ass off to get my GMAT up in LBS range and get rid of that problem.
Duncan

Harvard is well known in the US. I'm not sure that Wharton, Kellogg or Booth are well known outside UK investment banking. Remember, very few firms go to US schools to hire MBAs for Europe.

What sort of job do you want in the UK?

Harvard is well known in the US. I'm not sure that Wharton, Kellogg or Booth are well known outside UK investment banking. Remember, very few firms go to US schools to hire MBAs for Europe.

What sort of job do you want in the UK?

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Chicago, Illinois 42 Followers 149 Discussions
Evanston, Illinois 71 Followers 204 Discussions
Boston, Massachusetts 84 Followers 204 Discussions
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 67 Followers 172 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 168 Followers 475 Discussions
Oxford, United Kingdom 70 Followers 277 Discussions
Cambridge, United Kingdom 53 Followers 289 Discussions
Manchester, United Kingdom 65 Followers 514 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 107 Followers 348 Discussions