SCU - Leavy school of business is worth $70k?

catchyd

Hi,

I am very confused with MBA decision at this stage. At one hand, I am getting admission to leavy but at other hand not sure if leavy is worth spending $70K. Can anyone please advice.

My profile:
--------------
9 years work experience
Good engineering lead profile in reputed IT company
VISA status: H1B
GMAT: 600
Undergraduate: Engineering with 3.6 GPA
Good academic and professional record with extra curricular activities and recommendation

My future Goal:
--------------------
would like to move towards business side in IT companies

My options & dilema:
---------------------------

I am living in bay area. My possible options are Haas (out of reach), UC Davis (can manage but no scholarship and fees $100k+), SCU (good chances), others low ranked and not interested.

I consulted SCU. They are happy with my profile and encouraging me to apply. However, they are less likely to give any scholarship. I calculated the cost and can manage with loans. (Fees: $951 per unit for 70 units) I am planning for evening part time MBA. Hence, I also have option for completing at slow pace as per financial arrangement. I am thinking to complete in approx. 4 years. Hence, approx $18k per year.

Problem:

1) I am on H1B Visa. Company is about to file for GreenCard. I will not be able to change job to business profile until greencard comes. It will take atleast 6-7 years in EB2 category. Hence, I need to wait 2-3 years after completing MBA for business profile job. Will it create any problem for job? Is it considered good practice for case like mine?

2) So far, technically, I am satisfied with my job. I am looking for MBA because I would like to move towards business side. I am looking for good managerial executive position. After 6-7 years, I will be 15+ years of experience. So, considering fresh graduate from leavy with 15+ years of experience, what will be chances of good paid jobs? I am going for loan to pay for my MBA. Is it worth spending $70k?

I am also okay if there are good chances at long term.

Hi,

I am very confused with MBA decision at this stage. At one hand, I am getting admission to leavy but at other hand not sure if leavy is worth spending $70K. Can anyone please advice.

My profile:
--------------
9 years work experience
Good engineering lead profile in reputed IT company
VISA status: H1B
GMAT: 600
Undergraduate: Engineering with 3.6 GPA
Good academic and professional record with extra curricular activities and recommendation

My future Goal:
--------------------
would like to move towards business side in IT companies

My options & dilema:
---------------------------

I am living in bay area. My possible options are Haas (out of reach), UC Davis (can manage but no scholarship and fees $100k+), SCU (good chances), others low ranked and not interested.

I consulted SCU. They are happy with my profile and encouraging me to apply. However, they are less likely to give any scholarship. I calculated the cost and can manage with loans. (Fees: $951 per unit for 70 units) I am planning for evening part time MBA. Hence, I also have option for completing at slow pace as per financial arrangement. I am thinking to complete in approx. 4 years. Hence, approx $18k per year.

Problem:

1) I am on H1B Visa. Company is about to file for GreenCard. I will not be able to change job to business profile until greencard comes. It will take atleast 6-7 years in EB2 category. Hence, I need to wait 2-3 years after completing MBA for business profile job. Will it create any problem for job? Is it considered good practice for case like mine?

2) So far, technically, I am satisfied with my job. I am looking for MBA because I would like to move towards business side. I am looking for good managerial executive position. After 6-7 years, I will be 15+ years of experience. So, considering fresh graduate from leavy with 15+ years of experience, what will be chances of good paid jobs? I am going for loan to pay for my MBA. Is it worth spending $70k?

I am also okay if there are good chances at long term.
Razors Edg...

I don't know much about the visa situation, but it sounds like you should have a couple of conversations:

1. With the career services department of Leavey, to ask about typical post-MBA career growth for graduates in similar positions to where you are. This will give you a better indication of your return on investment.

2. With your current employer. Many times, employers will sponsor a student's MBA program in part or sometimes in full, if you can convince them that it will benefit the company.

It sounds like you've done your research, so if Haas and Davis are outside of your budget range, then there aren't really any better alternatives.

I don't know much about the visa situation, but it sounds like you should have a couple of conversations:

1. With the career services department of Leavey, to ask about typical post-MBA career growth for graduates in similar positions to where you are. This will give you a better indication of your return on investment.

2. With your current employer. Many times, employers will sponsor a student's MBA program in part or sometimes in full, if you can convince them that it will benefit the company.

It sounds like you've done your research, so if Haas and Davis are outside of your budget range, then there aren't really any better alternatives.
catchyd

Thanks Razors. I am thinking to apply for GMAT one more time and will apply for MBA may be in 6 months or so. Meanwhile, I will also try to convince my current employer. If everything goes fine, I may target UC davis.

Thanks Razors. I am thinking to apply for GMAT one more time and will apply for MBA may be in 6 months or so. Meanwhile, I will also try to convince my current employer. If everything goes fine, I may target UC davis.
ezra

In terms of the ROI, according to Businessweek data, Leavey grads who work in technology or information technology have salaries on average of $104k between 5 and 10 years after graduation. From BW's 2012 data, that number is around $96k for UC Davis PT grads.

Of course, for the Haas program, the average salary of the same group is $124k.

As to whether it's worth it for you, those are good data points to start with; you can use your current salary and calculate ROI from there.

In terms of the ROI, according to Businessweek data, Leavey grads who work in technology or information technology have salaries on average of $104k between 5 and 10 years after graduation. From BW's 2012 data, that number is around $96k for UC Davis PT grads.

Of course, for the Haas program, the average salary of the same group is $124k.

As to whether it's worth it for you, those are good data points to start with; you can use your current salary and calculate ROI from there.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Santa Clara, California 12 Followers 11 Discussions

Other Related Content

Finding the Time: Part-Time MBA Programs

Article Apr 30, 2010

Programs for working professionals can offer value and flexibility for busy schedules