questions about EMBA

jona

Hello. I'm thinking about doing an EMBA, and I was wondering about the admission requirements. Besides the longer work experience, is the same attention given to GMAT and GPA scores as for an MBA?

Hello. I'm thinking about doing an EMBA, and I was wondering about the admission requirements. Besides the longer work experience, is the same attention given to GMAT and GPA scores as for an MBA?
LP

I don't think so, Jona. For an Executive MBA I think what is really important is that you've held executive positions. This is more important than your GMAT scores. In fact, some schools like the University of Chicago do not require GMAT. I don't know if this is general, but my impression is that the really important criteria are the length of employment and the level of responsibility.

In executive education programs, a lot of the class work has to do with people sharing their experiences and using them for specific cases or problems. This is even more so than in an MBA, where you always have to have some basic training for students who don't have a strong academic background in business. So for EMBAs I think schools are particularly careful in selecting students who've held executive positions.

I guess then that there is some variation depending on the school. The more demanded ones have more choice, the other ones less so.

I don't think so, Jona. For an Executive MBA I think what is really important is that you've held executive positions. This is more important than your GMAT scores. In fact, some schools like the University of Chicago do not require GMAT. I don't know if this is general, but my impression is that the really important criteria are the length of employment and the level of responsibility.

In executive education programs, a lot of the class work has to do with people sharing their experiences and using them for specific cases or problems. This is even more so than in an MBA, where you always have to have some basic training for students who don't have a strong academic background in business. So for EMBAs I think schools are particularly careful in selecting students who've held executive positions.

I guess then that there is some variation depending on the school. The more demanded ones have more choice, the other ones less so.
jona

Yes, that makes sense, since an EMBA is targeted at professionals with a consistant experience, and first admission criteria is a certain number of years of professional experience.
I'm just wondering how schools make their choice, criterias like level of responsibility are a lot more difficult and subjective to evaluate than the GMAT.

Yes, that makes sense, since an EMBA is targeted at professionals with a consistant experience, and first admission criteria is a certain number of years of professional experience.
I'm just wondering how schools make their choice, criterias like level of responsibility are a lot more difficult and subjective to evaluate than the GMAT.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Chicago, Illinois 42 Followers 149 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

Traditional MBA or Executive MBA Program?

Article Jun 20, 2011

An EMBA program is more than "an MBA without the kids," but an experienced cohort does make a difference.

Hot Discussions