Profile evaluation - interesting case

karant

Hello,

I am a recent grad from Murray State University with BS in Finance and a CGPA of 3.54/4. I also hold an Associates degree in Hotel Management from India (not a top school) and also have around 2.5 years work experience in the field of hospitality in India. I have worked with J W Marriott hotels and Jet Airways. I have not taken my GMAT yet but expect to score between 550-600 in the exam. I have also been volunteering at a non-profit organisation for a few months now. I have also been briefly involved with some other associations in undergrad school.

I have not followed a traditional academic or professional path so far which makes my case different and complicated. I am now looking to pursue MBA in the field of Finance. Any idea what kind of MBA schools am I likely to get accepted in? Your inputs will be much appreciated.

Hello,

I am a recent grad from Murray State University with BS in Finance and a CGPA of 3.54/4. I also hold an Associates degree in Hotel Management from India (not a top school) and also have around 2.5 years work experience in the field of hospitality in India. I have worked with J W Marriott hotels and Jet Airways. I have not taken my GMAT yet but expect to score between 550-600 in the exam. I have also been volunteering at a non-profit organisation for a few months now. I have also been briefly involved with some other associations in undergrad school.

I have not followed a traditional academic or professional path so far which makes my case different and complicated. I am now looking to pursue MBA in the field of Finance. Any idea what kind of MBA schools am I likely to get accepted in? Your inputs will be much appreciated.
Duncan

Here are some US News-ranked universities with: GMATs in the 540 to 600 range, average GPA's under 3.6, with concentrations in finance, and with students with 2-3 years' work experience.

I've put a star after the ones which are better

Florida State
Rochester Institute of Technology (Saunders) (NY)*
University of Houston (Bauer) (TX)
St. Louis University (Cook) (MO)
Iowa State University (IA)*
University of Cincinnati (OH)*
University of Oregon (Lundquist) (OR)
DePaul University (Kellstadt) (IL)
Howard University (DC)
North Carolina State University (Jenkins)*

I think Iowa State is great value, and is the only one to get into The Economist's top 100.

Here are some US News-ranked universities with: GMATs in the 540 to 600 range, average GPA's under 3.6, with concentrations in finance, and with students with 2-3 years' work experience.

I've put a star after the ones which are better

Florida State
Rochester Institute of Technology (Saunders) (NY)*
University of Houston (Bauer) (TX)
St. Louis University (Cook) (MO)
Iowa State University (IA)*
University of Cincinnati (OH)*
University of Oregon (Lundquist) (OR)
DePaul University (Kellstadt) (IL)
Howard University (DC)
North Carolina State University (Jenkins)*

I think Iowa State is great value, and is the only one to get into The Economist's top 100.
ezra

Iowa State is a good suggestion. Also, I would look through this list of top MBA programs for a career in finance:

http://www.find-mba.com/specializations/12/finance

If you were able to bump your GMAT score a bit, Tulane Freeman might be within reach.

Iowa State is a good suggestion. Also, I would look through this list of top MBA programs for a career in finance:

http://www.find-mba.com/specializations/12/finance

If you were able to bump your GMAT score a bit, Tulane Freeman might be within reach.
Duncan

I'm a big fan of Freeman. They do amazing work in equity research. really exciting stuff there.

I'm a big fan of Freeman. They do amazing work in equity research. really exciting stuff there.
ezra

Indeed. And for a career in finance below the Mason-Dixon line, it's really one of the only places to consider.

Indeed. And for a career in finance below the Mason-Dixon line, it's really one of the only places to consider.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Washington, District of Columbia 9 Followers 12 Discussions
Raleigh, North Carolina 18 Followers 25 Discussions
Ames, Iowa 2 Followers 13 Discussions
Rochester, New York 8 Followers 21 Discussions
Eugene, Oregon 7 Followers 9 Discussions
Chicago, Illinois 19 Followers 34 Discussions
Houston, Texas 25 Followers 16 Discussions
St. Louis, Missouri 6 Followers 6 Discussions
New Orleans, Louisiana 4 Followers 13 Discussions
Tallahassee, Florida 18 Followers 18 Discussions