Part Time MBA with low GMAT score

ad20

Hi,

I just appeared for GMAT last week and did horrible, I got 520. I was planning to apply for part time MBA at COX - SMU or Mc Combs - UT Austin for fall session. I am a female and have around 7 years of consulting experience(IT)with an undergrad in Computer Science from India. Does it make sense to apply?
I might give GMAT again but I am not sure as of now.
Any thoughts?

AD

Hi,

I just appeared for GMAT last week and did horrible, I got 520. I was planning to apply for part time MBA at COX - SMU or Mc Combs - UT Austin for fall session. I am a female and have around 7 years of consulting experience(IT)with an undergrad in Computer Science from India. Does it make sense to apply?
I might give GMAT again but I am not sure as of now.
Any thoughts?

AD
Duncan

If you made serious preparation for the GMAT and cannot improve it more than 20 or so point, then don't retake, but if you can then do. It will gove you better classmates and outcomes.

Are you looking for MBAs only in Texas? Try the EMBA at University of Texas--Arlington, or the full-time MBAs at University of North Texas or Texas A&M University--Commerce.

If you made serious preparation for the GMAT and cannot improve it more than 20 or so point, then don't retake, but if you can then do. It will gove you better classmates and outcomes.

Are you looking for MBAs only in Texas? Try the EMBA at University of Texas--Arlington, or the full-time MBAs at University of North Texas or Texas A&M University--Commerce.
ad20

Thanks Duncan! I had prepared and was getting in 600's during practice tests but messed up my test...

I work full time in Dallas area and thus I am looking for a part time MBA in dallas .. I saw avg score of Cox is 550..so was wondering if giving a try is worth or not. I am going to attend their information session, so, will ask this question but was wondering if anyone has got in part time MBA with low GMAT score.

Thanks Duncan! I had prepared and was getting in 600's during practice tests but messed up my test...

I work full time in Dallas area and thus I am looking for a part time MBA in dallas .. I saw avg score of Cox is 550..so was wondering if giving a try is worth or not. I am going to attend their information session, so, will ask this question but was wondering if anyone has got in part time MBA with low GMAT score.
Duncan

It says here that the average GMAT is 591 there: http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/part_time_mba_profiles/smu.html and that 71% of applicants are accepted. Worth an application, I suggest.

It says here that the average GMAT is 591 there: http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/part_time_mba_profiles/smu.html and that 71% of applicants are accepted. Worth an application, I suggest.
ralph

Try the EMBA at University of Texas--Arlington, or the full-time MBAs at University of North Texas or Texas A&M University--Commerce.

Good suggestions, Duncan.

With seven years of experience, you're sort of in the no-man's land between where you qualify for an MBA and where you qualify for EMBA programs. If you waited another couple of years, you'd be eligible to apply for some of the better EMBA programs in Texas, but as it stands right now the Arlington EMBA program - and perhaps the McCombs EMBA program - could work.

With the McCombs program, though - you'd probably want to bump your GMAT score up a bit. It sounds like you stumbled a bit on the first try - so why not give it a second shot? If you could land 600 you'd have more of a chance at some better programs.

Just FYI, you might talk to your employer about your plans - they might have funding programs in place for people like you who want to pursue business education. Or, they may have a relationship with an executive education provider that you could leverage. Just a thought.

<blockquote>Try the EMBA at University of Texas--Arlington, or the full-time MBAs at University of North Texas or Texas A&M University--Commerce.</blockquote>
Good suggestions, Duncan.

With seven years of experience, you're sort of in the no-man's land between where you qualify for an MBA and where you qualify for EMBA programs. If you waited another couple of years, you'd be eligible to apply for some of the better EMBA programs in Texas, but as it stands right now the Arlington EMBA program - and perhaps the McCombs EMBA program - could work.

With the McCombs program, though - you'd probably want to bump your GMAT score up a bit. It sounds like you stumbled a bit on the first try - so why not give it a second shot? If you could land 600 you'd have more of a chance at some better programs.

Just FYI, you might talk to your employer about your plans - they might have funding programs in place for people like you who want to pursue business education. Or, they may have a relationship with an executive education provider that you could leverage. Just a thought.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Austin, Texas 47 Followers 77 Discussions
Dallas, Texas 14 Followers 45 Discussions
Arlington, Texas 11 Followers 8 Discussions
Denton, Texas 12 Followers 9 Discussions
Commerce, Texas 5 Followers 12 Discussions

Other Related Content

Can a Low GMAT Score Kill Your B-School Dreams?

Article Aug 30, 2013

Why your GMAT score is important, and what it tells MBA admissions people about you

Hot Discussions