NYU Stern MSc in Analytics vs. MBA with Analytics Concentration

yogabba81

What do you guys think of NYU Stern's MSc program in Analytics? I'm weighing this program versus other MBA programs that have concentrations in business analytics, specifically Indiana - Kelley, Carnegie Mellon, and Rutgers.

What do you guys think of NYU Stern's MSc program in Analytics? I'm weighing this program versus other MBA programs that have concentrations in business analytics, specifically Indiana - Kelley, Carnegie Mellon, and Rutgers.
badux

It looks like that Stern program focuses more on the nuts and bolts of analytics than something more general like an MBA. Ultimately I think it would restrict you to analytics-type roles, whereas an MBA would provide more flexibility.

It's relatively new, so I would be critical about what kinds of jobs that grads land after the program. I would ask them directly about this, since the answer on the FAQ page of the website is rather vague and not informative:

"After completing the program,graduates are well prepared to follow a career in the field of Business Analytics or build on new found credibility and confidence to provide critical business analytic advisory services."

It looks like that Stern program focuses more on the nuts and bolts of analytics than something more general like an MBA. Ultimately I think it would restrict you to analytics-type roles, whereas an MBA would provide more flexibility.

It's relatively new, so I would be critical about what kinds of jobs that grads land after the program. I would ask them directly about this, since the answer on the FAQ page of the website is rather vague and not informative:

"After completing the program,graduates are well prepared to follow a career in the field of Business Analytics or build on new found credibility and confidence to provide critical business analytic advisory services."
yogabba81

Thanks for that. I'll check with Stern about placements. I'm leaning towards this program because NYU's brand seems to carry more weight than the MBA programs that I can get into, and it would look great on my resume.

Thanks for that. I'll check with Stern about placements. I'm leaning towards this program because NYU's brand seems to carry more weight than the MBA programs that I can get into, and it would look great on my resume.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

New York City, New York 177 Followers 249 Discussions
Bloomington, Indiana 41 Followers 82 Discussions
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 37 Followers 92 Discussions
Newark, New Jersey 62 Followers 74 Discussions

Other Related Content

Post-MBA Careers in Business Analytics: By the Numbers

Article Oct 19, 2015

Businesses are scrambling for data-savvy MBA graduates who understand that Big Data has permeated nearly every corner of the business world.

Top Business Schools for Business Analytics and Big Data

Top List

With the rise of big data, businesses increasingly need managers who can quickly analyze and understand the implications of huge amounts of information

Hot Discussions