No management experience

I am an Indian girl who wants to apply to some MBA programs in the US from schools like Boston University, Emory, and Pace.

Unfortunately I do not have any management experience. I have about 3.5 years of work experience mainly in a telecom. I have done different roles there but I have not led a team or done any other kind of management experience. Do you think this will present a problem as I am applying to MBA programs?

I am an Indian girl who wants to apply to some MBA programs in the US from schools like Boston University, Emory, and Pace.

Unfortunately I do not have any management experience. I have about 3.5 years of work experience mainly in a telecom. I have done different roles there but I have not led a team or done any other kind of management experience. Do you think this will present a problem as I am applying to MBA programs?
Duncan

Certainly at high-quality schools like BU and Emory. Less so at Pace, which is less selective. What is your GMAT score?

Certainly at high-quality schools like BU and Emory. Less so at Pace, which is less selective. What is your GMAT score?

670. But I am aiming to retake this summer.

670. But I am aiming to retake this summer.
Duncan

Well, you will need a higher score. See http://board.find-mba.com/gmat/gmat-tiers-strong-schools-for-your-gmat-23247

Well, you will need a higher score. See http://board.find-mba.com/gmat/gmat-tiers-strong-schools-for-your-gmat-23247

That's the plan. I'm aiming for at least 700.

That's the plan. I'm aiming for at least 700.

I have a similar but different question. I don't have any management experience but that's because I've been either a freelancer or an entrepreneur throughout my whole career. I'd like to apply for some MBA programs but am unsure about how my work experience will be perceived. Is there anything I can do to alleviate any concerns?

I have a similar but different question. I don't have any management experience but that's because I've been either a freelancer or an entrepreneur throughout my whole career. I'd like to apply for some MBA programs but am unsure about how my work experience will be perceived. Is there anything I can do to alleviate any concerns?
Duncan

Read the profiles of the students at some MBA schools. You will see there are lots of people with similar background. You might need to read between the lines, because some freelancers, especially consultants, will call themselves CEO of their one-person firm. If you have something to offer your classmates, then schools will be interested in you. The only issue is references: you will need mentors and clients to speak for you.

Read the profiles of the students at some MBA schools. You will see there are lots of people with similar background. You might need to read between the lines, because some freelancers, especially consultants, will call themselves CEO of their one-person firm. If you have something to offer your classmates, then schools will be interested in you. The only issue is references: you will need mentors and clients to speak for you.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Atlanta, Georgia 33 Followers 65 Discussions
Boston, Massachusetts 161 Followers 109 Discussions
New York City, New York 43 Followers 41 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

Back to School: The Work Experience Dilemma

Article Apr 21, 2009

Think you're too old for an MBA? B-school recruiters break down the (old) age question

Hot Discussions