Need suggestions to shortlist the Full time MBA programs that Im applying for

kc.19

My profile:

GMAT - 680 (Q49, V34)
CGPA - 7.6 (First class with distinction)
Note: My University does not use GPA system
Degree - B.E in computer science
Nationality - Indian
Work Experience - 3 yrs as software engineer in a reputed MNC
1 yr as senior software engineer at the same MNC
Post MBA goals - Product management/product marketing (need to decide between the two)
Other criteria - Applying to colleges only from NYC and California for personal reasons.

Colleges planning to apply:

Dream colleges:
- NYC Stern

Reach colleges:
- UC Davis
- USC Marshall

Safe colleges:
- Zicklin School of Business

My Qs/concerns:
1) Please advice on my college selection.
2) How does Zicklin school of business compare against UC Davis/USC Marshall ?.(In terms of placement for international students or placement in general, quality of teaching/coursework, brand reputation)
3) Between UC davis and USC Marshall, Which is better ?.(Criteria mentioned as above)

My profile:

GMAT - 680 (Q49, V34)
CGPA - 7.6 (First class with distinction)
Note: My University does not use GPA system
Degree - B.E in computer science
Nationality - Indian
Work Experience - 3 yrs as software engineer in a reputed MNC
1 yr as senior software engineer at the same MNC
Post MBA goals - Product management/product marketing (need to decide between the two)
Other criteria - Applying to colleges only from NYC and California for personal reasons.

Colleges planning to apply:

Dream colleges:
- NYC Stern

Reach colleges:
- UC Davis
- USC Marshall

Safe colleges:
- Zicklin School of Business

My Qs/concerns:
1) Please advice on my college selection.
2) How does Zicklin school of business compare against UC Davis/USC Marshall ?.(In terms of placement for international students or placement in general, quality of teaching/coursework, brand reputation)
3) Between UC davis and USC Marshall, Which is better ?.(Criteria mentioned as above)
Duncan

Read: Shortcut to find the best US MBA www.find-mba.com/board/36065

Read: Shortcut to find the best US MBA www.find-mba.com/board/36065
ezra

The main issue is that your profile - southeast Asian applicant with a background in software engineering - is probably one of the most competitive profiles out there. You'll need some way to distinguish yourself from the droves of other similar students, many of whom have higher GMAT scores.

In short, I think you'll need a substantial bump in your GMAT score for you to be competitive at Stern. The other schools could go either way for you, but a higher GMAT would go a long way to make them safe bets.

USC out-performs UC Davis in all of the rankings, but tends to place students in more traditional consulting-type roles. Ultimately, it would depend on your career goals: If you were doing product management or marketing specifically in the tech industry, for instance, Davis might be a better bet; for most other industries USC is most likely the safer choice.

The main issue is that your profile - southeast Asian applicant with a background in software engineering - is probably one of the most competitive profiles out there. You'll need some way to distinguish yourself from the droves of other similar students, many of whom have higher GMAT scores.

In short, I think you'll need a substantial bump in your GMAT score for you to be competitive at Stern. The other schools could go either way for you, but a higher GMAT would go a long way to make them safe bets.

[quote]3) Between UC davis and USC Marshall, Which is better ?.(Criteria mentioned as above)[/quote]
USC out-performs UC Davis in all of the rankings, but tends to place students in more traditional consulting-type roles. Ultimately, it would depend on your career goals: If you were doing product management or marketing specifically in the tech industry, for instance, Davis might be a better bet; for most other industries USC is most likely the safer choice.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Davis, California 21 Followers 26 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 103 Followers 120 Discussions
New York City, New York 177 Followers 249 Discussions
New York City, New York 78 Followers 68 Discussions

Hot Discussions