Notice Message

MBA Discussions

MBA in New York

Liam

Jan 02, 2006 11:59

useful 0

Can someone tell me which MBA school in New York, of the 41 listed in this site, is worthwile going to, in terms of international esteem etc.? Thanxs!
Can someone tell me which MBA school in New York, of the 41 listed in this site, is worthwile going to, in terms of international esteem etc.? Thanxs!

Marsha

Jan 02, 2006 08:16

useful 0

If you are looking for a strong international reputation, you have to try to get into NYU Stern or Columbia. You could also think about Cornell University, Johnson, which is not located in New York City, but in Ithaca (3 hours from NYC).
If you are looking for a strong international reputation, you have to try to get into NYU Stern or Columbia. You could also think about Cornell University, Johnson, which is not located in New York City, but in Ithaca (3 hours from NYC).

Jan 16, 2006 09:30

useful 0

agreed about the top schools in NYC -- Stern and Columbia. but if you are not worried about out-of-state fees, there are other b-schools in the region that lie in other states, but are closer than Cornell, like Wharton in Philadelphia and Yale in New Haven. anyway take a look. good luck.
agreed about the top schools in NYC -- Stern and Columbia. but if you are not worried about out-of-state fees, there are other b-schools in the region that lie in other states, but are closer than Cornell, like Wharton in Philadelphia and Yale in New Haven. anyway take a look. good luck.

Liam

Jan 19, 2006 10:36

useful 0

Actually, I am more interested in alternative and reputed b-schools in NYC itself... Any ideas?
Actually, I am more interested in alternative and reputed b-schools in NYC itself... Any ideas?

Jan 22, 2006 11:06

useful 0

What about Fordham? Lots of choices there.
http://www.find-mba.com/university/287
What about Fordham? Lots of choices there.
http://www.find-mba.com/university/287

Liam

Jan 25, 2006 12:48

useful 0

Interesting, A Jesuit B-school..? Anyways, I haven't thought about this one and it is in the center of town for sure ;-). Thanks for the hint!
Interesting, A Jesuit B-school..? Anyways, I haven't thought about this one and it is in the center of town for sure ;-). Thanks for the hint!

Feb 10, 2006 10:18

useful 0

Hi guys!!!
I am a student from greece and i am about to take my business degree in forthcoming june,and my age is 24!
i have a couple of foul time w/e and a GPA 7/10 almost.
I am interested in fordham, baruch , st. john's and hofstra mba programs!
Could anyone please post a comment about these schools,like wich is better and why or anything at all, because here in greece its to hard to find anynone who could help me and guide me!!!
Thanks a lot anyway!!!!!!
Hi guys!!!
I am a student from greece and i am about to take my business degree in forthcoming june,and my age is 24!
Could anyone please post a comment about these schools,like wich is better and why or anything at all, because here in greece its to hard to find anynone who could help me and guide me!!!

Feb 11, 2006 05:12

useful 0

these are all accredited and pretty good programs overall. keep in mind that hofstra is a bit outside of NYC. and remember too that fordham and st.johns are both religious-affiliated schools. i dont know if that matters to you or not, but i just thought i would say it anyway.
these are all accredited and pretty good programs overall. keep in mind that hofstra is a bit outside of NYC. and remember too that fordham and st.johns are both religious-affiliated schools. i dont know if that matters to you or not, but i just thought i would say it anyway.

Jon

Feb 12, 2006 11:23

useful 0

remember too that fordham and st.johns are both religious-affiliated schools.

I guess that this does not affect the content of the MBA courses in any way. Fordham has a good name in the US and I think it is also has the strongest international reputation of the programs mentioned by efthimaras.
<blockquote>remember too that fordham and st.johns are both religious-affiliated schools.</blockquote>

I guess that this does not affect the content of the MBA courses in any way. Fordham has a good name in the US and I think it is also has the strongest international reputation of the programs mentioned by efthimaras.

Feb 13, 2006 02:08

useful 0

no, i suppose you are right about the content of the mba programs. but i imagine being a catholic or jesuiut school perhaps affects campus life to some degree.
no, i suppose you are right about the content of the mba programs. but i imagine being a catholic or jesuiut school perhaps affects campus life to some degree.

jukra

Mar 04, 2006 11:56

useful 0

Did anyone get news from CBS or NYU yet? Would be great to let me know...
Did anyone get news from CBS or NYU yet? Would be great to let me know...

Marsha

Mar 12, 2006 08:31

useful 0

The MBA listings on this website are sorted according to popularity (=no. of user views), i.e. you should particularily consider the first 5-10 programs in "New York".
<blockquote>Can someone tell me which MBA school in New York, of the 41 listed in this site, is worthwile going to, in terms of international esteem etc.? Thanxs!</blockquote>

The MBA listings on this website are sorted according to popularity (=no. of user views), i.e. you should particularily consider the first 5-10 programs in "New York".

Mar 14, 2006 08:49

useful 0

Hello guys, This is Ran from Canada. Are there any MBA programs in US with internship or co-op terms. Can someone help me..

Thanx :)
Hello guys, This is Ran from Canada. Are there any MBA programs in US with internship or co-op terms. Can someone help me..

Thanx :)

TTear

Mar 21, 2006 07:36

useful 0

Hi guys. I'm from Greece as well (greetings Efthimara arhige!).

I've applied to various US business schools. I've already been accepted at Pepperdine in Malibu, California. However, I think I'm mostly interested in NYC. I got the boot from Columbia but I have my eye on Fordham or Baruch.

What would you guys do? Would you pick Pepperdine as it seems to be the best choice, or would you wait for the rest that I mentioned? How would you compare those 3? I also consider Uni of Miami and San Diego State University (sorry for throwing in so many..).

TIA
Hi guys. I'm from Greece as well (greetings Efthimara arhige!).

I've applied to various US business schools. I've already been accepted at Pepperdine in Malibu, California. However, I think I'm mostly interested in NYC. I got the boot from Columbia but I have my eye on Fordham or Baruch.

What would you guys do? Would you pick Pepperdine as it seems to be the best choice, or would you wait for the rest that I mentioned? How would you compare those 3? I also consider Uni of Miami and San Diego State University (sorry for throwing in so many..).

TIA

Mendez66

Mar 21, 2006 10:18

useful 0

Hi Tia. Are you waiting to hear back from Fordham and Baruch or are you just thinking of applying? I think of the three others, I would be most happy with Pepperdine. First off, it's in Malibu. That's which is where rich people from L.A: go to live when they retire. I'm not saying that is a deal-breaker or anything, but it is a good sign that the place is nice, especially if you like to surf or want to learn. :) But besides that, Pepperdine is a school with a great reputation for business. I don't really know much about the programs at SDSU or Miami.
Hi Tia. Are you waiting to hear back from Fordham and Baruch or are you just thinking of applying? I think of the three others, I would be most happy with Pepperdine. First off, it's in Malibu. That's which is where rich people from L.A: go to live when they retire. I'm not saying that is a deal-breaker or anything, but it is a good sign that the place is nice, especially if you like to surf or want to learn. :) But besides that, Pepperdine is a school with a great reputation for business. I don't really know much about the programs at SDSU or Miami.

Jun 16, 2006 02:47

useful 0

Is there someone who knows about St.John's, Longisland and Hoftra.
I'm condidering to go to their accounting course, but I acutally don't know their reputation. Considering St. John's program at accounting, I guess the classes are so many(more than 60 degrees). I'm from Asian, so I can't actually find the resourses their reputation and atomsphere except one of the famouse B-school, NYU and Columbia in NYC.
Is there someone who knows about St.John's, Longisland and Hoftra.
I'm condidering to go to their accounting course, but I acutally don't know their reputation. Considering St. John's program at accounting, I guess the classes are so many(more than 60 degrees). I'm from Asian, so I can't actually find the resourses their reputation and atomsphere except one of the famouse B-school, NYU and Columbia in NYC.

Jun 16, 2006 05:52

useful 0

Except I mentioned above, I occured suddenly wheter they are 2 year-dayime-fulltime course or not.

2 year fulltime-daytime;
Columbia
NYU
CUNY
Fordham
Hofstra

2 year fulltime-evening ;
IONA
St john's
Longisland
NYIT
Pace

Is that right?
I would like to know about St john's as early as possible.

Thank you
Except I mentioned above, I occured suddenly wheter they are 2 year-dayime-fulltime course or not.

2 year fulltime-daytime;
Columbia
NYU
CUNY
Fordham
Hofstra

2 year fulltime-evening ;
IONA
St john's
Longisland
NYIT
Pace

Is that right?
I would like to know about St john's as early as possible.

Thank you

asdc

Jun 21, 2006 09:53

useful 0

As far as reputation is concerned, I would say #1 Hofstra, #2 St. Johns, dont know the third one you name. However, you should be aware that Hofstra is not located in NYC but one hour away from the city in upstate NY.
As far as reputation is concerned, I would say #1 Hofstra, #2 St. Johns, dont know the third one you name. However, you should be aware that Hofstra is not located in NYC but one hour away from the city in upstate NY.

asdc

Jun 22, 2006 10:00

useful 0

Longisland University also does not seem to be located in New York City but somewhere in NY state (Orangeburg ??).
Longisland University also does not seem to be located in New York City but somewhere in NY state (Orangeburg ??).

Jun 22, 2006 05:04

useful 0

Thank you very much!!

Yes, I know the Hofstra's location, which is located to take about 1 hour from NYC(Manhattan). As your suggestion, had I better to go to Hofstra MBA course compared to St john's MBA because Hofstra's reputation is better than St John's and Hofstra's MBA couse is 2-year-fulltime-daytime compared to St john's 2-year-fulltime-evening? And Considering that St John's loacation is separated Manhattan, Queens and Staten island, the school and study atomosphere in Hofstra is better than St John's? Someone helps me!
Thank you very much!!

Yes, I know the Hofstra's location, which is located to take about 1 hour from NYC(Manhattan). As your suggestion, had I better to go to Hofstra MBA course compared to St john's MBA because Hofstra's reputation is better than St John's and Hofstra's MBA couse is 2-year-fulltime-daytime compared to St john's 2-year-fulltime-evening? And Considering that St John's loacation is separated Manhattan, Queens and Staten island, the school and study atomosphere in Hofstra is better than St John's? Someone helps me!

Roland

Jun 26, 2006 09:24

useful 0

Is St. John's located in Jamaica, the part of the city of New York close to JFK? Because if it is than the location couldn't be worse. I have passed jamaica several times when going to the airport and it is certainly not a safe place to hang around.
Is St. John's located in Jamaica, the part of the city of New York close to JFK? Because if it is than the location couldn't be worse. I have passed jamaica several times when going to the airport and it is certainly not a safe place to hang around.

Jun 27, 2006 12:16

useful 0

Thanks Roland,
Uh, Jamaica(Queens) is worse location and danger?? I didn't know it!! Thank you for your information!
Thanks Roland,
Uh, Jamaica(Queens) is worse location and danger?? I didn't know it!! Thank you for your information!

Roland

Jul 06, 2006 09:21

useful 0

I am not 100% sure. The neighborhood "Jamaica" in Queens, New York City itself is definitely not a nice place to hang out. However, since the postal address puts "Jamaica" as the city name instead of NYC, it is possible that there is also a city called Jamaica somwhere in NY state. I would double-check that in any case before accepting an offer. good luck!
I am not 100% sure. The neighborhood "Jamaica" in Queens, New York City itself is definitely not a nice place to hang out. However, since the postal address puts "Jamaica" as the city name instead of NYC, it is possible that there is also a city called Jamaica somwhere in NY state. I would double-check that in any case before accepting an offer. good luck!

Sep 21, 2006 02:31

useful 0

I'm interested to joint MBA in NYC, but I need suggestion, for finding the right MBA.

1. My GPA 2.7(suck, I know)
2. Need suggestion about university that can accept that.
I'm interested to joint MBA in NYC, but I need suggestion, for finding the right MBA.

guiseppe

Sep 25, 2006 03:38

useful 0

Does anyone know anything about the reputation of Mercy College's MBA program?
Does anyone know anything about the reputation of Mercy College's MBA program?

Oct 16, 2006 11:38

useful 0

Hi! I'm from Croatia. Graduated from Schiller International University in London. GPA 3,6

I would like to do my MBA in New York. I don't know which schools are good and where to apply. So please someone, who is familiar with it, give me some advice. My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks in advance
Hi! I'm from Croatia. Graduated from Schiller International University in London. GPA 3,6

I would like to do my MBA in New York. I don't know which schools are good and where to apply. So please someone, who is familiar with it, give me some advice. My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks in advance

Mindmaker

Oct 22, 2006 03:01

useful 0

You can 'Google" "NYC Universities and you will get a menu of most of the universities.
Or if you can type all this (Cut and paste in your browser, you will get quite a list.
http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&q=universities&near=New+York,+NY&sa=X&oi=local&ct=title
You can 'Google" "NYC Universities and you will get a menu of most of the universities.
Or if you can type all this (Cut and paste in your browser, you will get quite a list.
http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&q=universities&near=New+York,+NY&sa=X&oi=local&ct=title

Mindmaker

Oct 22, 2006 04:28

useful 0

Listen, you are obviously an intelligent person, but like the rest of us, you got into too much fun in college especially your early years -no?. Got bad grades, that you somewhat salvaged later , senior years perhaps, when you found out you might be flunking out. There are two ways to get over you poor GPA.
(1) Do a second Bachelors degree. Meaning find college that will allow you to do a major of the 2nd degree only, and, accept your other credits, even if they suck. Make sure those 12 or 15 hours are B's and A's. It does not take that long. Now that you are grown you can do this in less than a year (Five Courses in fall, Five coures in Spring And one or two courses in summmer, and you are done. Make sure the courses you study are somewhat close, so you can for the most part study once for two courses etc. you know the routine. You might find you have channelled your energy in the right direction. If you cannot maintain a B average, then maybe college is just not for you. BUT I beleive everyone can go thrpough college with flying colors if they put their mind to it.
(2) Find a graduate school that will take you on probation for the first 9 hrs (3) courses and maintain a B average or Ace the course, then you might be able to transfere to the Ivy leageu of your choice provided you score high on GRE/GMAT or their entrance exams. Don't waste your time on CLEP, Clep is designed for people who have actually done the courses and maintained an interest in the subject. It is nothing to do with your intelligence. They do not give you time to "solve" the problems. All you have time for is to pick and chose what you really know. If you are mortal like some of us and you have been out of school for a few months, that can prove to be an exercise in futility.
<blockquote>I'm interested to joint MBA in NYC, but I need suggestion, for finding the right MBA.

2. Need suggestion about university that can accept that.</blockquote>
Listen, you are obviously an intelligent person, but like the rest of us, you got into too much fun in college especially your early years -no?. Got bad grades, that you somewhat salvaged later , senior years perhaps, when you found out you might be flunking out. There are two ways to get over you poor GPA.
(1) Do a second Bachelors degree. Meaning find college that will allow you to do a major of the 2nd degree only, and, accept your other credits, even if they suck. Make sure those 12 or 15 hours are B's and A's. It does not take that long. Now that you are grown you can do this in less than a year (Five Courses in fall, Five coures in Spring And one or two courses in summmer, and you are done. Make sure the courses you study are somewhat close, so you can for the most part study once for two courses etc. you know the routine. You might find you have channelled your energy in the right direction. If you cannot maintain a B average, then maybe college is just not for you. BUT I beleive everyone can go thrpough college with flying colors if they put their mind to it.
(2) Find a graduate school that will take you on probation for the first 9 hrs (3) courses and maintain a B average or Ace the course, then you might be able to transfere to the Ivy leageu of your choice provided you score high on GRE/GMAT or their entrance exams. Don't waste your time on CLEP, Clep is designed for people who have actually done the courses and maintained an interest in the subject. It is nothing to do with your intelligence. They do not give you time to "solve" the problems. All you have time for is to pick and chose what you really know. If you are mortal like some of us and you have been out of school for a few months, that can prove to be an exercise in futility.

Hiroko

Oct 23, 2006 01:31

useful 0

Hello everybody,
I am interested in doing an MBA in New York, but I don't know anything, neither about the city, nor about the MBA programs offered. I'va read the posts, and some of the information of this website, but I would appreciate to know more inside information.
I know about the top schools, but what is there to say about the following programs?
- European School of Economics
- Manhattan Institute of Management (MIM)
- Metropolitan College of New York
- Niagara University
It is very important for me to able to live in NY city, and not in some nearby town.
Thanks,
Hiroko
Hello everybody,
I am interested in doing an MBA in New York, but I don't know anything, neither about the city, nor about the MBA programs offered. I'va read the posts, and some of the information of this website, but I would appreciate to know more inside information.
I know about the top schools, but what is there to say about the following programs?
- European School of Economics
- Manhattan Institute of Management (MIM)
- Metropolitan College of New York
- Niagara University
It is very important for me to able to live in NY city, and not in some nearby town.
Thanks,
Hiroko

Marsha

Nov 04, 2006 08:47

useful 0

All the schools you mention are in Manhattan, right in the center of NYC. Try the link to google maps mindmaker has posted above to search for the excact location. Another good link is http://www.mapquest.com
All the schools you mention are in Manhattan, right in the center of NYC. Try the link to google maps mindmaker has posted above to search for the excact location. Another good link is http://www.mapquest.com

Hiroko

Nov 30, 2006 08:47

useful 0

It's difficult to figure out how these schools are... About the MIM, I'm not so sure now, they just offer an Internat. MBA (what's the specific thing about that?), and their Partnerschools are the following in Europe, of which I didn't hear before:
EBS Paris, MBS Munich Business School, The Baltic Russian Institute, WELLER International Business School, Fachhochschule St. Pölten..
That's not the most prestigious schools I suppose?
It's difficult to figure out how these schools are... About the MIM, I'm not so sure now, they just offer an Internat. MBA (what's the specific thing about that?), and their Partnerschools are the following in Europe, of which I didn't hear before:
EBS Paris, MBS Munich Business School, The Baltic Russian Institute, WELLER International Business School, Fachhochschule St. Pölten..
That's not the most prestigious schools I suppose?

Dec 03, 2006 10:08

useful 0

they just offer an Internat. MBA (what's the specific thing about that?)

See http://www.find-mba.com/board/3083
<blockquote>they just offer an Internat. MBA (what's the specific thing about that?)
</blockquote>

See http://www.find-mba.com/board/3083

Dec 03, 2006 10:47

useful 0

It's difficult to figure out how these schools are...

As an international student I would try to concentrate on the top schools in NY, ie
# New York University (NYU) - Leonard N. Stern School of Business
# Columbia University - Columbia Business School (CBS)
# Cornell University - Johnson Graduate School of Management
# Fordham University
<blockquote>It's difficult to figure out how these schools are...
</blockquote>

As an international student I would try to concentrate on the top schools in NY, ie
# New York University (NYU) - Leonard N. Stern School of Business
# Columbia University - Columbia Business School (CBS)
# Cornell University - Johnson Graduate School of Management
# Fordham University

jcohen

Feb 16, 2007 10:09

useful 0

Hi guys!!!

out of all these schools Hofstra is your best choice by far
<blockquote>Hi guys!!!
Thanks a lot anyway!!!!!! </blockquote>

out of all these schools Hofstra is your best choice by far

jcohen

Feb 16, 2007 11:44

useful 0

Hofstra is on Long Island, not upstate! If you ever watched that movie "Wall Street", Long Island is where Gordon Gekko plays on the weekends after 100 hour weeks on Wall Street
Unlike other schools in the area it actually has a stunning campus and vibrant sports scene
it takes 30-40 min by train to get to Manhattan
<blockquote>As far as reputation is concerned, I would say #1 Hofstra, #2 St. Johns, dont know the third one you name. However, you should be aware that Hofstra is not located in NYC but one hour away from the city in upstate NY.</blockquote>

Hofstra is on Long Island, not upstate! If you ever watched that movie "Wall Street", Long Island is where Gordon Gekko plays on the weekends after 100 hour weeks on Wall Street
Unlike other schools in the area it actually has a stunning campus and vibrant sports scene
it takes 30-40 min by train to get to Manhattan

Feb 19, 2007 04:43

useful 0

So you'd actually say Hofstra is the best of all NY schools, better than Columbia, Cornell, Fordham, and NYU? Or did I get you wrong there..
So you'd actually say Hofstra is the best of all NY schools, better than Columbia, Cornell, Fordham, and NYU? Or did I get you wrong there..

jcohen

Feb 20, 2007 04:05

useful 0

tier one
columbia, nyu, cornell (this is not NYC region,Cornell is closer to Bufallo than NYC)

tier 2
hofstra, fordham

tier 3
pace, st johns, baruch

If you can get into tier one, GO! forget about the other schools.

If you cant then go to Hofstra, this is the school with your best bet of getting a good paying job on Wall Street.
<blockquote>So you'd actually say Hofstra is the best of all NY schools, better than Columbia, Cornell, Fordham, and NYU? Or did I get you wrong there..
</blockquote>

tier one
columbia, nyu, cornell (this is not NYC region,Cornell is closer to Bufallo than NYC)

tier 2
hofstra, fordham

tier 3
pace, st johns, baruch

If you can get into tier one, GO! forget about the other schools.

If you cant then go to Hofstra, this is the school with your best bet of getting a good paying job on Wall Street.

Feb 21, 2007 08:11

useful 0

I see, that's the idea that I had as well. But you seem to be a big fan of Hofstra, why that?
I see, that's the idea that I had as well. But you seem to be a big fan of Hofstra, why that?

jcohen

Feb 22, 2007 09:33

useful 0

I am a big fan for getting your $$ worth education.
I believe that in NYC outside of NYU and Columbia Hofstra is the best value.

However in the US, University of Florida is the best value by far.
<blockquote>I see, that's the idea that I had as well. But you seem to be a big fan of Hofstra, why that?
</blockquote>

I am a big fan for getting your $$ worth education.
I believe that in NYC outside of NYU and Columbia Hofstra is the best value.

However in the US, University of Florida is the best value by far.

Feb 23, 2007 01:33

useful 0

Sure, that's what we are all looking for, but difficult to judge from outside. I really appreciate your comments here!
The details you give about Hofstra make it sound a very good place to study, true. How do you happen to know about this, did you study there or know people who did their MBA there?
Sure, that's what we are all looking for, but difficult to judge from outside. I really appreciate your comments here!
The details you give about Hofstra make it sound a very good place to study, true. How do you happen to know about this, did you study there or know people who did their MBA there?

G3XL

Feb 24, 2007 08:37

useful 0

To Adriana_Garcia,

I'm going to be quite clear about this. Outside of Columbia and NYU in New York City, St. John's is the next strongest program (Cornell would be 3rd, if the focus was on New York State). You need to take a hard look at each school's infrastructure, as well as media ranking and other information. This is about making an informed decision. Hofstra would have a pretty difficult time competing against Seton Hall, let alone St. John's or Fordham. If possible, it is strongly recommended that you pay a visit or two to each school under consideration, so as to gain an accurate perception of which candidate schools should remain as targets.

G3XL

PS - Again, to remind poster jcohen, Hofstra is not on the level of Fordham, let alone St. John's. Don't believe me? Then read this and see if you can find Hofstra mentioned anywhere in this NYU Stern article about New York business schools:

http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/news/news/2003/august/0804crainsny.html
To Adriana_Garcia,

I'm going to be quite clear about this. Outside of Columbia and NYU in New York City, St. John's is the next strongest program (Cornell would be 3rd, if the focus was on New York State). You need to take a hard look at each school's infrastructure, as well as media ranking and other information. This is about making an informed decision. Hofstra would have a pretty difficult time competing against Seton Hall, let alone St. John's or Fordham. If possible, it is strongly recommended that you pay a visit or two to each school under consideration, so as to gain an accurate perception of which candidate schools should remain as targets.

G3XL

PS - Again, to remind poster jcohen, Hofstra is not on the level of Fordham, let alone St. John's. Don't believe me? Then read this and see if you can find Hofstra mentioned anywhere in this NYU Stern article about New York business schools:

Malia

Feb 25, 2007 11:11

useful 0

I don't want to sound rude, but this questions shows that you have not done any serious research about American business schools so far. I would not only rely on message boards like this before making choices on where to spend your 60k. Boards like this may be useful to make an informed decision, but they cannot replace your own research. You should look at rankings such as the one mentioned on this site, take a close look at the university websites, talk to alumni, talk to your professors, colleagues etc. etc.
<blockquote>So you'd actually say Hofstra is the best of all NY schools, better than Columbia, Cornell, Fordham, and NYU? Or did I get you wrong there..
</blockquote>

I don't want to sound rude, but this questions shows that you have not done any serious research about American business schools so far. I would not only rely on message boards like this before making choices on where to spend your 60k. Boards like this may be useful to make an informed decision, but they cannot replace your own research. You should look at rankings such as the one mentioned on this site, take a close look at the university websites, talk to alumni, talk to your professors, colleagues etc. etc.

Feb 26, 2007 05:00

useful 0

Thank your for your warning Malia. Of course, I will do a different type of research than just the info at this board, I know it is very subjective.
The setence you quote by me was meant in a different way though, I was very surprised that someone would name Hoftra as n°1, that's why I double checked
Thank your for your warning Malia. Of course, I will do a different type of research than just the info at this board, I know it is very subjective.
The setence you quote by me was meant in a different way though, I was very surprised that someone would name Hoftra as n°1, that's why I double checked

jcohen

Feb 27, 2007 09:11

useful 0

I did not name Hofstra #1
please re-read prior posts.

Once again and for the last time!

FIRST TIER IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK
NYU and COlumbia (Cornell,Rochester- upstate, not NYC)

then Hofstra, Fordham

then St Johns, Baruch, Pace ...
<blockquote>Thank your for your warning Malia. Of course, I will do a different type of research than just the info at this board, I know it is very subjective.
The setence you quote by me was meant in a different way though, I was very surprised that someone would name Hoftra as n°1, that's why I double checked </blockquote>

I did not name Hofstra #1
please re-read prior posts.

Once again and for the last time!

FIRST TIER IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK
NYU and COlumbia (Cornell,Rochester- upstate, not NYC)

then Hofstra, Fordham

then St Johns, Baruch, Pace ...

Feb 28, 2007 08:29

useful 0

I guess we can chose five MBA school in Manhattan.
1. Columbia
2. NYU
3. St. Johns (Manhattan Campus)
4. Fordham
5. Cuny Baruch
I ask my friend who goes to Fordham, she told me we can select Forham's MBA program not only at Bronx but also at Manhattan campus. Cuny Barch is located at around 23rd st. Pretty nice location. St. John's manhattan campus is located at near TriBeCa. Hofstra is located very far from Manhattan....
1. Columbia
2. NYU
4. Fordham
5. Cuny Baruch
I ask my friend who goes to Fordham, she told me we can select Forham's MBA program not only at Bronx but also at Manhattan campus. Cuny Barch is located at around 23rd st. Pretty nice location. St. John's manhattan campus is located at near TriBeCa. Hofstra is located very far from Manhattan....

jcohen

Feb 28, 2007 03:35

useful 0

1. Columbia
2. NYU
4. Fordham
5. Cuny Baruch

Hofstra is about 30-40 min by train to Penn Station (34th St/Broadway),depending on where you live in Manhattan, if you do good luck with rent payments. it might take you similiar amount of time to arrive at other schools by subway...

Bottom line is this you want Manhattan/Wall Street connections you dont necessarily want to live there as it is ridiculously expensive and you still have to use subway to move around manhattan. Recent wall street boom has pushed apartment vacancy to near zero, and you have to compete with 10 young investment bankers for anything decent showing up. You are better off in the suburbs, Hofstra, enjoying the campus life and hopping on a train if you want to go to the city. Once again every major wall street firm recruits at Hofstra, the only thing you will be missing there is the NYC rat race, and headaches when you hand over your rent $$.

On a sidenote there is no way you can rank St. Johns ahead of Fordham...
<blockquote>I guess we can chose five MBA school in Manhattan.
1. Columbia
2. NYU
4. Fordham
5. Cuny Baruch

</blockquote>

Hofstra is about 30-40 min by train to Penn Station (34th St/Broadway),depending on where you live in Manhattan, if you do good luck with rent payments. it might take you similiar amount of time to arrive at other schools by subway...

Bottom line is this you want Manhattan/Wall Street connections you dont necessarily want to live there as it is ridiculously expensive and you still have to use subway to move around manhattan. Recent wall street boom has pushed apartment vacancy to near zero, and you have to compete with 10 young investment bankers for anything decent showing up. You are better off in the suburbs, Hofstra, enjoying the campus life and hopping on a train if you want to go to the city. Once again every major wall street firm recruits at Hofstra, the only thing you will be missing there is the NYC rat race, and headaches when you hand over your rent $$.

On a sidenote there is no way you can rank St. Johns ahead of Fordham...

jcohen

Feb 28, 2007 03:23

useful 0

To Adriana_Garcia,

G3XL

the article is about strictly NYC schools and is from 2003.

Did you know that Hofstra was part of NYU until 1963?
NYU will never have anything good to say about Hofstra since they separated from them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstra

St. Johns is a joke academically, thats what I have to say about them, if it wasnt for their basketball team playing in madison square garden, nobody would even know they exist......and how about the campus and its location in Jamaica??
<blockquote>To Adriana_Garcia,

G3XL

http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/news/news/2003/august/0804crainsny.html</blockquote>

the article is about strictly NYC schools and is from 2003.

Did you know that Hofstra was part of NYU until 1963?
NYU will never have anything good to say about Hofstra since they separated from them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstra

St. Johns is a joke academically, thats what I have to say about them, if it wasnt for their basketball team playing in madison square garden, nobody would even know they exist......and how about the campus and its location in Jamaica??

Feb 28, 2007 04:34

useful 0

I foget to say about Pace. Pace's campus is at Brooklyn Bridge near wall street.
Above I mentioned schools, I don't list according to MBA rank. Hofstra is good? I don't think so compared to Pace and St. Johns.
I foget to say about Pace. Pace's campus is at Brooklyn Bridge near wall street.
Above I mentioned schools, I don't list according to MBA rank. Hofstra is good? I don't think so compared to Pace and St. Johns.

G3XL

Mar 01, 2007 10:04

useful 0

This message is for the individual pushing Hofstra.

No one from Hofstra should be commenting about St. John's period. Let's see. St. John's owns the School of Risk Management in the Wall Street area of Manhattan, hosts the annual Investment Management Conference (See University of Michigan Ross School of Business web site), recently was paid visits by MIT Atmospheric Prof. Emanuel Kerry, KKR's Henry Kravis (and Joseph Stiglitz in one of the prior Henry George Economics Lecture Series), established the Financial Information Laboratory (will be two labs located in Manhattan and Queens), recently raised the amount of their graduate level Student Management Investment Fund to $1 million, redesigned its MBA program with considerably more strategic and integrative orientation, has a dean with an undergrad and a dual PhD degree from Stanford and UChicago (was on Cornell's faculty for 14 years), recently was ranked in Beyond Grey Pinstripes as one of the top MBA programs for social responsibility, places more of its grads in bulge bracket IB than other regionally ranked programs, and has a higher total and per-capita bschool endowment.

Wait...there's more...St. John's Law is ranked number 4 in NYS in first-time bar passage rates directly behind Cornell, NYU, and Columbia, while Hofstra Law has the worst bar passage rate in NY State (even lower than that of CUNY Law). Again, someone pushing Hofstra has no business criticizing St. John's. In 1963, NYU was not a well known school, and nearly went bankrupt, during the 1970's before their 35 year capital campaign run.

Before you make such comments, you should take a look at the following post from another discussion board:

----------------------------------------
To: bulaien79

Don't know anything about the CIS programs specifically, but in my opinion SJU's reputation is far better than that of Baruch or Hofstra. I may be tainted on the Hofstra side - about 5 or 6 years ago I worked at a firm with this jackass who had an MBA from Hofstra. If it tells you anything, he was working the phones at a brokerage firm making $35 - $45k - not good for someone with an MBA. I had no MBA and a degree in Poli-sci and was making more than him with much more responsibility. I'm sure not everyone from Hofstra is a dolt, but this may be representative of the "Alumni Network" that you'll be looking to for jobs and to make a good impression so employers think favorably about the school. Seems like a long-shot to me.... If the programs are comaprable, go to SJU.

Also, Bloomberg terminals don't necessarily add to the quality of a business school. And your emotionally charged assertions about recruiting in IB at Hofstra are highly disputed. The only two regional programs in the New York Metropolitan area that appear consistently on the lists of the IBs are St. John's and Fordham. All the other schools are nationally ranked. Again, the NYSSA every year selects 8 top area business schools for the "Annual Investment Research Challenge": Hofstra has never been selected, while St. John's is selected every year along with schools like Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Rutgers, Yale, and Seton Hall.
This message is for the individual pushing Hofstra.

No one from Hofstra should be commenting about St. John's period. Let's see. St. John's owns the School of Risk Management in the Wall Street area of Manhattan, hosts the annual Investment Management Conference (See University of Michigan Ross School of Business web site), recently was paid visits by MIT Atmospheric Prof. Emanuel Kerry, KKR's Henry Kravis (and Joseph Stiglitz in one of the prior Henry George Economics Lecture Series), established the Financial Information Laboratory (will be two labs located in Manhattan and Queens), recently raised the amount of their graduate level Student Management Investment Fund to $1 million, redesigned its MBA program with considerably more strategic and integrative orientation, has a dean with an undergrad and a dual PhD degree from Stanford and UChicago (was on Cornell's faculty for 14 years), recently was ranked in Beyond Grey Pinstripes as one of the top MBA programs for social responsibility, places more of its grads in bulge bracket IB than other regionally ranked programs, and has a higher total and per-capita bschool endowment.

Wait...there's more...St. John's Law is ranked number 4 in NYS in first-time bar passage rates directly behind Cornell, NYU, and Columbia, while Hofstra Law has the worst bar passage rate in NY State (even lower than that of CUNY Law). Again, someone pushing Hofstra has no business criticizing St. John's. In 1963, NYU was not a well known school, and nearly went bankrupt, during the 1970's before their 35 year capital campaign run.

Before you make such comments, you should take a look at the following post from another discussion board:

To: bulaien79

Don't know anything about the CIS programs specifically, but in my opinion SJU's reputation is far better than that of Baruch or Hofstra. I may be tainted on the Hofstra side - about 5 or 6 years ago I worked at a firm with this jackass who had an MBA from Hofstra. If it tells you anything, he was working the phones at a brokerage firm making $35 - $45k - not good for someone with an MBA. I had no MBA and a degree in Poli-sci and was making more than him with much more responsibility. I'm sure not everyone from Hofstra is a dolt, but this may be representative of the "Alumni Network" that you'll be looking to for jobs and to make a good impression so employers think favorably about the school. Seems like a long-shot to me.... If the programs are comaprable, go to SJU.

Also, Bloomberg terminals don't necessarily add to the quality of a business school. And your emotionally charged assertions about recruiting in IB at Hofstra are highly disputed. The only two regional programs in the New York Metropolitan area that appear consistently on the lists of the IBs are St. John's and Fordham. All the other schools are nationally ranked. Again, the NYSSA every year selects 8 top area business schools for the "Annual Investment Research Challenge": Hofstra has never been selected, while St. John's is selected every year along with schools like Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Rutgers, Yale, and Seton Hall.

jcohen

Mar 01, 2007 04:16

useful 0

I'm sorry but St Johns sucks period.

lets see Mr. Tobin (St Johns), CFO at Chase?
Mr. Zarb (Hofstra), former head of Nasdaq, and current CEO at AIG

Mr. Tobin could be serving lunch to Mr. Zarb in the real world, he could also be serving lunch to Mr. Sodano (current dean of business school at Hofstra, and former head of Amex)

So there it is for the alumni success on Wall Street.

#1 dont just talk, go to career center webpage and look who recruits where.
#2 go on blomberg and look how many senior level Wall Street professionals you will find from each school.

after all you are going to get an MBA to get a job not learn, thats the reality.
I'm sorry but St Johns sucks period.

lets see Mr. Tobin (St Johns), CFO at Chase?
Mr. Zarb (Hofstra), former head of Nasdaq, and current CEO at AIG

Mr. Tobin could be serving lunch to Mr. Zarb in the real world, he could also be serving lunch to Mr. Sodano (current dean of business school at Hofstra, and former head of Amex)

So there it is for the alumni success on Wall Street.

#1 dont just talk, go to career center webpage and look who recruits where.
#2 go on blomberg and look how many senior level Wall Street professionals you will find from each school.

after all you are going to get an MBA to get a job not learn, thats the reality.

G3XL

Mar 01, 2007 04:31

useful 0

Face facts...St. John's is the city's next up and coming business school, and Hofstra (which is garbage nonetheless) is nowhere to be found. And since you incorrectly extrapolate Zarb's position in finance, from a dean's background, it's clear that I won this debate rather easily, based on factual evidence and valid conclusions (about the schools, not the deans). Now that you want to harp on recruiting, here's some food for thought, regarding "the reality":

----------------------------------------------
To: Stern1st

I was talking to a friend at JP Morgan yesterday who explained to me their entire recruiting process for banking. Here goes:

They have a list of appx 15 target schools where they actually go on campus to recruit. These schools are: Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Wharton, Univ of Chicago, Kellogg, Dartmouth, Stanford, UCLA, Cornell, Fordham & St. John's Univ (Obviously, I'm missing a few names, but you get the picture). Fordham & St. John's are local New York schools with strong alumni bases in finance and banking, and a few of their alums are fairly high up in the food chain in banking. Recruiting deadlines for summer internships for these 10 schools are in end Nov, early Dec. Offers are made by early Feb. Once this process is completed, any remaining positions are open to all comers. That is when people in third tier schools get a shot at Morgan.

Next time, put your money where your mouth is.
Face facts...St. John's is the city's next up and coming business school, and Hofstra (which is garbage nonetheless) is nowhere to be found. And since you incorrectly extrapolate Zarb's position in finance, from a dean's background, it's clear that I won this debate rather easily, based on factual evidence and valid conclusions (about the schools, not the deans). Now that you want to harp on recruiting, here's some food for thought, regarding "the reality":

To: Stern1st

I was talking to a friend at JP Morgan yesterday who explained to me their entire recruiting process for banking. Here goes:

They have a list of appx 15 target schools where they actually go on campus to recruit. These schools are: Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Wharton, Univ of Chicago, Kellogg, Dartmouth, Stanford, UCLA, Cornell, Fordham & St. John's Univ (Obviously, I'm missing a few names, but you get the picture). Fordham & St. John's are local New York schools with strong alumni bases in finance and banking, and a few of their alums are fairly high up in the food chain in banking. Recruiting deadlines for summer internships for these 10 schools are in end Nov, early Dec. Offers are made by early Feb. Once this process is completed, any remaining positions are open to all comers. That is when people in third tier schools get a shot at Morgan.

Mindmaker

Mar 02, 2007 02:30

useful 0

A time will come when people will be judged (and rewarded) in line with their achievement. I have no doubt that Tier 1 schools go after bright minds, however no body has conclusively defined what a bright mind really is. Just because a person might be a type A with photograohic memory, complimented by an internal mind computer to figure out things quickly etc. is that what we call a broght person. How about the almost imobile recluse, slurred speech who see through another person's mind and sees the world quite differently? What I am trying to say, is you are better off at a University that makes you comfortable and fits your character or culture enabling you to be the best sponge that you can be. Comparing schools is a game of the mindless. I have both tier1 and 3rd tier university employees, the only diffrence is tier 1 students are spoiled and think they are destined to be one of the significant C's in an organization.
Our culture is such that we do quiver on site in the presents of a University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, NYU (Stern), Northwestern (Kellog) etc. These schools are good schools, but there are many other newer (..and perhaps) unknown schools that are excellent too. Have you ever sean the profile of most proffessors at these top Tier Schools? Most of them did not go to Top Tier schools! What does that tell you? Me?, it tellsm me that all universities respect each other and they know what their main purpose in life is. To make money, it is a business folks. You can be a Phd, by educating yourself, travelling the worls understanding cultures etc, but ofcourse no one in the "recognizing business" will recognize you. So of to University you go. But folks don't beat yourseves over the head about NYU, St Johns, Georgetown, Columbia, Harvard etc. are better than the other. Each University has its own credo and values, but they all share one common goal. To get Money through you somehow, now or in future. Education, for the most part is a ripoff. How many of us use that Calculus, or Philosphy, how many even practice their proffession ethically. Think about it. And what is wrong with Basketball, Look at all the economy expansion it brings.
Go North Carolina!!!!
A time will come when people will be judged (and rewarded) in line with their achievement. I have no doubt that Tier 1 schools go after bright minds, however no body has conclusively defined what a bright mind really is. Just because a person might be a type A with photograohic memory, complimented by an internal mind computer to figure out things quickly etc. is that what we call a broght person. How about the almost imobile recluse, slurred speech who see through another person's mind and sees the world quite differently? What I am trying to say, is you are better off at a University that makes you comfortable and fits your character or culture enabling you to be the best sponge that you can be. Comparing schools is a game of the mindless. I have both tier1 and 3rd tier university employees, the only diffrence is tier 1 students are spoiled and think they are destined to be one of the significant C's in an organization.
Our culture is such that we do quiver on site in the presents of a University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, NYU (Stern), Northwestern (Kellog) etc. These schools are good schools, but there are many other newer (..and perhaps) unknown schools that are excellent too. Have you ever sean the profile of most proffessors at these top Tier Schools? Most of them did not go to Top Tier schools! What does that tell you? Me?, it tellsm me that all universities respect each other and they know what their main purpose in life is. To make money, it is a business folks. You can be a Phd, by educating yourself, travelling the worls understanding cultures etc, but ofcourse no one in the "recognizing business" will recognize you. So of to University you go. But folks don't beat yourseves over the head about NYU, St Johns, Georgetown, Columbia, Harvard etc. are better than the other. Each University has its own credo and values, but they all share one common goal. To get Money through you somehow, now or in future. Education, for the most part is a ripoff. How many of us use that Calculus, or Philosphy, how many even practice their proffession ethically. Think about it. And what is wrong with Basketball, Look at all the economy expansion it brings.
Go North Carolina!!!!

Hiroko

Mar 03, 2007 05:52

useful 0

Hello guys, don't get mad at eachother ! ;)
I'm considering to do an MBA in NYC in 2008. As I am not sure whether I can make into the top programs (NYU Stern, CBS) so I plan to apply to some lower ranked schools as well. I would would appreciate if anyone could add some information about Hofstra, Fordham, St. John's, Baruch Zicklin. Has anyone in this board studied at these schools? Thanks
Hello guys, don't get mad at eachother ! ;)
I'm considering to do an MBA in NYC in 2008. As I am not sure whether I can make into the top programs (NYU Stern, CBS) so I plan to apply to some lower ranked schools as well. I would would appreciate if anyone could add some information about Hofstra, Fordham, St. John's, Baruch Zicklin. Has anyone in this board studied at these schools? Thanks

jcohen

Mar 03, 2007 06:08

useful 0

http://www.hofstra.edu/Academics/Colleges/Zarb/index.html
http://www.hofstra.edu/Academics/Business/TradingRoom/index_TradingRoom.cfm

RECRUITING COMPANIES AT HOFSTRA
You wont get the same education at Hofstra compared to NYU or Columbia, but you will get a chance to interview with 80% of the same Wall Street companies on campus. Resume can only get you so far, in fact it can ony get you an opportunity in that interview room. What you do there, how you present yourself, either gets you the job or not.

Selected Employers Visiting Campus in Recent Years

1-800-Flowers.com

ABC Supply Company

Abercrombie & Fitch

Accredited Home Lenders

Adults and Children with Learning and Developmental Disabilities

ADP

Advanced Acoustic Concepts, Inc.

Aerotek

Ahead of the PACE Promotions

AHRC- Nassau

Albrecht, Viggiano, Zureck and Co., P.C.

Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Allegis Group

American Express Tax and Business Services

American International Group, Inc.

American Stock Exchange

Armani Exchange

Astoria Federal Savings

Atlantic Video @ The Manhattan Center

Bank of America

The Bank of New York

BARC USA

BDO Seidman

Bear Stearns & Company, Inc.

Bed Bath & Beyond

Berdon LLP

Bethpage Federal Credit Union

Bloomingdale's

Board of Equalization

Bookspan

Brookhaven Town Democratic Committee

CA

Cablevision Systems Corporation

Calico Cottage Inc.

Callaghan Nawrocki LLP

Canine Companions for Independence

CareerBuilder.com

CBS News

Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)

Citibank North America

Citigroup - GCIB

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

CompUSA
Con Edison

Cornick, Garber & Sandler, LLP

Coughlin Foundotoso Cullen & Danowski LLP

Cox Broadcasting Companies

Deloitte & Touche

Deutsche Bank

DOAR Litigation Consulting

DOJ/Drug Enforcement Administration

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Ernst and Young LLP

Estée Lauder Companies

Equinox Fitness Clubs

Family and Children's Association

Family Residences and Essential Enterprises

Farber, Blicht, Eyerman & Herzog, LLP

Feldman, Meinberg and Co. LLP

Firestone Complete Car Care

First American Title Insurance Company

First Investors Corporation

First Long Island Investors, LLC

Fitch Ratings

Forex Capital Markets

Fortunoff

Franklin First Financial, Ltd.

Friedberg JCC

Friedman, LLP

Frost & Sullivan

GEICO

Gettry Marcus Stern & Lehrer, CPA

Global Industrial Equipment

Goldman Sachs

Grant Thornton LLP

Grassi & Co. CPA's, P.C.

Great Neck Park District

Griesmeyer & Associates

Guardian First Funding Group

H2M Group

The Hain Celestial Group

Henry Schein, Inc.

The Hershey Company

Hertz

Holtz Rubenstein Reminick LLP

HSBC Bank USA, National Association

Imagistics International, Inc.

Integrated Business Systems, Inc.

Internal Revenue Service

Ivy Asset Management Corp.

Jesuit Volunteer Corps

JH Cohn, LLP

Johnson & Johnson

JP Morgan Chase

Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions

Katz Media Group, Inc.

KeySpan

KPMG LLP

LaBranche Structured Products LLC

Landtek Group, The

L. Belgraier, CPA, PC

Liberty Mutual Insurance Co.

Linens 'N Things

Loeb and Troper

Loeffler Seltzer and Floch, LLP

Long Island Association for AIDS Care, Inc. (LIAAC)

Macy's East

Mahoney Cohen and Co., CPA., P.C.

Marcum & Kliegman LLP

Marcus & Company LLP

Marden, Harrison and Kreuter, CPAs, P.C.

Margolin Winer and Evens LLP

Marine Officer Selection Office, NY

Marks Paneth & Shron Company LLP

The Maurer Foundation

Maxim Healthcare Services

MBS Insight, Inc.

McCoy Consultants Ltd.

MEDFONE, Inc.

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

MercyFirst

MetLife Information Technology

MetLife/Goodman Financial Group

Metro Door

Metro One Loss Prevention Services Group

Mil-Spec Industries Corp.

Millennium Communications, Inc.

Moore Wallace, an RR Donnelley Co.

Morgan Stanley

Mortgage Line Financial Corporation

MTA New York City Transit

MTV Networks

Nassau County Government

Nassau County Probation Department

NEFCU: Nassau Educators Federal Credit Union

National Center for Disability Services (Abilities!)

New Century Mortgage Corp.

New Line Cinema

New York County District Attorney's Office

New York Life

New York State Senate

New York Stock Exchange

New York Times Company, The

News 12 Networks

North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System

The NPD Group, Inc.

Nussbaum, Yates & Wolpow, PC

The Nutty Irishman

NYC Fire Department

NYPD Police Cadet Corps

NYU Medical Center

Office of U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer

Office of the State Comptroller

Open Link Financial, Inc.

Pall Corporation

Park Shore Country Day Camp

PeaceCorps

Pfizer, Inc.

Pine Forest Summer Camps

PricewaterhouseCoopers

Primerica Financial Services

Princeton Review, The

Prudential Financial

Protiviti

Publishers Clearing House

Raich, Ende, Malter & Co. LLP

Rainbow Media/Cablevision

Risk Management Planning Group, Inc., The

Rosen, Seymour, Shapss, Martin & Co. LLP

Rothstein, Kass, and Co., P.C.

Russell Bedford

Rynkar, Vail & Barrett, LLP

Sanofi Aventis

Schoenfeld Mendelsohn Goldfarb

Schultheis & Panettieri

Schwartz & Company, LLP

Sendtraffic.com Inc.

Setton International Foods, Inc.

The Sherwin-Williams Company

Sleepy's, The Mattress Professionals

Sony Pictures Entertainment

Spherion Professional Services

Sprint

St. Francis Hospital - The Heart Center

State Bank of Long Island

Sunrise Assisted Living

S.W. Bach & Company

Symbol Technologies, Inc.

Synovate

Target Corporation

TempTrends New York, Inc.

TheraCare

Tritium Card Services

Triumvirate Environmental

United States Army Healthcare

United States Navy

United States Navy Recruiting District of New York

United States Securities and Exchange Commission

United Cerebral Palsy of Nassau County

United Supply Systems

Vector

Velocity Sports Performance

Verizon Wireless
Viacom/MTV Networks

W.B. Mason Co., Inc.

Walgreens

Weiser and Co., LLP

Wells Fargo Business Credit, Inc.

Wells Fargo Financial

Westrock Advisors, Inc.

Winthrop-University Hospital

YAI (National Institute for People with Disabilities)
http://www.hofstra.edu/Academics/Colleges/Zarb/index.html
http://www.hofstra.edu/Academics/Business/TradingRoom/index_TradingRoom.cfm

RECRUITING COMPANIES AT HOFSTRA
You wont get the same education at Hofstra compared to NYU or Columbia, but you will get a chance to interview with 80% of the same Wall Street companies on campus. Resume can only get you so far, in fact it can ony get you an opportunity in that interview room. What you do there, how you present yourself, either gets you the job or not.

Selected Employers Visiting Campus in Recent Years

1-800-Flowers.com

ABC Supply Company

Abercrombie & Fitch

Accredited Home Lenders

Adults and Children with Learning and Developmental Disabilities

ADP

Advanced Acoustic Concepts, Inc.

Aerotek

Ahead of the PACE Promotions

AHRC- Nassau

Albrecht, Viggiano, Zureck and Co., P.C.

Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Allegis Group

American Express Tax and Business Services

American International Group, Inc.

American Stock Exchange

Armani Exchange

Astoria Federal Savings

Atlantic Video @ The Manhattan Center

Bank of America

The Bank of New York

BARC USA

BDO Seidman

Bear Stearns & Company, Inc.

Bed Bath & Beyond

Berdon LLP

Bethpage Federal Credit Union

Bloomingdale's

Board of Equalization

Bookspan

Brookhaven Town Democratic Committee

CA

Cablevision Systems Corporation

Calico Cottage Inc.

Callaghan Nawrocki LLP

Canine Companions for Independence

CareerBuilder.com

CBS News

Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)

Citibank North America

Citigroup - GCIB

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

CompUSA
Con Edison

Cornick, Garber & Sandler, LLP

Coughlin Foundotoso Cullen & Danowski LLP

Cox Broadcasting Companies

Deloitte & Touche

Deutsche Bank

DOAR Litigation Consulting

DOJ/Drug Enforcement Administration

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Ernst and Young LLP

Estée Lauder Companies

Equinox Fitness Clubs

Family and Children's Association

Family Residences and Essential Enterprises

Farber, Blicht, Eyerman & Herzog, LLP

Feldman, Meinberg and Co. LLP

Firestone Complete Car Care

First American Title Insurance Company

First Investors Corporation

First Long Island Investors, LLC

Fitch Ratings

Forex Capital Markets

Fortunoff

Franklin First Financial, Ltd.

Friedberg JCC

Friedman, LLP

Frost & Sullivan

GEICO

Gettry Marcus Stern & Lehrer, CPA

Global Industrial Equipment

Goldman Sachs

Grant Thornton LLP

Grassi & Co. CPA's, P.C.

Great Neck Park District

Griesmeyer & Associates

Guardian First Funding Group

H2M Group

The Hain Celestial Group

Henry Schein, Inc.

The Hershey Company

Hertz

Holtz Rubenstein Reminick LLP

HSBC Bank USA, National Association

Imagistics International, Inc.

Integrated Business Systems, Inc.

Internal Revenue Service

Ivy Asset Management Corp.

Jesuit Volunteer Corps

JH Cohn, LLP

Johnson & Johnson

JP Morgan Chase

Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions

Katz Media Group, Inc.

KeySpan

KPMG LLP

LaBranche Structured Products LLC

Landtek Group, The

L. Belgraier, CPA, PC

Liberty Mutual Insurance Co.

Linens 'N Things

Loeb and Troper

Loeffler Seltzer and Floch, LLP

Long Island Association for AIDS Care, Inc. (LIAAC)

Macy's East

Mahoney Cohen and Co., CPA., P.C.

Marcum & Kliegman LLP

Marcus & Company LLP

Marden, Harrison and Kreuter, CPAs, P.C.

Margolin Winer and Evens LLP

Marine Officer Selection Office, NY

Marks Paneth & Shron Company LLP

The Maurer Foundation

Maxim Healthcare Services

MBS Insight, Inc.

McCoy Consultants Ltd.

MEDFONE, Inc.

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

MercyFirst

MetLife Information Technology

MetLife/Goodman Financial Group

Metro Door

Metro One Loss Prevention Services Group

Mil-Spec Industries Corp.

Millennium Communications, Inc.

Moore Wallace, an RR Donnelley Co.

Morgan Stanley

Mortgage Line Financial Corporation

MTA New York City Transit

MTV Networks

Nassau County Government

Nassau County Probation Department

NEFCU: Nassau Educators Federal Credit Union

National Center for Disability Services (Abilities!)

New Century Mortgage Corp.

New Line Cinema

New York County District Attorney's Office

New York Life

New York State Senate

New York Stock Exchange

New York Times Company, The

News 12 Networks

North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System

The NPD Group, Inc.

Nussbaum, Yates & Wolpow, PC

The Nutty Irishman

NYC Fire Department

NYPD Police Cadet Corps

NYU Medical Center

Office of U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer

Office of the State Comptroller

Open Link Financial, Inc.

Pall Corporation

Park Shore Country Day Camp

PeaceCorps

Pfizer, Inc.

Pine Forest Summer Camps

PricewaterhouseCoopers

Primerica Financial Services

Princeton Review, The

Prudential Financial

Protiviti

Publishers Clearing House

Raich, Ende, Malter & Co. LLP

Rainbow Media/Cablevision

Risk Management Planning Group, Inc., The

Rosen, Seymour, Shapss, Martin & Co. LLP

Rothstein, Kass, and Co., P.C.

Russell Bedford

Rynkar, Vail & Barrett, LLP

Sanofi Aventis

Schoenfeld Mendelsohn Goldfarb

Schultheis & Panettieri

Schwartz & Company, LLP

Sendtraffic.com Inc.

Setton International Foods, Inc.

The Sherwin-Williams Company

Sleepy's, The Mattress Professionals

Sony Pictures Entertainment

Spherion Professional Services

Sprint

St. Francis Hospital - The Heart Center

State Bank of Long Island

Sunrise Assisted Living

S.W. Bach & Company

Symbol Technologies, Inc.

Synovate

Target Corporation

TempTrends New York, Inc.

TheraCare

Tritium Card Services

Triumvirate Environmental

United States Army Healthcare

United States Navy

United States Navy Recruiting District of New York

United States Securities and Exchange Commission

United Cerebral Palsy of Nassau County

United Supply Systems

Vector

Velocity Sports Performance

Verizon Wireless
Viacom/MTV Networks

W.B. Mason Co., Inc.

Walgreens

Weiser and Co., LLP

Wells Fargo Business Credit, Inc.

Wells Fargo Financial

Westrock Advisors, Inc.

Winthrop-University Hospital

YAI (National Institute for People with Disabilities)

RexD

Mar 11, 2007 12:10

useful 0

Hiroko,

I graduated from Hofstra Univeristy as an undegraduate in 2003. If you really want to go to a school in NYC or in the greater metro area I would list them in this sequence:

1.Columbia
2.NYU
3.Fordham
4.St. Johns
5.Hofstra
6.Baruch
7.Pace

Hofstra is a relatively young university when compared to many of the institutions in the area, which means that they are still working through some wrinkles. I would say that right now Hofstra is at the stage that NYU was in the 1970s. The MBA program is heading in the right direction, but if you do some research you will see that they have a ton of work left to do. Dont get me wrong, I love Hofstra, however I am also enough of a realist to have gone to a higher caliber school, even though I was accepted into Hofstras MBA program.
Is your GMAT score above the 600-650 range? Was your overall GPA as an undergraduate above the 3.3-3.5 range? Does your work experience exceed 4-6 years? Do you have any management experience? Are you planning to apply to 5 schools or more? If your answer is yes to the above questions than I would advise you to apply to:

1.NYU: Although extremely expensive excluding the cost of living in NYC, the rewards and benefits of having that diploma from that school will be well worth the insane loan amount that you will be taking out. A very close friend graduated from the Stern School of Business last year, with an estimated $85,000 in loans. Now he is making $90,000 with the potential of reaching 6 figures within the next two years.
2.Fordham University: Very good school that often gets overshadowed by NYU and Columbia. You will get the exact same education that you would from NYU, at a cheaper rate. It does not provide you with the almost guarantee of landing that $75K plus salary that you would get from NYU, but you will certainly be considered for some high caliber opportunities.
3.Columbia: See NYU, only more prestigious and selective. Virtually guarantees you a top-notch job before graduating.
4.Baruch: Best bang for your buck you could get anywhere in this country. The education is extremely good, and their reputation is very well regarded in the metro area. About ten years ago that was not the case, however things are certainly different now. Due to the volume of applicants they get, they are sometimes forced to be really selective about who they accept. I would say that NYC residents get first consideration.
5.St. Johns University: Solid school and very good back up school in case you do not get into your first choice schools.
6.Hofstra: See St. Johns.

Good luck in your pursuit.
Hiroko,

I graduated from Hofstra Univeristy as an undegraduate in 2003. If you really want to go to a school in NYC or in the greater metro area I would list them in this sequence:

1.Columbia
2.NYU
3.Fordham
4.St. Johns
5.Hofstra
6.Baruch
7.Pace

Hofstra is a relatively young university when compared to many of the institutions in the area, which means that they are still working through some wrinkles. I would say that right now Hofstra is at the stage that NYU was in the 1970s. The MBA program is heading in the right direction, but if you do some research you will see that they have a ton of work left to do. Don’t get me wrong, I love Hofstra, however I am also enough of a realist to have gone to a higher caliber school, even though I was accepted into Hofstra’s MBA program.
Is your GMAT score above the 600-650 range? Was your overall GPA as an undergraduate above the 3.3-3.5 range? Does your work experience exceed 4-6 years? Do you have any management experience? Are you planning to apply to 5 schools or more? If your answer is yes to the above questions than I would advise you to apply to:

1.NYU: Although extremely expensive excluding the cost of living in NYC, the rewards and benefits of having that diploma from that school will be well worth the insane loan amount that you will be taking out. A very close friend graduated from the Stern School of Business last year, with an estimated $85,000 in loans. Now he is making $90,000 with the potential of reaching 6 figures within the next two years.
2.Fordham University: Very good school that often gets overshadowed by NYU and Columbia. You will get the exact same education that you would from NYU, at a cheaper rate. It does not provide you with the almost guarantee of landing that $75K plus salary that you would get from NYU, but you will certainly be considered for some high caliber opportunities.
3.Columbia: See NYU, only more prestigious and selective. Virtually guarantees you a top-notch job before graduating.
4.Baruch: Best bang for your buck you could get anywhere in this country. The education is extremely good, and their reputation is very well regarded in the metro area. About ten years ago that was not the case, however things are certainly different now. Due to the volume of applicants they get, they are sometimes forced to be really selective about who they accept. I would say that NYC residents get first consideration.
5.St. John’s University: Solid school and very good back up school in case you do not get into your first choice schools.
6.Hofstra: See St. John’s.

Good luck in your pursuit.

G3XL

Mar 11, 2007 07:44

useful 0

This regarding some of your posts about NYC business schools:

What's happening in terms of the perception of local MBA programs is that relative comparisons are becoming more difficult, and perceived differences between certain schools are beginning to narrow. For example, Columbia's edge over NYU is slowly eroding in part, due to the fact that Stern is further entrenching itself, as a leader in finance and investment valuation. And on a national scale, its finance curriculum is comparable to those of Chicago and Wharton. The same thing is happening between Fordham and St. John's: The Tobin College of Business is moving sharply into "Risk, Financial Engineering, and Investment Management" through its School of Risk Management. With the exception of leveraging its Economics Dept., Fordham does not have the infrastructure to currently compete with St. John's in the more quantitative disciplines related to finance and the strategic management of risk. One of Fordham's perceived strengths is in media, which St. John's cannot presently match in terms of geographical and industry-connected resources. If you compare faculty backgrounds, you'll see a few Fordham finance Profs. with MBAs from St. John's, but not the equivalent in reverse. Back then, Fordham was clearly the 3rd strongest program behind Columbia and NYU. This is not the standard perception now, as more applicants are comparing St. John's to Fordham and vice versa.

I would still rank St. John's as the third strongest MBA program behind Columbia and NYU Stern (you can search Stern's web site to see one reason why I make this remark), even if only for the reason that they made more improvements to its program, since 2000 than its regionally ranked competitors. Also, considering the high trade rates between the two schools (St. John's and Fordham); people are more interested in the best fit for them, concerning each school's relative strengths.

What's happening in terms of the perception of local MBA programs is that relative comparisons are becoming more difficult, and perceived differences between certain schools are beginning to narrow. For example, Columbia's edge over NYU is slowly eroding in part, due to the fact that Stern is further entrenching itself, as a leader in finance and investment valuation. And on a national scale, its finance curriculum is comparable to those of Chicago and Wharton. The same thing is happening between Fordham and St. John's: The Tobin College of Business is moving sharply into "Risk, Financial Engineering, and Investment Management" through its School of Risk Management. With the exception of leveraging its Economics Dept., Fordham does not have the infrastructure to currently compete with St. John's in the more quantitative disciplines related to finance and the strategic management of risk. One of Fordham's perceived strengths is in media, which St. John's cannot presently match in terms of geographical and industry-connected resources. If you compare faculty backgrounds, you'll see a few Fordham finance Profs. with MBAs from St. John's, but not the equivalent in reverse. Back then, Fordham was clearly the 3rd strongest program behind Columbia and NYU. This is not the standard perception now, as more applicants are comparing St. John's to Fordham and vice versa.

I would still rank St. John's as the third strongest MBA program behind Columbia and NYU Stern (you can search Stern's web site to see one reason why I make this remark), even if only for the reason that they made more improvements to its program, since 2000 than its regionally ranked competitors. Also, considering the high trade rates between the two schools (St. John's and Fordham); people are more interested in the best fit for them, concerning each school's relative strengths.

Hiroko

Mar 12, 2007 01:20

useful 0

Hello guys, thank you so much for those detailed answers. That really helps me to define a perfect application strategy.
To answer your questions RexD, my results are not of the best, I admit: My GMAT is slightly above the 600 mark, I have 6 years working experience - but my overall GPA is not good, it's 3.1. Well all in all not the ideal situation to get accepted by Columbia...
I will follow your advice and apply for different MBAs at the same time to increase my chances.
Thanks again, you are a big help!
Hello guys, thank you so much for those detailed answers. That really helps me to define a perfect application strategy.
To answer your questions RexD, my results are not of the best, I admit: My GMAT is slightly above the 600 mark, I have 6 years working experience - but my overall GPA is not good, it's 3.1. Well all in all not the ideal situation to get accepted by Columbia...
I will follow your advice and apply for different MBAs at the same time to increase my chances.
Thanks again, you are a big help!

RexD

Mar 15, 2007 01:31

useful 0

Hiroko,

Always glad to help, I was in the same situation that you are in only a few years ago. With what you have told me, I would say that unfortunately you should scratch Columbia and NYU off of your list, unless out of your 6 years of work experience some of them were as a manager. If so, and depending on how many years you were in that supervisory position, I would say that you may want to keep NYU in your lisAt, because they value managerial experience a great deal. By what you have told me, I would say that you have a good shot of being accepted into:
1. Fordham University
2. Bauruch College
3. St. Johns University

Great shot at being accepted at:
1. Hofstra Univerisity
2. Pace University

Also, I am not sure what kind of MBA you want to pursue, but have you ever considered an online MBA. More and more schools are starting to venture into that realm of education. Northeastern University has a fantastic online MBA program and so does Indiana University. If you have time, check out the below links:
http://kd.iu.edu/programs/msgscm/overview.htm
http://www.onlinemba.neu.edu
At Northeastern you can contact:
Kira Nguyen, Admissions Advisor
Northeastern University Graduate Admissions Office
Tel: 1-866-890-0347 ext. 3351 Fax: 1-866-230-8750

Online MBAs might not be what you are looking for, but at least you will know all of your options. Good Luck
G3XL: Excellent points.
Hiroko,

Always glad to help, I was in the same situation that you are in only a few years ago. With what you have told me, I would say that unfortunately you should scratch Columbia and NYU off of your list, unless out of your 6 years of work experience some of them were as a manager. If so, and depending on how many years you were in that supervisory position, I would say that you may want to keep NYU in your lisAt, because they value managerial experience a great deal. By what you have told me, I would say that you have a good shot of being accepted into:
1. Fordham University
2. Bauruch College
3. St. John’s University

Great shot at being accepted at:
1. Hofstra Univerisity
2. Pace University

Also, I am not sure what kind of MBA you want to pursue, but have you ever considered an online MBA. More and more schools are starting to venture into that realm of education. Northeastern University has a fantastic online MBA program and so does Indiana University. If you have time, check out the below links:
http://kd.iu.edu/programs/msgscm/overview.htm
http://www.onlinemba.neu.edu
At Northeastern you can contact:
Kira Nguyen, Admissions Advisor
Northeastern University Graduate Admissions Office
Tel: 1-866-890-0347 ext. 3351 Fax: 1-866-230-8750

Online MBAs might not be what you are looking for, but at least you will know all of your options. Good Luck
G3XL: Excellent points.

Hiroko

Mar 16, 2007 03:27

useful 0

Hey RexD, thanks for these comments, I highly appreciate!
About the option to do an online MBA, I wanted to ask you how you think this would be perceived by employers. Does an online MBA not look a bit less serious? What do you think?
It's definitely more practical and easier to combine with a job. But I never considered because I was afraid that it's not worth so much on the job market.
About the option to do an online MBA, I wanted to ask you how you think this would be perceived by employers. Does an online MBA not look a bit less serious? What do you think?
It's definitely more practical and easier to combine with a job. But I never considered because I was afraid that it's not worth so much on the job market.

RexD

Mar 17, 2007 07:37

useful 0

Hi Hiroko,

That is a real valid question, which I also had when I first heard about those online MBA programs. When I spoke to the many well known universities, which now offer online classes (Indiana University, Michigan State, Boston University, Northeastern University and numerous others) I found that the degree that you attain through their online programs is no different from the diploma that you would received if you physically attended the university.
The key to online MBAs is that you have to differentiate the legit schools from the Devry type schools out there. Also, you want to make sure that those schools have all the proper accreditations and make sure to contact them to be certain that they indeed are offering online programs. Another, point about online MBAs is that you have to have a lot more self discipline than if you were physically attending a school.
To answer your question, an online MBA does not look less serious as long it is from a quality school, and also remember those schools will still provide you with all the services that you would have at your disposal if you were attending the school. The keys are self-discipline and picking the universities apart from the Phoenix universities of the world.
Hi Hiroko,

That is a real valid question, which I also had when I first heard about those online MBA programs. When I spoke to the many well known universities, which now offer online classes (Indiana University, Michigan State, Boston University, Northeastern University and numerous others) I found that the degree that you attain through their online programs is no different from the diploma that you would received if you physically attended the university.
The key to online MBAs is that you have to differentiate the legit schools from the Devry type schools out there. Also, you want to make sure that those schools have all the proper accreditations and make sure to contact them to be certain that they indeed are offering online programs. Another, point about online MBAs is that you have to have a lot more self discipline than if you were physically attending a school.
To answer your question, an online MBA does not look less serious as long it is from a quality school, and also remember those schools will still provide you with all the services that you would have at your disposal if you were attending the school. The keys are self-discipline and picking the universities apart from the Phoenix universities of the world.

lewprmba

Mar 19, 2007 12:31

useful 0

<blockquote>This regarding some of your posts about NYC business schools:

I would still rank St. John's as the third strongest MBA program behind Columbia and NYU Stern (you can search Stern's web site to see one reason why I make this remark), even if only for the reason that they made more improvements to its program, since 2000 than its regionally ranked competitors. Also, considering the high trade rates between the two schools (St. John's and Fordham); people are more interested in the best fit for them, concerning each school's relative strengths.</blockquote>

lewprmba

Mar 19, 2007 01:14

useful 0

Fordham GBA Program was in St. John's current position back in the early 1990s. Fordham was looking for regional and national recognition. So Fordham made several improvements and now Fordham is listed among the top in the region and the country. It takes years and cash to do it and I wish SJU good luck. HOWEVER, the only problem with declaring SJU above Fordham is that the overall caliber of Fordham accumulated over the last two decades have been already measured and recognized by several third party organizations including Forbes (9th ranked nationally in part-time programs!!), Wall Steet Journal (14th Regionally ranked), Business Week, etc, etc. In the same articles SJU is nowhere to be found, PERIOD. That is the sad truth for SJU. That SJU is overhauling the program is good to know, but that it's not enough. To have a School of Risk Management is great, but is NOT one yardstick that distiguishes one school, is a combination of factors and I read a few good ones but again, it's not enough. Fordham draws from its' excellent Undergraduate Business Program (ranked in the top 50 in the nation), from the Law School (ranked in the top 25 nationally), from the overall quality of the University (ranked 70th un US News Report), from the 2006 entering class with 600 in the GMAT, from the caliber of students accepted in tthe Deming's Scholars Program, in the full-time MS in Accounting/Taxation, in the Media Program, from its Chinese MBA connection at the top China's GBA School. From it's Manhattan location, from the ton of International executives living in Manhattan (not in Queens!).

Currently Greater NYC area students have several MBA options. If they have the time, resources and grades then Columbia and NYU are the first two options. Make sure you really need the school ticket because the loans are awfulo. However, if these students choose a PT Program then NYU and Fordham are the way to go. Fordham has already achieved the reputation to secure its graduates high salaries and excellent career opportunities. St Johns, PACE, Baruch, Hofstra are all good local and nice regional schools but "nationally ranked" consistently in NYC are: Columbia> NYU> Fordham. Cornell is upstate NYS, a different animal.

Pls visit:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

Here you will see Fordham ranked 70th in the USA and SJU, well....let's better move on. Remember, one program does not make an institution. That's why overall Fordham is a superior university.

http://www.forbes.com/2005/08/16/best-business-schools-list-cz_05mba_land.html

Go to Best Part-time programs, Fordham is 9th. Second only to NYU in New York State. Columbia & Cornell have no part-time program. Among the schools listed are: Chicago, UCLA, NYU, Northwestern & Michigan. Fordham is ranked above hundreds of schools, including of course SJU.

Do you think recruiters are reading these studies from WSJ, Forbes, BW? You bet!!!, in fact they contribute to many of them. Thus, it means that YOUR career chances and future are brighter if you graduate from a higher-ranked school. In fact, the difference over a 30 yr career can exceed 1-2 million dollars. No amount of elegant rethoric is going to change the perceptions of 100s of recruiters. Top-ranked = More $$$. Thats' why the Ivy Leaguers still command stratospheric salaries.

Again, good luck to SJU. It's a long road to national recognition but it's worth it. Make sure you guys at SJU get involved, donate to the school and demand change when necessary.

Again: Columbia>NYU>Fordham

The End
Fordham GBA Program was in St. John's current position back in the early 1990s. Fordham was looking for regional and national recognition. So Fordham made several improvements and now Fordham is listed among the top in the region and the country. It takes years and cash to do it and I wish SJU good luck. HOWEVER, the only problem with declaring SJU above Fordham is that the overall caliber of Fordham accumulated over the last two decades have been already measured and recognized by several third party organizations including Forbes (9th ranked nationally in part-time programs!!), Wall Steet Journal (14th Regionally ranked), Business Week, etc, etc. In the same articles SJU is nowhere to be found, PERIOD. That is the sad truth for SJU. That SJU is overhauling the program is good to know, but that it's not enough. To have a School of Risk Management is great, but is NOT one yardstick that distiguishes one school, is a combination of factors and I read a few good ones but again, it's not enough. Fordham draws from its' excellent Undergraduate Business Program (ranked in the top 50 in the nation), from the Law School (ranked in the top 25 nationally), from the overall quality of the University (ranked 70th un US News Report), from the 2006 entering class with 600 in the GMAT, from the caliber of students accepted in tthe Deming's Scholars Program, in the full-time MS in Accounting/Taxation, in the Media Program, from its Chinese MBA connection at the top China's GBA School. From it's Manhattan location, from the ton of International executives living in Manhattan (not in Queens!).

Currently Greater NYC area students have several MBA options. If they have the time, resources and grades then Columbia and NYU are the first two options. Make sure you really need the school ticket because the loans are awfulo. However, if these students choose a PT Program then NYU and Fordham are the way to go. Fordham has already achieved the reputation to secure its graduates high salaries and excellent career opportunities. St Johns, PACE, Baruch, Hofstra are all good local and nice regional schools but "nationally ranked" consistently in NYC are: Columbia> NYU> Fordham. Cornell is upstate NYS, a different animal.

Pls visit:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

Here you will see Fordham ranked 70th in the USA and SJU, well....let's better move on. Remember, one program does not make an institution. That's why overall Fordham is a superior university.

http://www.forbes.com/2005/08/16/best-business-schools-list-cz_05mba_land.html

Go to Best Part-time programs, Fordham is 9th. Second only to NYU in New York State. Columbia & Cornell have no part-time program. Among the schools listed are: Chicago, UCLA, NYU, Northwestern & Michigan. Fordham is ranked above hundreds of schools, including of course SJU.

Do you think recruiters are reading these studies from WSJ, Forbes, BW? You bet!!!, in fact they contribute to many of them. Thus, it means that YOUR career chances and future are brighter if you graduate from a higher-ranked school. In fact, the difference over a 30 yr career can exceed 1-2 million dollars. No amount of elegant rethoric is going to change the perceptions of 100s of recruiters. Top-ranked = More $$$. Thats' why the Ivy Leaguers still command stratospheric salaries.

Again, good luck to SJU. It's a long road to national recognition but it's worth it. Make sure you guys at SJU get involved, donate to the school and demand change when necessary.

Again: Columbia>NYU>Fordham

The End

lewprmba

Mar 19, 2007 02:38

useful 0

Fordham has both full time and part time. Your grades and scores match pefectly with Fordham's student profile for 2006. They are: GPA 3.15 and 600 GMAT for the full time program and 585 part-time. Make sure you get strong references and help with the application essays and you should have a great chance.

You will have no problems with all the other 2nd tier schools: Baruch, PACE, Hofstra and St. John's. Fordham's MBA has better regional and national reputation than all these schools and it's a better institution overall; thus, your degree will have higher value.

Columbia...sorry, forget it. NYU is a long shot, you may want to re-take the GMAT after paying for intensive GMAT coaching. If you boost your score to 650 or more then you will have a decent chance.

Good Luck
Fordham has both full time and part time. Your grades and scores match pefectly with Fordham's student profile for 2006. They are: GPA 3.15 and 600 GMAT for the full time program and 585 part-time. Make sure you get strong references and help with the application essays and you should have a great chance.

You will have no problems with all the other 2nd tier schools: Baruch, PACE, Hofstra and St. John's. Fordham's MBA has better regional and national reputation than all these schools and it's a better institution overall; thus, your degree will have higher value.

Columbia...sorry, forget it. NYU is a long shot, you may want to re-take the GMAT after paying for intensive GMAT coaching. If you boost your score to 650 or more then you will have a decent chance.

Good Luck

G3XL

Mar 19, 2007 04:39

useful 0

No disrespect or anything, but the problem with your analysis is that it omits the fact that media ranking information cannot replace real world events that have already occurred. At the end of the day, bschools are judged by the quality of their graduates. Also, I don't think you're qualified to tell STJ students, alum, and other constituents how to interact with the school: The extra $10 million increase in the bschool's endowment (since Tobin took over) places the school on the right track toward their $40 million capital campaign. Your lengthy response is only composed of highly emotional personal opinions about my evidence and prior media ranking information about Fordham. My assertions are based on real proven facts about St. John's.

Don't talk to me about reputation and rankings...Fordham has a new MQSF (Master of Science in Quantitative Finance) program, which is uniquely good and well positioned (as their other MS programs), but it is not competitive against a university's business school that owns an entire School of Risk Management, which is arguably one of the best in the country, as asserted by the actuarial and finance communities. Sorry, but St. John's is a lot stronger in Finance than Fordham, whereas Fordham is stronger in Media.

Again, your argument would have improved credibility if you accurately admitted that you don't have much knowledge about St. John's. Face facts: Fordham, Baruch, and Pace are ranked in US News P/T primarily because their campuses are in Manhattan. You can reference the 1998 article in Crain's Business to verify this. In the same article, it was opined that St. John's compares favorably to any of the above three, given a similar advantage. Also it stated back then that the GMAT averages for the four schools were in a similar high 550-575+ range. Hopefully, by this point you have figured out why they pursued the Manhattan campus. Fordham competes with St. John's for the same applicants, as evidenced by the high trade rates between the two universities. Fordham has a superior national reputation? I don't think so. Take a look at what this poster had to say:

--------------------

I am glad we are on the same page because you seem pretty well informed. I am extremely wary of this guy (SHREK123, KESTRELS, etc). Many of his handles have been deleted because of his creepy fascination with bashing some Canadian school.

St John's as far as I am concerned is every bit as good as Fordham and probably better known. That said you make the point I have made: to lump Fordham with Columbia is bound to raise suspicions of SARBROWN. Fordham is a good school...but it caters to a slightly different market. Ignore this Shrek character. Real head case. I appreciate the insight into SJU and agree they ought to do more to get the word out about the quality program they have.
--------------------

By the way, the above poster went to Georgetown. Having a bunch of MS and MBA programs and naming them internationally doesn't necessarily bestow an international reputation. You need to have something more tangible to show for such acclaim. Fordham's strategic partner is Thunderbird, while St. John's strategic partner is the London School of Economics. Fordham's entire bschool is in Manhattan, while St. John's Tobin College of Business spans from Manhattan all the way to Rome, Italy. Plus St. John's has a much higher percentage of international students in its business school than Fordham. Again, media rankings don't necessarily fill the coffers; you need to have a highly funded endowment campaign in place. Don't believe me? Take a look at what this Columbia Business School grad had to say:

--------------------

On one of Columbia's career websites SJU advertised for a fundraising type of position. This is at least some evidence of some of G3XL's assertions. At least SJU is trying to improve its endowment by trying to hire experienced people, unlike Fordham which is relying almost solely on tuition. There's virtually no academic institution in this world that can do that and expect to survive. That plan is a sure recipe for extinction.
--------------------

Before you talk about donations, remember that the Tobin College has more money than the business school you're pushing. Don't believe me? Who do you think bought the School of Risk Management? Regarding recruiting, the same firm's recruit at both bschools for similar positions, and when work experience in quality and quantity is equal among applicants, the starting salaries are roughly the same. Columbia and NYU grads would get higher compensation packages within the same situation. So, if all you have is media ranking information and personal opinions, then you don't have much to go on. I, at least manage with the force of facts.
No disrespect or anything, but the problem with your analysis is that it omits the fact that media ranking information cannot replace real world events that have already occurred. At the end of the day, bschools are judged by the quality of their graduates. Also, I don't think you're qualified to tell STJ students, alum, and other constituents how to interact with the school: The extra $10 million increase in the bschool's endowment (since Tobin took over) places the school on the right track toward their $40 million capital campaign. Your lengthy response is only composed of highly emotional personal opinions about my evidence and prior media ranking information about Fordham. My assertions are based on real proven facts about St. John's.

Don't talk to me about reputation and rankings...Fordham has a new MQSF (Master of Science in Quantitative Finance) program, which is uniquely good and well positioned (as their other MS programs), but it is not competitive against a university's business school that owns an entire School of Risk Management, which is arguably one of the best in the country, as asserted by the actuarial and finance communities. Sorry, but St. John's is a lot stronger in Finance than Fordham, whereas Fordham is stronger in Media.

Again, your argument would have improved credibility if you accurately admitted that you don't have much knowledge about St. John's. Face facts: Fordham, Baruch, and Pace are ranked in US News P/T primarily because their campuses are in Manhattan. You can reference the 1998 article in Crain's Business to verify this. In the same article, it was opined that St. John's compares favorably to any of the above three, given a similar advantage. Also it stated back then that the GMAT averages for the four schools were in a similar high 550-575+ range. Hopefully, by this point you have figured out why they pursued the Manhattan campus. Fordham competes with St. John's for the same applicants, as evidenced by the high trade rates between the two universities. Fordham has a superior national reputation? I don't think so. Take a look at what this poster had to say:

--------------------

I am glad we are on the same page because you seem pretty well informed. I am extremely wary of this guy (SHREK123, KESTRELS, etc). Many of his handles have been deleted because of his creepy fascination with bashing some Canadian school.

St John's as far as I am concerned is every bit as good as Fordham and probably better known. That said you make the point I have made: to lump Fordham with Columbia is bound to raise suspicions of SARBROWN. Fordham is a good school...but it caters to a slightly different market. Ignore this Shrek character. Real head case. I appreciate the insight into SJU and agree they ought to do more to get the word out about the quality program they have.
--------------------

By the way, the above poster went to Georgetown. Having a bunch of MS and MBA programs and naming them internationally doesn't necessarily bestow an international reputation. You need to have something more tangible to show for such acclaim. Fordham's strategic partner is Thunderbird, while St. John's strategic partner is the London School of Economics. Fordham's entire bschool is in Manhattan, while St. John's Tobin College of Business spans from Manhattan all the way to Rome, Italy. Plus St. John's has a much higher percentage of international students in its business school than Fordham. Again, media rankings don't necessarily fill the coffers; you need to have a highly funded endowment campaign in place. Don't believe me? Take a look at what this Columbia Business School grad had to say:

--------------------

On one of Columbia's career websites SJU advertised for a fundraising type of position. This is at least some evidence of some of G3XL's assertions. At least SJU is trying to improve its endowment by trying to hire experienced people, unlike Fordham which is relying almost solely on tuition. There's virtually no academic institution in this world that can do that and expect to survive. That plan is a sure recipe for extinction.
--------------------

Before you talk about donations, remember that the Tobin College has more money than the business school you're pushing. Don't believe me? Who do you think bought the School of Risk Management? Regarding recruiting, the same firm's recruit at both bschools for similar positions, and when work experience in quality and quantity is equal among applicants, the starting salaries are roughly the same. Columbia and NYU grads would get higher compensation packages within the same situation. So, if all you have is media ranking information and personal opinions, then you don't have much to go on. I, at least manage with the force of facts.

Hiroko

Mar 20, 2007 01:41

useful 0

Hey guys, very interesting discussion!
Thanks for the comments about the online MBA. So if I understand right, an employer will not even be able to detect from my diploma that it is an online MBA?
I see your point about discipline - I imagine it quite hard for me to stick to my studies all alone at home, and especially with a regular workload.. not to forget that it's not some evening course but a challenging high level education throughout the whole year.
It will be more my cup of tea to physically attend a school and interact with students and professors.
Summing up your statements, obviously I can forget Columbia, as I thought, and NYU too, I guess. But I know a lot better which other NY bschools could be for me. And the online option as a rescue solution if everything fails? Sounds good to me!
Hey guys, very interesting discussion!
Thanks for the comments about the online MBA. So if I understand right, an employer will not even be able to detect from my diploma that it is an online MBA?
I see your point about discipline - I imagine it quite hard for me to stick to my studies all alone at home, and especially with a regular workload.. not to forget that it's not some evening course but a challenging high level education throughout the whole year.
It will be more my cup of tea to physically attend a school and interact with students and professors.
Summing up your statements, obviously I can forget Columbia, as I thought, and NYU too, I guess. But I know a lot better which other NY bschools could be for me. And the online option as a rescue solution if everything fails? Sounds good to me!

G3XL

Mar 20, 2007 07:52

useful 0

You may want to take a look at this for a moment:

http://whitman.syr.edu/prospective/imba/index.asp

I would review it as a potential candidate program, for future consideration. The program that best fits your personal and professional objectives is the one you want to attend. Not any particular MBA program in general will necessarily meet your needs, so you'll have to be a bit selective, in terms of figuring out what options are best for your development long-term.

RexD is correct in that the degree conferred in a real online MBA program is essentially the same as one in a traditional classroom-based program. Therefore, the critical difference becomes the institution selected. You only want to consider reputable AACSB accredited schools (since you're staying in the U.S.) with real university infrastructures and verifiable academic histories. Businesses and even some non-profit institutions of higher learning that operate as diploma mills are to be avoided at all costs: You'll want to take extra caution here, since more of these crop up often in the online space.

You have quite a few options open to you. The NYC metropolitan area has the highest concentration of bschools per sq. ft. in the country, so don't rush the application process. It's better to take your time, plan well, and execute your decision proficiently.
You may want to take a look at this for a moment:

http://whitman.syr.edu/prospective/imba/index.asp

I would review it as a potential candidate program, for future consideration. The program that best fits your personal and professional objectives is the one you want to attend. Not any particular MBA program in general will necessarily meet your needs, so you'll have to be a bit selective, in terms of figuring out what options are best for your development long-term.

RexD is correct in that the degree conferred in a real online MBA program is essentially the same as one in a traditional classroom-based program. Therefore, the critical difference becomes the institution selected. You only want to consider reputable AACSB accredited schools (since you're staying in the U.S.) with real university infrastructures and verifiable academic histories. Businesses and even some non-profit institutions of higher learning that operate as diploma mills are to be avoided at all costs: You'll want to take extra caution here, since more of these crop up often in the online space.

You have quite a few options open to you. The NYC metropolitan area has the highest concentration of bschools per sq. ft. in the country, so don't rush the application process. It's better to take your time, plan well, and execute your decision proficiently.

Mar 21, 2007 01:23

useful 0

Hi, I've had a look at this imba link you advise. It sounds very interesting!
But it's kind of an executive MBA, right? For me this is a bit early in my career plan - I'd have to wait to have the necessary number of years of professional experience...
Hi, I've had a look at this imba link you advise. It sounds very interesting!
But it's kind of an executive MBA, right? For me this is a bit early in my career plan - I'd have to wait to have the necessary number of years of professional experience...

G3XL

Mar 21, 2007 10:58

useful 0

Actually, I was suggesting some options for Hiroko, regarding programs that are highly flexible in NYS. It's good that you bring up the topic of experience. I agree that it's very important to have unique experiences and events that can illustrate valuable lessons for peers and vice versa for yourself. In NYC-based (as well as other programs outside NYC) MBA programs, the critical issue these days for adcomms is selecting full-time working admits, who have highly integrative experiences that contribute value to not only the rest of the cohort, but also to the institution long-term. So what's happening in part is that many graduate programs are being readjusted to the lifestyle characteristics of mid-career professionals seeking advancement. If you don't have the average 5 or so years of work experience (let's say you have 3), then depending on your situation, you may want to invest in obtaining a little more quality work experience, which will better help you to select your MBA program of choice, in due time.
Actually, I was suggesting some options for Hiroko, regarding programs that are highly flexible in NYS. It's good that you bring up the topic of experience. I agree that it's very important to have unique experiences and events that can illustrate valuable lessons for peers and vice versa for yourself. In NYC-based (as well as other programs outside NYC) MBA programs, the critical issue these days for adcomms is selecting full-time working admits, who have highly integrative experiences that contribute value to not only the rest of the cohort, but also to the institution long-term. So what's happening in part is that many graduate programs are being readjusted to the lifestyle characteristics of mid-career professionals seeking advancement. If you don't have the average 5 or so years of work experience (let's say you have 3), then depending on your situation, you may want to invest in obtaining a little more quality work experience, which will better help you to select your MBA program of choice, in due time.

jcohen

Mar 23, 2007 12:57

useful 0

here is your best choice for internet MBA

1 year and exactly same degree/diploma as if you went there physically, no one will know the difference.

http://www.floridamba.ufl.edu/FutureStudents/internetoneyear.asp
<blockquote>Hey RexD, thanks for these comments, I highly appreciate!
It's definitely more practical and easier to combine with a job. But I never considered because I was afraid that it's not worth so much on the job market.</blockquote>

here is your best choice for internet MBA

1 year and exactly same degree/diploma as if you went there physically, no one will know the difference.

http://www.floridamba.ufl.edu/FutureStudents/internetoneyear.asp

Hiroko

Mar 27, 2007 03:57

useful 0

Thanks G3XL.
And thanks jcohen - you do have a special thing with Florida, don't you?
Thanks G3XL.
And thanks jcohen - you do have a special thing with Florida, don't you?

lewprmba

Apr 03, 2007 07:04

useful 0

--------------------

--------------------

--------------------

--------------------

G3XL comments: "No disrespect or anything, but the problem with your analysis is that it omits the fact that media ranking information cannot replace real world events that have already occurred. At the end of the day, bschools are judged by the quality of their graduates."

Your argument is missing a key point: solid media ranking was not something Fordham earned overnight. It took the program more than 20 years of money, efforts and initiatives. With so many schools in the NYC area Fordham did not receive the recognition by "accident or connections". In fact, no MBA program will earn a good reputation overnight or even in a decade. Media rankings are important to Graduate Schools of Business, Medicine, Law, Physics, Engineering, etc, etc. Media rankings are used by recruiters and individual and institutional donors. Lots of money are invested by schools to boost their media rankings. You improve your faculty, the infrastructure, etc. The top 20 Universities in this country receive huge amounts of cash motivated by not only quality but by reputation and prestige (i.e. media rankings). In fact, that's exactly what SJU is attempting! To play with the big guys and that is great. The difference between my personal opinion and the opinion of others in this issue is that one of my functions as a Partner in a top financial firm is to recruit MBAs. We only recruit in certain schools. All top companies are very selective and believe me, rankings and media exposure are important. The quality of the school and its graduates are evaluated over several years. Of course, you need the grades, the experience and the attitude. Don't make this a Fordham vs. SJU issue because SJU's enemy is not Fordham. Forget about Fordham, PACE, Baruch. SJU's enemy is the areas that SJU must improve to become a top 50 MBA program. Concentrate on that. Wish you luck.
<blockquote>No disrespect or anything, but the problem with your analysis is that it omits the fact that media ranking information cannot replace real world events that have already occurred. At the end of the day, bschools are judged by the quality of their graduates. Also, I don't think you're qualified to tell STJ students, alum, and other constituents how to interact with the school: The extra $10 million increase in the bschool's endowment (since Tobin took over) places the school on the right track toward their $40 million capital campaign. Your lengthy response is only composed of highly emotional personal opinions about my evidence and prior media ranking information about Fordham. My assertions are based on real proven facts about St. John's.

--------------------

--------------------

--------------------

--------------------

Before you talk about donations, remember that the Tobin College has more money than the business school you're pushing. Don't believe me? Who do you think bought the School of Risk Management? Regarding recruiting, the same firm's recruit at both bschools for similar positions, and when work experience in quality and quantity is equal among applicants, the starting salaries are roughly the same. Columbia and NYU grads would get higher compensation packages within the same situation. So, if all you have is media ranking information and personal opinions, then you don't have much to go on. I, at least manage with the force of facts.</blockquote>

G3XL comments: "No disrespect or anything, but the problem with your analysis is that it omits the fact that media ranking information cannot replace real world events that have already occurred. At the end of the day, bschools are judged by the quality of their graduates."

Your argument is missing a key point: solid media ranking was not something Fordham earned overnight. It took the program more than 20 years of money, efforts and initiatives. With so many schools in the NYC area Fordham did not receive the recognition by "accident or connections". In fact, no MBA program will earn a good reputation overnight or even in a decade. Media rankings are important to Graduate Schools of Business, Medicine, Law, Physics, Engineering, etc, etc. Media rankings are used by recruiters and individual and institutional donors. Lots of money are invested by schools to boost their media rankings. You improve your faculty, the infrastructure, etc. The top 20 Universities in this country receive huge amounts of cash motivated by not only quality but by reputation and prestige (i.e. media rankings). In fact, that's exactly what SJU is attempting! To play with the big guys and that is great. The difference between my personal opinion and the opinion of others in this issue is that one of my functions as a Partner in a top financial firm is to recruit MBAs. We only recruit in certain schools. All top companies are very selective and believe me, rankings and media exposure are important. The quality of the school and its graduates are evaluated over several years. Of course, you need the grades, the experience and the attitude. Don't make this a Fordham vs. SJU issue because SJU's enemy is not Fordham. Forget about Fordham, PACE, Baruch. SJU's enemy is the areas that SJU must improve to become a top 50 MBA program. Concentrate on that. Wish you luck.

Malia

Apr 03, 2007 07:36

useful 0

Mar 28, 2007
Fordham Universitys College of Business Administration (CBA) has climbed 14 places in BusinessWeek magazines annual ranking of undergraduate programs to No. 34 nationally. In addition to CBA, the Fordham Graduate School of Business Administration (GBA) has been highly rated over the years. GBAs full-time MBA Program was ranked 14th in the Wall Street Journal regional rankings, and U.S. News & World Report rated the part-time MBA Program in the top 20 nationally.
http://www.fordham.edu/Campus_Resources/Public_Affairs/topstories_841.asp
Mar 28, 2007
Fordham University’s College of Business Administration (CBA) has climbed 14 places in BusinessWeek magazine’s annual ranking of undergraduate programs to No. 34 nationally. In addition to CBA, the Fordham Graduate School of Business Administration (GBA) has been highly rated over the years. GBA’s full-time MBA Program was ranked 14th in the Wall Street Journal regional rankings, and U.S. News & World Report rated the part-time MBA Program in the top 20 nationally.
http://www.fordham.edu/Campus_Resources/Public_Affairs/topstories_841.asp

G3XL

Apr 03, 2007 08:43

useful 0

To lewprmba,

Your statements about how programs receive money from various donor sources and the selectivity of top firms is a given; telling me what is already known does not address anything I've said. Stating that Fordham worked hard over many years to get its recognition, again does not address any (that's right "any") of my points: We already know this. Your assertions regarding media rankings are not relevant to the factual position of Tobin's infrastructure, which is really a separate issue, and actually the position from which I make my assertions. Do not tell me that relevant facts about bschool expenditure and resource allocation do not count, since they're not heavily measured in media rankings. Outside of the basic tenets of non-profit operations, Bschools, as I assume you know are run through their own specific operations functions (i.e., to attract top students and faculty, increase endowments, get media recognition, scale up the corporate recruiting base, etc.), which do in many cases include the benefits of media coverage in rankings, when attained. This I don't argue against, but the contention that alternate factual information can't be weighed against media ranking information is erroneous. You said that my argument was missing a key point. The first sentence of your response is proof positive that you totally misunderstood my position to begin with. Did you say, "Don't make this a Fordham vs. STJ issue"? Let me remind you that it was you who initially posted to me, not the other way around. Again, you are not the expert you implicitly claim you are on STJ, therefore you don't have the ability to offer accurate information on its strategic and tactical positions. I do. Remember, I didn't say media ranking information had no relevance. I said that there are other facts from which to judge schools on in addition to media ranking information when used properly. Before you tell me what a school you know nothing about should concentrate on, you should concentrate on knowing the difference between the two above points. Regarding luck, likewise.
To lewprmba,

Your statements about how programs receive money from various donor sources and the selectivity of top firms is a given; telling me what is already known does not address anything I've said. Stating that Fordham worked hard over many years to get its recognition, again does not address any (that's right "any") of my points: We already know this. Your assertions regarding media rankings are not relevant to the factual position of Tobin's infrastructure, which is really a separate issue, and actually the position from which I make my assertions. Do not tell me that relevant facts about bschool expenditure and resource allocation do not count, since they're not heavily measured in media rankings. Outside of the basic tenets of non-profit operations, Bschools, as I assume you know are run through their own specific operations functions (i.e., to attract top students and faculty, increase endowments, get media recognition, scale up the corporate recruiting base, etc.), which do in many cases include the benefits of media coverage in rankings, when attained. This I don't argue against, but the contention that alternate factual information can't be weighed against media ranking information is erroneous. You said that my argument was missing a key point. The first sentence of your response is proof positive that you totally misunderstood my position to begin with. Did you say, "Don't make this a Fordham vs. STJ issue"? Let me remind you that it was you who initially posted to me, not the other way around. Again, you are not the expert you implicitly claim you are on STJ, therefore you don't have the ability to offer accurate information on its strategic and tactical positions. I do. Remember, I didn't say media ranking information had no relevance. I said that there are other facts from which to judge schools on in addition to media ranking information when used properly. Before you tell me what a school you know nothing about should concentrate on, you should concentrate on knowing the difference between the two above points. Regarding luck, likewise.

york

Apr 08, 2007 10:39

useful 0

I think this "Fordham vs. St. John's" discussion does not really help future MBAs, nor does it help to find out whether Mr. Tobin could be serving lunch to Mr. Zarb. I can't comment much on the quality of these schools. From my perspective as an international student (from Europe) Fordham - after CBS and NYU - would be the third choice in terms of reputation. However, an MBA from St. John's or Hofstra will also look good on your CV and these schools are known to many employers here as well. According to businessweek in 2005 Fordham had 24% international students (2 % from Western Europe, 16% from Asia), St. John's 31% international students (4 % from Western Europe, 13% from Asia), and Hofstra Zarb 25% (2% from Western Europe, 18% from Asia). So there is not much difference here. CBS has 31% internationals (10% from Western Europe), NYU 33% (3% from Western Europe).

BTW: Did you know that Fordham was actually founded as "St. John's College" in the 19th century? The name was changed to Fordham in 1905 (despite the original name of the school, Fordham has never had any connection with St. John's University as far as I know).
I think this "Fordham vs. St. John's" discussion does not really help future MBAs, nor does it help to find out whether Mr. Tobin could be serving lunch to Mr. Zarb. I can't comment much on the quality of these schools. From my perspective as an international student (from Europe) Fordham - after CBS and NYU - would be the third choice in terms of reputation. However, an MBA from St. John's or Hofstra will also look good on your CV and these schools are known to many employers here as well. According to businessweek in 2005 Fordham had 24% international students (2 % from Western Europe, 16% from Asia), St. John's 31% international students (4 % from Western Europe, 13% from Asia), and Hofstra Zarb 25% (2% from Western Europe, 18% from Asia). So there is not much difference here. CBS has 31% internationals (10% from Western Europe), NYU 33% (3% from Western Europe).

BTW: Did you know that Fordham was actually founded as "St. John's College" in the 19th century? The name was changed to Fordham in 1905 (despite the original name of the school, Fordham has never had any connection with St. John's University as far as I know).

G3XL

Apr 09, 2007 03:44

useful 0

Actually, I knew that Fordham was founded as the original St. John's College, as I also knew that St. John's University was originally founded in Brooklyn, stemming from the Vincentian movement in France. These historical facts are quite interesting. I understand your point, and do respect the fact that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, as am I. I'm sure that you've read my references to the statements of other posters about the two schools. Those references are fairly accurate in terms of the accepted perception among those vying for nationally ranked programs, and keep in mind that these people went to top business schools.

Actually, Fordham is a bit "informally" connected to St. John's in terms of academics, regarding administrative and faculty appointments. Take a close look. The Dean of St. John's School of Law has a JD from the top ranked Fordham Law School. The university's provost is a Fordham PhD. One of their top management Profs. in the area of business ethics and strategy is again, a Fordham PhD (Psychology). The Dean of Fordham's School of Education has undergrad and graduate degrees from St. John's. The Finance Dept. of Fordham's business school has an unusually high concentration of St. John's M.B.A. Finance grads as Adjunct Profs.

In terms of academic structure and culture, St. John's is far more similar to Fordham than it is to Hofstra: The person who originally made this statement has an M.B.A. and a PhD from NYU Stern. This person, who also has an international background quipped that the only thing the schools on long island have in common is their location. Therefore, location cannot be construed to mean other things regarding academic infrastructure. You have to look at each, as a separate issue. Even reputation has to be viewed in a multi-dimensional context. I would even venture to say that St. John's has comparatively more similarities to a much smaller catholic university named Seton Hall. Again, I have to make another reminder that this is not a "this-versus-that-school' thread (re-read my posts). This discussion is about using facts to back up arguments and contentions. I'm sure graduates from all these solid schools will go places and do some amazing things. But the fact is that catholic universities are known for trading up with each other in different areas, due in large part to collective cultural and in many cases academic synergies.

The BusinessWeek stats you quote on St. John's are highly disputable; even the current ones. I believe that U.S. News's prior and current stats are much more accurate (i.e., 40% of the current M.B.A. populace at St. John's is international). Your comments are well taken, but remember your statement, "I can't comment much on the quality of these schools." Therefore, at least I can claim to have provided some useful information based on the quality of at least one school in particular using factual information (reread Hiroko's post to me and RexD on this thread), not just perception-based opinion. Again, your points are well taken.
Actually, I knew that Fordham was founded as the original St. John's College, as I also knew that St. John's University was originally founded in Brooklyn, stemming from the Vincentian movement in France. These historical facts are quite interesting. I understand your point, and do respect the fact that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, as am I. I'm sure that you've read my references to the statements of other posters about the two schools. Those references are fairly accurate in terms of the accepted perception among those vying for nationally ranked programs, and keep in mind that these people went to top business schools.

Actually, Fordham is a bit "informally" connected to St. John's in terms of academics, regarding administrative and faculty appointments. Take a close look. The Dean of St. John's School of Law has a JD from the top ranked Fordham Law School. The university's provost is a Fordham PhD. One of their top management Profs. in the area of business ethics and strategy is again, a Fordham PhD (Psychology). The Dean of Fordham's School of Education has undergrad and graduate degrees from St. John's. The Finance Dept. of Fordham's business school has an unusually high concentration of St. John's M.B.A. Finance grads as Adjunct Profs.

In terms of academic structure and culture, St. John's is far more similar to Fordham than it is to Hofstra: The person who originally made this statement has an M.B.A. and a PhD from NYU Stern. This person, who also has an international background quipped that the only thing the schools on long island have in common is their location. Therefore, location cannot be construed to mean other things regarding academic infrastructure. You have to look at each, as a separate issue. Even reputation has to be viewed in a multi-dimensional context. I would even venture to say that St. John's has comparatively more similarities to a much smaller catholic university named Seton Hall. Again, I have to make another reminder that this is not a "this-versus-that-school' thread (re-read my posts). This discussion is about using facts to back up arguments and contentions. I'm sure graduates from all these solid schools will go places and do some amazing things. But the fact is that catholic universities are known for trading up with each other in different areas, due in large part to collective cultural and in many cases academic synergies.

The BusinessWeek stats you quote on St. John's are highly disputable; even the current ones. I believe that U.S. News's prior and current stats are much more accurate (i.e., 40% of the current M.B.A. populace at St. John's is international). Your comments are well taken, but remember your statement, "I can't comment much on the quality of these schools." Therefore, at least I can claim to have provided some useful information based on the quality of at least one school in particular using factual information (reread Hiroko's post to me and RexD on this thread), not just perception-based opinion. Again, your points are well taken.

artiom

Apr 18, 2007 09:11

useful 0

Can someone tell me, what is a better prep course "KAPLAN" or "Princeton Review". They cost about the same. Money is not an issue, I want to be well prepared. Thanks
Can someone tell me, what is a better prep course "KAPLAN" or "Princeton Review". They cost about the same. Money is not an issue, I want to be well prepared. Thanks

copernicus

Apr 21, 2007 05:55

useful 0

I think this "Fordham vs. St. John's" discussion does not really help future MBAs

Fordham is much better than St Johns...
It is clearly the #3 school in the NYC area, behind Columbia and NYU.

Just look at SAT stats of incoming feshman at St Johns, that will tell you where that school is going.

Hofstra is also a better school, and has far more potential than St Johns. I would say they are #4

St Johns, Pace, Baruch behind those 4.
<blockquote>I think this "Fordham vs. St. John's" discussion does not really help future MBAs </blockquote>

Fordham is much better than St Johns...
It is clearly the #3 school in the NYC area, behind Columbia and NYU.

Just look at SAT stats of incoming feshman at St Johns, that will tell you where that school is going.

Hofstra is also a better school, and has far more potential than St Johns. I would say they are #4

G3XL

Apr 21, 2007 07:59

useful 0

I would strongly recommend Veritas Prep. I believe that the pricing is similar, but you get nearly double or more of the amount and intensity of instruction. I also believe that they assert to have a unique methodology in approaching multiple choice questions on standardized exams. I've heard some pretty good things about them from users of their service.

For those who wish to review my response to this nonsense posted by Copernicus, please see my other discussion on thread "MBA New York". You'll find an accurate account of program stats, and how they're likely to match up respectively.
<blockquote>Can someone tell me, what is a better prep course "KAPLAN" or "Princeton Review". They cost about the same. Money is not an issue, I want to be well prepared. Thanks </blockquote>

I would strongly recommend Veritas Prep. I believe that the pricing is similar, but you get nearly double or more of the amount and intensity of instruction. I also believe that they assert to have a unique methodology in approaching multiple choice questions on standardized exams. I've heard some pretty good things about them from users of their service.

For those who wish to review my response to this nonsense posted by Copernicus, please see my other discussion on thread "MBA New York". You'll find an accurate account of program stats, and how they're likely to match up respectively.

ilya

Apr 21, 2007 11:12

useful 0

Here is "MBA" program topic around NYC... SAT isn't .... I guess Hofstra's topic compared with St. John's finished long ago...
<blockquote>Just look at SAT stats of incoming feshman at St Johns, that will tell you where that school is going.

</blockquote>
Here is "MBA" program topic around NYC... SAT isn't .... I guess Hofstra's topic compared with St. John's finished long ago...

Apr 23, 2007 12:07

useful 0

Not quite, but it has moved to this thread: http://www.find-mba.com/board/3539

Regarding GMAT, you can read the following blog by kooljaek (and the comments): http://mbago4it.blogspot.com/2006/06/gmat-review-courses.html
<blockquote>
Here is "MBA" program topic around NYC... SAT isn't .... I guess Hofstra's topic compared with St. John's finished long ago... </blockquote>

Not quite, but it has moved to this thread: http://www.find-mba.com/board/3539

Regarding GMAT, you can read the following blog by kooljaek (and the comments): http://mbago4it.blogspot.com/2006/06/gmat-review-courses.html

buktown

Jul 25, 2007 03:23

useful 0

Metropolitan College of New York has the most attractive 1 year MBA program or 1 year specialized MBA in Media Management Program.

It is located in the Village New York City about 10 blocks from NYU. You graduate from the program in 1 year. All students go on a free trip from New York City to Europe (France, ENgland, to the Cannes Film Festival & London Stock Exchange) to learn and study about international businesses or international media depending on which MBA program you pick.

Students go to Europe with your classmates and professors and you develop a great friendship with your school. THe networking opportunities are tremendous and everybody who graduates from this program get offered top jobs around the world because of the international seminars.

I recommend this program highly! I graduated from there!

http://www.mcny.edu/business/mba_mediamanage.php
Metropolitan College of New York has the most attractive 1 year MBA program or 1 year specialized MBA in Media Management Program.

It is located in the Village New York City about 10 blocks from NYU. You graduate from the program in 1 year. All students go on a free trip from New York City to Europe (France, ENgland, to the Cannes Film Festival & London Stock Exchange) to learn and study about international businesses or international media depending on which MBA program you pick.

Students go to Europe with your classmates and professors and you develop a great friendship with your school. THe networking opportunities are tremendous and everybody who graduates from this program get offered top jobs around the world because of the international seminars.

I recommend this program highly! I graduated from there!

http://www.mcny.edu/business/mba_mediamanage.php

Oct 17, 2007 11:41

useful 0

I'd like to send out a WARNING to everyone on here reading these posts and considering St. Johns: This poster G3XL has been pumping SJU like a JT Marlin broker pumping a tech startup in 1999.

G3XL is an immature crybaby, who posts on multiple message boards how media rankings mean nothing and SJU is the best MBA program in NYC, aside from NYU and Columbia. This couldn't be further from the truth, as many employers do not even know SJU has a business school!!

In fact, this G3XL character has been posting double talk about SJU being an up and comer for OVER 5 YEARS in internet message boards. He was already banned from the businessweek message boards due to his nasty attacks on anyone who disagreed with him on SJU, which invariably was many people.
The fact of the matter is that Fordham is ranked for a reason, and SJU is not ranked for a reason. Those who rank business schools do it for a living, and they are not idiots. They see qualities in Fordham's school that do not exists in SJU's School of Going out of Business.

Don't be fooled: STAY AWAY FROM SJU. BUYER BEWARE!
<blockquote>Face facts...St. John's is the city's next up and coming business school, and Hofstra (which is garbage nonetheless) is nowhere to be found. And since you incorrectly extrapolate Zarb's position in finance, from a dean's background, it's clear that I won this debate rather easily, based on factual evidence and valid conclusions (about the schools, not the deans). Now that you want to harp on recruiting, here's some food for thought, regarding "the reality":
Next time, put your money where your mouth is.</blockquote>

I'd like to send out a WARNING to everyone on here reading these posts and considering St. Johns: This poster G3XL has been pumping SJU like a JT Marlin broker pumping a tech startup in 1999.

G3XL is an immature crybaby, who posts on multiple message boards how media rankings mean nothing and SJU is the best MBA program in NYC, aside from NYU and Columbia. This couldn't be further from the truth, as many employers do not even know SJU has a business school!!

In fact, this G3XL character has been posting double talk about SJU being an up and comer for OVER 5 YEARS in internet message boards. He was already banned from the businessweek message boards due to his nasty attacks on anyone who disagreed with him on SJU, which invariably was many people.
The fact of the matter is that Fordham is ranked for a reason, and SJU is not ranked for a reason. Those who rank business schools do it for a living, and they are not idiots. They see qualities in Fordham's school that do not exists in SJU's School of Going out of Business.

Don't be fooled: STAY AWAY FROM SJU. BUYER BEWARE!

maite

Oct 18, 2007 06:38

useful 0

But Tobinblows, can you tell me, is St. johns THAT bad? Ok it is not ranked, but it could have some assets for those people who are not among the brillant students being accepted by Columbia or NYU?
I'm just curious because I am part of those, but besides also I know quite a few who desperately try to find out which MBA to do with a below 520 GMAT or something similar. It would be good to get a real picture of St. Johns.

Thanks!!
But Tobinblows, can you tell me, is St. johns THAT bad? Ok it is not ranked, but it could have some assets for those people who are not among the brillant students being accepted by Columbia or NYU?
I'm just curious because I am part of those, but besides also I know quite a few who desperately try to find out which MBA to do with a below 520 GMAT or something similar. It would be good to get a real picture of St. Johns.

Thanks!!

Oct 23, 2007 02:49

useful 0

Thanks!!

No problem - I'd be more than happy to help.

SJU's MBA is not as bad as dowling. However, if I couldn't get in to CU or NYU, my next choices would be those schools that are or have very recently been ranked. Face facts, media rankings and the prestige of institutions plays a large role in the business world. How are we able to tell the differences among a list of candidates? The acid test for this is the school the candidate attends. If you attend a better school (as recognized by media rankings), your resume will carry more weight than someone who went to a school anyone could have gotten into.

Having said all of that, my advice to anyone who scored below a 520 on the GMAT (besides retake it!), is to apply to Fordham, Baruch, and Rutgers (if in NJ) as these are the only part time programs that get any noteriety. I know an MBA at Fordham now who just had an internship with NBC sports and now has one with Novartis. Neither of these firms recruit at SJU.

If commuting to Fordham or Baruch isn't a problem, then those 2 schools are your first 2 choices (in no particular order, Fordham may have been career services, but Baruch is substantially cheaper). However, if you cannot commute into the city and you live in NJ, then I suggest go to a local NJ school. If you live on Long Island, I suggest check Hofstra out. If you live in Queens, check out SJU (however I'm not sure how much they've moved into Manhattan). Once you are looking at non-ranked schools, convenience and price matter more than anything else.

The real picture of St John's is that they are trying to improve their business school and in 20 years they could be at a level that is greater than Fordham and Baruch, however as of now there's no competition. For a little more perspective, e-mail some recruiters and ask them what schools make their candidates easier to place. The overwhelming response I received was that (aside from NYU and CU), Fordham and Baruch MBAs are much more marketable than any other school in the NYC metro area.
<blockquote>But Tobinblows, can you tell me, is St. johns THAT bad? Ok it is not ranked, but it could have some assets for those people who are not among the brillant students being accepted by Columbia or NYU?

Thanks!!</blockquote>

No problem - I'd be more than happy to help.

SJU's MBA is not as bad as dowling. However, if I couldn't get in to CU or NYU, my next choices would be those schools that are or have very recently been ranked. Face facts, media rankings and the prestige of institutions plays a large role in the business world. How are we able to tell the differences among a list of candidates? The acid test for this is the school the candidate attends. If you attend a better school (as recognized by media rankings), your resume will carry more weight than someone who went to a school anyone could have gotten into.

Having said all of that, my advice to anyone who scored below a 520 on the GMAT (besides retake it!), is to apply to Fordham, Baruch, and Rutgers (if in NJ) as these are the only part time programs that get any noteriety. I know an MBA at Fordham now who just had an internship with NBC sports and now has one with Novartis. Neither of these firms recruit at SJU.

If commuting to Fordham or Baruch isn't a problem, then those 2 schools are your first 2 choices (in no particular order, Fordham may have been career services, but Baruch is substantially cheaper). However, if you cannot commute into the city and you live in NJ, then I suggest go to a local NJ school. If you live on Long Island, I suggest check Hofstra out. If you live in Queens, check out SJU (however I'm not sure how much they've moved into Manhattan). Once you are looking at non-ranked schools, convenience and price matter more than anything else.

The real picture of St John's is that they are trying to improve their business school and in 20 years they could be at a level that is greater than Fordham and Baruch, however as of now there's no competition. For a little more perspective, e-mail some recruiters and ask them what schools make their candidates easier to place. The overwhelming response I received was that (aside from NYU and CU), Fordham and Baruch MBAs are much more marketable than any other school in the NYC metro area.

maite

Oct 24, 2007 03:25

useful 0

thank you for the long post.
I know, best is to retake the 520 GMAT... but even with a better result, Columbia and NYU are still out of reach I guess. So I'm glad about your advice concerning Baruch, and Fordham, very helpful.
thank you for the long post.
I know, best is to retake the 520 GMAT... but even with a better result, Columbia and NYU are still out of reach I guess. So I'm glad about your advice concerning Baruch, and Fordham, very helpful.

Oct 26, 2007 03:26

useful 0

I have GMAT of 510 and 2 yr work ex.GPA-3.7,decent extra curicular activities and social work.Kindly suggest me some univ. in US where i can get admitted considering avilability of financial aid(aid is very imp. to me..).Please help!!!
I have GMAT of 510 and 2 yr work ex.GPA-3.7,decent extra curicular activities and social work.Kindly suggest me some univ. in US where i can get admitted considering avilability of financial aid(aid is very imp. to me..).Please help!!!

maite

Oct 29, 2007 05:54

useful 0

Well, Amar, unfortunately only the top level programs are listed in the rankings. There ist no listing those kind of schools you are looking for, so you will have to do your own research, going through the schools one by one.
The first question should be easy to answer, many schools disclose info on GMATand GPA range of their students.

Regarding financial support, this is a heary question - you might be looking for a loan, or a scholarship, depending on what funds you have already; some schools offer scholarships for students from certain countries, or specially for women etc. But to get any funding, they will look at your results also, so maybe you can retake it?

Anyways, be aware, an MBA is an investment. You cannot not expect your whole MBA, tuition and living, being paid by means of financial aid. Unless you are a total genius with the best grades on earth...
Well, Amar, unfortunately only the top level programs are listed in the rankings. There ist no listing those kind of schools you are looking for, so you will have to do your own research, going through the schools one by one.
The first question should be easy to answer, many schools disclose info on GMATand GPA range of their students.

Regarding financial support, this is a heary question - you might be looking for a loan, or a scholarship, depending on what funds you have already; some schools offer scholarships for students from certain countries, or specially for women etc. But to get any funding, they will look at your results also, so maybe you can retake it?

Anyways, be aware, an MBA is an investment. You cannot not expect your whole MBA, tuition and living, being paid by means of financial aid. Unless you are a total genius with the best grades on earth...

Oct 29, 2007 05:10

useful 0

Thanx Maite...for being so straightforward in your reply...
I have shortlisted Howard and Hofstara....can u please tell me which is better in terms of availability of internship and employers visiting the campus.IS there any slightest chance of getting a financial aid...
Pls advice...
Thanx Maite...for being so straightforward in your reply...
I have shortlisted Howard and Hofstara....can u please tell me which is better in terms of availability of internship and employers visiting the campus.IS there any slightest chance of getting a financial aid...
Pls advice...

reya

Nov 27, 2007 04:51

useful 0

can someone tell me which school is better: fordham or baruch?
can someone tell me which school is better: fordham or baruch?

vgasanova

Dec 14, 2007 04:50

useful 0

Hello everyone!

I am current International MBA students at Tobin School of Business, so it was nice to read good thing about my school. Well, bad things are also important to know, even if I can not agree with most of them judging from my own experience. But I am here to ask different question.
I noticed that some people here already graduated with an MBA and even recruit MBAs for their companies, I hope they will be able to give me their informed opinion. My current GPA is 3.87, I had 4.0 for 2 semesters but then got some bad luck. I heard on many occasions that it is very important to graduate with 4.0 if you are not from the top school but want to get a decent job. Well, for me it is beyond achievable now, the best I can get at this point is 3.9, so I was wondering if it is really as important to have perfect GPA as people think?
I honestly don't know many MBAs with a perfect GPA at the time of graduation, at least not in my major (Finance), but jobs in top companies are also limited.
Hello everyone!

I am current International MBA students at Tobin School of Business, so it was nice to read good thing about my school. Well, bad things are also important to know, even if I can not agree with most of them judging from my own experience. But I am here to ask different question.
I noticed that some people here already graduated with an MBA and even recruit MBAs for their companies, I hope they will be able to give me their informed opinion. My current GPA is 3.87, I had 4.0 for 2 semesters but then got some bad luck. I heard on many occasions that it is very important to graduate with 4.0 if you are not from the top school but want to get a decent job. Well, for me it is beyond achievable now, the best I can get at this point is 3.9, so I was wondering if it is really as important to have perfect GPA as people think?
I honestly don't know many MBAs with a perfect GPA at the time of graduation, at least not in my major (Finance), but jobs in top companies are also limited.

G3XL

Dec 14, 2007 10:19

useful 0

To VGasanova,

Thanks for participating. To answer your question, your assumption of the perfect GPA as a requirement for a top job, if not from a top school is not true. Look at it from the Investment Banking industry's point of view. While, recruiting will (in addition to other factors, even for someone not from a top school) be skewed toward's those with higher GPA's, once you go beyond a certain threshold relative to your cohort, other criteria will also be used to gauge your fit for the position. Some of these qualitative factors will be too intangible to be measured using conventional academic tools. And in some cases, a very high GPA may work against you, especially if you're in a situation where almost everyone else has a similar GPA: It makes it more difficult for prospective employers to differentiate students relative to the intensity level of subjects and coursework taken, during the student's academic tenure. Therefore, it is not important to have a perfect GPA, but an above average GPA relative to difficult and challenging subjects taken.

Hope this helps,
G3XL
To VGasanova,

Thanks for participating. To answer your question, your assumption of the perfect GPA as a requirement for a top job, if not from a top school is not true. Look at it from the Investment Banking industry's point of view. While, recruiting will (in addition to other factors, even for someone not from a top school) be skewed toward's those with higher GPA's, once you go beyond a certain threshold relative to your cohort, other criteria will also be used to gauge your fit for the position. Some of these qualitative factors will be too intangible to be measured using conventional academic tools. And in some cases, a very high GPA may work against you, especially if you're in a situation where almost everyone else has a similar GPA: It makes it more difficult for prospective employers to differentiate students relative to the intensity level of subjects and coursework taken, during the student's academic tenure. Therefore, it is not important to have a perfect GPA, but an above average GPA relative to difficult and challenging subjects taken.

Hope this helps,
G3XL

vgasanova

Dec 15, 2007 12:57

useful 0

To G3XL

Thank you very much for your reply.
It sure helps. I am trying to take as many finance and risk management related subjects as I can, and it helps me a lot in terms of understanding Financial Services Industry, but it also makes getting straight As so much tougher. I know a lot of people who are doing the opposite, they try to take as many easy A classes as they can possible squeeze into their curriculum, but of course they are more successful in maintaining 4.0 GPA than I was.
I hope my choice of classes will be taken into consideration by potential employers.

Thanks again for the reply!
To G3XL

Thank you very much for your reply.
It sure helps. I am trying to take as many finance and risk management related subjects as I can, and it helps me a lot in terms of understanding Financial Services Industry, but it also makes getting straight As so much tougher. I know a lot of people who are doing the opposite, they try to take as many easy A classes as they can possible squeeze into their curriculum, but of course they are more successful in maintaining 4.0 GPA than I was.
I hope my choice of classes will be taken into consideration by potential employers.

Thanks again for the reply!

karthik

Mar 05, 2009 07:21

useful 0

hi every one ...
i am willing to do media and entertainment in mba in u.k/u.s...
is there any university which offers ...the coures..with out gmat or gre ...score.
hi every one ...
i am willing to do media and entertainment in mba in u.k/u.s...
is there any university which offers ...the coures..with out gmat or gre ...score.

Malia

Mar 05, 2009 10:09

useful 0

Dear karthik,

Why do you post these questions in a thread called "MBA in New York"?

>i am willing to do media and entertainment in mba in us
Willingness is important, but not the only requirement.

>and which are the university's that offer this course in us...
Please use the search function on the top right of this website.
Dear karthik,

Why do you post these questions in a thread called "MBA in New York"?

>i am willing to do media and entertainment in mba in us
Willingness is important, but not the only requirement.

>and which are the university's that offer this course in us...
Please use the search function on the top right of this website.

munzir

Mar 08, 2009 05:57

useful 0

hi everybody ....
i am looking for the business school in NY which is good for international business n marketing. can any one suggest the top 3 from NY are NYU stern, columbia n cornell.. i want to kno abt others as its really tough to get in to those so if any body could tell me the ones ranked 4,5,6, in NY
hi everybody ....
i am looking for the business school in NY which is good for international business n marketing. can any one suggest the top 3 from NY are NYU stern, columbia n cornell.. i want to kno abt others as its really tough to get in to those so if any body could tell me the ones ranked 4,5,6, in NY

Malia

Mar 08, 2009 10:37

useful 0

Hi munzir,

Read this thread from the beginning and you will find the answer: http://www.find-mba.com/board/2112

Please everyone, don't write SMS style like "i want to kno abt". It's really difficult to read.

BTW: It's "anybody" not "any body", "someone" not "some one" etc. (http://www.mhhe.com/mayfieldpub/tsw/someone.htm http://www.mhhe.com/mayfieldpub/tsw/anyone.htm). Some effort please!
Hi munzir,

Read this thread from the beginning and you will find the answer: http://www.find-mba.com/board/2112

Please everyone, don't write SMS style like "i want to kno abt". It's really difficult to read.

BTW: It's "anybody" not "any body", "someone" not "some one" etc. (http://www.mhhe.com/mayfieldpub/tsw/someone.htm http://www.mhhe.com/mayfieldpub/tsw/anyone.htm). Some effort please!

Malia

Mar 09, 2009 10:20

useful 0

Here's my ranking (overall "brand name"):

1. Columbia
2. NYU
---
3. Cornell
---
4. Fordham
---
5. Baruch
5. Hofstra
5. St. John's
5. Pace
Here's my ranking (overall "brand name"):

1. Columbia
2. NYU
---
3. Cornell
---
4. Fordham
---
5. Baruch
5. Hofstra
5. St. John's
5. Pace

Pitch

Apr 01, 2009 11:16

useful 0

One word: Columbia
One word: Columbia

DimNis

Jul 20, 2009 05:48

useful 0

jeffrese

Feb 24, 2010 06:26

useful 0

The Metropolitan College of New York MBA program is a waste of time and money. I can't believe they are still accredited. MCNY accreditation cheapens all higher learning facilities with legitimate accreditation. It's a business, not a school. All they care about is letting anybody enter as long as they have money or access to loans. Don't go there, or better yet, go there and tour the "campus" and decide for yourself. It's nothing more than a rip off factory that will take your money and hand you a worthless degree that will not help you get a job. Check out mcnymba(dot)com.
The Metropolitan College of New York MBA program is a waste of time and money. I can't believe they are still accredited. MCNY accreditation cheapens all higher learning facilities with legitimate accreditation. It's a business, not a school. All they care about is letting anybody enter as long as they have money or access to loans. Don't go there, or better yet, go there and tour the "campus" and decide for yourself. It's nothing more than a rip off factory that will take your money and hand you a worthless degree that will not help you get a job. Check out mcnymba(dot)com.

Jul 25, 2010 04:16

useful 0

hEY guyz!.. i got an unconditional offer letter from durham
(MA management) and aston university ( Msc International Business). I am finding it dicey to decide, which university has better job prospect. For me most important aspect is bright job prospectus and return on investment??? help me out..
hEY guyz!.. i got an unconditional offer letter from durham
(MA management) and aston university ( Msc International Business). I am finding it dicey to decide, which university has better job prospect. For me most important aspect is bright job prospectus and return on investment??? help me out..

Malia

Jul 25, 2010 11:04

useful 0

Sorry, completely off topic. This thread is about MBA programs in New York. Better try somewhere else!
Sorry, completely off topic. This thread is about MBA programs in New York. Better try somewhere else!

ivapm

Aug 27, 2010 05:54

useful 0

Hello. My name is Ivana, and I am from Dominican Republic. My GPA is 3.3 and I wish to know a good school to get my MBA, but that is not so expensive, i am a non-resident and i would have to be admitted as an international student, therefor costs are very high.
thanks
Hello. My name is Ivana, and I am from Dominican Republic. My GPA is 3.3 and I wish to know a good school to get my MBA, but that is not so expensive, i am a non-resident and i would have to be admitted as an international student, therefor costs are very high.
thanks

Reply to Post