MBA in Energy

I have found some older threads here discussing the best MBA programs for energy, but nothing recent. It looks like these business schools come up often in the older threads:

Duke
Rice
University of Texas at Austin
Oklahoma

Anybody have any idea if these are still the best programs? I'm only really looking in the United States.

I have found some older threads here discussing the best MBA programs for energy, but nothing recent. It looks like these business schools come up often in the older threads:

Duke
Rice
University of Texas at Austin
Oklahoma

Anybody have any idea if these are still the best programs? I'm only really looking in the United States.
ralph

According to this list:

http://www.find-mba.com/specializations/9/energy-and-natural-resources

You're pretty much right on track: the top US programs are:

Berkeley - Haas
Texas A&M - Mays
Austin - McCombs
Duke - Fuqua
Rice - Jones

Haas is interesting to me because the others are obviously in areas where oil is big business. I suppose that Haas represents the other side of that coin: Haas' proximity to Silicon Valley makes getting in touch with clean energy VCs and startups much easier.

Oklahoma - Price is also interesting; while it doesn't have the same cachet as some of the others in the list above, it does have strong placements in energy and decent curriculum, especially in energy finance.

According to this list:

Berkeley - Haas
Texas A&M - Mays
Austin - McCombs
Duke - Fuqua
Rice - Jones

Haas is interesting to me because the others are obviously in areas where oil is big business. I suppose that Haas represents the other side of that coin: Haas' proximity to Silicon Valley makes getting in touch with clean energy VCs and startups much easier.

Oklahoma - Price is also interesting; while it doesn't have the same cachet as some of the others in the list above, it does have strong placements in energy and decent curriculum, especially in energy finance.

Thank you so much! It seems like a lot of these programs are in Texas. Berkeley actually sounds like it's more my speed, and I am interested in clean energy as well.

Thank you so much! It seems like a lot of these programs are in Texas. Berkeley actually sounds like it's more my speed, and I am interested in clean energy as well.
ralph

Then also look at Stanford. I'd argue that a preparing for a career in clean energy is fairly different from a career in traditional energy, so the typical "energy" MBA programs like Rice and Oklahoma probably wouldn't be as much benefit to you if you weren't going into the oil industry. Instead, look for programs that will help you with the financial side of the industry, tracking down funds through VCs, etc., Stanford fits these requirements, and the wider university has a huge footprint in the research in this field.

Then also look at Stanford. I'd argue that a preparing for a career in clean energy is fairly different from a career in traditional energy, so the typical "energy" MBA programs like Rice and Oklahoma probably wouldn't be as much benefit to you if you weren't going into the oil industry. Instead, look for programs that will help you with the financial side of the industry, tracking down funds through VCs, etc., Stanford fits these requirements, and the wider university has a huge footprint in the research in this field.
badux

I don't know, I was just looking at SunPower's website, and not one of the people on their leadership team has an MBA from Berkeley. In fact, MBAs are somewhat rare and not what you'd expect: Georgetown, University of Florida, Wharton... A lot of them actually have higher degrees in engineering, in fact.

I don't know, I was just looking at SunPower's website, and not one of the people on their leadership team has an MBA from Berkeley. In fact, MBAs are somewhat rare and not what you'd expect: Georgetown, University of Florida, Wharton... A lot of them actually have higher degrees in engineering, in fact.
Razors Edg...

Yes, on the micro level it won't be that homogenous. But more broadly, I think US clean energy folks with MBAs went to either Haas, Stanford, or Harvard, for the most part. At least that's what linkedin says.

Yes, on the micro level it won't be that homogenous. But more broadly, I think US clean energy folks with MBAs went to either Haas, Stanford, or Harvard, for the most part. At least that's what linkedin says.
azc

According to this list:

Berkeley - Haas
Texas A&M - Mays
Austin - McCombs
Duke - Fuqua
Rice - Jones

Dear all,
More I read blogs more I am getting confused about the best pick. I am sharing my short scenario case and career objective with you.
I am 39 from Pakistan working in NOC at Qatar. My short term goals are to work for IOC (E & P) company in UK anywhere or Aberdeen. My immigration process for Canada is about to mature and there is a minute possibility that I may be looking for some career options in Calgary/Alberta market. Reason for giving preference to UK is related to my better half professional career as she is a medical practitioner and she has clinical practice prospects in UK with no or very less chances in Canada/USA market.
My long term objectives are to establish my own business in any line of business like management/marketing/manufacturing/trading or anything else (I kept myself open to all to evaluate further till date).
I have seen couple of posts to target FT ranked college, but when I see the alumni status of Robert Gordon that gives me a different picture in my case as compared to Warwick, Imperial, Strathclyde, Cranfield.
www.linkedin.com/edu/alumni?id=12660

I can afford to do only online / Executive MBA. On campus MBA is not an option for me.
Question: Executive MBA normally are at much high rates than Online MBA. Is it worth to spend more money on Executive when you have same courses options in online degree?
Do these colleges like Warwick and Imperial mention on their degrees about mode of course, say online MBA?
Please advise me best suited program, I am open to US options too like Fisher/Kelly/Arizona State Uni/UT Dallas/ even though US programs are double the priced and has less ROI.
Aprreciate valuable comments.

<blockquote>According to this list:

Berkeley - Haas
Texas A&M - Mays
Austin - McCombs
Duke - Fuqua
Rice - Jones

Dear all,
More I read blogs more I am getting confused about the best pick. I am sharing my short scenario case and career objective with you.
I am 39 from Pakistan working in NOC at Qatar. My short term goals are to work for IOC (E & P) company in UK anywhere or Aberdeen. My immigration process for Canada is about to mature and there is a minute possibility that I may be looking for some career options in Calgary/Alberta market. Reason for giving preference to UK is related to my better half professional career as she is a medical practitioner and she has clinical practice prospects in UK with no or very less chances in Canada/USA market.
My long term objectives are to establish my own business in any line of business like management/marketing/manufacturing/trading or anything else (I kept myself open to all to evaluate further till date).
I have seen couple of posts to target FT ranked college, but when I see the alumni status of Robert Gordon that gives me a different picture in my case as compared to Warwick, Imperial, Strathclyde, Cranfield.
www.linkedin.com/edu/alumni?id=12660

I can afford to do only online / Executive MBA. On campus MBA is not an option for me.
Question: Executive MBA normally are at much high rates than Online MBA. Is it worth to spend more money on Executive when you have same courses options in online degree?
Do these colleges like Warwick and Imperial mention on their degrees about mode of course, say online MBA?
Please advise me best suited program, I am open to US options too like Fisher/Kelly/Arizona State Uni/UT Dallas/ even though US programs are double the priced and has less ROI.
Aprreciate valuable comments.

I'm only really focused on Berkeley and Stanford, I don't think Warwick or Imperial or any of the other lower ranked MBAs are really going to do it for me. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I'm only really focused on Berkeley and Stanford, I don't think Warwick or Imperial or any of the other lower ranked MBAs are really going to do it for me. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Berkeley, California 100 Followers 116 Discussions
Durham, North Carolina 52 Followers 103 Discussions
Austin, Texas 47 Followers 77 Discussions
Houston, Texas 22 Followers 41 Discussions
Stillwater, Oklahoma 6 Followers 8 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

Tapping Into California’s Tech Hub: More Business Schools Putting Down Roots in Silicon Valley

Article Mar 16, 2015

As the demand for techies with MBAs increases, more and more business schools are setting up shop in Silicon Valley and San Francisco. But is the market becoming saturated?

Top 10 Ranked Business Schools in Texas

Top List

The Lone Star State hosts a number of great MBA programs. Here are the ten best

Hot Discussions