MBA in California, lower GMAT score

Hi everybody, because of timing and family issues I must do my MBA in California starting in 2015. I took the GMAT and I scored 600, so from what I gather my chances at the really good schools like Stanford, UCLA, and USC are pretty much slim to none.

Does anybody know of some other, relatively ok schools that I can apply to successfully? I have in-state residency status in California, if that makes a difference. My background is sales and I have 4 years of experience. I want to move into the marketing function, preferably.

Hi everybody, because of timing and family issues I must do my MBA in California starting in 2015. I took the GMAT and I scored 600, so from what I gather my chances at the really good schools like Stanford, UCLA, and USC are pretty much slim to none.

Does anybody know of some other, relatively ok schools that I can apply to successfully? I have in-state residency status in California, if that makes a difference. My background is sales and I have 4 years of experience. I want to move into the marketing function, preferably.
Benson001

I don't know about the low score universities that will provide MBA but here are some of best universities in California are:
University of Southern California (USC) - Marshall School of Business
University of California, Berkeley - Haas School of Business
University of San Diego (USD) School of Business Administration
California State University, Long Beach

I don't know about the low score universities that will provide MBA but here are some of best universities in California are:
University of Southern California (USC) - Marshall School of Business
University of California, Berkeley - Haas School of Business
University of San Diego (USD) School of Business Administration
California State University, Long Beach
ralph

Of the schools you listed, maybe this applicant is competitive at CSULB; it's a very long shot for the others. In fact, any ranked MBA program is California is probably out of the question with a 600 GMAT score.

Like CSULB, there are a few other accredited by non-ranked MBA programs that you may be competitive at: CSU San Bernardino, for instance, or SDSU. Claremont would be a reach school.

Getting your GMAT score up to say 680 or so would make you reasonably competitive at schools like UCSD - Rady, or USD, and maybe even Irvine - Merage.

Of the schools you listed, maybe this applicant is competitive at CSULB; it's a very long shot for the others. In fact, any ranked MBA program is California is probably out of the question with a 600 GMAT score.

Like CSULB, there are a few other accredited by non-ranked MBA programs that you may be competitive at: CSU San Bernardino, for instance, or SDSU. Claremont would be a reach school.

Getting your GMAT score up to say 680 or so would make you reasonably competitive at schools like UCSD - Rady, or USD, and maybe even Irvine - Merage.

Thanks for that... Maybe I should retake the GMAT. I would rather be able to get into a better school.

Thanks for that... Maybe I should retake the GMAT. I would rather be able to get into a better school.
ralph

Good idea.

Good idea.

My GMAT score is 640 and I am looking at doing an MBA in California. What would you suggest for me?

My GMAT score is 640 and I am looking at doing an MBA in California. What would you suggest for me?
Inactive User

SDSU, maybe? What are your career goals? Also, your work experience and GPA would be good to know as well.

SDSU, maybe? What are your career goals? Also, your work experience and GPA would be good to know as well.

Career goals: transition into high end real estate or a sales manager role, in a good firm (doesn't have to be a huge firm but something that would offer long-term support and growth).

Work experience: Independent Realtor (since 2013). Before that I was doing sales (several roles across three industries) - that was between 2007 and 2013.

Undergrad GPA: 3.3

Thanks.

Career goals: transition into high end real estate or a sales manager role, in a good firm (doesn't have to be a huge firm but something that would offer long-term support and growth).

Work experience: Independent Realtor (since 2013). Before that I was doing sales (several roles across three industries) - that was between 2007 and 2013.

Undergrad GPA: 3.3

Thanks.
Inactive User

Your length of work experience should give you a bit of an edge over younger applicants. But I don't think it will make enough difference to tip the scales at one of the better b-schools in California.

Try SDSU, UC Irvine, and UCSD, off the top of my head.

Your length of work experience should give you a bit of an edge over younger applicants. But I don't think it will make enough difference to tip the scales at one of the better b-schools in California.

Try SDSU, UC Irvine, and UCSD, off the top of my head.

Sorry, I am just seeing this now! Thank you for the advice!

Sorry, I am just seeing this now! Thank you for the advice!
psj

Hi;
I am female economics graduate from India; and have a GMAT of
580; GPA 3.1/4.0; and have a 2.5 years of work experience
at New Agency (economic reporting). I also have a online startup;
Can you suggest any MBA schools for me in USA/California.
thanks

Hi;
I am female economics graduate from India; and have a GMAT of
580; GPA 3.1/4.0; and have a 2.5 years of work experience
at New Agency (economic reporting). I also have a online startup;
Can you suggest any MBA schools for me in USA/California.
thanks
Inactive User

A GMAT score under 600 from an international student is honestly probably going to be a hard sell at most accredited MBA programs. If you had more work experience (5 years+) or a great GPA, this could help offset it.

What's your GMAT score breakdown (verbal / quant)?

The only thing I can think is maybe you should look into AACSB-accredited Cal State programs (at San Bernardino for example)...

A GMAT score under 600 from an international student is honestly probably going to be a hard sell at most accredited MBA programs. If you had more work experience (5 years+) or a great GPA, this could help offset it.

What's your GMAT score breakdown (verbal / quant)?

The only thing I can think is maybe you should look into AACSB-accredited Cal State programs (at San Bernardino for example)...

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Berkeley, California 100 Followers 116 Discussions
San Bernardino, California 26 Followers 18 Discussions
Claremont, California 6 Followers 6 Discussions
La Jolla, California 35 Followers 18 Discussions
San Diego, California 41 Followers 29 Discussions
Irvine, California 41 Followers 40 Discussions
Stanford, California 96 Followers 171 Discussions
San Diego, California 55 Followers 28 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 103 Followers 120 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 89 Followers 147 Discussions
Long Beach, California 31 Followers 27 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

A Place in the Sun: MBA Programs in California

Article May 08, 2010

Nice weather aside, California is still the place to go for those seeking the next big thing.

Top 10 MBA Programs in the US for Low GMAT Scores

Top List

Have a lower-than-average GMAT and want to apply to a US MBA program? These MBAs punch above their weight, in terms of average GMAT scores.

Hot Discussions