MBA California

Hello everybody,
I'd like to do an MBA in California - which are the good schools? I am interested in all information, the school does not have to be in San Diego or LA.
Adriana

Hello everybody,
I'd like to do an MBA in California - which are the good schools? I am interested in all information, the school does not have to be in San Diego or LA.
Adriana
masterXX

Hi Adriana,
I could tell you some things, but it's not so simple. California is where you have the biggest offer of different programs in the US, more than 60 - can you guide me a bit ?

Hi Adriana,
I could tell you some things, but it's not so simple. California is where you have the biggest offer of different programs in the US, more than 60 - can you guide me a bit ?
Marsha

This thread from earlier this year may give you some ideas: http://www.find-mba.com/board/2177

This thread from earlier this year may give you some ideas: http://www.find-mba.com/board/2177

I am interested in an MBA in health management or connected, I work in an NGO, thanks

I am interested in an MBA in health management or connected, I work in an NGO, thanks
masterXX

Ok, health - you have several options, check this:
- San Diego State University
- National University, La Jolla
- University of La Verne
...and some more

Besides, Hope International University in Fullerton offers an MBA in Non-Profit Management, is that interesting for you?

Ok, health - you have several options, check this:
- San Diego State University
- National University, La Jolla
- University of La Verne
...and some more

Besides, Hope International University in Fullerton offers an MBA in Non-Profit Management, is that interesting for you?
Marsha

I would not so much look into the concentrations. Rather, I would check the rankings/reputation first and then take alook at which courses are offered in the best schools.

I would not so much look into the concentrations. Rather, I would check the rankings/reputation first and then take alook at which courses are offered in the best schools.

Thanks for this advice Marsha, but I must admit that my GMAT score is not enough for schools in the top rankings... :o
Right now I am considering all schools in California offering an MBA in my specialization, because I know I can't expect to be accepted everywhere.

Thanks for this advice Marsha, but I must admit that my GMAT score is not enough for schools in the top rankings... :o
Right now I am considering all schools in California offering an MBA in my specialization, because I know I can't expect to be accepted everywhere.
masterXX

Hey Marsha,
Where would you advise Adriana to go? You think a generalist MBA could be interesting for her in terms of career planning, even though she needs those special skills?
I always wondered about this, I studied economics, so any general OR specialized MBA would be the continuation, but with a specific plan like her...?

Hey Marsha,
Where would you advise Adriana to go? You think a generalist MBA could be interesting for her in terms of career planning, even though she needs those special skills?
I always wondered about this, I studied economics, so any general OR specialized MBA would be the continuation, but with a specific plan like her...?
Marsha

Most "general" MBA programs allow a specialization as they offer a wide selection of courses. I would try to get into the best B-School you can if this schools offers optional courses in the field you are interested to speciaze in. Your MBA degree will stay with you for the rest of your life, so I would think twice before I spent 30k for a program no one ever heard of.

Tht does not mean that the programs mentioned by MasterX are of bad quality. I have not heard anything about theses schools, but I am not the person that matters. It really depends, which schools have a good reputation in the country you want to work and in the field of your specialization.

Most "general" MBA programs allow a specialization as they offer a wide selection of courses. I would try to get into the best B-School you can if this schools offers optional courses in the field you are interested to speciaze in. Your MBA degree will stay with you for the rest of your life, so I would think twice before I spent 30k for a program no one ever heard of.

Tht does not mean that the programs mentioned by MasterX are of bad quality. I have not heard anything about theses schools, but I am not the person that matters. It really depends, which schools have a good reputation in the country you want to work and in the field of your specialization.

Hi there,
Thanks for the explanation. Of course I would be thrilled to study at one of the schools with good international reputation, but I'm afraid that my GMAT score will make that impossible.
I will still check the admission criteria of each one of the top schools, maybe there is a chance. Of course if there are too many applying, I'll be the first one to be ruled out..
I guess best in my "case" is to open many different options at the same time!

Hi there,
Thanks for the explanation. Of course I would be thrilled to study at one of the schools with good international reputation, but I'm afraid that my GMAT score will make that impossible.
I will still check the admission criteria of each one of the top schools, maybe there is a chance. Of course if there are too many applying, I'll be the first one to be ruled out..
I guess best in my "case" is to open many different options at the same time!
masterXX

Hi Adriana,
check out Berkely UNiversity, they offer A 2.5-year concurrent MBA/MPH degree (offered by the Haas School of Business and the School of Public Health). Students take courses in both schools and receive a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) and a Masters of Public Health (MPH).

I don't know anything about admission criteria though

Hi Adriana,
check out Berkely UNiversity, they offer A 2.5-year concurrent MBA/MPH degree (offered by the Haas School of Business and the School of Public Health). Students take courses in both schools and receive a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) and a Masters of Public Health (MPH).

I don't know anything about admission criteria though

MasterXX, it is an amazing program, but I have checked their website, the average GMAT is 700, and I won't make it unfortunately, I think.
Adriana :(

MasterXX, it is an amazing program, but I have checked their website, the average GMAT is 700, and I won't make it unfortunately, I think.
Adriana :(
masterXX

Hey Adriana, don't lose your optimism! I think as a first step you should find out which schools you have chances to get in with GMAT result you have.
It is of course more difficult to find out about quality of programs which don't appear in the top international rankings. Accreditations count, but as well personal experience of people. Cheer up!

Hey Adriana, don't lose your optimism! I think as a first step you should find out which schools you have chances to get in with GMAT result you have.
It is of course more difficult to find out about quality of programs which don't appear in the top international rankings. Accreditations count, but as well personal experience of people. Cheer up!

Hey, It is nice to get your supprt :).
Usually I don't have a problem with all this - ok, with my GMAT result I will not be able to enter one of the top schools, but I don't really need either to be amongst the world business elite. I think it will be such a personal and professional benefit to an MBA anyways, as well if it is not a top ranked one.
It's just when I see these tempting programs as the one you suggested in Berkely, it annoys me that this door is closed for me...
Never mind, I will find something thrilling, I am sure!

Hey, It is nice to get your supprt :).
Usually I don't have a problem with all this - ok, with my GMAT result I will not be able to enter one of the top schools, but I don't really need either to be amongst the world business elite. I think it will be such a personal and professional benefit to an MBA anyways, as well if it is not a top ranked one.
It's just when I see these tempting programs as the one you suggested in Berkely, it annoys me that this door is closed for me...
Never mind, I will find something thrilling, I am sure!
masterXX

Did you check out USD?? I know you don't NEED to go to San Diego, but you have nothing against it I guess. They offer a dual degree MBA / MS in Nursing (MSN), interesting for you?

Did you check out USD?? I know you don't NEED to go to San Diego, but you have nothing against it I guess. They offer a dual degree MBA / MS in Nursing (MSN), interesting for you?
Hiroko

I've just applied for an MBA in San Diego. But since I don't know anything about the city because I've never been there, I would like to know how the situation is regarding housing: Which are good neighbourhoods? How expensive is it? Are people used to sharing flats?
Thank you!

I've just applied for an MBA in San Diego. But since I don't know anything about the city because I've never been there, I would like to know how the situation is regarding housing: Which are good neighbourhoods? How expensive is it? Are people used to sharing flats?
Thank you!

I will definitely apply to University of San Diego. I have been to their site, but they don't give information about avarage GMAT of their students... who can tell me?

I will definitely apply to University of San Diego. I have been to their site, but they don't give information about avarage GMAT of their students... who can tell me?

Someone has experience with this kind of double dedrees? I wonder if it a very heavy workload, or If I could consider a part time job besides studying, since studies go over several years?

<blockquote>I will definitely apply to University of San Diego. I have been to their site, but they don't give information about avarage GMAT of their students... who can tell me?
</blockquote>

Someone has experience with this kind of double dedrees? I wonder if it a very heavy workload, or If I could consider a part time job besides studying, since studies go over several years?
masterXX

It all depends on the weekly hours. A double degree done over a period of several year can be perfectly compatible with a parttime work.
Did you find out how many week hours this would be?

It all depends on the weekly hours. A double degree done over a period of several year can be perfectly compatible with a parttime work.
Did you find out how many week hours this would be?

I just can't find on their website what the weekly workload would be. Nor the info about how many years of study. They hide this somewhere...

I just can't find on their website what the weekly workload would be. Nor the info about how many years of study. They hide this somewhere...

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Berkeley, California 100 Followers 116 Discussions
San Luis Obispo, California 4 Followers 5 Discussions
La Verne, California 4 Followers 2 Discussions
Fullerton, California 4 Followers 1 Discussion
San Diego, California 41 Followers 29 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 27 Followers 5 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 53 Followers 175 Discussions
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 67 Followers 172 Discussions
Boston, Massachusetts 85 Followers 204 Discussions
Evanston, Illinois 71 Followers 205 Discussions
Chicago, Illinois 42 Followers 149 Discussions
Stanford, California 96 Followers 171 Discussions
San Diego, California 55 Followers 28 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 103 Followers 120 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 89 Followers 147 Discussions
Davis, California 21 Followers 26 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 10 Followers 7 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

A Place in the Sun: MBA Programs in California

Article May 08, 2010

Nice weather aside, California is still the place to go for those seeking the next big thing.

Hot Discussions