mba and cpa

neeraja

my son is a semi qualified CA and CWA working for Deloitte in the position of Auditor Compliance. He had 15 years of education ie B.Com with CGPA 6.7. He has 3.5 years of work experience with Big 4 audit firms.
Now he wants to pursue MBA from a business school in USA with a motto of completing CPA simultaneously.
He wants to get into a medium B school where he could do his MBA in budget and also could get opt and cpt opportunities.
He booked slots for IELTS and GMAT. He wants to go for fall 2015
Can you suggest in this regard?

my son is a semi qualified CA and CWA working for Deloitte in the position of Auditor Compliance. He had 15 years of education ie B.Com with CGPA 6.7. He has 3.5 years of work experience with Big 4 audit firms.
Now he wants to pursue MBA from a business school in USA with a motto of completing CPA simultaneously.
He wants to get into a medium B school where he could do his MBA in budget and also could get opt and cpt opportunities.
He booked slots for IELTS and GMAT. He wants to go for fall 2015
Can you suggest in this regard?
Duncan

He should get into the best school he can do.

He should get into the best school he can do.
Inactive User

From what I understand, it's tough to pull off an MBA get your hours for the CPA at the same time, but is possible, although not many business schools offer the infrastructure to do so. Rutgers and Zicklin do, I believe, and others may as well but you'll have to look into it. In any case, your son will have to sit for the CPA exam.

Maybe a dual-degree MBA/MS in Accounting is a possibility. I know Northeastern offers such a program, it's 15 months long with a residency in an accounting firm, and prepares you to sit for the CPA exam.

But in general, Duncan's right... If your son could get into a top school like NYU or Booth, for instance, and then find some way to do the CPA prep externally, that would probably be a safe bet.

From what I understand, it's tough to pull off an MBA get your hours for the CPA at the same time, but is possible, although not many business schools offer the infrastructure to do so. Rutgers and Zicklin do, I believe, and others may as well but you'll have to look into it. In any case, your son will have to sit for the CPA exam.

Maybe a dual-degree MBA/MS in Accounting is a possibility. I know Northeastern offers such a program, it's 15 months long with a residency in an accounting firm, and prepares you to sit for the CPA exam.

But in general, Duncan's right... If your son could get into a top school like NYU or Booth, for instance, and then find some way to do the CPA prep externally, that would probably be a safe bet.
Razors Edg...

From what I've heard, many CPA boards will allow you to apply hours that you've accrued taking MBA-level courses in accounting towards CPA certification. So if you do an accounting major as part of your MBA program, there's a chance that you can use those hours. Of course, you'll still have to take the CPA exam, and requirements will vary from state-to-state, so check with the jurisdiction where you'll be taking the exam.

From what I've heard, many CPA boards will allow you to apply hours that you've accrued taking MBA-level courses in accounting towards CPA certification. So if you do an accounting major as part of your MBA program, there's a chance that you can use those hours. Of course, you'll still have to take the CPA exam, and requirements will vary from state-to-state, so check with the jurisdiction where you'll be taking the exam.

Has anybody successfully studied for both an MBA and a CPA at the same time? I'd love to hear about the feasibility of this undertaking.

Has anybody successfully studied for both an MBA and a CPA at the same time? I'd love to hear about the feasibility of this undertaking.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Chicago, Illinois 42 Followers 149 Discussions
New York City, New York 177 Followers 249 Discussions
New York City, New York 78 Followers 68 Discussions
Newark, New Jersey 62 Followers 74 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

Top Business Schools for Accounting or Taxation

Top List

Analyzing financial information is key to any successful organization; that’s why accounting is a required core course on nearly every MBA program. See a list of the top top best MBA programs for a career in the field

Hot Discussions