managing MBA with a family

phpfreakk

Guys, I just submitted my late round applications for Boston University, ASU Carey, and Carnegie Mellon. I struggled with the decision even to apply, and now that I have I'm sort of freaking out a bit... See, I have a young son and am the sole provider for him and my wife. If we end up moving to Boston for instance, I have the feeling that it would be tricky to manage school, along with finances and other family issues...

Does anybody have any strategies for dealing? I know that in the long term an MBA would be worth it, but the next two years could be a bit brutal...

Guys, I just submitted my late round applications for Boston University, ASU Carey, and Carnegie Mellon. I struggled with the decision even to apply, and now that I have I'm sort of freaking out a bit... See, I have a young son and am the sole provider for him and my wife. If we end up moving to Boston for instance, I have the feeling that it would be tricky to manage school, along with finances and other family issues...

Does anybody have any strategies for dealing? I know that in the long term an MBA would be worth it, but the next two years could be a bit brutal...
Duncan

The school spirit matter a lot here. Ask to speak to students who are parents about the support they got from other students' partners and the school. Get your wife to agree deeply, and don't do it full-time if she does not.

The school spirit matter a lot here. Ask to speak to students who are parents about the support they got from other students' partners and the school. Get your wife to agree deeply, and don't do it full-time if she does not.
Inactive User

In terms of social support, many schools have 'partners clubs' or similar organizations that can be of help. I know that BU has a "Partners and Spouses Club" that organizes events, has an active Facebook page and more.

Financially, it might be challenging if you have less capacity to work, but people manage. Think of it as a business budgeting challenge.

In terms of social support, many schools have 'partners clubs' or similar organizations that can be of help. I know that BU has a "Partners and Spouses Club" that organizes events, has an active Facebook page and more.

Financially, it might be challenging if you have less capacity to work, but people manage. Think of it as a business budgeting challenge.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Boston, Massachusetts 161 Followers 109 Discussions
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 37 Followers 92 Discussions
Tempe, Arizona 26 Followers 65 Discussions

Other Related Content

MBA Programs in Boston: Business in the Cradle of the American Revolution

Article Apr 07, 2015

Boston’s strong industries are a major draw for MBAs in the area. But is the high cost of living worth it?