Low score in GMAT and chances of getting a decent university in the US

AFM

I took my GMAT recently and got a really low score of 440. I am planning to retake the exam in September. I have been working as an Associate Consultant with an IT firm for the past year and a half. What are the chances of me getting a decent university in the US for Spring 2015. If possible could anyone give me a list of universities that I can apply to.

I took my GMAT recently and got a really low score of 440. I am planning to retake the exam in September. I have been working as an Associate Consultant with an IT firm for the past year and a half. What are the chances of me getting a decent university in the US for Spring 2015. If possible could anyone give me a list of universities that I can apply to.
ralph

A couple of things:

Most US bschools start in the fall rather than the spring. The few that do offer spring intakes: Columbia, Cornell, Thunderbird, for instance, are unequivocally out of reach for you.

Perhaps a larger issue is your lower work experience, since most bschools require at least 2 years of work experience, and many of these admit students with 4 or more years of experience, on average. Those with less work experience can often help to offset this handicap with a stronger GMAT score.

With these two things in mind, I suggest taking some time to improve your GMAT score and get at least another year of work experience under your belt. Otherwise you might consider a master in management program, instead.

A couple of things:

Most US bschools start in the fall rather than the spring. The few that do offer spring intakes: Columbia, Cornell, Thunderbird, for instance, are unequivocally out of reach for you.

Perhaps a larger issue is your lower work experience, since most bschools require at least 2 years of work experience, and many of these admit students with 4 or more years of experience, on average. Those with less work experience can often help to offset this handicap with a stronger GMAT score.

With these two things in mind, I suggest taking some time to improve your GMAT score and get at least another year of work experience under your belt. Otherwise you might consider a master in management program, instead.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Ithaca, New York 89 Followers 136 Discussions
New York City, New York 158 Followers 259 Discussions
Glendale, Arizona 22 Followers 66 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

MBA Admissions: How to Improve Your GMAT Score

Article Jan 20, 2017

The GMAT isn’t the make-or-break factor for getting into a top-choice business school, but a high score always puts the shine on an application. The test can be grueling, however; here are some pointers and insight for how to get an upper hand on the standardized exam.

Top 10 MBA Programs in the US for Low GMAT Scores

Top List

Have a lower-than-average GMAT and want to apply to a US MBA program? These MBAs punch above their weight, in terms of average GMAT scores.

Hot Discussions