Help

dewaals

Hello,
Please help:
I will be 38 this year. I am interested in MBA program but I don\'t know which option to take whether to specialize in Acc, Fin, Health Care Adm, Supply chain, Management, etc. Right now it look like my interest in heading to either Accounting or Health care Adm.

I have a College degree in Applied Health with 3.19 GPA. I graduated 2 yrs ago.

I have about 7 yrs working experience in Healthcare as a Nursing Assistant. Before my graduation, I worked as Nursing Assistant at UMDNJ. Current I am working at UMDNJ as Perioperative Service Associate (PSA) in Operation Room which is unrelated to my field of study in College. I have no experience in management. My dream is to become a manager/ director at my work place in future as an Accountant/ Healthcare manager/director. I am shy, quiet and introvert. I am an average student in Maths and I love working/ playing with numbers.

I am preparing to take the GMAT so I can go Grad B-school next yr. I live in NJ and I am looking for decent B-school that offer part time program so I can keep my job and go to school at the same time.

Friends have suggested these B-school Rutgers, Seton Hall and FDU but both Seton Hall and FDU are private which are expensive. I will also want you to suggest decent B-school around NYC that offer part time programs.

Please my field in Applied Health is not business related. My questions are: Can I survive in Grad B-school? Do I have to take Calculus, Statisttics, Accounting before I go to Grad school? What is the difference between MS-Healthcare Administration and MBA- Healthcare Adm? Which one is good? Which schools around NJ/ NYC can offer me MBA in Healthcare Adm? Which MBA program will suit me?

Hello,
Please help:
I will be 38 this year. I am interested in MBA program but I don\'t know which option to take whether to specialize in Acc, Fin, Health Care Adm, Supply chain, Management, etc. Right now it look like my interest in heading to either Accounting or Health care Adm.

I have a College degree in Applied Health with 3.19 GPA. I graduated 2 yrs ago.

I have about 7 yrs working experience in Healthcare as a Nursing Assistant. Before my graduation, I worked as Nursing Assistant at UMDNJ. Current I am working at UMDNJ as Perioperative Service Associate (PSA) in Operation Room which is unrelated to my field of study in College. I have no experience in management. My dream is to become a manager/ director at my work place in future as an Accountant/ Healthcare manager/director. I am shy, quiet and introvert. I am an average student in Maths and I love working/ playing with numbers.

I am preparing to take the GMAT so I can go Grad B-school next yr. I live in NJ and I am looking for decent B-school that offer part time program so I can keep my job and go to school at the same time.

Friends have suggested these B-school Rutgers, Seton Hall and FDU but both Seton Hall and FDU are private which are expensive. I will also want you to suggest decent B-school around NYC that offer part time programs.

Please my field in Applied Health is not business related. My questions are: Can I survive in Grad B-school? Do I have to take Calculus, Statisttics, Accounting before I go to Grad school? What is the difference between MS-Healthcare Administration and MBA- Healthcare Adm? Which one is good? Which schools around NJ/ NYC can offer me MBA in Healthcare Adm? Which MBA program will suit me?
Duncan

Your friends are recommending some pretty good programmes to you. Don't worry too much about concentrations. Put your zip code into http://business-schools.findthebest.com/ to see the best schools near you, and get into the best school you can: put quality before concentrations. A good quality school will help you to decide whether or how to structure your electives, and employers know its the quality of the school that matters more than a concentration.

You can survive grad school. Since you have a year, it will be wise to take course in statistics and maybe basic algebra, which will help both with the GMAT and the MBA.

Your friends are recommending some pretty good programmes to you. Don't worry too much about concentrations. Put your zip code into http://business-schools.findthebest.com/ to see the best schools near you, and get into the best school you can: put quality before concentrations. A good quality school will help you to decide whether or how to structure your electives, and employers know its the quality of the school that matters more than a concentration.

You can survive grad school. Since you have a year, it will be wise to take course in statistics and maybe basic algebra, which will help both with the GMAT and the MBA.
dewaals

Thank you Duncan. Please I took 3 credits in Statistics, 3 credits in Principles of management, 3 credits in principles of economics and 3 credits in college algebra in college. Please do I need STRONG maths background in MBA program? Please which one is good-MS in Healthcare Administration or MBA in Healthcare Administration? Which sch in NJ/NYC can offer me MBA in Healthcare Administration?
Please which courses will help me if I want to major in Accounting(MBA)?

Thank you Duncan. Please I took 3 credits in Statistics, 3 credits in Principles of management, 3 credits in principles of economics and 3 credits in college algebra in college. Please do I need STRONG maths background in MBA program? Please which one is good-MS in Healthcare Administration or MBA in Healthcare Administration? Which sch in NJ/NYC can offer me MBA in Healthcare Administration?
Please which courses will help me if I want to major in Accounting(MBA)?
Duncan

Use the link I gave you. There are eight part time healthcare MBA degrees in the region. Contact them direct with questions about prerequisite courses. MBA is better than MS.

Use the link I gave you. There are eight part time healthcare MBA degrees in the region. Contact them direct with questions about prerequisite courses. MBA is better than MS.
dewaals

Thank you.

Thank you.
ezra

These are good schools. I'd put Rutgers at the top of the list - they place a substantial proportion of their graduates into bio/pharma/health fields. Also, you should consider NYU Stern - their part-time program is fantastic, there's a biotech/health specialization, and a good network through a student healthcare club.

Keep in mind that you're a bit older than the average cohorts at most of these schools - including NYU and Rutgers - so you should put some thought into how you want to frame your profile in your application essays.

Do I have to take Calculus, Statisttics, Accounting before I go to Grad school?

You should have enough knowledge and skills in order to score well on the quantitive part of the GMAT - that's sort of the baseline level of quant needed to do an MBA. Look at the practice tests to see what kinds of questions are asked, and if you don't feel comfortable with them, then I would consider further quantitative preparation.

<blockquote>Friends have suggested these B-school Rutgers, Seton Hall and FDU but both Seton Hall and FDU are private which are expensive. I will also want you to suggest decent B-school around NYC that offer part time programs.</blockquote>
These are good schools. I'd put Rutgers at the top of the list - they place a substantial proportion of their graduates into bio/pharma/health fields. Also, you should consider NYU Stern - their part-time program is fantastic, there's a biotech/health specialization, and a good network through a student healthcare club.

Keep in mind that you're a bit older than the average cohorts at most of these schools - including NYU and Rutgers - so you should put some thought into how you want to frame your profile in your application essays.

<blockquote>Do I have to take Calculus, Statisttics, Accounting before I go to Grad school?</blockquote>
You should have enough knowledge and skills in order to score well on the quantitive part of the GMAT - that's sort of the baseline level of quant needed to do an MBA. Look at the practice tests to see what kinds of questions are asked, and if you don't feel comfortable with them, then I would consider further quantitative preparation.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Teaneck, New Jersey 4 Followers 3 Discussions
Madison, New Jersey 7 Followers 1 Discussion
Newark, New Jersey 62 Followers 74 Discussions
South Orange, New Jersey 4 Followers 4 Discussions

Other Related Content

Part-Time and Flexible MBA Programs in the New York Area

Article May 24, 2012

How working professionals can pursue MBAs in and around the Big Apple