Harvard/Wharton/Stanford for a European

Hi,

I am from Spain, and planning on doing an MBA. I would like to know if it would be advantageous for me to do my MBA at one of the big programs in the USA: Harvard/Stanford/Wharton, etc.

I work in banking, but I see my options as limited in my country right now. I would like to work in the USA for two or three years after graduation, and then hope that the economy in Spain recovers! (so I can come back.)

Should I consider IESE or ESADE or IE instead?

Hi,

I am from Spain, and planning on doing an MBA. I would like to know if it would be advantageous for me to do my MBA at one of the big programs in the USA: Harvard/Stanford/Wharton, etc.

I work in banking, but I see my options as limited in my country right now. I would like to work in the USA for two or three years after graduation, and then hope that the economy in Spain recovers! (so I can come back.)

Should I consider IESE or ESADE or IE instead?
Duncan

What are your goals? What kind of banking do you do, or want to do?

There is not much chance that the economy in Spain will fully recover in the next four or five years: I think you must know that if you work in banking.

Unless you have US residency, it will be easier for you to work in Europe.

If you want to work in banking in the US, then your priority schools should be Columbia, Stern, and Wharton. Then your next tier is Harvard, Booth, Northwester, Ross, UCLA - I'd also look at Cornell and MIT.

But I think you will find it easier to get a job if you attend somewhere like London Business School, Cass, Warwick, Cranfield, Oxbridge, Manchester, Imperial... and then find work in the UK.

PS Have you considered the UAE or the Far East?

What are your goals? What kind of banking do you do, or want to do?

There is not much chance that the economy in Spain will fully recover in the next four or five years: I think you must know that if you work in banking.

Unless you have US residency, it will be easier for you to work in Europe.

If you want to work in banking in the US, then your priority schools should be Columbia, Stern, and Wharton. Then your next tier is Harvard, Booth, Northwester, Ross, UCLA - I'd also look at Cornell and MIT.

But I think you will find it easier to get a job if you attend somewhere like London Business School, Cass, Warwick, Cranfield, Oxbridge, Manchester, Imperial... and then find work in the UK.

ralph

Good advice from Duncan.

I normally recommend that people study where they want to work, but London Business School is a great option - a large alumni network and high rates of international mobility, with many graduates working both in the US and in continental Europe.

That said, you may want to check with the US schools you're considering - Wharton and Columbia are obvious choices for jobs in banking and finance, and of course Booth and Stern - to see what kind of alumni network they have in Spain.

And if you're waiting for banking to recover in Spain, you may be waiting for a while!

Good advice from Duncan.

I normally recommend that people study where they want to work, but London Business School is a great option - a large alumni network and high rates of international mobility, with many graduates working both in the US and in continental Europe.

That said, you may want to check with the US schools you're considering - Wharton and Columbia are obvious choices for jobs in banking and finance, and of course Booth and Stern - to see what kind of alumni network they have in Spain.

And if you're waiting for banking to recover in Spain, you may be waiting for a while!

Thank you both for your reasonable responses. Yes, I understand that the economy is not going well in Spain - that's one of the main reasons why I want to leave for a while.

Interesting you'd ask that. I'm actually looking at Singapore as a destination right now, because I have colleagues who have transitioned there. Would a school in Singapore be better for a career there? What about INSEAD, which has campuses in France and in Singapore?

I normally recommend that people study where they want to work, but London Business School is a great option

LBS has moved to the top of my "wish list." I hope I can get a good enough GMAT score to get in!

Thank you both for your reasonable responses. Yes, I understand that the economy is not going well in Spain - that's one of the main reasons why I want to leave for a while.

<blockquote>PS Have you considered the UAE or the Far East?</blockquote>
Interesting you'd ask that. I'm actually looking at Singapore as a destination right now, because I have colleagues who have transitioned there. Would a school in Singapore be better for a career there? What about INSEAD, which has campuses in France and in Singapore?

<blockquote>I normally recommend that people study where they want to work, but London Business School is a great option</blockquote>
LBS has moved to the top of my "wish list." I hope I can get a good enough GMAT score to get in!
Duncan

Yes, INSEAD and NUS are strong; even NTU and SMU have good placement.

LBS is great and, in comparison with the top US schools, great value. Aim for 700.

Yes, INSEAD and NUS are strong; even NTU and SMU have good placement.

LBS is great and, in comparison with the top US schools, great value. Aim for 700.

Great, thanks!

Now to prepare for my GMAT...

Great, thanks!

Now to prepare for my GMAT...

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Stanford, California 96 Followers 171 Discussions
Boston, Massachusetts 85 Followers 204 Discussions
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 67 Followers 172 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

MBA School Choice: Wharton Vs. Booth

Article Aug 15, 2018

Both business schools are highly ranked and feature strong placements in the financial services sector. But the culture and career destinations of Wharton and Booth students vary, sometimes widely

Related MBA Specializations

Hot Discussions