gmat 660 ...please help

sakshiu20

Hi i have given gmat thrice
ist attempt - 580
2nd attaempt - 660
3rd attempt - 660 again

I am an IT engineer with 2.5 work experience. I have also worked outside india(in istanbul) for 3 months.Please suggest some schools (safe and competetive ) that i can apply to. I am looking for a good marketing/consultancy or brand management program. My preferred countries are US,london,canada and europe(excluding italy,germany, portugal,spain)

Hi i have given gmat thrice
ist attempt - 580
2nd attaempt - 660
3rd attempt - 660 again

I am an IT engineer with 2.5 work experience. I have also worked outside india(in istanbul) for 3 months.Please suggest some schools (safe and competetive ) that i can apply to. I am looking for a good marketing/consultancy or brand management program. My preferred countries are US,london,canada and europe(excluding italy,germany, portugal,spain)
Duncan

How about:

Durham Business School
EM Lyon Business School
Lancaster University Management School
Manchester Business School
Pepperdine University: Graziadio.

These are all FT ranked MBAs where the average work experience, and GMAT, of students is similar to yours. They are all strong schools with serious marketing teams (EM Lyon has been especially strong for services marketing).

If you were interested in other countries, I would also recommend Eada and the SP Jain Center of Management.

How about:

Durham Business School
EM Lyon Business School
Lancaster University Management School
Manchester Business School
Pepperdine University: Graziadio.

These are all FT ranked MBAs where the average work experience, and GMAT, of students is similar to yours. They are all strong schools with serious marketing teams (EM Lyon has been especially strong for services marketing).

If you were interested in other countries, I would also recommend Eada and the SP Jain Center of Management.

sakshiu20

Hi duncan

thanks for the quick reply....
I am also looking for scholarships.... If i can get some tuition waived then it would be really great. Do these school have good scholarship programs? Can u suggest some schools with good scholrships as well (one in which i have a good chance)... Also i went through ISSEC internation business school, their brand luxury management mba looks tempting... what iare your thoughts on ISSEC?

I am applying to Maryland smith... do u think i have a good chance there?

Other schools that i had lined up are
Cass business school
rotman
USC - marshall
lancaster
smurfit - ireland

Hi duncan

thanks for the quick reply....
I am also looking for scholarships.... If i can get some tuition waived then it would be really great. Do these school have good scholarship programs? Can u suggest some schools with good scholrships as well (one in which i have a good chance)... Also i went through ISSEC internation business school, their brand luxury management mba looks tempting... what iare your thoughts on ISSEC?

I am applying to Maryland smith... do u think i have a good chance there?

Other schools that i had lined up are
Cass business school
rotman
USC - marshall
lancaster
smurfit - ireland

maubia

em lyon offers a 20% discount for early application

em lyon offers a 20% discount for early application
Duncan

To get an MBA scholarship from a school, you'd normally need to be much better than it's average applicant: more work experience; higher GMAT; better transcripts; add more diversity....

I don't think you'd be a competitive candidate for a scholarship at any of the schools we've mentioned. And most scholarships in Europe are partial, just covering 20% or so of the fees.

So to get a scholarship you'd have to shift your focus away from the UK (because there's a huge supply of students wanting to come here, and we have state universities without major scholarship funds for MBAs). I think you'd also need to get more work experience and develop extra-curricular activities to give yourself more leadership skills and distinctiveness.

And, generally, it's expensive, private schools which have larger scholarship funds. So I would focus on second and third tier private US universities with a low percentage of international students.

PS ESSEC is a great school. An Indian friend of mine is in their luxury MBA; she had a really strong application. She also mentioned that there are some scholarships there.

To get an MBA scholarship from a school, you'd normally need to be much better than it's average applicant: more work experience; higher GMAT; better transcripts; add more diversity....

I don't think you'd be a competitive candidate for a scholarship at any of the schools we've mentioned. And most scholarships in Europe are partial, just covering 20% or so of the fees.

So to get a scholarship you'd have to shift your focus away from the UK (because there's a huge supply of students wanting to come here, and we have state universities without major scholarship funds for MBAs). I think you'd also need to get more work experience and develop extra-curricular activities to give yourself more leadership skills and distinctiveness.

And, generally, it's expensive, private schools which have larger scholarship funds. So I would focus on second and third tier private US universities with a low percentage of international students.

PS ESSEC is a great school. An Indian friend of mine is in their luxury MBA; she had a really strong application. She also mentioned that there are some scholarships there.

atul1410

Hi Duncan,
I got a GMAT 660(qa 49,va 31,2nd attempt) and have 3.5 years of experience as a business analyst and 1 year as a consultant to overseas client.
I have been running an NGO for the past 3 years which has enrolled over 1000 students.
My acads have been constant at around 75 % throughout.
Till now I have applied only to ISB.
I am very confused about weather I should apply with this score or write GMAT again.
I am looking at 1 year courses,specially the ones in Asia.
Can you please help me with the same.

Thanks,
Atul

Hi Duncan,
I got a GMAT 660(qa 49,va 31,2nd attempt) and have 3.5 years of experience as a business analyst and 1 year as a consultant to overseas client.
I have been running an NGO for the past 3 years which has enrolled over 1000 students.
My acads have been constant at around 75 % throughout.
Till now I have applied only to ISB.
I am very confused about weather I should apply with this score or write GMAT again.
I am looking at 1 year courses,specially the ones in Asia.
Can you please help me with the same.

Thanks,
Atul
Duncan

I think you'd have much more choice if you looked at 2 year programmes. Which schools have you looked at already?

I think you'd have much more choice if you looked at 2 year programmes. Which schools have you looked at already?
atul1410

Hi,
I am looking at ISB,CIEBS,NUS,NANYANG.
Can you suggest,looking at my profile,I can give it a shot with 660 GMAT score?
2 year MBA in US will cost me a lot and considering the fear of market slowdown,my appetite of that risk a little less.

Thanks,
Atul

Hi,
I am looking at ISB,CIEBS,NUS,NANYANG.
Can you suggest,looking at my profile,I can give it a shot with 660 GMAT score?
2 year MBA in US will cost me a lot and considering the fear of market slowdown,my appetite of that risk a little less.

Thanks,
Atul
Duncan

Well, I think HKUST, CEIBS, Nanyang and NUS are all within your reach. ISB will be very hard for you. I'd also look at Kaist College of Business and the AIM in Manilla.

Well, I think HKUST, CEIBS, Nanyang and NUS are all within your reach. ISB will be very hard for you. I'd also look at Kaist College of Business and the AIM in Manilla.
atul1410

Thanks Duncan,
Yes even it seems to me the same.
However,I think it will not be so easy to get into ciebs and NUS.
Kaist College and AIM in Manila--- I dint find them that good.

Is there any other college in Europe which you think,I can apply to with fair chances?

Thanks,
Atul

Thanks Duncan,
Yes even it seems to me the same.
However,I think it will not be so easy to get into ciebs and NUS.
Kaist College and AIM in Manila--- I dint find them that good.

Is there any other college in Europe which you think,I can apply to with fair chances?

Thanks,
Atul
Duncan

How about the schools I listed above on Wednesday? With NUS and CIEBS I you would need strong applications but, while they are stretch schools, you should consider them.

Why didn't you like Kaist or AIM?

How about the schools I listed above on Wednesday? With NUS and CIEBS I you would need strong applications but, while they are stretch schools, you should consider them.

Why didn't you like Kaist or AIM?
atul1410

Hi Duncan,

For AIM and Kaist- I have read blogs of people not having jobs even 6 months after MBA.They do not even figure in the top 100 B Schools of the world.Also,the value of money is not good.

For the colleges,you mentioned above on Wednesday,I
am not too impressed by their previous records and career advancement status.
I feel,I deserve better than that.

Thanks,
Atul

Hi Duncan,

For AIM and Kaist- I have read blogs of people not having jobs even 6 months after MBA.They do not even figure in the top 100 B Schools of the world.Also,the value of money is not good.

For the colleges,you mentioned above on Wednesday,I
am not too impressed by their previous records and career advancement status.
I feel,I deserve better than that.

Thanks,
Atul
Duncan

In that case you will need to improve your GMAT. If you really want certainty of placement, then stay in India.

In that case you will need to improve your GMAT. If you really want certainty of placement, then stay in India.
sakshiu20

Hi Duncan

Sorry , couldnt reply any sooner, was buried under work.
Can u tell me if i have chance of getting in schools i had lined up for admission... even without scholarship? I have already applied to ESSEC in paris and thinking about the rest. I think i am too late for em lyon application.I forgot to tell u that i am even applying for full time mba program as n ot all schools have brand management programs. Please suggest school within my range for a full time mba programs also.

Hi Duncan

Sorry , couldnt reply any sooner, was buried under work.
Can u tell me if i have chance of getting in schools i had lined up for admission... even without scholarship? I have already applied to ESSEC in paris and thinking about the rest. I think i am too late for em lyon application.I forgot to tell u that i am even applying for full time mba program as n ot all schools have brand management programs. Please suggest school within my range for a full time mba programs also.
Duncan

For other suggestions, see my initial reply on the 7th in terms of the schools you had originally targeted, I think they are all a stretch for you but with a strong application anything is possible. I do not think you can be too late for Lyon.

For other suggestions, see my initial reply on the 7th in terms of the schools you had originally targeted, I think they are all a stretch for you but with a strong application anything is possible. I do not think you can be too late for Lyon.
sakshiu20

Hi Duncan

I checked all the schools that you had mentioned in the previous mail. They all are in london. Can u please suggest some schools that are within my reach in US, Europe, Canada or Singapore? I just got my toefl score. I got 112 out of 120. Is that going to help me in my profile? What else can i do to make my application strong?

Hi Duncan

I checked all the schools that you had mentioned in the previous mail. They all are in london. Can u please suggest some schools that are within my reach in US, Europe, Canada or Singapore? I just got my toefl score. I got 112 out of 120. Is that going to help me in my profile? What else can i do to make my application strong?
Duncan

Actually none of those schools are in London. Take a closer look at my suggestions in this thread. Lyon is certainly in France. Pepperdine is in the US. SP Jain is in Singapore.

Actually none of those schools are in London. Take a closer look at my suggestions in this thread. Lyon is certainly in France. Pepperdine is in the US. SP Jain is in Singapore.
AshishM

Hi,
I am looking for taking GMAT for MBA in Singapore (NUS or NTU).
What is the average GMAT score required for NUS and NTU.
My profile:
Work Ex: 3.7 years of experience in product based company in India.
Engineering: NIT Rourkela, Electronics (considered to be well reputed college in India) with 85.8%
12th: 80.6%
10th: 87.0
Ex-curricular: Decent/Average in both Corporate and College level

Do i need to provide more details for getting a rough idea about the score. Please suggest.

Ashish

Hi,
My profile:
Engineering: NIT Rourkela, Electronics (considered to be well reputed college in India) with 85.8%

Do i need to provide more details for getting a rough idea about the score. Please suggest.

Ashish
Duncan

Just ask them, or try Google.

Just ask them, or try Google.
ezra

You're going to want to score at least 660 to be considered.

Although since there are many people looking to get into those schools with similar profiles as you, you should aim for 690 to 700 to make yourself stand out.

Hi,
My profile:

Ashish

You're going to want to score at least 660 to be considered.

Although since there are many people looking to get into those schools with similar profiles as you, you should aim for 690 to 700 to make yourself stand out.

<blockquote>Hi,
My profile:

Ashish</blockquote>

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Los Angeles, California 103 Followers 120 Discussions
Hyderabad, India 22 Followers 86 Discussions
Durham, United Kingdom 74 Followers 400 Discussions
Full Profile
Ecully, France 55 Followers 141 Discussions
Full Profile
Cergy-Pontoise, France 41 Followers 185 Discussions
Makati City, Philippines 11 Followers 19 Discussions
Dublin, Ireland 35 Followers 133 Discussions