EMBA or Online MBA

More Online MBA discussions at FIND MBA Online
PrineJ1

I'm trying to decide which route to take, an EMBA or an executive MBA. I have 9 years of work experience, which I gather is about the right amount for either an EMBA or an online program. I've researched UNC's program, and some others like ASU Carey and Northeastern, but it seems like they usually require the GMAT. Is this common? I'd rather not take it, frankly.

The EMBA program at UT Knoxville doesn't require the GMAT if one has a graduate degree (I do.) I'm leaning towards this program for this reason, as well as the fact that it's close by for me.

Any thoughts from the crowd? I'm interested in hearing about how EMBA programs are preferable to online MBAs, or vice-versa. Alternatives would be appreciated as well!

I'm trying to decide which route to take, an EMBA or an executive MBA. I have 9 years of work experience, which I gather is about the right amount for either an EMBA or an online program. I've researched UNC's program, and some others like ASU Carey and Northeastern, but it seems like they usually require the GMAT. Is this common? I'd rather not take it, frankly.

The EMBA program at UT Knoxville doesn't require the GMAT if one has a graduate degree (I do.) I'm leaning towards this program for this reason, as well as the fact that it's close by for me.

Any thoughts from the crowd? I'm interested in hearing about how EMBA programs are preferable to online MBAs, or vice-versa. Alternatives would be appreciated as well!
Duncan

Take a look at Why you should take the GMAT http://www.find-mba.com/board/38939

I don't know why you want to take an MBA; if you're not up for the GMAT, are you really up for the effort of an MBA? If you are, when why would you not want to get into the best program possible? If you search this site and others there's lots written comparing online and EMBA degrees. There's not much to add. I'd choose an EMBA over an online MBA, other things being equal.

Take a look at Why you should take the GMAT http://www.find-mba.com/board/38939

I don't know why you want to take an MBA; if you're not up for the GMAT, are you really up for the effort of an MBA? If you are, when why would you not want to get into the best program possible? If you search this site and others there's lots written comparing online and EMBA degrees. There's not much to add. I'd choose an EMBA over an online MBA, other things being equal.
nikhil88

Hi, I am an electrical engineer and I shifted from India to Dubai in 2008 in search of better job opportunities. Since then I have been working in Aker Solutions as a senior manager. But since the past one year many of my colleagues have been promoted but I till date haven’t been promoted. One of my friends pointed out that my colleagues who have been promoted all of them had pursued their MBA but I have not. Hence I now feel the need to pursue an MBA program to get promoted in the future. But I am at a very critical phase of my career right now. I cannot afford to quit my job hence I was planning to do an online MBA. Can someone please suggest if I should go ahead with doing an online MBA or should I consider doing EMBA?

Hi, I am an electrical engineer and I shifted from India to Dubai in 2008 in search of better job opportunities. Since then I have been working in Aker Solutions as a senior manager. But since the past one year many of my colleagues have been promoted but I till date haven’t been promoted. One of my friends pointed out that my colleagues who have been promoted all of them had pursued their MBA but I have not. Hence I now feel the need to pursue an MBA program to get promoted in the future. But I am at a very critical phase of my career right now. I cannot afford to quit my job hence I was planning to do an online MBA. Can someone please suggest if I should go ahead with doing an online MBA or should I consider doing EMBA?
Edumentor

I have been an education consultant since more than a decade and I can tell you with my experience that doing an EMBA is a much better option than doing an online MBA. Let me tell you why I am saying so. First of all, there is a lack of face to face interaction in virtual learning. Moreover, you might face a lot of distractions while pursuing a program online. Also solving doubts gets very difficult in online MBA.

Regards,
Ajit Iyer
Edumentor

[Edited by Edumentor on Nov 07, 2014]

I have been an education consultant since more than a decade and I can tell you with my experience that doing an EMBA is a much better option than doing an online MBA. Let me tell you why I am saying so. First of all, there is a lack of face to face interaction in virtual learning. Moreover, you might face a lot of distractions while pursuing a program online. Also solving doubts gets very difficult in online MBA.

Regards,
Ajit Iyer
Edumentor
nikhil88

Okay, but what are the pros of taking up EMBA? Moreover I don’t want to quit my job at this stage.

Okay, but what are the pros of taking up EMBA? Moreover I don’t want to quit my job at this stage.
Edumentor

You don’t have to quit your job. EMBA is part time program designed for managers like you. EMBA is only for people with more than 5 years of work experience and hence you would be perfect for it. Moreover, students like you will be able to understand the concepts much better as you already understand the industry trends and also there will be face to face interaction with the professor. The best part about this program is that you can keep on practically applying what you learn as it is a part time program and hence this program would be any day better for you than an online MBA.

Regards,
Ajit Iyer
Edumentor

You don’t have to quit your job. EMBA is part time program designed for managers like you. EMBA is only for people with more than 5 years of work experience and hence you would be perfect for it. Moreover, students like you will be able to understand the concepts much better as you already understand the industry trends and also there will be face to face interaction with the professor. The best part about this program is that you can keep on practically applying what you learn as it is a part time program and hence this program would be any day better for you than an online MBA.

Regards,
Ajit Iyer
Edumentor
nikhil88

Sir, can you please suggest me some good EMBA colleges in Dubai?

Sir, can you please suggest me some good EMBA colleges in Dubai?
Edumentor

According to me Hult and Bradford have one of the finest EMBA programs in Dubai.

Regards,
Ajit Iyer
Edumentor

According to me Hult and Bradford have one of the finest EMBA programs in Dubai.

Regards,
Ajit Iyer
Edumentor
nikhil88

Sir, thank you so much for your expert advice.

Sir, thank you so much for your expert advice.
Edumentor

You’re welcome! All the best.

You’re welcome! All the best.
Duncan

Hult and Bradford don't have one programme; they are separate. Cass, London and SP Jain business sachools also have well-respoected EMBAs there.

Hult and Bradford don't have one programme; they are separate. Cass, London and SP Jain business sachools also have well-respoected EMBAs there.
sts

Depends on the program and the school, as well as the candidate profile. In some cases, online learning platforms enable much more effective interaction with peers and professors, since it is independent of time and location constraints mostly. Moreover, if the program allows optional campus visits for face-to-face discussions, then I see no need to rule them out on the grounds of lack of adequate interaction. In this century, people generally interact with each other online much more than they do face-to-face, just like we also do on this forum.

Regards,

[quote]Okay, but what are the pros of taking up EMBA? Moreover I don’t want to quit my job at this stage.[/quote]

Depends on the program and the school, as well as the candidate profile. In some cases, online learning platforms enable much more effective interaction with peers and professors, since it is independent of time and location constraints mostly. Moreover, if the program allows optional campus visits for face-to-face discussions, then I see no need to rule them out on the grounds of lack of adequate interaction. In this century, people generally interact with each other online much more than they do face-to-face, just like we also do on this forum.

Regards,
Mamit

A lot that one learns in an MBA is through peers who have cross industry exposure and share their industry knowledge and expertise with you so it is always better to choose a classroom program over an online MBA. I believe you can check out Hult, Bradford, Cass, & London Business School.

A lot that one learns in an MBA is through peers who have cross industry exposure and share their industry knowledge and expertise with you so it is always better to choose a classroom program over an online MBA. I believe you can check out Hult, Bradford, Cass, & London Business School.
sts

Interaction does not necessarily need to be face-to-face today. World is going online and higher education is no exception. That said, face-to-face is fine, of course, however it is not the primary discriminating factor when deciding between the programmes, in my opinion.

[quote]A lot that one learns in an MBA is through peers who have cross industry exposure and share their industry knowledge and expertise with you so it is always better to choose a classroom program over an online MBA. I believe you can check out Hult, Bradford, Cass, & London Business School.[/quote]

Interaction does not necessarily need to be face-to-face today. World is going online and higher education is no exception. That said, face-to-face is fine, of course, however it is not the primary discriminating factor when deciding between the programmes, in my opinion.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Tempe, Arizona 26 Followers 65 Discussions
Boston, Massachusetts 27 Followers 31 Discussions
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 37 Followers 76 Discussions
Knoxville, Tennessee 17 Followers 31 Discussions

Other Related Content

Traditional MBA or Executive MBA Program?

Article Jun 20, 2011

An EMBA program is more than "an MBA without the kids," but an experienced cohort does make a difference.

Hot Discussions