B-School -> Wall Street in 2013

I want to work in Wall Street - in a firm like Goldman, JPMorgan, Blackstone, etc.

What business schools should I look at? I had assumed NYU and Columbia, but then somebody told me about Chicago? Can you do an MBA in Chicago and then go to Wall Street afterwards?

My stats:

25/Male/British
3 years work experience (corporate analyst)
Expected GMAT score: 720

I want to work in Wall Street - in a firm like Goldman, JPMorgan, Blackstone, etc.

What business schools should I look at? I had assumed NYU and Columbia, but then somebody told me about Chicago? Can you do an MBA in Chicago and then go to Wall Street afterwards?

My stats:

25/Male/British
3 years work experience (corporate analyst)
Expected GMAT score: 720
Duncan

Yes you can, but Columbia and Stern are much easier routes. Booth and Wharton are also worth considering.

Yes you can, but Columbia and Stern are much easier routes. Booth and Wharton are also worth considering.

That sounds reasonable. For the Stern program, would you recommend doing one of their finance specializations - I see one in "Financial Instruments and Markets" that looks fairly relevant.

That sounds reasonable. For the Stern program, would you recommend doing one of their finance specializations - I see one in "Financial Instruments and Markets" that looks fairly relevant.
Duncan

Sounds wise.

Sounds wise.
Inactive User

It's not really clear-cut. Look at the firms you are targeting and see where their people do their MBAs. For instance, this isn't a scientific study but I looked at a bunch of NYC-based senior managing directors and department leads at various Blackstone operations and found this breakdown of which business schools they went to:

No MBA: 28
Harvard: 13
Wharton: 6
Columbia: 4
Stern: 4
Kellogg: 4
Booth: 3
Georgetown: 2
Pace Lubin: 1
USC: 1
Wisconsin: 1
Stanford: 1
Rutgers: 1
UCLA: 1
MIT Sloan: 1
Arizona - Eller: 1

It's not really clear-cut. Look at the firms you are targeting and see where their people do their MBAs. For instance, this isn't a scientific study but I looked at a bunch of NYC-based senior managing directors and department leads at various Blackstone operations and found this breakdown of which business schools they went to:

No MBA: 28
Harvard: 13
Wharton: 6
Columbia: 4
Stern: 4
Kellogg: 4
Booth: 3
Georgetown: 2
Pace Lubin: 1
USC: 1
Wisconsin: 1
Stanford: 1
Rutgers: 1
UCLA: 1
MIT Sloan: 1
Arizona - Eller: 1

This is very helpful, thanks!

Harvard seems like a pretty safe bet, at least for this firm. I'm actually surprised at the percentage who don't have an MBA!

This is very helpful, thanks!

Harvard seems like a pretty safe bet, at least for this firm. I'm actually surprised at the percentage who don't have an MBA!

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Los Angeles, California 89 Followers 147 Discussions
Madison, Wisconsin 21 Followers 46 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 53 Followers 175 Discussions
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 67 Followers 172 Discussions
Boston, Massachusetts 85 Followers 204 Discussions
Tucson, Arizona 6 Followers 18 Discussions
New York City, New York 177 Followers 249 Discussions
New York City, New York 43 Followers 41 Discussions
New York City, New York 158 Followers 259 Discussions
Chicago, Illinois 42 Followers 149 Discussions