B-school for a 640 student

custard

Hi,

Hope you all have a great day. I just took a gmat test and scored 640 (60 points lower than my prep test at home). I am looking for an MBA (with some financial support from the U.S) My interested list includes

-TCU Neeley
-Northeaster Boston
-Peperdine CA

I am having 20k for saving, 3 years of experience in sale and training, 3.26 GPA , good recommendation and some leadership in extracurricular activities.

I am seeking for an MBA in marketing. Now 640 is such a low score so I do not know if i should wait for another year to apply. Should I still apply while retake the test when ad com review my application? What other school i should consider (i prefer schools in NC, CA or TX since I have some connection overthere for job after graduation)

Please advice!

Thank you.

Hi,

Hope you all have a great day. I just took a gmat test and scored 640 (60 points lower than my prep test at home). I am looking for an MBA (with some financial support from the U.S) My interested list includes

-TCU Neeley
-Northeaster Boston
-Peperdine CA

I am having 20k for saving, 3 years of experience in sale and training, 3.26 GPA , good recommendation and some leadership in extracurricular activities.

I am seeking for an MBA in marketing. Now 640 is such a low score so I do not know if i should wait for another year to apply. Should I still apply while retake the test when ad com review my application? What other school i should consider (i prefer schools in NC, CA or TX since I have some connection overthere for job after graduation)

Please advice!

Thank you.
custard

Any one passing by please give me some suggestion. Thank you.

Any one passing by please give me some suggestion. Thank you.
Duncan

You'll need a much better score to get a scholarship. And, remember, most scholarships will not cover most of your tuition, let along your living costs. Take the rest of the year to study, save and research schools in depth.

Both your GMAT and your work experience are less than the averages at TCU, and Northeastern. That means your not a certain admit at any of those schools, and scholarships seems unlikely. TCU is certainly the easier school.

Are you an Indian? (You write "seeking for" so I guess you speak Hindi or Spanish). If so, you are part of a large and very competitive group of applicants who are rather hard to place, and tend to have below average work experience. You should expect to have a GMAT score 30 or 40 points above the averages at US schools you will be admitted at.

If you cannot improve your GMAT, I suggest you look at:
University of Houston (Bauer) (TX)
University of Cincinnati (OH)
University of California--Irvine (Merage) (CA)
North Carolina State University (Jenkins)
Texas A&M International University (TX)
Brandeis University (MA)

You'll need a much better score to get a scholarship. And, remember, most scholarships will not cover most of your tuition, let along your living costs. Take the rest of the year to study, save and research schools in depth.

Both your GMAT and your work experience are less than the averages at TCU, and Northeastern. That means your not a certain admit at any of those schools, and scholarships seems unlikely. TCU is certainly the easier school.

Are you an Indian? (You write "seeking for" so I guess you speak Hindi or Spanish). If so, you are part of a large and very competitive group of applicants who are rather hard to place, and tend to have below average work experience. You should expect to have a GMAT score 30 or 40 points above the averages at US schools you will be admitted at.

If you cannot improve your GMAT, I suggest you look at:
University of Houston (Bauer) (TX)
University of Cincinnati (OH)
University of California--Irvine (Merage) (CA)
North Carolina State University (Jenkins)
Texas A&M International University (TX)
Brandeis University (MA)
custard

Thank you for your response. No I am actually not Indian or Chinese but I am Asian.

UCI has the average GMAT of 660 so I assume mine wont be as competitive.

I am surprised at what you said about TCU because its average Gmat is even less than that of UCI.

Both average Gmat at Northeastern and TCU are 640 and I do agree that miy profile is not enough for scholarship.

How about Cal state schools? Is there any decent school that might be withing my reach? Thank you.

Thank you for your response. No I am actually not Indian or Chinese but I am Asian.

UCI has the average GMAT of 660 so I assume mine wont be as competitive.

I am surprised at what you said about TCU because its average Gmat is even less than that of UCI.

Both average Gmat at Northeastern and TCU are 640 and I do agree that miy profile is not enough for scholarship.

How about Cal state schools? Is there any decent school that might be withing my reach? Thank you.
Duncan

Take a look at:
San Jose State University (Lucas) (CA)
Sonoma State University (CA)
San Francisco State University (CA)
San Diego State University (CA)
University of San Francisco (Masagung) (CA)
California State University--San Bernardino (CA)
California State University--Northridge (CA)
California State University--Fullerton (Mihaylo) (CA)
California State University--Chico (CA)
University of the Pacific (Eberhardt) (CA)

Take a look at:
San Jose State University (Lucas) (CA)
Sonoma State University (CA)
San Francisco State University (CA)
San Diego State University (CA)
University of San Francisco (Masagung) (CA)
California State University--San Bernardino (CA)
California State University--Northridge (CA)
California State University--Fullerton (Mihaylo) (CA)
California State University--Chico (CA)
University of the Pacific (Eberhardt) (CA)
Inactive User

Hello,
I have got a 640 GMAT score. But my full-time work experience is 6 months and continuing ( as a independent working insurance agent). I am going to apply in FALL 2013, so till then my work experience will be of one year. I am confused to apply for which B-schools due to less work experience.Please reply asap.

Hello,
I have got a 640 GMAT score. But my full-time work experience is 6 months and continuing ( as a independent working insurance agent). I am going to apply in FALL 2013, so till then my work experience will be of one year. I am confused to apply for which B-schools due to less work experience.Please reply asap.
Duncan

I suggest people reply to you at http://www.find-mba.com/board/32271

I suggest people reply to you at http://www.find-mba.com/board/32271
custard

Another question regarding this matter: with 3 yrs of experience should I apply to an MS? There is certainly a cost benefit but I am not sure what other offsets might be. Thank you.

Another question regarding this matter: with 3 yrs of experience should I apply to an MS? There is certainly a cost benefit but I am not sure what other offsets might be. Thank you.
Duncan

If your focus is the US, then an MBA will cost the same per semester and give you better outcomes.

If your focus is the US, then an MBA will cost the same per semester and give you better outcomes.

I saw that you mentioned Northeastern as one of the schools you are interested in. Another great school that offers MBAs in the Boston area is Babson College. You should look into their programs as an additional option in your search....best of luck!

I saw that you mentioned Northeastern as one of the schools you are interested in. Another great school that offers MBAs in the Boston area is Babson College. You should look into their programs as an additional option in your search....best of luck!
Inactive User

Babson's good, but a little more expensive than Northeastern.

I think that in terms of this candidate's work experience though - Northeastern is probably the more appropriate choice.

Babson's good, but a little more expensive than Northeastern.

I think that in terms of this candidate's work experience though - Northeastern is probably the more appropriate choice.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Los Angeles, California 45 Followers 47 Discussions
Fort Worth, Texas 4 Followers 6 Discussions
Laredo, Texas 3 Followers 10 Discussions
Cincinnati, Ohio 3 Followers 27 Discussions
Raleigh, North Carolina 18 Followers 25 Discussions
Waltham, Massachusetts 6 Followers 15 Discussions
Boston, Massachusetts 27 Followers 31 Discussions
San Bernardino, California 26 Followers 18 Discussions
Northridge, California 6 Followers 6 Discussions
Chico, California 4 Followers 4 Discussions
Fullerton, California 15 Followers 24 Discussions
San Francisco, California 23 Followers 15 Discussions
San Diego, California 41 Followers 29 Discussions
Irvine, California 41 Followers 40 Discussions
Houston, Texas 25 Followers 16 Discussions
San Francisco, California 44 Followers 9 Discussions
Sacramento, California 3 Followers 3 Discussions
Rohnert Park, California 2 Followers 3 Discussions

Other Related Content

Top 10 MBA Progams for a 640 GMAT Score

Top List

If you’ve scored 640 on the GMAT, by many indications, you have done well. A 640 on the GMAT means that you have outscored the majority of test-takers, coming in at the 68th percentile. This bodes well if you are interested in applying to a decent MBA program.

Hot Discussions