Any recommendations?

Dabus

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for my situation. I'm 27 and have a BA and JD, both from second tier colleges. My undergrad GPA was a 3.4, and my law school GPA was a 3.0. I passed several bar exams and have been practicing as an attorney for a small corporation for about 1.5 years. My GMAT is a 580 but I plan on retaking it.

I'm don't have any preferences about where I attend geographically, but I just want to go somewhere solid that will give me decent job prospects when I graduate.

Schools I've been considering:

Penn State (Smeal)
University of Washington
University of Connecticut
Boston University
Boston College
George Washington
University of Colorado (which is where I went for undergrad)
University of Oregon
University of Michigan (I know this is a big stretch, and I don't know if it helps, but my Dad went to their law school, and my uncle got his MBA there)

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for my situation. I'm 27 and have a BA and JD, both from second tier colleges. My undergrad GPA was a 3.4, and my law school GPA was a 3.0. I passed several bar exams and have been practicing as an attorney for a small corporation for about 1.5 years. My GMAT is a 580 but I plan on retaking it.

I'm don't have any preferences about where I attend geographically, but I just want to go somewhere solid that will give me decent job prospects when I graduate.

Schools I've been considering:

Penn State (Smeal)
University of Washington
University of Connecticut
Boston University
Boston College
George Washington
University of Colorado (which is where I went for undergrad)
University of Oregon
University of Michigan (I know this is a big stretch, and I don't know if it helps, but my Dad went to their law school, and my uncle got his MBA there)

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

adub

Since you have over 300 views and no responses, I'll throw in my opinion.

I have done quite a bit of recruiting/hiring for executive positions, so my perspective is an objective one if not completely informed concerning your situation. First, I would do my best to hone in on a particular area of concentration-- finance, HR, strategic leadership, etc.-- and find a school that offers what you need. Second, worry less about reputation and more about what you really intend to do with your degree. Honestly, we are concerned much less with the school from which you are graduating (all of the above schools represent a quality education) than the total package you represent as a potential leader within the corporation.

With all this in mind, decide as best you can what it is you want to accomplish with your MBA and plan backwards. Target the kind of company you'd like to work for and the type of function you'd like to perform and pick a set of schools to that will help you get there. I see too many candidates that assume the name of their school will get them a job-- big mistake. Have a plan, follow it, then sell yourself and the plan on the other side of your MBA.

Hopefully, this is helpful for you or anyone else who reads this thread. (As a side note, I wouldn't sweat going to Michigan unless you're married to living in the Midwest. I think you'll find that most schools carry a regional aura of importance, if any at all.)

Since you have over 300 views and no responses, I'll throw in my opinion.

I have done quite a bit of recruiting/hiring for executive positions, so my perspective is an objective one if not completely informed concerning your situation. First, I would do my best to hone in on a particular area of concentration-- finance, HR, strategic leadership, etc.-- and find a school that offers what you need. Second, worry less about reputation and more about what you really intend to do with your degree. Honestly, we are concerned much less with the school from which you are graduating (all of the above schools represent a quality education) than the total package you represent as a potential leader within the corporation.

With all this in mind, decide as best you can what it is you want to accomplish with your MBA and plan backwards. Target the kind of company you'd like to work for and the type of function you'd like to perform and pick a set of schools to that will help you get there. I see too many candidates that assume the name of their school will get them a job-- big mistake. Have a plan, follow it, then sell yourself and the plan on the other side of your MBA.

Hopefully, this is helpful for you or anyone else who reads this thread. (As a side note, I wouldn't sweat going to Michigan unless you're married to living in the Midwest. I think you'll find that most schools carry a regional aura of importance, if any at all.)

I would strongly recommend Bentley University among other MBA Program schools. Bentley is very well known, for its graduate business programs, including its full-time and part-time. Bentley has received high rankings, is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, and is one of the nation?s leading business schools. Check out their rankings and curriculum on their website.

I would strongly recommend Bentley University among other MBA Program schools. Bentley is very well known, for its graduate business programs, including its full-time and part-time. Bentley has received high rankings, is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, and is one of the nation?s leading business schools. Check out their rankings and curriculum on their website.
Alain

Bentley has received high rankings, is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, and is one of the nation?s leading business schools.

I personally don't think Bentley is "one of the nation?s leading business schools" (ranked 73 by US News), but it's accredited by AASCB: https://www.aacsb.net/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=AACSB&WebKey=ED088FF2-979E-48C6-B104-33768F1DE01D

<blockquote>Bentley has received high rankings, is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, and is one of the nation?s leading business schools. </blockquote>

I personally don't think Bentley is "one of the nation?s leading business schools" (ranked 73 by US News), but it's accredited by AASCB: https://www.aacsb.net/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=AACSB&WebKey=ED088FF2-979E-48C6-B104-33768F1DE01D

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Washington, District of Columbia 37 Followers 64 Discussions
Tacoma, Washington 3 Followers 3 Discussions
Dearborn, Michigan 6 Followers 9 Discussions
Flint, Michigan 3 Followers 4 Discussions
Waltham, Massachusetts 7 Followers 17 Discussions
Storrs, Connecticut 5 Followers 15 Discussions
Colorado Springs, Colorado 5 Followers 4 Discussions
Denver, Colorado 15 Followers 13 Discussions
Boulder, Colorado 15 Followers 16 Discussions
Eugene, Oregon 7 Followers 9 Discussions