Affordable MBA

tnamakola

I want to do an MBA in the US. This I know will be a good opportunity of having an international perspective in my professional growth. Unfortunately, most American MBA programs a very expensive. Is there any college which offers a good and yet affordable program

I want to do an MBA in the US. This I know will be a good opportunity of having an international perspective in my professional growth. Unfortunately, most American MBA programs a very expensive. Is there any college which offers a good and yet affordable program
Inactive User

Where are you based? Perhaps you can look at a local program? You can also take out loans and pay them off over time.

<blockquote>I want to do an MBA in the US. This I know will be a good opportunity of having an international perspective in my professional growth. Unfortunately, most American MBA programs a very expensive. Is there any college which offers a good and yet affordable program</blockquote>

Where are you based? Perhaps you can look at a local program? You can also take out loans and pay them off over time.
raulchebat

An MBA is really an expensive undertaking, especially in the United States, but there are a lot of scholarships and loan opportunities.. Just search online.. Good luck.

An MBA is really an expensive undertaking, especially in the United States, but there are a lot of scholarships and loan opportunities.. Just search online.. Good luck.
sally

State schools generally skew slightly less than private schools that are in their same league .. but they can still be really expensive. (Obviously if you go to a public school in the state you live in you can also shave off another few thousand bucks.)

The cheapest tuition I've heard of for an accredited school is in the $18,000 a year range.. but that would be a school with pretty much no internationally recognized brand.

Here are some of the top public US programs in order by financial times ranking. I put example prices in parethesis next to some of the schools' names. Note that the prices are per year, and most programs are 2 years. The higher they a school is on the list, the more expensive it's likely to be:

University of Michigan -- Ross ($45,400 a year -- $40,400 for Michigan residents. )
UCLA -- Anderson
UC Berkely -- Haas
University of Arizona -- Eller
University of Maryland -- Smith ( about $42,000 a year, $33,000 for Maryland residents.)
University of North Carolina -- Kenan-Flagler ($39,049 per year in state; NC residents, $19525 per year)
University of Texas at Austin: McCombs (out of state $40500)
University of Pittsburgh: Katz (about $25,000 a year, $18,000 for PA residents.)
Texas A & M University: Mays ( $28,092 out of state , $17,976 in state.)
Indiana University: Kelley
University of Florida: Hough
Michigan State University: Broad ($29,200 -- 20,500 for michigan residents.)
University of Iowa: Tippie
Pennsylvania State University: Smeal ($30, 236 out of state)
University of Washington Business School: Foster ($32,451
out of state; $21,782 for washington residents.)
University of South Carolina: Moore
University of Minnesota: Carlson
University of California at Irvine: Merage
Arizona State University: Carey ($32,600 -- $19,400 for arizona residents)
Ohio State University: Fisher ($36,000 -- $21,000 for ohio residents).

State schools generally skew slightly less than private schools that are in their same league .. but they can still be really expensive. (Obviously if you go to a public school in the state you live in you can also shave off another few thousand bucks.)

The cheapest tuition I've heard of for an accredited school is in the $18,000 a year range.. but that would be a school with pretty much no internationally recognized brand.

Here are some of the top public US programs in order by financial times ranking. I put example prices in parethesis next to some of the schools' names. Note that the prices are per year, and most programs are 2 years. The higher they a school is on the list, the more expensive it's likely to be:

University of Michigan -- Ross ($45,400 a year -- $40,400 for Michigan residents. )
UCLA -- Anderson
UC Berkely -- Haas
University of Maryland -- Smith ( about $42,000 a year, $33,000 for Maryland residents.)
University of North Carolina -- Kenan-Flagler ($39,049 per year in state; NC residents, $19525 per year)
University of Pittsburgh: Katz (about $25,000 a year, $18,000 for PA residents.)

sally

All my number gathering in vain!

All my number gathering in vain!
Alan

What do you mean?! You probably have thousands of people applying for Arizona, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Ohio residency by now. ;)

What do you mean?! You probably have thousands of people applying for Arizona, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Ohio residency by now. ;)
mbanenow

wow does it mean without other financing an MBA is nothing easy? whats is the probability that at the end of the day with so much already in loans one will get a job worth the stress and loans?

wow does it mean without other financing an MBA is nothing easy? whats is the probability that at the end of the day with so much already in loans one will get a job worth the stress and loans?

If I receive an aid/scholarship/grant, do i have to repay it? Is there any eligibilty requirement for receiving aid/scholarship/grant? Also what are the other financing options for an MBA in US? I am an Indian resident.. I am looking at Boston, Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Michigan, Ross, Cornell.

Also are there any alumni or current students from these schools who can help me in clearing my doubts?\
thanks.

If I receive an aid/scholarship/grant, do i have to repay it? Is there any eligibilty requirement for receiving aid/scholarship/grant? Also what are the other financing options for an MBA in US? I am an Indian resident.. I am looking at Boston, Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Michigan, Ross, Cornell.

Also are there any alumni or current students from these schools who can help me in clearing my doubts?\
thanks.

The costs mentioned on websites are for one year or two years? And the costs mentioned above are for one year or entire course?

The costs mentioned on websites are for one year or two years? And the costs mentioned above are for one year or entire course?

UCLA -- Anderson
UC Berkely -- Haas

Thanks a lot Sally for such a nice information about Affordable MBA.

<blockquote>State schools generally skew slightly less than private schools that are in their same league .. but they can still be really expensive. (Obviously if you go to a public school in the state you live in you can also shave off another few thousand bucks.)

UCLA -- Anderson
UC Berkely -- Haas

</blockquote>

Thanks a lot Sally for such a nice information about Affordable MBA.
sally

What kind of information? You could start with the school web site: http://www.cob.ohio-state.edu/

What kind of information? You could start with the school web site: http://www.cob.ohio-state.edu/
Evan2007

Some people on this board need to put the "quest" back in question, and do a bit of their own research...

Some people on this board need to put the "quest" back in question, and do a bit of their own research...
mbowes

Your best bet is a MBA online program

<blockquote>I want to do an MBA in the US. This I know will be a good opportunity of having an international perspective in my professional growth. Unfortunately, most American MBA programs a very expensive. Is there any college which offers a good and yet affordable program</blockquote>

Your best bet is a MBA online program
MykelBBY

Try looking at Eastern New Mexico University (ENMU) if you are interested in online. It's an accredited state school based in Portales, NM. The best part is that you will pay in-state tuition if you take less than six (6) units per semester -- regardless of where you call home!! Ten classes get you the degree, and each class will cost you only (drum roll please) about $600.00. Voila!! An MBA degree for only about $6,000.00 plus books and other incidentals. I looked at University of North Carolina where the cost was in excess of $80,000 for an online MBA. ENMU may just be the best kept secret ever! Look at the website.

Try looking at Eastern New Mexico University (ENMU) if you are interested in online. It's an accredited state school based in Portales, NM. The best part is that you will pay in-state tuition if you take less than six (6) units per semester -- regardless of where you call home!! Ten classes get you the degree, and each class will cost you only (drum roll please) about $600.00. Voila!! An MBA degree for only about $6,000.00 plus books and other incidentals. I looked at University of North Carolina where the cost was in excess of $80,000 for an online MBA. ENMU may just be the best kept secret ever! Look at the website.
Duncan

Comparing ENMA with UNC at Chapel Hill is pointless. The learning and the outcomes are not the same. It's like saying that the Tata Nano costs less than the Bugatti.

There are several inexpensive MBAs available online, and you should compare ENMA with them: http://www.find-mba.com/board/21614 In particular you need to remember that ENMA is not accredited by AACSB, the quality assurance organisation most respected in the USA. https://www.aacsb.net/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=AACSB&WebKey=00E50DA9-8BB0-4A32-B7F7-0A92E98DF5C6

I think you are replying on http://business.enmu.edu/mba/requirements.shtml which suggest that ENMU requires ten courses -- but that is only if you have already studied the 11 foundation courses elsewhere. So, if you have a BBA from a AASCB university then you could skip the first half. However, if you read the graduate catalog then you'll see that ENMU also requires a thesis plus one elective, or three electives. That means most students would need to take 63 hours, and that's a total around $12,000.

Comparing ENMA with UNC at Chapel Hill is pointless. The learning and the outcomes are not the same. It's like saying that the Tata Nano costs less than the Bugatti.

There are several inexpensive MBAs available online, and you should compare ENMA with them: http://www.find-mba.com/board/21614 In particular you need to remember that ENMA is not accredited by AACSB, the quality assurance organisation most respected in the USA. https://www.aacsb.net/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=AACSB&WebKey=00E50DA9-8BB0-4A32-B7F7-0A92E98DF5C6

I think you are replying on http://business.enmu.edu/mba/requirements.shtml which suggest that ENMU requires ten courses -- but that is only if you have already studied the 11 foundation courses elsewhere. So, if you have a BBA from a AASCB university then you could skip the first half. However, if you read the graduate catalog then you'll see that ENMU also requires a thesis plus one elective, or three electives. That means most students would need to take 63 hours, and that's a total around $12,000.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Berkeley, California 100 Followers 116 Discussions
College Park, Maryland 16 Followers 30 Discussions
East Lansing, Michigan 20 Followers 58 Discussions
Irvine, California 41 Followers 40 Discussions
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 31 Followers 55 Discussions
Columbia, South Carolina 11 Followers 30 Discussions
Tempe, Arizona 26 Followers 65 Discussions
College Station, Texas 42 Followers 62 Discussions
Portales, New Mexico 1 Follower 1 Discussion
Columbus, Ohio 19 Followers 36 Discussions
Minneapolis, Minnesota 21 Followers 31 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 89 Followers 147 Discussions
Iowa City, Iowa 8 Followers 32 Discussions
University Park, Pennsylvania 12 Followers 62 Discussions
Austin, Texas 47 Followers 77 Discussions
Seattle, Washington 37 Followers 31 Discussions
Tucson, Arizona 6 Followers 18 Discussions
Bloomington, Indiana 41 Followers 82 Discussions
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 37 Followers 76 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

MBA Loans and Other Alternatives: How to Finance Your MBA

Article May 07, 2018

A look at lending options and some of the newcomers offering students loans and other funding avenues.

Top 10 Most Affordable Online MBAs

Top List

Online MBA degrees have exploded in popularity. Time-conscious managers have warmed to them, rather than taking time out of work to pursue a traditional, campus-based course. See the top 10 most affordable AACSB-accredited Online MBA programs.

Hot Discussions