680 GMAT, what's the best school I can get into?

haikudd

I want to do my MBA in the US, and I got a 680 on the GMAT. What's the best school I can get into with this score? I was thinking Emory or Irvine, since they are ranked in the Financial Times, but is there a better school? I'm interested in working in the tech industry, and I have permanent residency in the US already.

I want to do my MBA in the US, and I got a 680 on the GMAT. What's the best school I can get into with this score? I was thinking Emory or Irvine, since they are ranked in the Financial Times, but is there a better school? I'm interested in working in the tech industry, and I have permanent residency in the US already.
Duncan

Try GMAT Tiers - strong schools for your GMAT www.find-mba.com/board/27082

Try GMAT Tiers - strong schools for your GMAT www.find-mba.com/board/27082
Inactive User

Also, this list:

http://find-mba.com/lists/top-business-school-by-speciality/top-business-schools-for-a-career-in-technology-or-information-technology-it

Notre Dame and Carnegie Mellon are in that list, although depending on how many years of work experience you have, they may be reach schools for you.

Since working in the tech industry is a pretty broad career goal, I suggest you narrow it down either by function or location.

Also, this list:

http://find-mba.com/lists/top-business-school-by-speciality/top-business-schools-for-a-career-in-technology-or-information-technology-it

Notre Dame and Carnegie Mellon are in that list, although depending on how many years of work experience you have, they may be reach schools for you.

Since working in the tech industry is a pretty broad career goal, I suggest you narrow it down either by function or location.
haikudd

Yes, true. I'd like to work in IT project management or maybe IT consulting, and southern California is my ideal location. So would UC Irvine be an ok choice, or perhaps UCLA Anderson, even though Notre Dame etc. are in that list?

Yes, true. I'd like to work in IT project management or maybe IT consulting, and southern California is my ideal location. So would UC Irvine be an ok choice, or perhaps UCLA Anderson, even though Notre Dame etc. are in that list?
Inactive User

I think that Anderson is relatively comparable to Notre Dame, given each school's rankings; if you can get into that school then it's probably a safe bet. It looks like it has been placing around a quarter of its grads into the tech industry in recent years, which is comparable to Notre Dame. However, your GMAT score is lower than the average there, so it may be a reach school.
I think Irvine doesn't line up as well with your goals, but it is more in line with your GMAT score.

I think that Anderson is relatively comparable to Notre Dame, given each school's rankings; if you can get into that school then it's probably a safe bet. It looks like it has been placing around a quarter of its grads into the tech industry in recent years, which is comparable to Notre Dame. However, your GMAT score is lower than the average there, so it may be a reach school.
I think Irvine doesn't line up as well with your goals, but it is more in line with your GMAT score.
haikudd

Ok. Since I am past the round one deadline for Anderson I plan on re-taking the GMAT in early December to try to get my score up. That should give me enough time for round two. Do you think that there's a substantial penalty for applying in round two? How high should my GMAT score be?

Ok. Since I am past the round one deadline for Anderson I plan on re-taking the GMAT in early December to try to get my score up. That should give me enough time for round two. Do you think that there's a substantial penalty for applying in round two? How high should my GMAT score be?
Duncan

The schools are not at all comparable. Notre Dame has a 670 average GMAT and accepts two applicants in five; UCLA has a 706 average and accepts one applicant in five. You should certainly target a GMAT score above average, but how far above average depends on how strong a candidate you are.

[Edited by Duncan on Nov 12, 2014]

The schools are not at all comparable. Notre Dame has a 670 average GMAT and accepts two applicants in five; UCLA has a 706 average and accepts one applicant in five. You should certainly target a GMAT score above average, but how far above average depends on how strong a candidate you are.
Isaacmba

Dear Duncan, I have read many of your posts and they are really helpful. Could you do me a favor to assess which school I should apply?
Here is my details:10 years WE in journalism+3 years WE in banking/GMAT 680/IELTS 7/GPA 2.8 in undergraduate majored in finance and GPA 3.5 in graduate majored in journalism/nationality is China but based in Hong Kong for 4 years. Wish to do marketing , public relation or brand management in China for US company in IT or new media related industry.
UCLA is my dream school but worry my GMAT is too modest. As a 35 years old mid-career candidate, am I too experienced? I am willing to learn new things yet.Thanks in advance.

Dear Duncan, I have read many of your posts and they are really helpful. Could you do me a favor to assess which school I should apply?
Here is my details:10 years WE in journalism+3 years WE in banking/GMAT 680/IELTS 7/GPA 2.8 in undergraduate majored in finance and GPA 3.5 in graduate majored in journalism/nationality is China but based in Hong Kong for 4 years. Wish to do marketing , public relation or brand management in China for US company in IT or new media related industry.
UCLA is my dream school but worry my GMAT is too modest. As a 35 years old mid-career candidate, am I too experienced? I am willing to learn new things yet.Thanks in advance.
[quote]The schools are not at all comparable. Notre Dame has a 670 average GMAT and accepts two applicants in five; UCLA has a 706 average and accepts one applicant in five. You should certainly target a GMAT score above average, but how far above average depends on how strong a candidate you are. [/quote]
Duncan

I'm not sure that US firms would want an MBA to be leading brand/marketing work. Surely something like an MS from the Annenburg School of Communication at USC or the Medill school at Northwester would be better for that?

I'm not sure that US firms would want an MBA to be leading brand/marketing work. Surely something like an MS from the Annenburg School of Communication at USC or the Medill school at Northwester would be better for that?
Isaacmba

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for you advice. But I have had a MS in this aspect and want strengthen my management skills.so MBA is my priority.
I was wondering what's the possibility of 2 tier MBA for me. If my target is UCLA, which aspect should I improve?

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for you advice. But I have had a MS in this aspect and want strengthen my management skills.so MBA is my priority.
I was wondering what's the possibility of 2 tier MBA for me. If my target is UCLA, which aspect should I improve? [quote][/quote]
Duncan

Your weak points are probably your GMAT, your weak connections to the firms that hire from the Anderson school and your lack of leadership experience.

Your weak points are probably your GMAT, your weak connections to the firms that hire from the Anderson school and your lack of leadership experience.
Isaacmba

thanks Duncan.
registered a new GMAT next month for a higher score. And I have taken a position as the managing editor in our HK office for 4 years. But am not sure if MBA admission officials accept leadership experience in media industry.
Could you tell me which business school has tight relations with the firms I am interested, ie marketing in and business development in Asia.
Thanks for your patience.

thanks Duncan.
registered a new GMAT next month for a higher score. And I have taken a position as the managing editor in our HK office for 4 years. But am not sure if MBA admission officials accept leadership experience in media industry.
Could you tell me which business school has tight relations with the firms I am interested, ie marketing in and business development in Asia.
Thanks for your patience.
[quote][/quote]
Duncan

Read: How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571

And, generally, look at the posts linked to from my profile page

Read: How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571

And, generally, look at the posts linked to from my profile page
badux

People transition into marketing roles post-MBA all the time. And I don't see why adcomms wouldn't look at your leadership experience in the media industry. As long as it's post-graduate, full-time work experience, it should be fine.

People transition into marketing roles post-MBA all the time. And I don't see why adcomms wouldn't look at your leadership experience in the media industry. As long as it's post-graduate, full-time work experience, it should be fine.
Isaacmba

Heart-felt thanks badux.
Could you recommend a few schools for me please?

Heart-felt thanks badux.
Could you recommend a few schools for me please?[quote][/quote]
badux

Look for schools that have strong placements in marketing functions. Are you only looking at US schools? If so start with Wharton, Minnesota - Carlson, and Wisconsin. Oh and perhaps Rutgers. Your GMAT might be low for some of these programs so I would suggest trying to re-take and getting it up to 720+. Your higher-than-average work experience may work in your favor as well.

Look for schools that have strong placements in marketing functions. Are you only looking at US schools? If so start with Wharton, Minnesota - Carlson, and Wisconsin. Oh and perhaps Rutgers. Your GMAT might be low for some of these programs so I would suggest trying to re-take and getting it up to 720+. Your higher-than-average work experience may work in your favor as well.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Atlanta, Georgia 33 Followers 65 Discussions
Notre Dame, Indiana 14 Followers 39 Discussions
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 37 Followers 92 Discussions
Irvine, California 41 Followers 40 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

MBA Application: What is a Good GMAT Score?

Article May 14, 2018

A high GMAT score can make or break your chances of admission to a top MBA program, so what score should you aim for?

Top 10 MBA Programs for a 680 GMAT Score

Top List

We’ve crunched the data, finding the best schools for those who scored a respectable 680 on the GMAT. If you’re around that score, then it makes sense to target schools with a similar average. That does not mean compromising on quality though.

Hot Discussions