wait one year for oxbridge?

Hi all
I am relatively new to this forum and was wondering if any of the wise people out there help me to make a decision. :)

Given that I've made a decison to do MBA (my back ground is I am a Research Scientist), I have some uni's in mind as to where I want to do it (if I am successful in admissions that is)
My problem is if I have to get into Judge or Said, I have to wait a year to start the course as the deadlines have long passed.

But I have been researching other schools aswell: Warwick, Manc, etc. They do have places left for September'13 intake and it is really tempting to apply for them, rather than wait a year to get into oxbridge.

I have my own reasons for doing MBA as I really had bad experiences in my career and decided to up my game a bit. I will be returning back to scientific research after MBA, more in a global strategy and management role in Pharmaceutical industry.

So do you think it is worth waiting a year to try to get in to oxbridge or just go with the flow and start my MBA this year in some good unis???

cheers

Hi all
I am relatively new to this forum and was wondering if any of the wise people out there help me to make a decision. :)

Given that I've made a decison to do MBA (my back ground is I am a Research Scientist), I have some uni's in mind as to where I want to do it (if I am successful in admissions that is)
My problem is if I have to get into Judge or Said, I have to wait a year to start the course as the deadlines have long passed.

But I have been researching other schools aswell: Warwick, Manc, etc. They do have places left for September'13 intake and it is really tempting to apply for them, rather than wait a year to get into oxbridge.

I have my own reasons for doing MBA as I really had bad experiences in my career and decided to up my game a bit. I will be returning back to scientific research after MBA, more in a global strategy and management role in Pharmaceutical industry.

So do you think it is worth waiting a year to try to get in to oxbridge or just go with the flow and start my MBA this year in some good unis???

cheers

Duncan

Judge and Said are very different schools, and Warwick and Manchester also have very different MBAs. I think you would benefit from working out which programme would be best for your career.

Judge and Said are very different schools, and Warwick and Manchester also have very different MBAs. I think you would benefit from working out which programme would be best for your career.

I have been to Judge and Said for open days. I agree that they are different. From my point of view it looked like Said is energetic and 'radiant', and Judge is more professional and focused!!

As it is once in a life time course, I am thinking doing it right even it means waiting for a year. I have researched the schools based on the industry breakdown, it looked like both oxbridge has more 'industry' alumni compared to Warwick and Manchester.

thanks

<blockquote>Judge and Said are very different schools, and Warwick and Manchester also have very different MBAs. I think you would benefit from working out which programme would be best for your career.</blockquote>

I have been to Judge and Said for open days. I agree that they are different. From my point of view it looked like Said is energetic and 'radiant', and Judge is more professional and focused!!

As it is once in a life time course, I am thinking doing it right even it means waiting for a year. I have researched the schools based on the industry breakdown, it looked like both oxbridge has more 'industry' alumni compared to Warwick and Manchester.

thanks
Razors Edg...

Do you want to stay in the UK after graduation? I had a friend who landed a job with Glaxo Smith Kline after doing an MBA at Warwick, but I'm not sure if this is necessarily typical.

Why don't you ask the career services people at these schools what kind of placements they have in pharmaceuticals? Sometimes business schools have strong relationships with particular companies - and they become "feeder schools" for them. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Do you want to stay in the UK after graduation? I had a friend who landed a job with Glaxo Smith Kline after doing an MBA at Warwick, but I'm not sure if this is necessarily typical.

Why don't you ask the career services people at these schools what kind of placements they have in pharmaceuticals? Sometimes business schools have strong relationships with particular companies - and they become "feeder schools" for them. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Yes I have been in touch with career services people. Both Judge and Said seems to have good ties with with big pharmas. Yes I will be in the UK after graduation.
I will contact Warwick to see what they can offer for my background. thanks

<blockquote>Do you want to stay in the UK after graduation? I had a friend who landed a job with Glaxo Smith Kline after doing an MBA at Warwick, but I'm not sure if this is necessarily typical.

Why don't you ask the career services people at these schools what kind of placements they have in pharmaceuticals? Sometimes business schools have strong relationships with particular companies - and they become "feeder schools" for them. It wouldn't hurt to ask.</blockquote>

Yes I have been in touch with career services people. Both Judge and Said seems to have good ties with with big pharmas. Yes I will be in the UK after graduation.
I will contact Warwick to see what they can offer for my background. thanks

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Oxford, United Kingdom 70 Followers 278 Discussions
Cambridge, United Kingdom 53 Followers 290 Discussions

Other Related Content

Oct 12, 2023

Calling All German MBA Hopefuls: Join the e-fellows MBA Days in Frankfurt and Hamburg

News Oct 12, 2023

MBA Programs in Pharmaceuticals: Beyond the Lab

Article Aug 20, 2013

How MBA programs can help students tap into a wide range of roles in both big and small pharma firms

Hot Discussions