Top Mba in the UK - what are my chances

Hi everyone,

I just took the GMAT last Friday and the unofficial score was comforting (49 Q - 41 V - 7 IR - 730 overall).
I've decided to attend a full time MBA next year and, given my budget and time constraints, (my MBA will be self-financed and I can't afford to attend programs lasting more than 12 months) I've narrowed my options to several schools, most of which in the UK.
I would ask an honest assessment of my chances to be admitted in my target programs.
Cambridge Judge would be my top choice, but I'm not sure whether my profile is outstanding enough for their requirements. My GMAT score is good, even though not perfectly balanced, thus it should not be a major concern, however my application might present several weaknesses.
First of all, they are requiring an high command of English language; I may reach a 110 in Toefl (I did it 3 years ago), but, as you can guess from this post, my writing skills in English are not exceptional and my bad pronunciation could be a seriously potential problem in an eventual interview.
Moreover, they are requiring candidates who have shown a significant career progression and who have international experience. I'm an Italian 30 years old male with six years work-experience: two years of consultancy (Big 4 - Risk and compliance projects for Financial Services) and four years of banking (planning & control in the Corporate and Investment Banking Division of the biggest Italian Bank). My career progression has not been spectacular, the Italian job-market is in a complete stalemate, basically I'm a senior analyst with a strong knowledge of Basel II/III, Risk-adjusted performance measurement and capital management and I have had limited international exposure: I've always lived and worked in Italy and my current employer is strongly focused on Italian market, even though I'm in charge of monitoring the Foreign Branches Network. I've got a Ba in Economics and a Msc in Banking and Insurance Management from a small Italian University, whose reputation is good in my home country, but virtually nonexistent abroad.
I'm also considering Cranfield and Cass as second and third best; probably the aforementioned weaknesses might be less harmful and my good Gmat score might be more favourably considered in a potential application to these schools. I've ruled out Said (too expensive), Manchester BS (18 months program) and of course LBS (a reach anyway given my profile); a friend of mine is an alumnus of Imperial Business School and, from what he told me, I didn't get a good vibe. I will gladly accept any potential suggestion on other possible BS where I could be considered a strong candidate. I've got SDA Bocconi in Milan as a safety option, a renowned BS with a steady increase in its ranking in the last years, but once again in Italy..
I'm planning to switch to corporate finance in multinational companies or to strategy consultancy (not so original I know) after my MBA, possibly in London (my girlfriend moved there last year).
I sincerely thank anyone who will answer my post.

Hi everyone,

I just took the GMAT last Friday and the unofficial score was comforting (49 Q - 41 V - 7 IR - 730 overall).
I've decided to attend a full time MBA next year and, given my budget and time constraints, (my MBA will be self-financed and I can't afford to attend programs lasting more than 12 months) I've narrowed my options to several schools, most of which in the UK.
I would ask an honest assessment of my chances to be admitted in my target programs.
Cambridge Judge would be my top choice, but I'm not sure whether my profile is outstanding enough for their requirements. My GMAT score is good, even though not perfectly balanced, thus it should not be a major concern, however my application might present several weaknesses.
First of all, they are requiring an high command of English language; I may reach a 110 in Toefl (I did it 3 years ago), but, as you can guess from this post, my writing skills in English are not exceptional and my bad pronunciation could be a seriously potential problem in an eventual interview.
Moreover, they are requiring candidates who have shown a significant career progression and who have international experience. I'm an Italian 30 years old male with six years work-experience: two years of consultancy (Big 4 - Risk and compliance projects for Financial Services) and four years of banking (planning & control in the Corporate and Investment Banking Division of the biggest Italian Bank). My career progression has not been spectacular, the Italian job-market is in a complete stalemate, basically I'm a senior analyst with a strong knowledge of Basel II/III, Risk-adjusted performance measurement and capital management and I have had limited international exposure: I've always lived and worked in Italy and my current employer is strongly focused on Italian market, even though I'm in charge of monitoring the Foreign Branches Network. I've got a Ba in Economics and a Msc in Banking and Insurance Management from a small Italian University, whose reputation is good in my home country, but virtually nonexistent abroad.
I'm also considering Cranfield and Cass as second and third best; probably the aforementioned weaknesses might be less harmful and my good Gmat score might be more favourably considered in a potential application to these schools. I've ruled out Said (too expensive), Manchester BS (18 months program) and of course LBS (a reach anyway given my profile); a friend of mine is an alumnus of Imperial Business School and, from what he told me, I didn't get a good vibe. I will gladly accept any potential suggestion on other possible BS where I could be considered a strong candidate. I've got SDA Bocconi in Milan as a safety option, a renowned BS with a steady increase in its ranking in the last years, but once again in Italy..
I'm planning to switch to corporate finance in multinational companies or to strategy consultancy (not so original I know) after my MBA, possibly in London (my girlfriend moved there last year).
I sincerely thank anyone who will answer my post.
Duncan

If you apply early, I think any of these schools are an option. Don't rule out LBS.

If you apply early, I think any of these schools are an option. Don't rule out LBS.
Inactive User

For a career in any kind of finance, LBS will be the best bet. If you apply to that as a reach school, and then Cambridge, as well as either Cass or Cranfield as a safety, that would probably be a good spread.

For a career in any kind of finance, LBS will be the best bet. If you apply to that as a reach school, and then Cambridge, as well as either Cass or Cranfield as a safety, that would probably be a good spread.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

London, United Kingdom 59 Followers 415 Discussions
Bedford, United Kingdom 44 Followers 413 Discussions
Cambridge, United Kingdom 53 Followers 289 Discussions

Other Related Content

Oct 12, 2023

Calling All German MBA Hopefuls: Join the e-fellows MBA Days in Frankfurt and Hamburg

News Oct 12, 2023

Hot Discussions