STRATHCLYDE / EDINBURGH / DURHAM / MANCHESTER -- MIM

Hi I am an engineering final year student and have decided to pursue a MSc in Management to change my career path from Engineering.
I have offers from the following schools:
STRATHCLYDE,EDINBURGH,DURHAM,MANCHESTER

I was going through the "FT Times-Masters in Management 2011 rankings" and saw that STRATHCLYDE is ranked as the fourth best in UK, and 26th best in the world.
But Everyone is saying that STRATHCLYDE MBA-2012 rankings have fallen down,its not that good anymore,as of now Edinburgh and Manchester are better than STRATHCLYDE FOR MIM.

I am really really confused

Please help me with the pro's and con's of each school. Specially considering that I am from INDIA and i need a school that will give me more opportunities to Network/attend events.

Hi I am an engineering final year student and have decided to pursue a MSc in Management to change my career path from Engineering.
I have offers from the following schools:
STRATHCLYDE,EDINBURGH,DURHAM,MANCHESTER

I was going through the "FT Times-Masters in Management 2011 rankings" and saw that STRATHCLYDE is ranked as the fourth best in UK, and 26th best in the world.
But Everyone is saying that STRATHCLYDE MBA-2012 rankings have fallen down,its not that good anymore,as of now Edinburgh and Manchester are better than STRATHCLYDE FOR MIM.

I am really really confused

Please help me with the pro's and con's of each school. Specially considering that I am from INDIA and i need a school that will give me more opportunities to Network/attend events.
Duncan

No, I don't think everyone is saying the same thing. The MBA rankings are for MBAs. Use the MSc rankings. They show that Strathclyde and Edinburgh are stronger than Manchester and Durham.

If you are focussed primarily on the ability to network, rather than employment or salary outcomes, then the order of activity in the b-schools alumni base is Manchester > Strathclyde > Edinburgh > Durham [more or less in line with the size of the schools].

However, if someone wanted high salary then they would look at Edinburgh, and if they wanted the fastest route into work they would choose Strathclyde. Personally, I would choose Edinburgh out of those four.

PS But isn't the MBM at Strathclyde better than the other programmes?

No, I don't think everyone is saying the same thing. The MBA rankings are for MBAs. Use the MSc rankings. They show that Strathclyde and Edinburgh are stronger than Manchester and Durham.

If you are focussed primarily on the ability to network, rather than employment or salary outcomes, then the order of activity in the b-schools alumni base is Manchester > Strathclyde > Edinburgh > Durham [more or less in line with the size of the schools].

However, if someone wanted high salary then they would look at Edinburgh, and if they wanted the fastest route into work they would choose Strathclyde. Personally, I would choose Edinburgh out of those four.

PS But isn't the MBM at Strathclyde better than the other programmes?

YEAH that is what i am confused about...
MBM at STRATHCLYDE is good. But for "network+employment or salary outcomes" EDINBURGH is better!

But then STRATHCLYDE is 1 of only 48 business schools in the world (out of 3500) and only Scottish business school with triple international accreditation (AMBA, AACSB, EQUIS)

STRATHCLYDE OR EDINBURGH , which one to go for ??

YEAH that is what i am confused about...
MBM at STRATHCLYDE is good. But for "network+employment or salary outcomes" EDINBURGH is better!

But then STRATHCLYDE is 1 of only 48 business schools in the world (out of 3500) and only Scottish business school with triple international accreditation (AMBA, AACSB, EQUIS)

STRATHCLYDE OR EDINBURGH , which one to go for ??
Duncan

MBM has the clear advantage that it upgrades to an MBA. That might influence your plans. Strathclyde score much better on Careers in the FT ranking than Edinburgh, and slightly better for employment, placement and aims achieved. Salaries are higher from Edinburgh, and I guess that is because of the strong focus on finance.

I think the two options are very similar. Perhaps your choice should be between the cities? Glasgow is warmer but Edinburgh is dryer.

MBM has the clear advantage that it upgrades to an MBA. That might influence your plans. Strathclyde score much better on Careers in the FT ranking than Edinburgh, and slightly better for employment, placement and aims achieved. Salaries are higher from Edinburgh, and I guess that is because of the strong focus on finance.

I think the two options are very similar. Perhaps your choice should be between the cities? Glasgow is warmer but Edinburgh is dryer.

You can also refer to Rankings by Guardian that were released yesterday. Strathclyde does better than Edinburgh.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-business-management-studies

You can also refer to Rankings by Guardian that were released yesterday. Strathclyde does better than Edinburgh.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-business-management-studies

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Glasgow, United Kingdom 53 Followers 475 Discussions
Manchester, United Kingdom 65 Followers 515 Discussions
Edinburgh, United Kingdom 35 Followers 267 Discussions
Durham, United Kingdom 74 Followers 400 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

Hot Discussions