Not So Simple Comparison

RL

A little bit of my background..
9-10 years work exp, with managerial exp.
work in highly regarded Fortune 500 Company.
live in Asia (Singapore).
wanting to get an MBA to boost my career (dont intend to switch industry).
dont intend to get a local MBA.. as my perception is that local MBAs are lack of international diversity or global network.

The dilemma..
Done my home work in the past couple of months. And basically it boils down to below three options.
(1) DL MBA @ Warwick.. decent ranking, decent international reputation, cheapest option
(2) IE Global Blended MBA, excellent ranking, good international reputation, 2x the fee of warwick MBA
(3) LBS EMBA in Dubai, excellent ranking, excellent international reputation, 3x-4x the fee of warwick DL MBA (and not to mentioned the time commitment for the face to face sessions).

I'm taking out the much more expensive options.. like INSEAD EMBA, Booth EMBA, HKUST EMBA.. its just beyond me (roughly 5x Warwick DL MBA)

Now.. assuming that I can get admission to all the three programs mentioned above.. What logic should be applied here? Reputation should trump all? or Should the cheapest be the wisest option?

I believe someone should have gone thru the same dilemma.. do share and comment.

Regards.

A little bit of my background..
9-10 years work exp, with managerial exp.
work in highly regarded Fortune 500 Company.
live in Asia (Singapore).
wanting to get an MBA to boost my career (dont intend to switch industry).
dont intend to get a local MBA.. as my perception is that local MBAs are lack of international diversity or global network.

The dilemma..
Done my home work in the past couple of months. And basically it boils down to below three options.
(1) DL MBA @ Warwick.. decent ranking, decent international reputation, cheapest option
(2) IE Global Blended MBA, excellent ranking, good international reputation, 2x the fee of warwick MBA
(3) LBS EMBA in Dubai, excellent ranking, excellent international reputation, 3x-4x the fee of warwick DL MBA (and not to mentioned the time commitment for the face to face sessions).

I'm taking out the much more expensive options.. like INSEAD EMBA, Booth EMBA, HKUST EMBA.. its just beyond me (roughly 5x Warwick DL MBA)

Now.. assuming that I can get admission to all the three programs mentioned above.. What logic should be applied here? Reputation should trump all? or Should the cheapest be the wisest option?

I believe someone should have gone thru the same dilemma.. do share and comment.

Regards.
Duncan

Compare the values of the network. IE is a good school, but the network is in Spain, Latin America and Florida. I think the difference in experience and quality means that the outcomes will be more than three times better with LBS.

Compare the values of the network. IE is a good school, but the network is in Spain, Latin America and Florida. I think the difference in experience and quality means that the outcomes will be more than three times better with LBS.
RL

Thanks for the input Duncan. Indeed, if network is the denominator, LBS will stand out.

I think I'm kinda want to convince myself that $75K difference (roughly) is justifiable. Other than the programs' fee.. the rest of the parameters are a little bit hard to quantify.

If you were in the same kind of situation, would you make the jump and choose the LBS program?

Thanks for the input Duncan. Indeed, if network is the denominator, LBS will stand out.

I think I'm kinda want to convince myself that $75K difference (roughly) is justifiable. Other than the programs' fee.. the rest of the parameters are a little bit hard to quantify.

If you were in the same kind of situation, would you make the jump and choose the LBS program?
Duncan

Yes. I have done and did do: I am an LBS EMBA alumnus. If you don't think the EMBA won't create $10 a work day of difference then go to Warwick. I think the differences between London and Warwick are as big as the difference between DL and EMBA.

Yes. I have done and did do: I am an LBS EMBA alumnus. If you don't think the EMBA won't create $10 a work day of difference then go to Warwick. I think the differences between London and Warwick are as big as the difference between DL and EMBA.
BigD

You should be selling insurance. For just $1.67 a day you get _all_ these benefits....and there's more !

BigD

If you don't think the EMBA won't create $10 a work day of difference then go to Warwick.

You should be selling insurance. For just $1.67 a day you get _all_ these benefits....and there's more !

BigD

<blockquote> If you don't think the EMBA won't create $10 a work day of difference then go to Warwick. </blockquote>
Duncan

I also got a free pen with my MBA...

I also got a free pen with my MBA...
ezra

Are you planning on staying in Singapore? My take is that an EMBA program, even with a wider network, would be less valuable in Singapore. Maybe take some local programs (SMU, UCLA/NUS, Temple, etc.) into consideration?

Are you planning on staying in Singapore? My take is that an EMBA program, even with a wider network, would be less valuable in Singapore. Maybe take some local programs (SMU, UCLA/NUS, Temple, etc.) into consideration?

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Los Angeles, California 89 Followers 147 Discussions
Madrid, Spain 114 Followers 368 Discussions
Coventry, United Kingdom 100 Followers 585 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 168 Followers 475 Discussions
Dubai, United Arab Emirates 15 Followers 24 Discussions
Singapore 35 Followers 54 Discussions
Singapore 1 Follower 6 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

The Eye of the Tiger: A Look at EMBA Programs in East Asia

Article Jan 27, 2010

Despite the global economic downturn, a focus on Asia remains an attractive option for executives

Hot Discussions