MSc management

Hello everyone
I have done my engineering...I always wanted to go in management field.So I started working with a NGO as a management trainee and now i have about two months part time and more than three months full time experience....and i want to go in consulting field to be specific in future.....

I think of masters in management from UK or USA..... Masters courses in management is not as frequent in USA as compared to UK....

Which uni will be good for me after looking at my profile and the consulting factor.....

I am in process to get offer letters from Strathclyde,Manchester,Edinburgh,Durham and probably Warwick also...I have also got an offer from hult international business school for masters in international business in San Francisco USA.

I have been following ft and find-MBA for passed 2-3 years years but i was not regular in find-mba.....I thought that Strathcylde will win the race but after ft MBA rankings 2012 the situation has changed though it is still highly ranked in masters,European business school.Msc course is continuously in ranking for passed 4-5 years and it is at good position also.....

Then Manchester it's a brand name in UK and is also featured in Forbes ranking and in other rankings as well.Highly reputated have a good position in ranking in global MBA ranking and European business school.But for masters it is not regular in ranking and have missed in couple of years...Salary is also low as compared to stretchy...

EDINBURGH-POSITIVE-High salary or i would rather say highest in UK...good location to work and live......financial and corporate hub...

NEGATIVE-new to ranking or newest to ranking on comparing....Global MBA and European school ranking position is also down on comparing.

HULT-Only advantage is USA and location as USA has a bigger economy, better job opportunities as well...Ranked in MBA ranking....

Now considering the fact that i want to go in consulting field which uni will be good for me which has a good reputation and placement records.And do suggest me a university if i have missed one.thanks

Hello everyone
I have done my engineering...I always wanted to go in management field.So I started working with a NGO as a management trainee and now i have about two months part time and more than three months full time experience....and i want to go in consulting field to be specific in future.....

I think of masters in management from UK or USA..... Masters courses in management is not as frequent in USA as compared to UK....

Which uni will be good for me after looking at my profile and the consulting factor.....

I am in process to get offer letters from Strathclyde,Manchester,Edinburgh,Durham and probably Warwick also...I have also got an offer from hult international business school for masters in international business in San Francisco USA.

I have been following ft and find-MBA for passed 2-3 years years but i was not regular in find-mba.....I thought that Strathcylde will win the race but after ft MBA rankings 2012 the situation has changed though it is still highly ranked in masters,European business school.Msc course is continuously in ranking for passed 4-5 years and it is at good position also.....

Then Manchester it's a brand name in UK and is also featured in Forbes ranking and in other rankings as well.Highly reputated have a good position in ranking in global MBA ranking and European business school.But for masters it is not regular in ranking and have missed in couple of years...Salary is also low as compared to stretchy...

EDINBURGH-POSITIVE-High salary or i would rather say highest in UK...good location to work and live......financial and corporate hub...

NEGATIVE-new to ranking or newest to ranking on comparing....Global MBA and European school ranking position is also down on comparing.

HULT-Only advantage is USA and location as USA has a bigger economy, better job opportunities as well...Ranked in MBA ranking....

Now considering the fact that i want to go in consulting field which uni will be good for me which has a good reputation and placement records.And do suggest me a university if i have missed one.thanks
Duncan

Take a look at http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-management-2011 for a good list of MSc programmes in the UK. I would especially suggest the London schools:- ESCP, London Business School, LSE, Imperial and Cass. These are certainly the best.

Use the MSc rankings, not the MBA rankings.

Of the others, I would focus on Edinburgh and Warwick.

Take a look at http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-management-2011 for a good list of MSc programmes in the UK. I would especially suggest the London schools:- ESCP, London Business School, LSE, Imperial and Cass. These are certainly the best.

Use the MSc rankings, not the MBA rankings.

Of the others, I would focus on Edinburgh and Warwick.

Thanks duncan for your help..

Thanks duncan for your help..
Sparks

Duncan will be more knowledgeable than me about this, but I'd add that it's worth weighing up the brand value of some of these, according to the consultancy sector. E.g. the brand value of Imperial and LSE might be particularly valued by some consultancies.

Question to Duncan: I'm curious why you didn't include Warwick and Manchester alongside the London schools. How come?

Duncan will be more knowledgeable than me about this, but I'd add that it's worth weighing up the brand value of some of these, according to the consultancy sector. E.g. the brand value of Imperial and LSE might be particularly valued by some consultancies.

Question to Duncan: I'm curious why you didn't include Warwick and Manchester alongside the London schools. How come?
Duncan

The consultancy industry is concentrated in the UK, especially for strategy consulting. The London schools feed into the consulting firms in a way the provincial schools do not. That is also reflected in the higher salaries for MSc graduates from the schools I mentioned.

If, for example, this person was interested in finance then the answer would be different: Oxford, Cranfield, Edinburgh, Henley and Warwick are all strong MSc in finance providers.

The consultancy industry is concentrated in the UK, especially for strategy consulting. The London schools feed into the consulting firms in a way the provincial schools do not. That is also reflected in the higher salaries for MSc graduates from the schools I mentioned.

If, for example, this person was interested in finance then the answer would be different: Oxford, Cranfield, Edinburgh, Henley and Warwick are all strong MSc in finance providers.
maya

Dear Duncan ,

i have an offer in Msc Innovation management from Manchester and would like to do my Phd in innovation and socio-economic development later at mbs or maybe cass.
what is your general opinion regarding this course and of the probability of getting into a good PHD programme in uk without work ex. also would an MRes degree be better suited for my goals.i have a good academic profile so far.

Dear Duncan ,

i have an offer in Msc Innovation management from Manchester and would like to do my Phd in innovation and socio-economic development later at mbs or maybe cass.
what is your general opinion regarding this course and of the probability of getting into a good PHD programme in uk without work ex. also would an MRes degree be better suited for my goals.i have a good academic profile so far.
Duncan

That's an interesting programme. Manchester and Sussex feel like the obvious places to do your PhD. Speak to the PhD admissions team at MBS about the MPhil and MRes options there. They will advice you on which is better. If you don't have deep training in research methods, the MRes is the better route.

That's an interesting programme. Manchester and Sussex feel like the obvious places to do your PhD. Speak to the PhD admissions team at MBS about the MPhil and MRes options there. They will advice you on which is better. If you don't have deep training in research methods, the MRes is the better route.
maya

Thank you duncan!
yes i have written to them.
what i have been concerned about is that if i am not getting into a fully funded Phd programme in UK and have to come back to India for research ,the ROI on this Msc degree is not gonna be much.

Thank you duncan!
yes i have written to them.
what i have been concerned about is that if i am not getting into a fully funded Phd programme in UK and have to come back to India for research ,the ROI on this Msc degree is not gonna be much.
Duncan

I am not recommending MSc degrees, but MPhil and MRes options.

I am not recommending MSc degrees, but MPhil and MRes options.
maya

Many thanks Duncan.
i am having trouble getting the funding, so guess i have to stick to India for now

Many thanks Duncan.
i am having trouble getting the funding, so guess i have to stick to India for now
Mamit

Funded PhD in UK is very difficult for international students because of current economic situation.

Funded PhD in UK is very difficult for international students because of current economic situation.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

London, United Kingdom 59 Followers 415 Discussions
San Francisco, California 28 Followers 40 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 7 Followers 69 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 31 Followers 77 Discussions
Dubai, United Arab Emirates 25 Followers 88 Discussions
Durham, United Kingdom 74 Followers 400 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 12 Followers 116 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 34 Followers 179 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 107 Followers 348 Discussions
Edinburgh, United Kingdom 35 Followers 267 Discussions