MBA Without Managerial Exp

kenco

Hi There,

I am thinking of doing a distance learning mba and have narrowed down my wish list to 1: Warwick 2: Aston 3: Stratclyde.

I have 9 years post grad experience and recently became a Chartered Accountant.

Trouble is i work for a small company with a flat structure where my boss is also the owner and everyone reports to him.
There are staff who i delegate duties to but really thats as far as my management goes. (Note:I love working there and am well paid.)

Will my experience work against me in the application stage for any schools?
would i get into the above schools in your opinion?

Thanks -KC

Hi There,

I am thinking of doing a distance learning mba and have narrowed down my wish list to 1: Warwick 2: Aston 3: Stratclyde.

I have 9 years post grad experience and recently became a Chartered Accountant.

Trouble is i work for a small company with a flat structure where my boss is also the owner and everyone reports to him.
There are staff who i delegate duties to but really thats as far as my management goes. (Note:I love working there and am well paid.)

Will my experience work against me in the application stage for any schools?
would i get into the above schools in your opinion?

Thanks -KC
Mesix

Have you thought about discussing your MBA goal with the boss/owner? He may be willing to write a good recommendation to help your entrance with a top MBA program. He may also mentor you or provide you with additional responsibilities and opportunities if he knows you are interested.

Have you thought about discussing your MBA goal with the boss/owner? He may be willing to write a good recommendation to help your entrance with a top MBA program. He may also mentor you or provide you with additional responsibilities and opportunities if he knows you are interested.
karunk

Kenco,

MBA is not just about managing people as a team leader. It involves skills like project management, working in a team, building relationships, marketing skills etc., you need not have managed a team of people, but if you had just shown leadership qualities in initiatives, in my opinion, that is quite sufficient..

Lets see what the other members of the forum opine!!

Regards,
Arun

Kenco,

MBA is not just about managing people as a team leader. It involves skills like project management, working in a team, building relationships, marketing skills etc., you need not have managed a team of people, but if you had just shown leadership qualities in initiatives, in my opinion, that is quite sufficient..

Lets see what the other members of the forum opine!!

Regards,
Arun
kenco

thanks for the reply.

thanks for the reply.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Glasgow, United Kingdom 53 Followers 475 Discussions
Coventry, United Kingdom 100 Followers 585 Discussions
Birmingham, United Kingdom 35 Followers 338 Discussions

Other Related Content

Dec 01, 2023

Warwick Launches New Hybrid Accelerator MBA For March 2024 Intake

News Dec 01, 2023

Work Experience and the MBA: How Much is Really Necessary?

Article Aug 30, 2011

Experience isn't just about getting into business school; it's also about getting out (with a job).

Hot Discussions