MBA or Msc in Management for Early2015 intake- Need Advise

Vbz00

I am an International Student applying for a master's programme starting in January 2015 and require your assistance in choosing a recognized MSC programme in Business Management or MBA in UK. I am 28, I have over 6 years of work experience. I am willing to change my career and would like to have an International work Experience.

After checking forums for information from students and alumni I was unable to find appropriate details- as mostly people suggests the top B-schools like Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, and other Russel group universities. And while reading university profiles on different websites and forums- which is mostly posted by university I haven't received any useful information. I also looked at different university ranking which mostly gives ranking for Undergrad.

I can only fork around GBP 11,000-14,000 towards my tuition fees. Since, the below universities fall within my budget, the question is, which university is best with regards to - Academic Reputation, Employer Reputation globally and overall good Return on Investment after the course. I am not looking for very highly paid jobs but just decent jobs.

I applied and received offers from the below universities for JAN2015-
1) Oxford Brookes- Msc in Business Management (Conditional Offer)- accredited by AMBA and CMI
2) Nottingham Trent for Msc in Management and MBA (Conditional Offer) accredited by CMI
3) Sheffield Hallam for International Business Management (Conditional Offer)

I saw that Nottingham Trent university is mentioned in QS MBA rankings in elite regional universities in UK. However it is not accredited to AMBA but I was informed that the business school is currently in last stage of the AACSB accreditation 2016. On the other hand Oxford Brookes' Msc in business management is accredited to AMBA and CMI.

Can you advise how is Nottingham Trent MBA. Does it has employer and academic reputation? They have consultancy projects and leadership workshops. I want to have an international work placement after completing the course, so just want to ensure that the course has employer reputation in UK and Europe. Which one to choose Nottingham Trent-MBA or Oxford Brookes' Msc in business management. If you can suggest any other good university that has January-Feb 2015 intake please advise.

I would greatly appreciate if you can provide guidance.
Thanks

I am an International Student applying for a master's programme starting in January 2015 and require your assistance in choosing a recognized MSC programme in Business Management or MBA in UK. I am 28, I have over 6 years of work experience. I am willing to change my career and would like to have an International work Experience.

After checking forums for information from students and alumni I was unable to find appropriate details- as mostly people suggests the top B-schools like Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, and other Russel group universities. And while reading university profiles on different websites and forums- which is mostly posted by university I haven't received any useful information. I also looked at different university ranking which mostly gives ranking for Undergrad.

I can only fork around GBP 11,000-14,000 towards my tuition fees. Since, the below universities fall within my budget, the question is, which university is best with regards to - Academic Reputation, Employer Reputation globally and overall good Return on Investment after the course. I am not looking for very highly paid jobs but just decent jobs.

1) Oxford Brookes- Msc in Business Management (Conditional Offer)- accredited by AMBA and CMI
2) Nottingham Trent for Msc in Management and MBA (Conditional Offer) accredited by CMI

I saw that Nottingham Trent university is mentioned in QS MBA rankings in elite regional universities in UK. However it is not accredited to AMBA but I was informed that the business school is currently in last stage of the AACSB accreditation 2016. On the other hand Oxford Brookes' Msc in business management is accredited to AMBA and CMI.

Can you advise how is Nottingham Trent MBA. Does it has employer and academic reputation? They have consultancy projects and leadership workshops. I want to have an international work placement after completing the course, so just want to ensure that the course has employer reputation in UK and Europe. Which one to choose Nottingham Trent-MBA or Oxford Brookes' Msc in business management. If you can suggest any other good university that has January-Feb 2015 intake please advise.

Thanks
Duncan

Try Which schools start when http://www.find-mba.com/board/41131

I can't recommend any of the schools you are considering if you want to have placement outside the UK. Study where you want to work.

Also read Do you need to speak the local language? www.find-mba.com/board/34713

Try Which schools start when http://www.find-mba.com/board/41131

I can't recommend any of the schools you are considering if you want to have placement outside the UK. Study where you want to work.

Also read Do you need to speak the local language? www.find-mba.com/board/34713
Vbz00

thanks Duncan, what I meant was If I don't get appropriate job in UK I am willing to work in other EU Country as a second option- (I will edit that as it was not clear) As almost all forums and discussions on work placements in UK states that due to changes in VISA regulations and market trends its not easy to get placed in UK. Hence I am open to work in other country as an alternative option, so want to ensure that the course has employer reputation in UK and Europe. Kindly advise on my options.

-Which one to choose Nottingham Trent-MBA or Oxford Brookes' Msc in business management. please advise.

thanks Duncan, what I meant was If I don't get appropriate job in UK I am willing to work in other EU Country as a second option- (I will edit that as it was not clear) As almost all forums and discussions on work placements in UK states that due to changes in VISA regulations and market trends its not easy to get placed in UK. Hence I am open to work in other country as an alternative option, so want to ensure that the course has employer reputation in UK and Europe. Kindly advise on my options.

-Which one to choose Nottingham Trent-MBA or Oxford Brookes' Msc in business management. please advise.
Razors Edg...

Agreed with Duncan.

Perhaps if you were doing your MBA from a school like London Business School you'd have career leverage in other western European countries, but the schools you are looking at are regional in nature and would have very, very limited career support in other countries.

Not to mention the visa concerns, as you alluded to but may be mistaken about: if you studied in the UK, there's no post-graduate visa support or conversion route for any European countries.

Agreed with Duncan.

Perhaps if you were doing your MBA from a school like London Business School you'd have career leverage in other western European countries, but the schools you are looking at are regional in nature and would have very, very limited career support in other countries.

Not to mention the visa concerns, as you alluded to but may be mistaken about: if you studied in the UK, there's no post-graduate visa support or conversion route for any European countries.
badux

Yes, the best thing for you if you are looking to work in the UK would be to wait a year and then do an accredited MBA program.

Yes, the best thing for you if you are looking to work in the UK would be to wait a year and then do an accredited MBA program.
LAX

Thanks

[quote]I am an International Student applying for a master's programme starting in January 2015 and require your assistance in choosing a recognized MSC programme in Business Management or MBA in UK. I am 28, I have over 6 years of work experience. I am willing to change my career and would like to have an International work Experience.

Thanks[/quote]
LAX

Hi,

I have just looked at your query regarding to online MBA. I personally recommend MBA course. MBA has a wider range of scope around the world specially in European countries. And this is simply you can imagine from the intensity of the course content and tuition fee. MSc is more defined in particular topic. In contrast, you will have a little option if you do not get a job on that particular qualification. On the other hand, you can employ yourself in worse scenario if you have MBA qualification. But end of the day, you have to make your own decision because you know your needs and requirements more than others.

As you mentioned on your post, online MBA will suits your individual circumstances. Alternatively, you can do full time or part time depending your time and availability. There are so many online universities in the UK. In recently, I have looked quite a few online universities mainly focusing on tuition fee, duration and assessment process. Some of the universities have mandatory written examination in specific location alike University of Nottingham. The value of the MBA and MSc qualification depends on university where you gained from if you really conscious on the job prospective. In the UK, MBA cost ranges from £6,000 to £64,000. For example, if you do MBA from London Business School, employers from various business sector start knocking your door bell from the first day. Other universities, it is really does not matter whether you pay £6,000 in London School of Business and Finance, and £19,000 in Liverpool University. Normally MBA is accredited from the same accreditation bodies. In my personal circumstances, I have chose Edinburgh Napier University for online MBA course (£7,812) which is due to start in January 2015 although I live in Nottingham. Simply this university meets the most of my requirement but it might not be the same for your case. Edinburgh Napier University is rated to sixth in Scotland.

In summary, MBA is an award no matter where you gained from unless you spend a substantial budget from a recognised business school. I preferred MBA in Nottingham rather than MSc. However, I would suggest you to consider Edinburgh Napier University in many respects if you do online MBA course.

Regards,

Lax

[Edited by LAX on Nov 08, 2014]

Hi,

I have just looked at your query regarding to online MBA. I personally recommend MBA course. MBA has a wider range of scope around the world specially in European countries. And this is simply you can imagine from the intensity of the course content and tuition fee. MSc is more defined in particular topic. In contrast, you will have a little option if you do not get a job on that particular qualification. On the other hand, you can employ yourself in worse scenario if you have MBA qualification. But end of the day, you have to make your own decision because you know your needs and requirements more than others.

As you mentioned on your post, online MBA will suits your individual circumstances. Alternatively, you can do full time or part time depending your time and availability. There are so many online universities in the UK. In recently, I have looked quite a few online universities mainly focusing on tuition fee, duration and assessment process. Some of the universities have mandatory written examination in specific location alike University of Nottingham. The value of the MBA and MSc qualification depends on university where you gained from if you really conscious on the job prospective. In the UK, MBA cost ranges from £6,000 to £64,000. For example, if you do MBA from London Business School, employers from various business sector start knocking your door bell from the first day. Other universities, it is really does not matter whether you pay £6,000 in London School of Business and Finance, and £19,000 in Liverpool University. Normally MBA is accredited from the same accreditation bodies. In my personal circumstances, I have chose Edinburgh Napier University for online MBA course (£7,812) which is due to start in January 2015 although I live in Nottingham. Simply this university meets the most of my requirement but it might not be the same for your case. Edinburgh Napier University is rated to sixth in Scotland.

In summary, MBA is an award no matter where you gained from unless you spend a substantial budget from a recognised business school. I preferred MBA in Nottingham rather than MSc. However, I would suggest you to consider Edinburgh Napier University in many respects if you do online MBA course.

Regards,

Lax

Duncan

I think there's a slight difference. An MBA from an AACSB-accredited universities that doesn't have a notable reputation with traditional MBA employers, like Liverpool or Loughborough say, will have better outcomes than private no-name schools with a fragile reputation, like LSBF. The former is a modest asset, much more modest than the extra investment in a ranked MBA or MSc, while the latter is a liability. Napier is in-between: a real, but lowly-ranked, university with strong undergraduate teaching.

I think there's a slight difference. An MBA from an AACSB-accredited universities that doesn't have a notable reputation with traditional MBA employers, like Liverpool or Loughborough say, will have better outcomes than private no-name schools with a fragile reputation, like LSBF. The former is a modest asset, much more modest than the extra investment in a ranked MBA or MSc, while the latter is a liability. Napier is in-between: a real, but lowly-ranked, university with strong undergraduate teaching.
Mamit

I believe MBA is better qualification from the global perspective as compared to MSc. But a lot depends on the university/b-school from where you are pursuing the same. Always prefer reputed and accredited programs over programs at private and lesser known institutes which make your placement chances dim.

I believe MBA is better qualification from the global perspective as compared to MSc. But a lot depends on the university/b-school from where you are pursuing the same. Always prefer reputed and accredited programs over programs at private and lesser known institutes which make your placement chances dim.
ralph

MSc is more defined in particular topic.

That's not necessarily true. Although you can do focused MSc programs, an MSc like LSE's covers the range of general management topics. Look at the core curriculum: managerial economics, organizational behavior, strategy, organization and innovation -- all of these are courses you would also expect to find in an MBA program, although perhaps looked at from a different perspective.

[quote]MSc is more defined in particular topic.[/quote]
That's not necessarily true. Although you can do focused MSc programs, an MSc like LSE's covers the range of general management topics. Look at the core curriculum: managerial economics, organizational behavior, strategy, organization and innovation -- all of these are courses you would also expect to find in an MBA program, although perhaps looked at from a different perspective.
anmolt

Hi, I have been working in an IT firm called MindShare ltd since the past three years as a senior sales manager. I have observed that most of my colleagues who have got promoted are a lot more qualified than me hence I was planning to take up my further education. But I am not sure whether to take up a Masters in Management or an MBA program. Can someone please suggest me which would be a better option for me?

Hi, I have been working in an IT firm called MindShare ltd since the past three years as a senior sales manager. I have observed that most of my colleagues who have got promoted are a lot more qualified than me hence I was planning to take up my further education. But I am not sure whether to take up a Masters in Management or an MBA program. Can someone please suggest me which would be a better option for me?
sanas1234

I have been an education consultant for the past 12 years and I have observed that many students get confused between Masters and MBA. Keeping in mind that you have 3 years of work experience, I would suggest you to take up an MBA program rather than a Masters in management. Let me start with telling you the basic difference between MBA and Msc in Management:
MBA programs are dominated by what is referred to as `case studies', real-world examples of business issues or problems that students are expected to explore, discuss and reflect on in small groups or `syndicates' of fellow students. While on the other hand, Msc has a very traditional approach and provides mainly theoretical knowledge.
Most importantly, Msc in Management is ideally for students with no work experience, and MBA is for students with minimum 3 years of work experience as MBA concepts are a lot higher, one needs to have some kind of work experience to relate to what is being taught.
Regards,
Sana Sandhu,
Edumentor

I have been an education consultant for the past 12 years and I have observed that many students get confused between Masters and MBA. Keeping in mind that you have 3 years of work experience, I would suggest you to take up an MBA program rather than a Masters in management. Let me start with telling you the basic difference between MBA and Msc in Management:
MBA programs are dominated by what is referred to as `case studies', real-world examples of business issues or problems that students are expected to explore, discuss and reflect on in small groups or `syndicates' of fellow students. While on the other hand, Msc has a very traditional approach and provides mainly theoretical knowledge.
Most importantly, Msc in Management is ideally for students with no work experience, and MBA is for students with minimum 3 years of work experience as MBA concepts are a lot higher, one needs to have some kind of work experience to relate to what is being taught.
Regards,
Sana Sandhu,
Edumentor
anmolt

While recruiting, which of the two degrees is proffered by most of the companies?

While recruiting, which of the two degrees is proffered by most of the companies?
sanas1234

An MBA degree has any day more value than an Msc degree. MBA degree testifies that you are ready for the industry. HRs all across the world are aware how advance an MBA program is as compared to a regular masters program.
Regards,
Sana Sandhu,
Edumentor

An MBA degree has any day more value than an Msc degree. MBA degree testifies that you are ready for the industry. HRs all across the world are aware how advance an MBA program is as compared to a regular masters program.
Regards,
Sana Sandhu,
Edumentor
anmolt

I wasn’t aware of the drastic difference between the two degrees. Can you please suggest me some goof MBA colleges abroad?

I wasn’t aware of the drastic difference between the two degrees. Can you please suggest me some goof MBA colleges abroad?
sanas1234

According to me Nanyang and Melbourne school of business and INSEAD have one the best MBA programs.
Regards,
Sana Sandhu,
Edumentor

[Edited by sanas1234 on Nov 25, 2014]

According to me Nanyang and Melbourne school of business and INSEAD have one the best MBA programs.
Regards,
Sana Sandhu,
Edumentor
anmolt

Thank you so much! I have a lot better perspective now!

Thank you so much! I have a lot better perspective now!
sanas1234

You are welcome. All the best ?
Regards,
Sana Sandhu,
Edumentor

You are welcome. All the best ?
Regards,
Sana Sandhu,
Edumentor

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Oxford, United Kingdom 10 Followers 37 Discussions