MBA in UK - 2016

Raj_mba

Hello,

I am planning to pursue an MBA from one of the top universities in UK, in FY 2016. I am based in India currently and have a Master's degree in Electronics Engineering (First class with distinction - 8.9 CGPA) plus 9 years of work experience in the IT industry (Insurance & Finance systems domain). I am interested in moving into a management/business consultant role and aspire to work in the UK post MBA.

I need your help/guidance in zeroing in on a University(s), that offers good industry connect and practical teaching programs (rather than purely academic ones).

Could you please advise me as to what options do I have? Is it reasonable for me to consider UK as a learning destination and perhaps a place to work/continue my career thereafter? What are the job prospects post MBA in the UK and what would be the average salaries post graduation?

Awaiting your response.

[Edited by Raj_mba on Feb 06, 2015]

Hello,

I am planning to pursue an MBA from one of the top universities in UK, in FY 2016. I am based in India currently and have a Master's degree in Electronics Engineering (First class with distinction - 8.9 CGPA) plus 9 years of work experience in the IT industry (Insurance & Finance systems domain). I am interested in moving into a management/business consultant role and aspire to work in the UK post MBA.

I need your help/guidance in zeroing in on a University(s), that offers good industry connect and practical teaching programs (rather than purely academic ones).

Could you please advise me as to what options do I have? Is it reasonable for me to consider UK as a learning destination and perhaps a place to work/continue my career thereafter? What are the job prospects post MBA in the UK and what would be the average salaries post graduation?

Awaiting your response.
Duncan

Take a look at http://board.find-mba.com/general-forum/best-schools-for-international-students-placement-35651

Take a look at http://board.find-mba.com/general-forum/best-schools-for-international-students-placement-35651
Raj_mba

Thanks Duncan.

I have just had a look at the list (FT ranking 2015) and have compared it with your data, for picking out the best for international students. I am more interested in the "Strathclyde Business School" for two reasons.

1) It doesn't have a high ranking, doesn't need a GMAT score as entry requirement but still manages to provide over 92% placement record for its students. How is this possible?
2) If it really is a good business school, then it will be advantageous for me as I have an Uncle who resides in Glasgow and I could save a bit on my living expenses :)

Please advise.

[Edited by Raj_mba on Feb 02, 2015]

Thanks Duncan.

I have just had a look at the list (FT ranking 2015) and have compared it with your data, for picking out the best for international students. I am more interested in the "Strathclyde Business School" for two reasons.

1) It doesn't have a high ranking, doesn't need a GMAT score as entry requirement but still manages to provide over 92% placement record for its students. How is this possible?
2) If it really is a good business school, then it will be advantageous for me as I have an Uncle who resides in Glasgow and I could save a bit on my living expenses :)

Please advise.
Duncan

Hi Raj.

Strathclyde selects high-quality students, and they expect lower salaries than GMAT schools, so they are able to get good placement. You'll get a better outcome with a higher-ranked school that needs the GMAT. See: Why you should take the GMAT http://www.find-mba.com/board/38939

Hi Raj.

Strathclyde selects high-quality students, and they expect lower salaries than GMAT schools, so they are able to get good placement. You'll get a better outcome with a higher-ranked school that needs the GMAT. See: Why you should take the GMAT http://www.find-mba.com/board/38939
Raj_mba

Thanks Duncan. I'll be taking up GMAT and will be opting for the top schools as well.
However, in the worst case scenario, in case I do not get admission in any of the top MBA programs, with my current academic record (in my original post) what are my chances of getting an unconditional offer from Strathclyde business school? (I'm sure, I'll do well in IELTS - with a minimum of 7.0).

Please advise.

Thanks Duncan. I'll be taking up GMAT and will be opting for the top schools as well.
However, in the worst case scenario, in case I do not get admission in any of the top MBA programs, with my current academic record (in my original post) what are my chances of getting an unconditional offer from Strathclyde business school? (I'm sure, I'll do well in IELTS - with a minimum of 7.0).

Please advise.
Duncan

I think you;d stand a good chance, but your profile in the IT industry is not very rare. You have a lot of work experience, but some people in IT don't have a lot of variety or leadership experience. If you apply early, you stand a good chance.

I think you;d stand a good chance, but your profile in the IT industry is not very rare. You have a lot of work experience, but some people in IT don't have a lot of variety or leadership experience. If you apply early, you stand a good chance.
Raj_mba

On the contrary Duncan, I am in a managerial position for the past 3 years, managing large projects. Have planned projects, defining goals, schedule, scope / deliverables, and budget with values of $15 million. I have worked on Agile projects, am a certified Scrum Master etc ... Do you think any of this will be useful information, that the business school would like to see, before considering my case?

On the contrary Duncan, I am in a managerial position for the past 3 years, managing large projects. Have planned projects, defining goals, schedule, scope / deliverables, and budget with values of $15 million. I have worked on Agile projects, am a certified Scrum Master etc ... Do you think any of this will be useful information, that the business school would like to see, before considering my case?
Duncan

That is useful.

That is useful.
masgus

i would like to see also the possibility of post work study, seeing from this article : "Visa issues can complicate matters for students who are not UK or EU residents, but who want to stay and work in the country after graduation. Unlike in other countries, such as Canada, the UK does not offer any automatic post-study visa where grads can look for work after they finish their MBA. Instead, they need to have a job lined up with an employer who is willing to sponsor their visa.

“I think that's a lesson for anyone coming to the UK for an MBA,” Kirkup says. “It’s difficult, yes, it's very competitive, and they mustn’t assume that they can stay.”

i would like to see also the possibility of post work study, seeing from this article : "Visa issues can complicate matters for students who are not UK or EU residents, but who want to stay and work in the country after graduation. Unlike in other countries, such as Canada, the UK does not offer any automatic post-study visa where grads can look for work after they finish their MBA. Instead, they need to have a job lined up with an employer who is willing to sponsor their visa.

“I think that's a lesson for anyone coming to the UK for an MBA,” Kirkup says. “It’s difficult, yes, it's very competitive, and they mustn’t assume that they can stay.”
Duncan

I don't understand what you are asking.

PS. Although the UK does not have a guaranteed work permit scheme, students can get work permits once they have job offers. That means that UK MBA remains among the most effective routes for students looking to work in another country: Best schools for international students' placement http://www.find-mba.com/board/41143

Unlike Canada, the salary minimum for MBA work permits means that those who find work in the UK move into MBA-type roles with good salaries. The rankings show much lower salaries for MBA graduates in Canada: perhaps that is because some students are taking more junior roles.

[Edited by Duncan on Mar 15, 2015]

I don't understand what you are asking.

PS. Although the UK does not have a guaranteed work permit scheme, students can get work permits once they have job offers. That means that UK MBA remains among the most effective routes for students looking to work in another country: Best schools for international students' placement http://www.find-mba.com/board/41143

Unlike Canada, the salary minimum for MBA work permits means that those who find work in the UK move into MBA-type roles with good salaries. The rankings show much lower salaries for MBA graduates in Canada: perhaps that is because some students are taking more junior roles.
Razors Edg...

In Canada, anybody who finishes a master's degree can get a work visa. I think it's at least one year, if not two, and isn't dependent on having a job. Grads can use this time to look for work, and they do not need a company to sponsor their visa.

The UK has no similar scheme. Many non-EU/UK grads are able to stay though, after securing a job. Your success would depend on a number of factors, including the quality of your MBA program's career service (a ranked school like LBS or Cranfield, etc., would have more employer connections and brand awareness than a no-name school, for instance...) as well as what steps you take during the program to get a job.

It is competitive, but not impossible.

In Canada, anybody who finishes a master's degree can get a work visa. I think it's at least one year, if not two, and isn't dependent on having a job. Grads can use this time to look for work, and they do not need a company to sponsor their visa.

The UK has no similar scheme. Many non-EU/UK grads are able to stay though, after securing a job. Your success would depend on a number of factors, including the quality of your MBA program's career service (a ranked school like LBS or Cranfield, etc., would have more employer connections and brand awareness than a no-name school, for instance...) as well as what steps you take during the program to get a job.

It is competitive, but not impossible.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Glasgow, United Kingdom 53 Followers 475 Discussions

Other Related Content

UK Visa Issues: Staying in the Country After an MBA

Article Nov 24, 2015

Experts predicted in 2012 that the UK's stricter post-study visa requirements would discourage international students from applying to British schools. Three years later, have those predictions come true?

Hot Discussions