MBA from Mid-tier University VS MsC/MiM from Top tier University

John36

Hey everyone,

I'm an American applying to graduate programs specifically in the UK and wanted to get your opinion. I have a total of 8 years work experience (5 in Sales and 3.5 years running my own photography/advertising company). I'm looking to get into consulting and eventually non-profits with an international focus. I'm looking to live in the UK, Berlin, Amsterdam, Lisbon, China, Japan, Brazil, NY, Chicago,or LA. I'm pretty open.

My educational background consist of a 3.6 GPA (UK upper class) from a mid-tier university in Chicago. No GMAT.

I'm going to be applying to several MBA programs (Holloway, Lancaster, Strath, Durham, Henley, Edinburgh, and maybe one more). What are your takes on these universities as far as:
1.) Job Placement.
2.) Corporate Connections (internationally)
3.) Career growth & change
4.) Scholarships
5.) Salary

In addition, what are your thoughts on receiving a Masters in Management from a top-tier university (UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, Kings, etc) vs an MBA from the other schools listed above? Consider the categories I mentioned. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I'm an American applying to graduate programs specifically in the UK and wanted to get your opinion. I have a total of 8 years work experience (5 in Sales and 3.5 years running my own photography/advertising company). I'm looking to get into consulting and eventually non-profits with an international focus. I'm looking to live in the UK, Berlin, Amsterdam, Lisbon, China, Japan, Brazil, NY, Chicago,or LA. I'm pretty open.

My educational background consist of a 3.6 GPA (UK upper class) from a mid-tier university in Chicago. No GMAT.

I'm going to be applying to several MBA programs (Holloway, Lancaster, Strath, Durham, Henley, Edinburgh, and maybe one more). What are your takes on these universities as far as:
1.) Job Placement.
2.) Corporate Connections (internationally)
3.) Career growth & change
4.) Scholarships
5.) Salary

In addition, what are your thoughts on receiving a Masters in Management from a top-tier university (UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, Kings, etc) vs an MBA from the other schools listed above? Consider the categories I mentioned. Thanks!
Mamit

Well I believe if you are looking for a career in consulting LBS fits in the best. In addition you can also explore Durham & Lancaster. These will also offer you international mobility.

Well I believe if you are looking for a career in consulting LBS fits in the best. In addition you can also explore Durham & Lancaster. These will also offer you international mobility.
Duncan

In this context, neither UCL nor King's are top-tier. Study where you want to work. Other than LBS or Oxbridge, none of the UK MBAs can really give you much mobility outside the UK.

In this context, neither UCL nor King's are top-tier. Study where you want to work. Other than LBS or Oxbridge, none of the UK MBAs can really give you much mobility outside the UK.
John36

thanks guys. I know LBS Gives me a great shot in achieving my goals and I am applying there as well. However in an event I'm not accepted, I want to know if any one of my other selections will pave similar paths.

Also, why wouldn't other UK MBAs give me internationally mobility?

[quote][/quote] thanks guys. I know LBS Gives me a great shot in achieving my goals and I am applying there as well. However in an event I'm not accepted, I want to know if any one of my other selections will pave similar paths.

Inactive User

I know LBS Gives me a great shot in achieving my goals and I am applying there as well.

Not sure how you'll be able to apply to LBS without a GMAT score.

In general with these management degrees, you should study where you want to work; the business schools' career services departments are usually geared towards local placements. The larger, top-tier schools with the wider networks are much more effective for international placements. You can sort through The FT's MIM and MBA rankings in terms of international mobility, which gives a good indication of how well a school does in terms of this.

Not surprisingly, given the size of the alumni networks and its reputation among recruiters, LBS comes out on top in terms of UK schools in each ranking. It really excels here. Other UK programs that are ranked highly in terms of international mobility are these:

Cranfield MBA
Oxford or Cambridge MBA
Manchester MBA
Cass MSc
Imperial MSc

Strathcylde also shows up highly in both categories... My sense is that this is due to its success in helping international students land jobs in Scotland, although somebody else may want to comment on this school specifically.

[quote]I know LBS Gives me a great shot in achieving my goals and I am applying there as well. [/quote]
Not sure how you'll be able to apply to LBS without a GMAT score.

[quote]Also, why wouldn't other UK MBAs give me internationally mobility?[/quote]
In general with these management degrees, you should study where you want to work; the business schools' career services departments are usually geared towards local placements. The larger, top-tier schools with the wider networks are much more effective for international placements. You can sort through The FT's MIM and MBA rankings in terms of international mobility, which gives a good indication of how well a school does in terms of this.

Not surprisingly, given the size of the alumni networks and its reputation among recruiters, LBS comes out on top in terms of UK schools in each ranking. It really excels here. Other UK programs that are ranked highly in terms of international mobility are these:

Cranfield MBA
Oxford or Cambridge MBA
Manchester MBA
Cass MSc
Imperial MSc

Strathcylde also shows up highly in both categories... My sense is that this is due to its success in helping international students land jobs in Scotland, although somebody else may want to comment on this school specifically.

Cass MSc
Imperial MSc

How would you compare these two MSc programs? Are they comparable?

[quote]
Cass MSc
Imperial MSc[/quote]
How would you compare these two MSc programs? Are they comparable?
Duncan

They are compared in detail by the FT rankings.

They are compared in detail by the FT rankings.
talal007

So which program can boost more towards career progression? An MBA from a Mid tier or an Msc management from a top-tier?

So which program can boost more towards career progression? An MBA from a Mid tier or an Msc management from a top-tier?
Duncan

It's a false question. If you are the sort of candidate that will be admitted to one, then you won't get admitted to the other. The three year work experience is a clear cut-off.

If it were possible, then it would come down to the person's specific goals and career history.

It's a false question. If you are the sort of candidate that will be admitted to one, then you won't get admitted to the other. The three year work experience is a clear cut-off.

If it were possible, then it would come down to the person's specific goals and career history.
talal007

I think an MBA from even a Mid-Tier University like Birmingham, Ottawa, Glasgow or HHL would have a slight edge over a Masters in Management from, lets say UCL, Imperial, Cass, Mannheim or ANU especially for someone with non-business backgrounds i.e Engineering.

However, a lot of this depends on the employer too. Chances are, most firm would be more aware or concerned about the Institute name rather than the context of the program. So it's better to apply at both ends and make a calculated decision once you have few offers at hand.

I think an MBA from even a Mid-Tier University like Birmingham, Ottawa, Glasgow or HHL would have a slight edge over a Masters in Management from, lets say UCL, Imperial, Cass, Mannheim or ANU especially for someone with non-business backgrounds i.e Engineering.

However, a lot of this depends on the employer too. Chances are, most firm would be more aware or concerned about the Institute name rather than the context of the program. So it's better to apply at both ends and make a calculated decision once you have few offers at hand.
maury

However, a lot of this depends on the employer too. Chances are, most firm would be more aware or concerned about the Institute name rather than the context of the program.

Agreed. But in the end it's about more than the institute's name: it's about which institutions invest in having the relationships with the best recruiters.

That's why pre-application networking and research is so important: you can figure out which schools actually have decent relationships with recruiters, and if they actually place people in the firms where you want to work. Along these lines, Duncan's LinkedIn method is a good place to start:

http://find-mba.com/board/general-forum/how-to-use-linkedin-to-find-the-best-school-28559

[quote]
However, a lot of this depends on the employer too. Chances are, most firm would be more aware or concerned about the Institute name rather than the context of the program. [/quote]
Agreed. But in the end it's about more than the institute's name: it's about which institutions invest in having the relationships with the best recruiters.

That's why pre-application networking and research is so important: you can figure out which schools actually have decent relationships with recruiters, and if they actually place people in the firms where you want to work. Along these lines, Duncan's LinkedIn method is a good place to start:

http://find-mba.com/board/general-forum/how-to-use-linkedin-to-find-the-best-school-28559

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Oxford, United Kingdom 70 Followers 278 Discussions
Cambridge, United Kingdom 53 Followers 290 Discussions
Manchester, United Kingdom 65 Followers 515 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 4 Followers 29 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

Master in Management Programs Versus MBAs

Article Apr 02, 2013

Want to study business, but don't have work experience? An MSc or MiM might be right for you

Hot Discussions