Lancaster or Strathclyde?

crossfire

Hi,

I received acceptances from Durham, Lancaster and Strathclyde. I rejected Durham because of the course given to me.

Though Strathclyde doesnt seem to be popular it had better rankings but everyone seems to suggest Lancaster as it is "in a big city and not as dead and cold as Starthclyde" (not my words).

I would like to have an opinion on the living conditions of both the cities and which one is better in terms of entertainment and connectivity (to London probably?), because the standard of education seems to be more or less the same.

Please help!!

P.S- Strathclyde: MSc. in Supply Chain & Operations Management
Lancaster: MSc. in Supply Chain & Logistics

Hi,

I received acceptances from Durham, Lancaster and Strathclyde. I rejected Durham because of the course given to me.

Though Strathclyde doesnt seem to be popular it had better rankings but everyone seems to suggest Lancaster as it is "in a big city and not as dead and cold as Starthclyde" (not my words).

I would like to have an opinion on the living conditions of both the cities and which one is better in terms of entertainment and connectivity (to London probably?), because the standard of education seems to be more or less the same.

Please help!!

P.S- Strathclyde: MSc. in Supply Chain & Operations Management
Lancaster: MSc. in Supply Chain & Logistics
Duncan

Why bother mentioning the courses if you the choice is fundamentally about lifestyle?

Why bother mentioning the courses if you the choice is fundamentally about lifestyle?
crossfire

Let me assure you that the course is the topmost priority, and the basis on which I rejected Durham without a second thought as I got through the MSc. in Management there. I'm sure you can make out that my interest lay all along in Supply Chain and it took me a lot of hard work to dig these courses out, sifting through various colleges along the way.

However, now that it is narrowed down to 2 places, ranking almost the same, both offering me a course I have wanted for the past 2 yrs now, I feel that I need to make a lifestyle choice.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong when I say that it is natural for 22 year old girls to bother just a little bit about their social lives.

Let me assure you that the course is the topmost priority, and the basis on which I rejected Durham without a second thought as I got through the MSc. in Management there. I'm sure you can make out that my interest lay all along in Supply Chain and it took me a lot of hard work to dig these courses out, sifting through various colleges along the way.

However, now that it is narrowed down to 2 places, ranking almost the same, both offering me a course I have wanted for the past 2 yrs now, I feel that I need to make a lifestyle choice.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong when I say that it is natural for 22 year old girls to bother just a little bit about their social lives.
donho199

Why the hell you do a Master after another? Just spend a gap year enjoying your life

Why the hell you do a Master after another? Just spend a gap year enjoying your life
crossfire

Thank you for your valuable comments. They have been extremely helpful.

Thank you for your valuable comments. They have been extremely helpful.
ralph

I think it's a valid question, although I'd frame it differently. crossfire, would you be planning on trying to find work in the respective regions after graduation? Or trying to find work in London?

I wouldn't say that Glasgow is "cold and dead;" it is, in fact, one of the economic hubs of Scotland. If you're looking to make industry connections in the region, that's the place to go. In terms of nightlife, if that's what you're looking for - you'll probably find a range of options. But it's still no London or Paris.

Lancaster's in relative proximity to military and air bases, so there's a burgeoning defense industry that could be tapped into for networking by a motivated business school student. There's an energy industry there as well. As for social life, I think you'll find that it's pretty student-centric, so there are great bars and clubs but they tend to shut down in the summertime.

If I were you I'd try talking to current students there and ask them what they think.

I think it's a valid question, although I'd frame it differently. crossfire, would you be planning on trying to find work in the respective regions after graduation? Or trying to find work in London?

I wouldn't say that Glasgow is "cold and dead;" it is, in fact, one of the economic hubs of Scotland. If you're looking to make industry connections in the region, that's the place to go. In terms of nightlife, if that's what you're looking for - you'll probably find a range of options. But it's still no London or Paris.

Lancaster's in relative proximity to military and air bases, so there's a burgeoning defense industry that could be tapped into for networking by a motivated business school student. There's an energy industry there as well. As for social life, I think you'll find that it's pretty student-centric, so there are great bars and clubs but they tend to shut down in the summertime.

If I were you I'd try talking to current students there and ask them what they think.
crossfire

Thank you Ralph, this is exactly the kind of opinion I was looking for.

I have some health issues that prevent me from being able to sustain myself in extremely cold conditions, cold + wet is more or less a bane.

I have a well established business and I will be in charge of the logistics department, so no, I am not looking for any jobs in the UK, just want to get a good idea of the Supply Chain theoretically. Networking is always great, of course.

You have been extremely kind and helpful, I thank you once again for taking out time for such a detailed reply and excellent advice!

=)

Thank you Ralph, this is exactly the kind of opinion I was looking for.

I have some health issues that prevent me from being able to sustain myself in extremely cold conditions, cold + wet is more or less a bane.

I have a well established business and I will be in charge of the logistics department, so no, I am not looking for any jobs in the UK, just want to get a good idea of the Supply Chain theoretically. Networking is always great, of course.

You have been extremely kind and helpful, I thank you once again for taking out time for such a detailed reply and excellent advice!

=)
Duncan

Personally, I would choose Lancaster: you'll leave with a much stronger network from a compact, collegiate campus; the education and facilities will be better; the reputation is slightly stronger (http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/business-school-university-ranking-in-united-kingdom.html). If you have pretty typical interests then a big campus will have a fine cultural life: if you have some specific niche interests like tango or opera, then a big city will be better. Lancaster is just 11 minutes by bus from the campus, and that's a modestly busy city with 130,000 people.

Personally, I would choose Lancaster: you'll leave with a much stronger network from a compact, collegiate campus; the education and facilities will be better; the reputation is slightly stronger (http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/business-school-university-ranking-in-united-kingdom.html). If you have pretty typical interests then a big campus will have a fine cultural life: if you have some specific niche interests like tango or opera, then a big city will be better. Lancaster is just 11 minutes by bus from the campus, and that's a modestly busy city with 130,000 people.
Duncan

They are both cold and wet places. Why not take the MIT programme in Zaragosa? Or at least go on the east side of the UK, where it's dry. Nottingham has a lovely climate. London and Birmingham and quite mild.

They are both cold and wet places. Why not take the MIT programme in Zaragosa? Or at least go on the east side of the UK, where it's dry. Nottingham has a lovely climate. London and Birmingham and quite mild.
crossfire

Thank you Duncan, I wish I knew about the MIT Zargosa course before applying to other colleges, it looks perfect. Sadly, I don't qualify as they require a 4 year bachelor's course, mine was merely 3. Also, its too late for this year's admissions. I shall keep it in mind for any further education I might want to pursue in this subject.

Lack of Shipping and Supply Chain courses kept me away from East UK, though initially I was quite interested in Cass and Southampton Solent for their Shipping Courses, over a period of time I realized Supply Chain is my main focus area.

Lancaster sounds perfect, the only reason why I was slightly confused is because this table http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-business-management-studies?fb=native showed Strathclyde at 7 and Lancaster at 10. Though now, admittedly, Lancaster does seem more attractive.

Thank you for your invaluable input. Both you and Ralph have helped me make a very difficult decision!

^_^

Thank you Duncan, I wish I knew about the MIT Zargosa course before applying to other colleges, it looks perfect. Sadly, I don't qualify as they require a 4 year bachelor's course, mine was merely 3. Also, its too late for this year's admissions. I shall keep it in mind for any further education I might want to pursue in this subject.

Lack of Shipping and Supply Chain courses kept me away from East UK, though initially I was quite interested in Cass and Southampton Solent for their Shipping Courses, over a period of time I realized Supply Chain is my main focus area.

Lancaster sounds perfect, the only reason why I was slightly confused is because this table http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-business-management-studies?fb=native showed Strathclyde at 7 and Lancaster at 10. Though now, admittedly, Lancaster does seem more attractive.

Thank you for your invaluable input. Both you and Ralph have helped me make a very difficult decision!

^_^
Duncan

That is and undergraduate ranking and reflects the generous funding for undergrad courses in Scotland. But compare the employment statistics! At the postgrad level, i don't think such similar undergraduate scores would make a meaningful impact.

That is and undergraduate ranking and reflects the generous funding for undergrad courses in Scotland. But compare the employment statistics! At the postgrad level, i don't think such similar undergraduate scores would make a meaningful impact.
crossfire

Thank you! Lancaster it is! =)

Thank you! Lancaster it is! =)
maubia

Hi,
sorry to bother your thread crossfire but.. how is recognized Cranfield (SOM) in term of supply chain management?

http://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/p2172/Programmes-and-Executive-Development/MSc/Full-time-MSc-in-Logistics-and-Supply-Chain-Management

Hi,
sorry to bother your thread crossfire but.. how is recognized Cranfield (SOM) in term of supply chain management?

http://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/p2172/Programmes-and-Executive-Development/MSc/Full-time-MSc-in-Logistics-and-Supply-Chain-Management
Duncan

It's excellent!

It's excellent!
crossfire

Hi maubia,

It is one of the best schools in the world, and this Supply Chain course seems to be the oldest amongst all the other universities. I'm sure its top notch. The best, even.

Good luck!

Hi maubia,

It is one of the best schools in the world, and this Supply Chain course seems to be the oldest amongst all the other universities. I'm sure its top notch. The best, even.

Good luck!
Mamit

No Doubt Cranfield is among the best ones in the UK. When it comes to choose among Lancaster and Strathclyde, I would recommend Lancaster over Strathclyde, but if you are concern about the cold etc i would suggest you must look for universities down south near London.
Mamit

No Doubt Cranfield is among the best ones in the UK. When it comes to choose among Lancaster and Strathclyde, I would recommend Lancaster over Strathclyde, but if you are concern about the cold etc i would suggest you must look for universities down south near London.
Mamit
crossfire

Thank You Manmit, your views have been helpful in the extreme!

Thank You Manmit, your views have been helpful in the extreme!

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Glasgow, United Kingdom 53 Followers 475 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 53 Followers 175 Discussions
Bedford, United Kingdom 44 Followers 413 Discussions
Lancaster, United Kingdom 26 Followers 335 Discussions
Durham, United Kingdom 74 Followers 400 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024