Full Time MBA in UK in Fall 2011

prithwish

I am a B.E. in Electrical Engineering (2008 batch) from Jadavpur University, Kolkata. I am working in Calcutta Electric Suplly Corporation (CESC) Ltd. since July, 2008 where my role is to lead a team of assistant engineers, supervisors, workmen and contractual employees in carrying out breakdown/ maintainance/ augmentation of electric network in the twin cities of Kolkata and Howrah.

I am interested in pursuing an MBA course in the UK in Fall 2011. My preffered Universities are:
Durham University
Bradford University
Aston University
Strathclyde University
University of Bath
Leeds University
Please comment on my choices. Presently I have 2 years work experience and I will be applying to these Universities in October 2010. So I will not be having the mandatory 3 years work experience at the time I apply, but the same criteria will be fulfilled by the time I join the course (Septemeber, 2011). Howmuch will that prove to be a deterrent in my application?

I am planning to give my GMAT and IELTS this August. Howmuch GMAT score do I need for this Universities with this job profile and what are the chances of securing a scholarship?

Waiting eagerly for your replies...

I am a B.E. in Electrical Engineering (2008 batch) from Jadavpur University, Kolkata. I am working in Calcutta Electric Suplly Corporation (CESC) Ltd. since July, 2008 where my role is to lead a team of assistant engineers, supervisors, workmen and contractual employees in carrying out breakdown/ maintainance/ augmentation of electric network in the twin cities of Kolkata and Howrah.

I am interested in pursuing an MBA course in the UK in Fall 2011. My preffered Universities are:
Durham University
Bradford University
Aston University
Strathclyde University
University of Bath
Leeds University
Please comment on my choices. Presently I have 2 years work experience and I will be applying to these Universities in October 2010. So I will not be having the mandatory 3 years work experience at the time I apply, but the same criteria will be fulfilled by the time I join the course (Septemeber, 2011). Howmuch will that prove to be a deterrent in my application?

I am planning to give my GMAT and IELTS this August. Howmuch GMAT score do I need for this Universities with this job profile and what are the chances of securing a scholarship?

susee

Howmuch will that prove to be a deterrent in my application? I am planning to give my GMAT and IELTS this August. Howmuch GMAT score do I need for this Universities with this job profile and what are the chances of securing a scholarship? Waiting eagerly for your replies...

http://www.topmba.com/school_profile/durham-business-school-durham-university/
http://www.topmba.com/school_profile/bradford-university-school-of-management/

look in the same sites....

Howmuch will that prove to be a deterrent in my application? I am planning to give my GMAT and IELTS this August. Howmuch GMAT score do I need for this Universities with this job profile and what are the chances of securing a scholarship? Waiting eagerly for your replies...

http://www.topmba.com/school_profile/durham-business-school-durham-university/
http://www.topmba.com/school_profile/bradford-university-school-of-management/

look in the same sites....
fishball

Who are you planning to give your GMAT and IELTS to this August? I would guess you would give them to the schools that you're applying - if in that case, you should give them a good score, try aiming for 700 at least. Chances are you might be able to win a scholarship then.

Though I'm not sure whether any of the applications are open by August. I would suggest that you give your GMAT/IELTS to the schools with your application.

I've heard of Strathclyde before - sad to say, the student quality was somewhat lacking (a former colleague attended Strathclyde). I'm not sure whether it will help you achieve your post-MBA goals.

<blockquote>

Waiting eagerly for your replies...</blockquote>

Who are you planning to give your GMAT and IELTS to this August? I would guess you would give them to the schools that you're applying - if in that case, you should give them a good score, try aiming for 700 at least. Chances are you might be able to win a scholarship then.

Though I'm not sure whether any of the applications are open by August. I would suggest that you give your GMAT/IELTS to the schools with your application.

I've heard of Strathclyde before - sad to say, the student quality was somewhat lacking (a former colleague attended Strathclyde). I'm not sure whether it will help you achieve your post-MBA goals.
prithwish

Come on people. Please help me out

I contacted Leeds, Exeter, Nottingham and Glasgow and they are saying that they need 3 years work exp. at the time I apply.

Aston says they need 3 years work ex. by the time I join.

I'm terribly confused.

Come on people. Please help me out

I contacted Leeds, Exeter, Nottingham and Glasgow and they are saying that they need 3 years work exp. at the time I apply.

Aston says they need 3 years work ex. by the time I join.

I'm terribly confused.
fly2suresh

Hello,

The univ's which u have mentioned all those needs mim 3 yrs work exp at the time of applying to the university and not at the time of joining .

Only if univ asks than u need to have Gmat r esle its not required.

All u need to have is 3 yrs work exp good degree and IELTS mim 7.0 with no subbands less than 6.5

if u have any more Q's ur most welcome to email me [email protected]

Cheers

Hello,

The univ's which u have mentioned all those needs mim 3 yrs work exp at the time of applying to the university and not at the time of joining .

Only if univ asks than u need to have Gmat r esle its not required.

All u need to have is 3 yrs work exp good degree and IELTS mim 7.0 with no subbands less than 6.5

if u have any more Q's ur most welcome to email me [email protected]

Cheers
prit

I gave my GMAT this August and scored 720 (AWA: 6.0), I have already applied to Lancaster, Durham, Strathclyde, Bradford and Manchester.

I gave my GMAT this August and scored 720 (AWA: 6.0), I have already applied to Lancaster, Durham, Strathclyde, Bradford and Manchester.
Akii

Hi i am planning to join in 2011 Fall. My score is not that high. Gmat 560 but have 6 years of solid expereince. As far the disscussions i have had with the admission officers, i think i can get in easily.

My only concern is Scholarship / lOan. btw if u are planning for USA, do check out Hult Business school. i am going to apply there too.

Hi i am planning to join in 2011 Fall. My score is not that high. Gmat 560 but have 6 years of solid expereince. As far the disscussions i have had with the admission officers, i think i can get in easily.

My only concern is Scholarship / lOan. btw if u are planning for USA, do check out Hult Business school. i am going to apply there too.
Akii

Ok just read your GMAT score...Good one!

Best of luck!

Ok just read your GMAT score...Good one!

Best of luck!
dsaynt

@Akii What BS did you apply to?

@Akii What BS did you apply to?
Akii

well for now i have narrowed down to 3 schools:
1. Hult will be my 1st option as i really like the program and after speaking to alumnis, i really wanna go there.
2. Aston
3. Schulich school of busines (canada)
4. Birmingham

any suggestions?

well for now i have narrowed down to 3 schools:
1. Hult will be my 1st option as i really like the program and after speaking to alumnis, i really wanna go there.
2. Aston
3. Schulich school of busines (canada)
4. Birmingham

any suggestions?
dsaynt

@Akii, I don't know much about Hult and Schulich but Aston and birmingham are good schools though Aston has an edge because it has triple accreditation.You can also look at Durham. These 3 are ranked about the same.

@Akii, I don't know much about Hult and Schulich but Aston and birmingham are good schools though Aston has an edge because it has triple accreditation.You can also look at Durham. These 3 are ranked about the same.
Akii

Thanks!

Are u planing to aplly only in UK? which other schools are u applyin to?

Thanks!

Are u planing to aplly only in UK? which other schools are u applyin to?
dsaynt

@Akii,
As of now, I'm thinking of the UK only. This is due the one year programmes run in the UK as opposed to the US. The few european schools that i would consider going to has very high and stringent entry requirements e.g INSEAD etc.
Also looking at business related oppurtunities I think the UK are better than schools in Europe

@Akii,
As of now, I'm thinking of the UK only. This is due the one year programmes run in the UK as opposed to the US. The few european schools that i would consider going to has very high and stringent entry requirements e.g INSEAD etc.
Also looking at business related oppurtunities I think the UK are better than schools in Europe
Evan2007

> "Also looking at business related oppurtunities I think the UK are better than schools in Europe "

What makes you think that?

> "Also looking at business related oppurtunities I think the UK are better than schools in Europe "

What makes you think that?
dsaynt

@Evan2007.
Well it's based on the fact that there are more highly ranked business schools in the UK than there are in europe...these then makes for school to business collaboration much more rampant. With such link ups its easier for students to get consultancies and job oppurtunities. Thats not to say that such oppurtunities are not available in europe, its just that they are easier in the UK.

@Evan2007.
Well it's based on the fact that there are more highly ranked business schools in the UK than there are in europe...these then makes for school to business collaboration much more rampant. With such link ups its easier for students to get consultancies and job oppurtunities. Thats not to say that such oppurtunities are not available in europe, its just that they are easier in the UK.
som_11_10

Hello...I am also applying for MBA in UK in Fall 2011...I have not given the GMAT since I have been in onsite projects for the past 2 years continuously....As far I know..schools like Extetr , Glasgow , Birmingham , New Castle , Leeds , Bradford dont have a criteria for a mandatory GMAT at the time of application....I have 3.5 years of exprience most which has been spread accrosss 3 different couuntries...But I heard comments from few of the schools as my expreince based on no. is much lower than the average class exprience of most of these schools...Any comments..thoughts on that ?

Hello...I am also applying for MBA in UK in Fall 2011...I have not given the GMAT since I have been in onsite projects for the past 2 years continuously....As far I know..schools like Extetr , Glasgow , Birmingham , New Castle , Leeds , Bradford dont have a criteria for a mandatory GMAT at the time of application....I have 3.5 years of exprience most which has been spread accrosss 3 different couuntries...But I heard comments from few of the schools as my expreince based on no. is much lower than the average class exprience of most of these schools...Any comments..thoughts on that ?
susee

It is quite true that exp is a major factor.In birmingham univ we have provision of 21 month and 24 month program for less experienced candidates....Try if you are interested....Perhaps I suggest you to post a good GMAT score and bargain univ to offer 1 yr program...

-Best wishes

It is quite true that exp is a major factor.In birmingham univ we have provision of 21 month and 24 month program for less experienced candidates....Try if you are interested....Perhaps I suggest you to post a good GMAT score and bargain univ to offer 1 yr program...

-Best wishes
dolphin82

Hi guys,

I want to apply for FT MBA in fall 2011. My GMAT score is 650 and AWA score is 5.5. I've 6.5 years of rich experience with International exposure in IT Consultancy in one of the top companies of the world.
I am planning to apply to the following universities:
1. Judge
2. Said
3. Warwick
4. IMD
5. Lancaster
I already got a reply couple of days back from Cranfield that it is very unlikely to get a call with 650 score.

Though before appearing for GMAT, I was thinking to apply to LSB and INSEAD but not sure how much my score will help.

Can you please let me know your views on the chance of getting in one of the above schools with my given background?

Hi guys,

I want to apply for FT MBA in fall 2011. My GMAT score is 650 and AWA score is 5.5. I've 6.5 years of rich experience with International exposure in IT Consultancy in one of the top companies of the world.
I am planning to apply to the following universities:
1. Judge
2. Said
3. Warwick
4. IMD
5. Lancaster
I already got a reply couple of days back from Cranfield that it is very unlikely to get a call with 650 score.

Though before appearing for GMAT, I was thinking to apply to LSB and INSEAD but not sure how much my score will help.

Can you please let me know your views on the chance of getting in one of the above schools with my given background?
Akii

For European Schools, y dont u try Vlerick or CBS in Denmark....They are pretty good schools and the program seems to be really good.....check it out....

For European Schools, y dont u try Vlerick or CBS in Denmark....They are pretty good schools and the program seems to be really good.....check it out....

Hi.. i am plannin to apply for sep 2011 in UK.... I have 1 n half years of exp now n ll have 2 years of exp by the time of joinin. . can anyone pls suggest some good universities that i can apply..

Hi.. i am plannin to apply for sep 2011 in UK.... I have 1 n half years of exp now n ll have 2 years of exp by the time of joinin. . can anyone pls suggest some good universities that i can apply..

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Gent, Belgium 13 Followers 93 Discussions
Birmingham, United Kingdom 35 Followers 338 Discussions
Bradford, United Kingdom 45 Followers 317 Discussions
Durham, United Kingdom 74 Followers 400 Discussions
Exeter, United Kingdom 12 Followers 102 Discussions
Hull, United Kingdom 4 Followers 21 Discussions
Leeds, United Kingdom 18 Followers 164 Discussions
Nottingham, United Kingdom 27 Followers 180 Discussions
Sheffield, United Kingdom 11 Followers 96 Discussions
Belfast, United Kingdom 4 Followers 4 Discussions