Birmingham MBA

susee

Pl put your comments on Birmingham.Got an offer to do MBA........

Pl put your comments on Birmingham.Got an offer to do MBA........
dulsban

Hi Susee,

Congratz on making it through to a good B-school. Birmingham offers good quality MBA and is ranked consistently in most known league tables. I've heard they are particularly good in Finance and Supply Chain Management.
However, I am not sure if courses other than MIB are eligible for the promised work permit.
If this is the best offer you have, I'd suggest you to go for it.
Birmingham University has a good reputation UK as well as in India.

Thanks
Anirban

Hi Susee,

Congratz on making it through to a good B-school. Birmingham offers good quality MBA and is ranked consistently in most known league tables. I've heard they are particularly good in Finance and Supply Chain Management.
However, I am not sure if courses other than MIB are eligible for the promised work permit.
If this is the best offer you have, I'd suggest you to go for it.
Birmingham University has a good reputation UK as well as in India.

Thanks
Anirban
susee

Luckily got an opportunity in Glasgow,Bradford and Birmingham.Expecting Lanc by next week

Luckily got an opportunity in Glasgow,Bradford and Birmingham.Expecting Lanc by next week
dulsban

Awesome! Congs!

Did you get any communication from Lancaster after you sent in your application? Did you have any interview?

Awesome! Congs!

Did you get any communication from Lancaster after you sent in your application? Did you have any interview?
susee

No...I am supposed to get by Feb 22.Still I did not get any reply...

No...I am supposed to get by Feb 22.Still I did not get any reply...

Hi,

Which is the best school for full time one year MBA for an Indian candidate keeping in mind the value of MBA in UK/USA and India:

1. Univ. of Birmingham
2. Univ. of Bradford
3. Univ. of Glasgow
4. Univ. of Sheffield

The Birmingham and Bradford are on FT and Economist rankings however Glasgow has AACSB accreditation.

Can we compare these schools with one year MBA at XLRI and IIMs?

Thanks

Hi,

Which is the best school for full time one year MBA for an Indian candidate keeping in mind the value of MBA in UK/USA and India:

1. Univ. of Birmingham
2. Univ. of Bradford
3. Univ. of Glasgow
4. Univ. of Sheffield

The Birmingham and Bradford are on FT and Economist rankings however Glasgow has AACSB accreditation.

Can we compare these schools with one year MBA at XLRI and IIMs?

Thanks
susee

I think we can compare with IIMA,IIMB and ISB.But not with XLRI and rest of indian B-schools.Though IIM is not in FT it does not mean that, it is inferior when compared to ISB.All were in same pool. The only issue is Indian business schools provide plenty of campus placements which UK institutes don't.They do have, but you cant get the same nourishment what you are getting here.But at the end,if you have real potential then success is inevitable.In generic terms due to recession it may take some more time to recover.Fingers crossed..........

If you want to secure your investment well, then focus on Top order univ in UK.But at the same time it does not mean that other univ were not worth enough.Opportunities depends upon so many factors i.e., location,univ links,rankings etc.Just refer bottom order with top order univ in FT rankings.You will be surprised with placement datas......

I think we can compare with IIMA,IIMB and ISB.But not with XLRI and rest of indian B-schools.Though IIM is not in FT it does not mean that, it is inferior when compared to ISB.All were in same pool. The only issue is Indian business schools provide plenty of campus placements which UK institutes don't.They do have, but you cant get the same nourishment what you are getting here.But at the end,if you have real potential then success is inevitable.In generic terms due to recession it may take some more time to recover.Fingers crossed..........

If you want to secure your investment well, then focus on Top order univ in UK.But at the same time it does not mean that other univ were not worth enough.Opportunities depends upon so many factors i.e., location,univ links,rankings etc.Just refer bottom order with top order univ in FT rankings.You will be surprised with placement datas......
susee

I think Brad>Bir>Glas
Since Brad is going to become triple accre... by next year,it may go near dur,ast etc.Location wise Bir is best becoz second biggest city.Glas has good links with oil industries.. and overall univ point of view it is the best.....No idea on sheffield.

I think Brad>Bir>Glas
Since Brad is going to become triple accre... by next year,it may go near dur,ast etc.Location wise Bir is best becoz second biggest city.Glas has good links with oil industries.. and overall univ point of view it is the best.....No idea on sheffield.

susee

With ref to my earlier query.........Guys........Career service report of Birmingham shown in FT does not make a good impression.....I think campus placement is no more.........Put your views......

With ref to my earlier query.........Guys........Career service report of Birmingham shown in FT does not make a good impression.....I think campus placement is no more.........Put your views......

Hi susee,

Thanks for reply.

One more query, Do Indian emlpoyers give equal weightage to UK MBAs (Bradford, Birmingham, Glasgow) as they give for one year MBAs from IIMs & XLRI?

I am planning to defer my admission to 2011 intake. I am also preparing for GMAT. Which top tier UK schools are more valuable for an IT engineer with 6 yrs exp?

Thanks

Hi susee,

Thanks for reply.

One more query, Do Indian emlpoyers give equal weightage to UK MBAs (Bradford, Birmingham, Glasgow) as they give for one year MBAs from IIMs & XLRI?

I am planning to defer my admission to 2011 intake. I am also preparing for GMAT. Which top tier UK schools are more valuable for an IT engineer with 6 yrs exp?

Thanks
susee

What is the selling point of XLRI, when compared to FT ranked university?If you consider XLRI then what about SP jain,LIBA,Great Lakes,MICA,Symbiosis etc........Do you think those are inferior.......A big no.......Cant take IIM & ISB in this category...They already proved their ability......(ISB stood no12)Since IIM dont have accreditation it was not picked.
BTW......If you refer TOP MBA site,entering into top B-school like Harvard,Yale etc requires an average of 710 where as in IIM it is 760 to 780.......It does not mean that Harvard is inferior when compared to IIM......Some of the world's best brains are picked by Harvard......Indian schools are purely academic oriented where as in UK along with your aptitude and academic they expect exp as major criteria......The very basic question asked in Top tier schools is "What can you contribute in our program?".They don't mean money.Do you have exposure in Mktg,Operations Mgmt,Strategy and so on .Then you are welcome.In India if you post a good total in CAT,GD,mere 2 yrs exp(in case), you will be picked.....Believe me .......This year...... a guy with a total of 710 got rejected in Lancaster where as another guy with 600 got selected......It shows the difference in entry norms...Your exp adds more value...I think when you have a global brand value, you can sell your product in any part of the Globe....

Recently I bought a T-Shirt for 200 Rs.But same T-shirt with a Tick mark(Nike) costs me 800 rs...Thats the power of brand value.......
Most of the entrepreneurs like Mr.R.TATA,Mr.R.Bajaj,TVS(Mr.Venu) were produced by UK business schools.......

Indian companies do aware of this........Indian employers like TCS, Wipro,Satyam(TM) were some of the major recruiters in UK B-schools......Refer TOP MBA site.I think there is no big difference between MNC and Indian MNC companies...Most of the Indian companies have their presence world wide.....

As far as you......if you want to secure your investment well go with in Top 10(UK).Anything like oxbridge,LBS,Cass will fulfill your needs..........

What is the selling point of XLRI, when compared to FT ranked university?If you consider XLRI then what about SP jain,LIBA,Great Lakes,MICA,Symbiosis etc........Do you think those are inferior.......A big no.......Cant take IIM & ISB in this category...They already proved their ability......(ISB stood no12)Since IIM dont have accreditation it was not picked.
BTW......If you refer TOP MBA site,entering into top B-school like Harvard,Yale etc requires an average of 710 where as in IIM it is 760 to 780.......It does not mean that Harvard is inferior when compared to IIM......Some of the world's best brains are picked by Harvard......Indian schools are purely academic oriented where as in UK along with your aptitude and academic they expect exp as major criteria......The very basic question asked in Top tier schools is "What can you contribute in our program?".They don't mean money.Do you have exposure in Mktg,Operations Mgmt,Strategy and so on .Then you are welcome.In India if you post a good total in CAT,GD,mere 2 yrs exp(in case), you will be picked.....Believe me .......This year...... a guy with a total of 710 got rejected in Lancaster where as another guy with 600 got selected......It shows the difference in entry norms...Your exp adds more value...I think when you have a global brand value, you can sell your product in any part of the Globe....

Recently I bought a T-Shirt for 200 Rs.But same T-shirt with a Tick mark(Nike) costs me 800 rs...Thats the power of brand value.......
Most of the entrepreneurs like Mr.R.TATA,Mr.R.Bajaj,TVS(Mr.Venu) were produced by UK business schools.......

Indian companies do aware of this........Indian employers like TCS, Wipro,Satyam(TM) were some of the major recruiters in UK B-schools......Refer TOP MBA site.I think there is no big difference between MNC and Indian MNC companies...Most of the Indian companies have their presence world wide.....

As far as you......if you want to secure your investment well go with in Top 10(UK).Anything like oxbridge,LBS,Cass will fulfill your needs..........

Hi susee,

Thank you once again for detailed reply.

Actually, I asked this question because many people say - It is easier to get into UK tier-2 schools than into Indian schools. And the job opportunities are equal to null.

But I am totally convienced with you. Thanks

As I mentioned in previous post, I have defered my admission to 2011 intake. So I have enough time to get prepared for GMAT and then will try to get into Top 10 UK schools.

Thanks

Hi susee,

Thank you once again for detailed reply.

Actually, I asked this question because many people say - It is easier to get into UK tier-2 schools than into Indian schools. And the job opportunities are equal to null.

But I am totally convienced with you. Thanks

As I mentioned in previous post, I have defered my admission to 2011 intake. So I have enough time to get prepared for GMAT and then will try to get into Top 10 UK schools.

Thanks
susee

All the best.........

All the best.........
takehisa

I have applied for Birmingham MBA since January but have received no response from them up until now.

I've got some questions below and would be grateful if anyone could shed some light:
1. Does anyone know how long is the turn around time for the admissions office to get back to applicants with the results? I've been constantly checking the application status on the website and it has always been "Awaiting Decision".

2. I've got an unconditional offer from Durham MBA. Which is better Durham / Birmingham? I understand that Durham is triple accredited, but wat about the brand name and the city itself? Does this affect graduates when they apply for a job in the UK?

THanks.

I have applied for Birmingham MBA since January but have received no response from them up until now.

I've got some questions below and would be grateful if anyone could shed some light:
1. Does anyone know how long is the turn around time for the admissions office to get back to applicants with the results? I've been constantly checking the application status on the website and it has always been "Awaiting Decision".

2. I've got an unconditional offer from Durham MBA. Which is better Durham / Birmingham? I understand that Durham is triple accredited, but wat about the brand name and the city itself? Does this affect graduates when they apply for a job in the UK?

THanks.
susee

I think, this year,applications are heavy in Birmingham.......Location wise Birmingham is the best.Second biggest city in UK.......So naturally opportunities are abundant.
If you check with FT rankings despite poor career service of Birmingham, employment rate is fantastic.......Here location factor plays a vital role....... and I think fees is bit less........Though durham is triple accredited difference it makes is nothing.......

But finally I think you can pick Durham becoz it is triple accredited....It adds additional value if you wish to work in US...

Other than accre.... there is no big difference

I think, this year,applications are heavy in Birmingham.......Location wise Birmingham is the best.Second biggest city in UK.......So naturally opportunities are abundant.
If you check with FT rankings despite poor career service of Birmingham, employment rate is fantastic.......Here location factor plays a vital role....... and I think fees is bit less........Though durham is triple accredited difference it makes is nothing.......

But finally I think you can pick Durham becoz it is triple accredited....It adds additional value if you wish to work in US...

Other than accre.... there is no big difference

Hi takehisa,

Congrats for your selection at Durhum MBA.

1: Yes, School takes more time in evaluating application. I submitted my application on 23 November, 2009 and finally I got the result on 20 February, 2010.

2: As susee explained, there is no much difference in these two schools. Durhum has triple acrediations and Birmingham has plus point for its location.

Hi takehisa,

Congrats for your selection at Durhum MBA.

1: Yes, School takes more time in evaluating application. I submitted my application on 23 November, 2009 and finally I got the result on 20 February, 2010.

2: As susee explained, there is no much difference in these two schools. Durhum has triple acrediations and Birmingham has plus point for its location.

Hi susee,

Finally, which school you are joining?
Are you joining in Sep 2010?
Pls share you profile.

Thanks
Shilendra

Hi susee,

Finally, which school you are joining?
Are you joining in Sep 2010?
Pls share you profile.

Thanks
Shilendra
susee

A lot of R&D is going on.....Still waiting for other results...As usual will let it to voters like you...Then I will finalize...Yes will be joining in Sep 2010.......I have some other problems like...I will be getting my degree certificate and mark lists by Dec 2010...So I may have to convince university faculty....My profile is so simple.... a mechanical engineer with 8+years of exp, GMAT of 550, IELTS of 7 and maintained an academic record of more than 80% through out my studies...

A lot of R&D is going on.....Still waiting for other results...As usual will let it to voters like you...Then I will finalize...Yes will be joining in Sep 2010.......I have some other problems like...I will be getting my degree certificate and mark lists by Dec 2010...So I may have to convince university faculty....My profile is so simple.... a mechanical engineer with 8+years of exp, GMAT of 550, IELTS of 7 and maintained an academic record of more than 80% through out my studies...
withdreams

Hi susee,
Your PM was helpful.Telling my views on your admits. Don't go with the placement statistics given in FT as far Birmingam and Bradford are concerned. Check the audit year.Its 2007!!!!. Financial crisis showed its full strength after 2007. So no point relying on that data. Check out the current situation with 2009 alumni if poss (Career services of Universities will not reply properly regarding placements or they will just show some data just like that). I think you applied to the top league Universities like LBS,Oxbridge,Cass. If so try to get into one of them to be little secure.

Hi susee,
Your PM was helpful.Telling my views on your admits. Don't go with the placement statistics given in FT as far Birmingam and Bradford are concerned. Check the audit year.Its 2007!!!!. Financial crisis showed its full strength after 2007. So no point relying on that data. Check out the current situation with 2009 alumni if poss (Career services of Universities will not reply properly regarding placements or they will just show some data just like that). I think you applied to the top league Universities like LBS,Oxbridge,Cass. If so try to get into one of them to be little secure.
susee

In fact there is no big clarity as far as placements are concerned...KPMG does audit for every 3 yrs...So students who had passed out 3 yrs before were asked to participate...

Financially I am not sound enough to think on LBS,oxbridge etc.

In fact there is no big clarity as far as placements are concerned...KPMG does audit for every 3 yrs...So students who had passed out 3 yrs before were asked to participate...

Financially I am not sound enough to think on LBS,oxbridge etc.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

London, United Kingdom 59 Followers 415 Discussions
Sheffield, United Kingdom 11 Followers 96 Discussions
Glasgow, United Kingdom 16 Followers 116 Discussions
Chennai, India 5 Followers 2 Discussions
Pune, India 4 Followers 3 Discussions
Pune, India 18 Followers 11 Discussions
Mumbai, India 9 Followers 32 Discussions
Ahmedabad, India 2 Followers 4 Discussions
Chennai, India 3 Followers 6 Discussions
Durham, United Kingdom 74 Followers 400 Discussions