Advice about MBA needed, thanks!

w.bealion

Hello,

First of all, I have to say that this website is excellent. I've learnt a lot. Appreciate those who have made efforts here.

Recently, I've been searching for some general MBA programmes in fall 2013. I would like to have well-expereinced people to give me advice about my school short list.

Purpose of study:
- Gain solid business management knowledge since I don't have business background
- Seek a greater career opportunity in international trade or project management in aisa or the UK.

My profile:
1) Nationality: Taiwan (TW)
2) undergraduate in BA in mass communication; GPA 3.0 (around 75%)
3) working expereince:
- Assist. Project Manager at the sales department in athe biggest asian translation company in TW : 5 years
-Recruiting Consultant in a human resource consultancy: less than 1 year.
- Sales in an indoor lighting trading company in TW: 1 year
4) IELTS: overall 7.5
5) GMAT: not yet taken (considering.... will take it if I am asked by those schools ranked in FT.)
6) Interested in International Business, Stratergy, Project Management, Trading, and Entrepreneurship.

After gathering programme info for a while, my school short list:
Schools I will apply for - Bath, Birmingham, Bradford, Durham, Edinburge, Leeds, Kent, Newcastle

Less favorite - Exeter, Glasgow, Nottingham, Southampton, Royal Holloway

My questions is:
I am not sure that Newcastle is more worthy than those less favorite schools. Is there any other programmes better than Newcastle??

Thank you.

Hello,

First of all, I have to say that this website is excellent. I've learnt a lot. Appreciate those who have made efforts here.

Recently, I've been searching for some general MBA programmes in fall 2013. I would like to have well-expereinced people to give me advice about my school short list.

Purpose of study:
- Gain solid business management knowledge since I don't have business background
- Seek a greater career opportunity in international trade or project management in aisa or the UK.

My profile:
1) Nationality: Taiwan (TW)
2) undergraduate in BA in mass communication; GPA 3.0 (around 75%)
3) working expereince:
- Assist. Project Manager at the sales department in athe biggest asian translation company in TW : 5 years
-Recruiting Consultant in a human resource consultancy: less than 1 year.
- Sales in an indoor lighting trading company in TW: 1 year
4) IELTS: overall 7.5
5) GMAT: not yet taken (considering.... will take it if I am asked by those schools ranked in FT.)
6) Interested in International Business, Stratergy, Project Management, Trading, and Entrepreneurship.

After gathering programme info for a while, my school short list:
Schools I will apply for - Bath, Birmingham, Bradford, Durham, Edinburge, Leeds, Kent, Newcastle

Less favorite - Exeter, Glasgow, Nottingham, Southampton, Royal Holloway

My questions is:
I am not sure that Newcastle is more worthy than those less favorite schools. Is there any other programmes better than Newcastle??

Thank you.
Duncan

They higher-ranked schools are much better. A simple comparison is the salary. Look at the FT MBA ranking.

They higher-ranked schools are much better. A simple comparison is the salary. Look at the FT MBA ranking.
ralph

Where do you want to end up after graduation? If you're considering staying in the UK, keep in mind that visa regulations have been tightening and it's harder for international students to say after graduation (although not impossible.)

Also, the UK's a big place, so to give you a sense of where the schools are, check out the map in this article:

http://www.find-mba.com/article/609/beyond-london-mba-programs-in-england

That said, if I were you I'd stick to the FT-ranked schools, because they provide a much better investment than non-ranked schools:

Edinburgh
Birmingham
Durham
Bradford

Look closely at Edinburgh - It's held steady in the rankings (something many of the other UK programs have not done) and has some specializations you might be interested in, including strategy and entrepreneurship. Birmingham also has some specialized programs, including an MBA in international business and one in strategy and procurement management.

Where do you want to end up after graduation? If you're considering staying in the UK, keep in mind that visa regulations have been tightening and it's harder for international students to say after graduation (although not impossible.)

Also, the UK's a big place, so to give you a sense of where the schools are, check out the map in this article:

That said, if I were you I'd stick to the FT-ranked schools, because they provide a much better investment than non-ranked schools:

Edinburgh
Birmingham
Durham
Bradford

Look closely at Edinburgh - It's held steady in the rankings (something many of the other UK programs have not done) and has some specializations you might be interested in, including strategy and entrepreneurship. Birmingham also has some specialized programs, including an MBA in international business and one in strategy and procurement management.

Duncan

I think Scotland has slightly easier visa rules.

w.bealion

Dear Duncan,

Thank you very much for your words. I think it's a good guideline for me to choose schools from so many programmes. I surely look into it.

<blockquote>They higher-ranked schools are much better. A simple comparison is the salary. Look at the FT MBA ranking.</blockquote>

Dear Duncan,

Thank you very much for your words. I think it's a good guideline for me to choose schools from so many programmes. I surely look into it.
w.bealion

Edinburgh
Birmingham
Durham
Bradford

Dear Ralph,

Thank you very much for your advice.

It would be great to stay in the UK after MBA programme. Of course, there are much more oppotunities in cities than in rural areas. I think that going to a school near London would be the best option. On the other hand, some second-tiered cities like Birmingham would also have great oppotunities. Among my choices, getting closer to cities would be better for me.

Well, going back to the Great China area would be another good option for me because I am originally from there. Higher educated people with global background have their market. It would be a good idea to go back after MBA.

Once again, thank you for your opinion. Very precious! I will keep it in mind.

<blockquote>Where do you want to end up after graduation? If you're considering staying in the UK, keep in mind that visa regulations have been tightening and it's harder for international students to say after graduation (although not impossible.)

Edinburgh
Birmingham
Durham
Bradford

</blockquote>

Dear Ralph,

Thank you very much for your advice.

It would be great to stay in the UK after MBA programme. Of course, there are much more oppotunities in cities than in rural areas. I think that going to a school near London would be the best option. On the other hand, some second-tiered cities like Birmingham would also have great oppotunities. Among my choices, getting closer to cities would be better for me.

Well, going back to the Great China area would be another good option for me because I am originally from there. Higher educated people with global background have their market. It would be a good idea to go back after MBA.

Once again, thank you for your opinion. Very precious! I will keep it in mind.
w.bealion

Dear Duncan,

Thank you for the info.
I will look closely to Edinbourg!

<blockquote>I think Scotland has slightly easier visa rules.</blockquote>

Dear Duncan,

Thank you for the info.
I will look closely to Edinbourg!
Mamit

Dear Bealion,
Since you have good 6 years of experiences, I would strongly suggest that you take your GMAT and try for even better ones for example Manchester, Warwick, CASS, Imperial, Cranfield., as the universities you have mentioned does not ask for GMAT apart from Edinburgh.
Regards
Mamit

Dear Bealion,
Since you have good 6 years of experiences, I would strongly suggest that you take your GMAT and try for even better ones for example Manchester, Warwick, CASS, Imperial, Cranfield., as the universities you have mentioned does not ask for GMAT apart from Edinburgh.
Regards
Mamit
w.bealion

Dear Mamit,

Thank you very much for your words.
I will think about it really carefully.

BR,
w.bealion

Dear Mamit,

Thank you very much for your words.
I will think about it really carefully.

BR,
w.bealion
Inactive User

No, it's the same system throughout the UK: Tier 1 post-study visas are now closed to new applicants, but students can apply for tier 2 visas, which require an official job offer.

<blockquote>I think Scotland has slightly easier visa rules.</blockquote>
No, it's the same system throughout the UK: Tier 1 post-study visas are now closed to new applicants, but students can apply for tier 2 visas, which require an official job offer.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

London, United Kingdom 59 Followers 415 Discussions
Glasgow, United Kingdom 17 Followers 116 Discussions
Nottingham, United Kingdom 27 Followers 180 Discussions
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom 11 Followers 92 Discussions
Leeds, United Kingdom 18 Followers 164 Discussions
Exeter, United Kingdom 12 Followers 102 Discussions
Durham, United Kingdom 74 Followers 400 Discussions
Bradford, United Kingdom 45 Followers 317 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 107 Followers 348 Discussions
Egham, United Kingdom 7 Followers 35 Discussions