Which US B Schools can I get?

dhruva014

Hi,

Below is my profile, please evaluate and suggest which US B Schools can I get?

GMAT: 650
Education: BBA LL.B from a top law school
GPA: 3.5
Nationality: Indian
Work ex: 3 years of consulting with Big 4 (yes hardcore consulting though I am primarily a lawyer)
Extra curricular activities: Very strong

I really want to get into Kelley or Fisher, do I stand a chance? I am not too keen on retaking the test.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

Below is my profile, please evaluate and suggest which US B Schools can I get?

GMAT: 650
Education: BBA LL.B from a top law school
GPA: 3.5
Nationality: Indian
Work ex: 3 years of consulting with Big 4 (yes hardcore consulting though I am primarily a lawyer)
Extra curricular activities: Very strong

I really want to get into Kelley or Fisher, do I stand a chance? I am not too keen on retaking the test.

Thanks in advance :)

ezra

You're on the low side for both these programs, as the average GMAT of admitted students tends to be around 670. I'd use just one as a "reach" school, but apply to 1-2 other schools that you know you can get into. This will depend on your career goals.

So I'd think about something like SMU Cox if you want to land a job in financial services; Michigan State or Purdue Krannert for manufacturing; or Smeal for a career in technology.

You're on the low side for both these programs, as the average GMAT of admitted students tends to be around 670. I'd use just one as a "reach" school, but apply to 1-2 other schools that you know you can get into. This will depend on your career goals.

So I'd think about something like SMU Cox if you want to land a job in financial services; Michigan State or Purdue Krannert for manufacturing; or Smeal for a career in technology.
Duncan

A very similar question was posted recently, perhaps by the same person. Try searching the board for LLB.

A very similar question was posted recently, perhaps by the same person. Try searching the board for LLB.

I'm not sure exactly how the MBA system works in India, but researching MBA programs in the US sounds like an awesome idea. I was exploring different schools country-wide, and decided to attend Babson College in Boston for business and had a great experience! I'm not sure if you have come across the entrepreneurship education programs they offer, but I highly suggest it. I really enjoyed my professors and since its in such a great location (close to Fisher as you mentioned) there are a great amount of networking opportunities! Many international students also attend Babson, so you would probably enjoy meeting people from all over the world!

I'm not sure exactly how the MBA system works in India, but researching MBA programs in the US sounds like an awesome idea. I was exploring different schools country-wide, and decided to attend Babson College in Boston for business and had a great experience! I'm not sure if you have come across the entrepreneurship education programs they offer, but I highly suggest it. I really enjoyed my professors and since its in such a great location (close to Fisher as you mentioned) there are a great amount of networking opportunities! Many international students also attend Babson, so you would probably enjoy meeting people from all over the world!
amydecia

I am preparing the GMAT for US B Schools..

Any advice for me to take above to 670..

Duncan

Buy a book with CD. Follow the advice in the book.

Buy a book with CD. Follow the advice in the book.
Razors Edg...

Target your weaknesses (quant, verbal, or both) and then focus on them through exercises or a book. Hire a tutor if you have to. It's not rocket science.

<blockquote>I am preparing the GMAT for US B Schools..

Any advice for me to take above to 670..</blockquote>

Target your weaknesses (quant, verbal, or both) and then focus on them through exercises or a book. Hire a tutor if you have to. It's not rocket science.
amydecia

Thanks for the reply,

Can you suggest me some books for preparation..

Thanks for the reply,

Can you suggest me some books for preparation..
Duncan

All the best-selling books are good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=GMAT%20

All the best-selling books are good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=GMAT%20

I am an Engineering graduate with a GMAT score of 660.

I have 3.5 years of work experience in Telecommunications and Software Sales.

I am currently working with an American Event Management Software company (largest in the world). Prior to this i was working at a leading telecommunication equipment manufacturer.

I have been actively involved with CSR initiatives at both companies and my overall extra curricular activities track record is decent (not outstanding).

Please suggest a few schools where I stand a chance of getting a scholarship.

I want to pursue an MBA in Strategy/Business Development.

I am an Engineering graduate with a GMAT score of 660.

I have 3.5 years of work experience in Telecommunications and Software Sales.

I am currently working with an American Event Management Software company (largest in the world). Prior to this i was working at a leading telecommunication equipment manufacturer.

I have been actively involved with CSR initiatives at both companies and my overall extra curricular activities track record is decent (not outstanding).

Please suggest a few schools where I stand a chance of getting a scholarship.

I want to pursue an MBA in Strategy/Business Development.

Duncan

660 is not an especially high score, no there are not many good MBAs where you might get a scholarship, and I can't think of any school where you would get a large scholarship. They will tend to be at rather weak schools www.una.edu/mba-requirements/MBA%20Presenation%20Athens.pdf‎ . Generally for such a low GMAT schools might look for twice as much work experience http://www.business.uconn.edu/cms/p1281 .

Graduate assistantship might be more likely http://www.pdx.edu/gradbusiness/financing-your-mba .

660 is not an especially high score, no there are not many good MBAs where you might get a scholarship, and I can't think of any school where you would get a large scholarship. They will tend to be at rather weak schools www.una.edu/mba-requirements/MBA%20Presenation%20Athens.pdf&#8206; . Generally for such a low GMAT schools might look for twice as much work experience http://www.business.uconn.edu/cms/p1281 .

Graduate assistantship might be more likely http://www.pdx.edu/gradbusiness/financing-your-mba .
amydecia

very nice these all books are related to GMAT preparation..

Thanks

very nice these all books are related to GMAT preparation..

Thanks

Hi, there. I'm a woman and 2 years out of undergraduate school. I currently work in a major corporation in operations and distribution, having gone through their management training program and manage about 40 people. These are some of my salient points.
UConnecticut 3.8 GPA in Physiology and Neurobiology
4 Year Varsity Athlete
Big East Scholar Athlete
680 GMAT

I'm interested in a health sector MBA and am interested in the following schools.
Duke Fuqua
Boston University
Vanderbilt Owen
Berkeley Hass
North Carolina, Flagler
Washington U Olin School

What are your thoughts and how do you suggest I maximize my chances.

Thank you,

The Wiz

Hi, there. I'm a woman and 2 years out of undergraduate school. I currently work in a major corporation in operations and distribution, having gone through their management training program and manage about 40 people. These are some of my salient points.
UConnecticut 3.8 GPA in Physiology and Neurobiology
4 Year Varsity Athlete
Big East Scholar Athlete
680 GMAT

I'm interested in a health sector MBA and am interested in the following schools.
Duke Fuqua
Boston University
Vanderbilt Owen
Berkeley Hass
North Carolina, Flagler
Washington U Olin School

What are your thoughts and how do you suggest I maximize my chances.

Thank you,

The Wiz
Duncan

Take a look at http://www.find-mba.com/board/36065

Take a look at http://www.find-mba.com/board/36065
ralph

Duke Fuqua
Boston University
Vanderbilt Owen
Berkeley Hass
North Carolina, Flagler
Washington U Olin School

Those are good schools. Unfortunately, with only two years of experience, you're a bit under the average (which tends to be around 5 years at most of these programs.)

To maximize your chances, you would want to substantially outscore the average GMAT. In Berkeley's case, the average tends to be around 715, at Duke, it's 700.

<blockquote>
Duke Fuqua
Boston University
Vanderbilt Owen
Berkeley Hass
North Carolina, Flagler
Washington U Olin School
</blockquote>
Those are good schools. Unfortunately, with only two years of experience, you're a bit under the average (which tends to be around 5 years at most of these programs.)

To maximize your chances, you would want to substantially outscore the average GMAT. In Berkeley's case, the average tends to be around 715, at Duke, it's 700.
dhruva014

Hello all,

It has been a while since I posted this and my profile has changed considerably since.

I retook the GMAT and scored 710. I plan to apply for the 2015 intake this year in round 1. I will have 4 years experience with Deloitte when I enter the program. Could you please suggest schools to which I can apply based on this? I know there are a lot of other factors but just want to understand what schools I can target.

Thanks.

Hello all,

It has been a while since I posted this and my profile has changed considerably since.

I retook the GMAT and scored 710. I plan to apply for the 2015 intake this year in round 1. I will have 4 years experience with Deloitte when I enter the program. Could you please suggest schools to which I can apply based on this? I know there are a lot of other factors but just want to understand what schools I can target.

Thanks.

Duncan

I recommend http://www.find-mba.com/board/36065 and the Tier 2 schools at www.find-mba.com/board/27082

I recommend http://www.find-mba.com/board/36065 and the Tier 2 schools at www.find-mba.com/board/27082
dhruva014

Okay, Thanks Duncan

Okay, Thanks Duncan

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Berkeley, California 100 Followers 116 Discussions
Boston, Massachusetts 161 Followers 109 Discussions
St. Louis, Missouri 9 Followers 23 Discussions
Durham, North Carolina 52 Followers 103 Discussions
Nashville, Tennessee 16 Followers 35 Discussions
Bloomington, Indiana 41 Followers 82 Discussions
Columbus, Ohio 19 Followers 36 Discussions
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 37 Followers 76 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

Prescription for Success? MBA Programs in Healthcare

Article Aug 10, 2009

For those looking to step in or advance in the booming healthcare industry, can an MBA help?