Type of work experience

sid.cr9

Hi! I am currently working as a desktop support engineer at Wipro Infotech. I want to do MBA full time from USA. So will a 2-3 yr experience as a desktop support engineer be consider by the american universities for MBA admission? Do i need to changr my job right now because of my designation? Please help

Hi! I am currently working as a desktop support engineer at Wipro Infotech. I want to do MBA full time from USA. So will a 2-3 yr experience as a desktop support engineer be consider by the american universities for MBA admission? Do i need to changr my job right now because of my designation? Please help
Duncan

Yes, that's work experience but schools looking for management experience would prefer a role with a clearer managerial element.

Yes, that's work experience but schools looking for management experience would prefer a role with a clearer managerial element.
sid.cr9

Does that mean my exp wont be accepted by top b-schools? Well i am an engineer so i dont know much about management. So does that mean an IT person cannot get into a good b-school even if my job includes issue solving, guiding people throughout the issue, etc?

Does that mean my exp wont be accepted by top b-schools? Well i am an engineer so i dont know much about management. So does that mean an IT person cannot get into a good b-school even if my job includes issue solving, guiding people throughout the issue, etc?
Duncan

Well, lots of people apply to the top schools and to be admitted you have to be a much better candidate that most of the other candidates. With two or three years in IT, you are the most common type of applicant (especially as a male IT engineer in an Indian firm). Your work experience is work experience, so it counts, but it's not especially rare or desirable. Most other applicants will have more, and better. I think it would be helpful for you to read a book on MBA admissions. I recommend Balbir Singh's "The MBA Admissions Handbook". The third edition just came out but an older, second hand, copy will be just as good.

Well, lots of people apply to the top schools and to be admitted you have to be a much better candidate that most of the other candidates. With two or three years in IT, you are the most common type of applicant (especially as a male IT engineer in an Indian firm). Your work experience is work experience, so it counts, but it's not especially rare or desirable. Most other applicants will have more, and better. I think it would be helpful for you to read a book on MBA admissions. I recommend Balbir Singh's "The MBA Admissions Handbook". The third edition just came out but an older, second hand, copy will be just as good.
sid.cr9

We have our own business, travel and tourism. If i work with him, will that exp be considered. If not, please suggest what should i do.

We have our own business, travel and tourism. If i work with him, will that exp be considered. If not, please suggest what should i do.
Duncan

Your current experience will be enough for most US universities' MBA programmes. If you wanted to get into a top school you'd have to be a stronger applicant, and that is a book-length answer.

Your current experience will be enough for most US universities' MBA programmes. If you wanted to get into a top school you'd have to be a stronger applicant, and that is a book-length answer.
sid.cr9

Which is best university for marketing?

Which is best university for marketing?
Duncan

See http://find-mba.com/lists/top-business-school-by-speciality/top-business-schools-for-a-career-in-marketing

See http://find-mba.com/lists/top-business-school-by-speciality/top-business-schools-for-a-career-in-marketing
sid.cr9

Does name of the company matter? What if i work for an NGO. Will that better my chances?

Does name of the company matter? What if i work for an NGO. Will that better my chances?
Duncan

Other things being equal, it would.

Other things being equal, it would.
sid.cr9

But does the company name considered while selecting students for admission into MBA?

But does the company name considered while selecting students for admission into MBA?
Duncan

Yes, if the company is one that hires from the business school, or is a very interesting one that adds something to the experience in the cohort.

Yes, if the company is one that hires from the business school, or is a very interesting one that adds something to the experience in the cohort.
sid.cr9

So working in a small and unknown company is not good right?

So working in a small and unknown company is not good right?
Duncan

If it's doing something very interesting, then that could be good. But a small and unexceptional company won't help you.

If it's doing something very interesting, then that could be good. But a small and unexceptional company won't help you.
sid.cr9

I am on 3rd party system. I work for wipro at client site price waterhouse coopers and i get paid by ITCONS. So what do you think. Is it good enough?

I am on 3rd party system. I work for wipro at client site price waterhouse coopers and i get paid by ITCONS. So what do you think. Is it good enough?
Duncan

I think it depends on the university, and on your GMAT score and academic record. Certainly your work experience suggests you will bring little new experience into the cohort of most top MBA schools.

I think it depends on the university, and on your GMAT score and academic record. Certainly your work experience suggests you will bring little new experience into the cohort of most top MBA schools.

Reply to Post

Other Related Content

Work Experience and the MBA: How Much is Really Necessary?

Article Aug 30, 2011

Experience isn't just about getting into business school; it's also about getting out (with a job).

Top Business Schools for Marketing

Top List

Many MBA programs offer specialized curriculum or concentrations in marketing – and some business schools house research centers that provide networking opportunities and publish relevant research

Hot Discussions