Poor GMAT - 640, World's poorest profile - Indian Male IT

targetmba

Hi,

I have been following the threads in FIND-MBA for over an year anonymously, and finally decided to share my situation with you and seek your advice.

I took GMAT in 2010 and scored a poor 640 (Q:49, V:28, 5.0AWA), so I decided to re-take GMAT in 2011, but I fortune screwed me even badly, scored 600 (Q:50, V:21, 5.0AWA). Perhaps reading comprehension did it to me. To add salt on the wound, I have the world's worst profile - Indian male working in an investment banking IT.
The only good points are -
- experience: 8 years total
- Current Company: UBS, Switzerland
- under graduation college: Indian Institute of Technology
- Foreign experience: Singapore, 5+ years
- Role: application owner and lead.
- Extra-curricular: quite a few
- Recommended by: VP and AVP

My goal is to work as an application portfolio manager under CIO of a big enterprise, but I have no confidence and energy left to retake the GMAT and I don't want to wait since I am already 31 years old.

Since I wanted to try at least once (better try than die), I have applied to ESADE Spain and HEC Paris, but I am sure that my poor profile and GMAT score will murder me.
Further, I am planning to apply to Queen's Canada, Copenhagen Business School, Vlerick school of management, IMD Switzerland, and St. Gallen Switzerland, but I don't see any success in these colleges too.

1. Have I done right thing?
2. Should I try to redeem myself by taking one final shot at the GMAT or,
3. Should I just go ahead and apply to some colleges that suit my profile?

If (3) is the right decision, can you please suggest some top business schools in which I have good chances of getting into with some scholarship (I can't pay full fees).

Thanks
GM.

Hi,

I have been following the threads in FIND-MBA for over an year anonymously, and finally decided to share my situation with you and seek your advice.

I took GMAT in 2010 and scored a poor 640 (Q:49, V:28, 5.0AWA), so I decided to re-take GMAT in 2011, but I fortune screwed me even badly, scored 600 (Q:50, V:21, 5.0AWA). Perhaps reading comprehension did it to me. To add salt on the wound, I have the world's worst profile - Indian male working in an investment banking IT.

My goal is to work as an application portfolio manager under CIO of a big enterprise, but I have no confidence and energy left to retake the GMAT and I don't want to wait since I am already 31 years old.

Since I wanted to try at least once (better try than die), I have applied to ESADE Spain and HEC Paris, but I am sure that my poor profile and GMAT score will murder me.
Further, I am planning to apply to Queen's Canada, Copenhagen Business School, Vlerick school of management, IMD Switzerland, and St. Gallen Switzerland, but I don't see any success in these colleges too.

If (3) is the right decision, can you please suggest some top business schools in which I have good chances of getting into with some scholarship (I can't pay full fees).

Thanks
GM.
Duncan

You are not a *very* competitive candidate at those school. And I can't think of any school that will give you a scholarship, but there might be other scholarship funds. I guess your local university library will have a big book about that.

If you studied seriously for the GMAT, then don't retake. If you didn't, then do.

To keep costs down, look at one year MBAs. I'd suggest these schools with lower GMAT requirements:
Durham Business School
University of Cape Town GSB
Hult International Business School
Thunderbird School of Global Management
Birmingham Business School
University of Strathclyde Business School
University College Dublin: Smurfit
Eada
University of Edinburgh Business School
Bradford School of Management
TiasNimbas Business School
Leeds University Business School
EM Lyon Business School

Hult and Thunderbird will take more or less anyone.

You are not a *very* competitive candidate at those school. And I can't think of any school that will give you a scholarship, but there might be other scholarship funds. I guess your local university library will have a big book about that.

If you studied seriously for the GMAT, then don't retake. If you didn't, then do.

To keep costs down, look at one year MBAs. I'd suggest these schools with lower GMAT requirements:
Durham Business School
University of Cape Town GSB
Hult International Business School
Thunderbird School of Global Management
Birmingham Business School
University of Strathclyde Business School
University College Dublin: Smurfit
Eada
University of Edinburgh Business School
Bradford School of Management
TiasNimbas Business School
Leeds University Business School
EM Lyon Business School

Hult and Thunderbird will take more or less anyone.
nanand1977

Yeah i would second that your profile is really pathetic for any good business school. The worst part is decline in your GMAT score which would be the most negative point in your application to any of the top business schools.

I can't even suggest you to retake GMAT becasue if trend persists you probably will come up with score of 560 this time.

I second the suggestion given by Mr. Duncan that you should look for 2nd / 3rd tier schools that would more suitable to your profile.

Yeah i would second that your profile is really pathetic for any good business school. The worst part is decline in your GMAT score which would be the most negative point in your application to any of the top business schools.

I can't even suggest you to retake GMAT becasue if trend persists you probably will come up with score of 560 this time.

I second the suggestion given by Mr. Duncan that you should look for 2nd / 3rd tier schools that would more suitable to your profile.
targetmba

Thanks for your encouraging words nanand.

<blockquote>Yeah i would second that your profile is really pathetic for any good business school. The worst part is decline in your GMAT score which would be the most negative point in your application to any of the top business schools.

</blockquote>

ralph

As others have pointed out, right now your profile is not competitive at top schools. The way I see it you have three options:

1. Get a tutor, study for the GMAT, and knock it out of the park next time. Aim for 700+ and you'll have a good chance.

2. Apply for a 2nd or 3rd tier MBA program - which may or many not pay off in the long run. Check your current salary and compare to the averages of graduates: For instance, 3 years after graduation from the Durham program, grads make on average about $101,000 US.

3. Wait a year and you'll be competitive for some EMBA programs, where you won't have to worry about the GMAT. Check out the programs at schools like EM Lyon and Henley. Maybe even the IE/Brown program - although the GMAT is required for that program, but you have the option of taking the IE admissions test instead, if that's easier.

As others have pointed out, right now your profile is not competitive at top schools. The way I see it you have three options:

1. Get a tutor, study for the GMAT, and knock it out of the park next time. Aim for 700+ and you'll have a good chance.

2. Apply for a 2nd or 3rd tier MBA program - which may or many not pay off in the long run. Check your current salary and compare to the averages of graduates: For instance, 3 years after graduation from the Durham program, grads make on average about $101,000 US.

3. Wait a year and you'll be competitive for some EMBA programs, where you won't have to worry about the GMAT. Check out the programs at schools like EM Lyon and Henley. Maybe even the IE/Brown program - although the GMAT is required for that program, but you have the option of taking the IE admissions test instead, if that's easier.
targetmba

Thanks Ralph for the detailed analysis. Really appreciated.

I will prepare for the GMAT and try to boost my score to 720+. The only problem in the last attempt was nervousness in reading comprehension section. I will try to overcome this weakness and target the best schools. After all. MBA is done only once in life.

Thanks again Ralph.

<blockquote>As others have pointed out, right now your profile is not competitive at top schools. The way I see it you have three options:

3. Wait a year and you'll be competitive for some EMBA programs, where you won't have to worry about the GMAT. Check out the programs at schools like EM Lyon and Henley. Maybe even the IE/Brown program - although the GMAT is required for that program, but you have the option of taking the IE admissions test instead, if that's easier.</blockquote>

Thanks Ralph for the detailed analysis. Really appreciated.

I will prepare for the GMAT and try to boost my score to 720+. The only problem in the last attempt was nervousness in reading comprehension section. I will try to overcome this weakness and target the best schools. After all. MBA is done only once in life.

Thanks again Ralph.
kodeA

Poor Profile ????

Are u trying the Negation stuff here ??

8 yrs of Exp in Investment Banking - Bloody good point (IT is huge ocean - by IT we mean coding ur fingers to death)

Grad College- IIT - Bloody Bloody Good Point

+5 yrs Exp in Singapore - (Bloody)* n Good Point

I suggest forget your sorrow (read it as - Have couple of Tequila Shots) Gather your insane spirit together and give GMAT again. Which is the only hitch in your profile.

your 600 was 50Q and V21
If Verbal is improved to 35+ you shall be 720 - 730+

For this you can and I would suggest should join online classes of Knewton or GMAT Pill - which assure 50+ points increase else they return your money
Have read reviews on GMAT Club and these courses are made for lost souls like you and me

Put your heart and soul into preparation. I am sure the 600 was your lazy score.

And Looking at your profile I would recommend you to apply for Nangyang, NTU and HKUST
These colleges shall add 5 star to your already 5 star profile.

and always remember 30 is new 20 \m/ (Don't give me that crap that you are too old to blah blah blah...)
You have a working life of at least 30 yrs ahead of you.. thts lots of time

Poor Profile ????

Are u trying the Negation stuff here ??

8 yrs of Exp in Investment Banking - Bloody good point (IT is huge ocean - by IT we mean coding ur fingers to death)

Grad College- IIT - Bloody Bloody Good Point

+5 yrs Exp in Singapore - (Bloody)* n Good Point

I suggest forget your sorrow (read it as - Have couple of Tequila Shots) Gather your insane spirit together and give GMAT again. Which is the only hitch in your profile.

your 600 was 50Q and V21
If Verbal is improved to 35+ you shall be 720 - 730+

For this you can and I would suggest should join online classes of Knewton or GMAT Pill - which assure 50+ points increase else they return your money
Have read reviews on GMAT Club and these courses are made for lost souls like you and me

Put your heart and soul into preparation. I am sure the 600 was your lazy score.

And Looking at your profile I would recommend you to apply for Nangyang, NTU and HKUST
These colleges shall add 5 star to your already 5 star profile.

and always remember 30 is new 20 \m/ (Don't give me that crap that you are too old to blah blah blah...)
You have a working life of at least 30 yrs ahead of you.. thts lots of time
targetmba

Thanks a lot kodeA.
That's the inspiration I was looking for.

However, cracking a 700+ score in the GMAT will be tough nut because I have an inherent problem in verbal. It takes me forever to understand tough reading comprehension passages and critical reasoning arguments. The GMAT gives a tougher question after answering the easier one correctly, and that's where I lose the game. I have tried many different strategies, but none has worked so far in all three attempts.

I need to tackle this greatest weakness in me so that I can speak and write like a native speaker. This will give me immense confidence to tame the GMAT verbal.
I will retake the test when I am super confident in my reading and writing skills.

Thanks a lot for your motivation kodeA. Really appreciated.

Cheers,
GM

Thanks a lot kodeA.

However, cracking a 700+ score in the GMAT will be tough nut because I have an inherent problem in verbal. It takes me forever to understand tough reading comprehension passages and critical reasoning arguments. The GMAT gives a tougher question after answering the easier one correctly, and that's where I lose the game. I have tried many different strategies, but none has worked so far in all three attempts.

I need to tackle this greatest weakness in me so that I can speak and write like a native speaker. This will give me immense confidence to tame the GMAT verbal.
I will retake the test when I am super confident in my reading and writing skills.

Cheers,
GM
ralph

Like I mentioned earlier, try to get a tutor or some other kind of structured test prep. Many people non-native speakers struggle with the verbal - so a good tutor will be able to objectively target your weaknesses and come up with ways to prepare.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot kodeA.

Cheers,
GM

Like I mentioned earlier, try to get a tutor or some other kind of structured test prep. Many people non-native speakers struggle with the verbal - so a good tutor will be able to objectively target your weaknesses and come up with ways to prepare.

Good luck!

<blockquote>
Thanks a lot kodeA.

Cheers,
GM</blockquote>
targetmba

Good luck!

Thanks Ralph. I did join a GMAT training institute, but it couldn't help me in getting a descent score.
My only problem is my super-poor English vocabulary, which gives me tears while reading articles (reading comprehension passages), especially the tough ones in economist.com
I am thinking of practicing LSAT CR and RC, which are considered much tougher than the GMAT ones.

I have one more hurdle ahead. I have to take Project Management Professional (PMP) test in March. So, I won't be able to study for GMAT for these two months.

The only thing that has kept me motivated is - HOPE. I hope one day I will get a 730+ GMAT score and join my dream business school - Chicago Booth.

Let's see how it goes.

Thanks all for your continued help.
GM.

<blockquote>Like I mentioned earlier, try to get a tutor or some other kind of structured test prep. Many people non-native speakers struggle with the verbal - so a good tutor will be able to objectively target your weaknesses and come up with ways to prepare.

Good luck!

</blockquote>

Thanks Ralph. I did join a GMAT training institute, but it couldn't help me in getting a descent score.
My only problem is my super-poor English vocabulary, which gives me tears while reading articles (reading comprehension passages), especially the tough ones in economist.com
I am thinking of practicing LSAT CR and RC, which are considered much tougher than the GMAT ones.

I have one more hurdle ahead. I have to take Project Management Professional (PMP) test in March. So, I won't be able to study for GMAT for these two months.

The only thing that has kept me motivated is - HOPE. I hope one day I will get a 730+ GMAT score and join my dream business school - Chicago Booth.

Let's see how it goes.

GM.
kodeA

Good luck!

Hey once again,

If it is you who is writing your posts, which are written in understandable English.
Even if you no Shakespeare, but getting a 30 -35 in Verbal should be very much do-able for you.

All the best for your PMP
And do join a course for Verbal later.
e-GMAT is rated one of the best for Verbal training, specially for non-natives.

Knewton is good too, I can say coz I have joined the course.

Have heard good feedbacks on GMAT Pill as well, but not sure on this, I would suggest you do your own research for this.
As I chose Knewton over GMAT Pill

Cheers :)

Let's see how it goes.

GM.

<blockquote>Like I mentioned earlier, try to get a tutor or some other kind of structured test prep. Many people non-native speakers struggle with the verbal - so a good tutor will be able to objectively target your weaknesses and come up with ways to prepare.

Good luck!

</blockquote>

Hey once again,

If it is you who is writing your posts, which are written in understandable English.
Even if you no Shakespeare, but getting a 30 -35 in Verbal should be very much do-able for you.

All the best for your PMP
And do join a course for Verbal later.
e-GMAT is rated one of the best for Verbal training, specially for non-natives.

Knewton is good too, I can say coz I have joined the course.

Have heard good feedbacks on GMAT Pill as well, but not sure on this, I would suggest you do your own research for this.
As I chose Knewton over GMAT Pill

Cheers :)

Let's see how it goes.

GM.</blockquote>
jarvan

One word, LOL.

anyway. you seem fine but your English is really crizap. not to mention you have loo for self esteem.

dont bother waking up, much less advancing in your life if you havnt gotten the idea that those are your two main issues.

good luck.

ya i intetionaly wrote badly on this post, jsut for fun.

:)

One word, LOL.

anyway. you seem fine but your English is really crizap. not to mention you have loo for self esteem.

dont bother waking up, much less advancing in your life if you havnt gotten the idea that those are your two main issues.

good luck.

ya i intetionaly wrote badly on this post, jsut for fun.

:)

I would strongly suggest nanand to go for some personality development courses first !

I would strongly suggest nanand to go for some personality development courses first !

<blockquote><blockquote>Yeah i would second that your profile is really pathetic for any good business school. The worst part is decline in your GMAT score which would be the most negative point in your application to any of the top business schools.

</blockquote>

Thanks for your encouraging words nanand.</blockquote>
targetmba

Hi All,

Just wanted to share some good news with all of you - I got acceptance letters from ESADE and Queen's MBA.
Although it's tough to choose between the two, i'll join Queen's MBA because of poor market conditions in Europe and comparatively better Canadian Market.

Thanks again to all of you for your continued help.

Cheers.
GM.

Hi All,

Just wanted to share some good news with all of you - I got acceptance letters from ESADE and Queen's MBA.
Although it's tough to choose between the two, i'll join Queen's MBA because of poor market conditions in Europe and comparatively better Canadian Market.

Thanks again to all of you for your continued help.

Cheers.
GM.

targetmba,

Congrats !

Before finalizing the decisions and joining at one of these two, please seek opinions from Canadian job market through friends and relatives.
Assuming that you are an Indian, getting a good job in Canada for a non-Canadian is really difficult.
Not at all to discourage you. But just sharing with you what I heard and experienced.
It is a good idea to do an accredited US MBA.
Just relax and think. You are not too late !

targetmba,

Congrats !

Before finalizing the decisions and joining at one of these two, please seek opinions from Canadian job market through friends and relatives.
Assuming that you are an Indian, getting a good job in Canada for a non-Canadian is really difficult.
Not at all to discourage you. But just sharing with you what I heard and experienced.

ralph

Indeed - since the US economy is so much bigger than Canada's, there are probably more working opportunities. That's not to say that his chances are bad in Canada - at the very least, he'll at least be guaranteed a visa there to work for a year, which is better than many other countries.

Indeed - since the US economy is so much bigger than Canada's, there are probably more working opportunities. That's not to say that his chances are bad in Canada - at the very least, he'll at least be guaranteed a visa there to work for a year, which is better than many other countries.

<blockquote>Assuming that you are an Indian, getting a good job in Canada for a non-Canadian is really difficult.

</blockquote>
tammy

Congrats for your Admission....

you have an exceptional profile and all the negative comments above are just because you have presented your profile in a negative way. neither 640 is a Bad GMAT score nor career in IT makes ur profile bad.

I have a feeling that you wanted people to praise you by looking at your profile and that's the reason you presented it in a negative way.you have a exceptional profile and no B school can deny you admission just bcoz of ur GMAT.

Best of luck for your MBA......:)

Hi,

Thanks
GM.

Congrats for your Admission....

you have an exceptional profile and all the negative comments above are just because you have presented your profile in a negative way. neither 640 is a Bad GMAT score nor career in IT makes ur profile bad.

I have a feeling that you wanted people to praise you by looking at your profile and that's the reason you presented it in a negative way.you have a exceptional profile and no B school can deny you admission just bcoz of ur GMAT.

Best of luck for your MBA......:)

<blockquote>Hi,

Thanks
GM.</blockquote>
targetmba

Hi tammy,

Thanks for the confidence boost.
I formed this opinion after many schools (Rotman, Hass etc.) asked me not to apply with this GMAT score.

Not only me, but anyone can get admission with this score, but cannot get scholarship.

Cheers
GM

Hi tammy,

Thanks for the confidence boost.
I formed this opinion after many schools (Rotman, Hass etc.) asked me not to apply with this GMAT score.

Not only me, but anyone can get admission with this score, but cannot get scholarship.

Cheers
GM

Hi,

Thanks
GM.

why do u worry first of all ?? there have been cases where students have got scholarship in 640 in HEC paris .

Try to do something out of the way at your orginization , maybe associate with an international body ,serve at red cross , or just something that may outshine you !!

<blockquote>Hi,

Thanks
GM.</blockquote>

why do u worry first of all ?? there have been cases where students have got scholarship in 640 in HEC paris .

Try to do something out of the way at your orginization , maybe associate with an international body ,serve at red cross , or just something that may outshine you !!

Hi,

Thanks
GM.

Your weak point is verbal , same with me :-) , try focus on verbal why not enroll for some classes ?? get some professional help , it's simple - " If u want to have things that u don't have , then start doing things that u have'nt done yet "!!
So don't follow what u have been doing ,bcoz it will give u the same result !! Take guidance of a good teacher !!

<blockquote><blockquote>Hi,

Thanks
GM.</blockquote>

Your weak point is verbal , same with me :-) , try focus on verbal why not enroll for some classes ?? get some professional help , it's simple - " If u want to have things that u don't have , then start doing things that u have'nt done yet "!!
So don't follow what u have been doing ,bcoz it will give u the same result !! Take guidance of a good teacher !!

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Gent, Belgium 13 Followers 93 Discussions
St. Gallen, Switzerland 44 Followers 142 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 34 Followers 179 Discussions
Bradford, United Kingdom 45 Followers 317 Discussions
Durham, United Kingdom 74 Followers 400 Discussions
Leeds, United Kingdom 18 Followers 164 Discussions
Full Profile
Ecully, France 55 Followers 141 Discussions
Tilburg, Netherlands 22 Followers 79 Discussions
St. Petersburg, Russia 6 Followers 29 Discussions
Dubai, United Arab Emirates 25 Followers 88 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 31 Followers 77 Discussions
San Francisco, California 28 Followers 40 Discussions
New York City, New York 6 Followers 21 Discussions
Edinburgh, United Kingdom 35 Followers 267 Discussions
Dublin, Ireland 35 Followers 133 Discussions
Glasgow, United Kingdom 53 Followers 475 Discussions
Kingston, Canada 36 Followers 74 Discussions
Cape Town, South Africa 30 Followers 32 Discussions
Leuven, Belgium 14 Followers 53 Discussions
Frederiksberg, Denmark 57 Followers 75 Discussions
Lausanne, Switzerland 46 Followers 155 Discussions
Madrid, Spain 114 Followers 368 Discussions
Birmingham, United Kingdom 35 Followers 283 Discussions
Reading, United Kingdom 21 Followers 207 Discussions
Full Profile
Jouy-en-Josas, France 100 Followers 387 Discussions
Barcelona, Spain 49 Followers 245 Discussions
Madrid, Spain 6 Followers 134 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 31 Followers 162 Discussions
Glendale, Arizona 22 Followers 66 Discussions
Geneva, Switzerland 1 Follower 4 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

Top 10 MBA Progams for a 640 GMAT Score

Top List

If you’ve scored 640 on the GMAT, by many indications, you have done well. A 640 on the GMAT means that you have outscored the majority of test-takers, coming in at the 68th percentile. This bodes well if you are interested in applying to a decent MBA program.

Hot Discussions