MEDIOCRE GMAT FROM GREECE

Stevenkgr

Dear all,
I have the below problem

Nationality : Greek (yes that is possible!!)

Age at enrollment 31
GPA 3,8
GMAT SCORE : 650 ( 6th time)
W/E 5 years in a multinational FMCG Company,
Finance Department
Middle management (5 subordinates).
Military Service.
District Representative of a international service club ( leader of 9 clubs in Greece / 150+ volunteers)
Active Volunteer in 2004 Olympic games.

Schools I would like to attand are in order of preference:

TUCK (Dream school)
HBS
Yale
Wharton
Kellog
Chicago
MIT

My concern is the low GMAT score I have, in addition to the 6th time I forced my self to acquire it. I am not fond of excuses, but you may all know what is happening is Greece. Employees are fired by thousands and the remaining ones are working endless hours.More to this, I managed not only to stay in my company but also to promote to a managerial position despite the crisis, a fact that compells me to stay even longer at work

I have heard that TUCK is considering the two highest scores in application. So considering this fact, my highest Quant is 49 & my highest Verbal is 34.

I would be most than greatful to have an honest response to my inquiry. It is truly important for me, in order to proceed.

Regards,

Stavros K

Dear all,
I have the below problem

Nationality : Greek (yes that is possible!!)

Age at enrollment 31
GPA 3,8
GMAT SCORE : 650 ( 6th time)
W/E 5 years in a multinational FMCG Company,
Finance Department
Middle management (5 subordinates).
Military Service.
District Representative of a international service club ( leader of 9 clubs in Greece / 150+ volunteers)
Active Volunteer in 2004 Olympic games.

Schools I would like to attand are in order of preference:

TUCK (Dream school)
HBS
Yale
Wharton
Kellog
Chicago
MIT

My concern is the low GMAT score I have, in addition to the 6th time I forced my self to acquire it. I am not fond of excuses, but you may all know what is happening is Greece. Employees are fired by thousands and the remaining ones are working endless hours.More to this, I managed not only to stay in my company but also to promote to a managerial position despite the crisis, a fact that compells me to stay even longer at work

I have heard that TUCK is considering the two highest scores in application. So considering this fact, my highest Quant is 49 & my highest Verbal is 34.

I would be most than greatful to have an honest response to my inquiry. It is truly important for me, in order to proceed.

Regards,

Stavros K
Duncan

Tuck is a great school. I spent a semester there as an exchange student. It's also a small school with a great admissions team who give really personal attention to interesting candidates, just just email them and follow up with a call.

However... please read this: http://www.find-mba.com/board/27082

I am all in favour of people having stretch schools, but your list is only stretch schools and you also need to think about schools where you might be a competitive candidate, and also think of a safety school. I don't need to tell you that there are a lot of candidates coming out of Greece now, so apply early before the 'quota' gets filled up. They have to leave space for the Spaniards.

Tuck is a great school. I spent a semester there as an exchange student. It's also a small school with a great admissions team who give really personal attention to interesting candidates, just just email them and follow up with a call.

However... please read this: http://www.find-mba.com/board/27082

I am all in favour of people having stretch schools, but your list is only stretch schools and you also need to think about schools where you might be a competitive candidate, and also think of a safety school. I don't need to tell you that there are a lot of candidates coming out of Greece now, so apply early before the 'quota' gets filled up. They have to leave space for the Spaniards.
Stevenkgr

Jk Dunkun,

Thank you very much for your Reply!It seems that the adcoms pay more serious attention to GMAT than they allege to their sites.It is somehow weird..I am considering DARDEN & FUQUA, which despite their high mean GMAT score they have a greater range, in which I may fit.
Too many Greeks??That is again weird!!

Thank you very much again!!

Jk Dunkun,

Thank you very much for your Reply!It seems that the adcoms pay more serious attention to GMAT than they allege to their sites.It is somehow weird..I am considering DARDEN & FUQUA, which despite their high mean GMAT score they have a greater range, in which I may fit.
Too many Greeks??That is again weird!!

Thank you very much again!!
Duncan

Well, too much of a good thing is just too much. Lots of people apply to both Darden and Tuck: they are great general management schools with very intensive first years. I also look a course at Darden, and while it's a great school it doesn't have Tuck's resources. But it does have a much better bathrobe.

Well, too much of a good thing is just too much. Lots of people apply to both Darden and Tuck: they are great general management schools with very intensive first years. I also look a course at Darden, and while it's a great school it doesn't have Tuck's resources. But it does have a much better bathrobe.

nanand1977

My friend recently took GMAT but skipped AWA section, will it pose any negative impression to the adcom. He is just wondering to know if AWA section is really important while submitting GMAT score to bschools. Any thoughts / experiences would be highly appreciated.

My friend recently took GMAT but skipped AWA section, will it pose any negative impression to the adcom. He is just wondering to know if AWA section is really important while submitting GMAT score to bschools. Any thoughts / experiences would be highly appreciated.
Stevenkgr

I by mistake sent you my answer privately.. are you from Greece??

I by mistake sent you my answer privately.. are you from Greece??
ezra

My friend recently took GMAT but skipped AWA section, will it pose any negative impression to the adcom.

Although the analytical writing assessment section doesn't affect your general score, it's never a good idea to skip it. This section can be especially important for international students, because admissions committees want to know if you can effectively convey your ideas in written English.

A "0" for the whole section will definitely raise red flags.

<blockquote>My friend recently took GMAT but skipped AWA section, will it pose any negative impression to the adcom.</blockquote>
Although the analytical writing assessment section doesn't affect your general score, it's never a good idea to skip it. This section can be especially important for international students, because admissions committees want to know if you can effectively convey your ideas in written English.

A "0" for the whole section will definitely raise red flags.
Duncan

As an MBA interviewer I would expect this person to retake the exam.

As an MBA interviewer I would expect this person to retake the exam.
ezra

It seems that the adcoms pay more serious attention to GMAT than they allege to their sites.

Well, with all the applicants these schools receive, a numerical score is a very easy way to quickly categorize applicants. With some exceptions, students with stronger GMAT scores perform better in MBA programs. Is this system foolproof? No, but it's a good indicator of basic management capacity.

In any case, I'd suggest adding some other schools to your list - like Purdue/Krannert and Florida/Hough - just for safety's sake.

<blockquote>It seems that the adcoms pay more serious attention to GMAT than they allege to their sites.</blockquote>
Well, with all the applicants these schools receive, a numerical score is a very easy way to quickly categorize applicants. With some exceptions, students with stronger GMAT scores perform better in MBA programs. Is this system foolproof? No, but it's a good indicator of basic management capacity.

In any case, I'd suggest adding some other schools to your list - like Purdue/Krannert and Florida/Hough - just for safety's sake.
Stevenkgr

It seems that the adcoms pay more serious attention to GMAT than they allege to their sites.

Thank you very much for the reply!!It was one of the few times someone did not use clishe and talked directly and honestly!I was afraid that I would hear something such as "give it a try and draft stellar essays.. And you are in"

Allow me to somehow question the candidates ability to excel business studies based on the GMAT.
A recent graduate, with no job to do has plenty time to study and excel at the test.
I work(and many others) 14-15hour/day, and my manager does not know that I intend to leave.So I have almost 1hour left to study after 12 o clock at midnight in order to study for the thing.
An other collegue of mine quited (same hours with me)to work on his mother's food enterprise and make for himself some more time to study.
He wrote 740.
He is in Boston right now.

Unfortunately I do not have this capability.My mother is a great cooker!!Nothing else!!

However I agree with you that a metric shall exist!But this shall act only as metric not as management ability...I guess...

<blockquote><blockquote>It seems that the adcoms pay more serious attention to GMAT than they allege to their sites.</blockquote>

In any case, I'd suggest adding some other schools to your list - like Purdue/Krannert and Florida/Hough - just for safety's sake.</blockquote>

Thank you very much for the reply!!It was one of the few times someone did not use clishe and talked directly and honestly!I was afraid that I would hear something such as "give it a try and draft stellar essays.. And you are in"

Allow me to somehow question the candidates ability to excel business studies based on the GMAT.
A recent graduate, with no job to do has plenty time to study and excel at the test.
I work(and many others) 14-15hour/day, and my manager does not know that I intend to leave.So I have almost 1hour left to study after 12 o clock at midnight in order to study for the thing.
An other collegue of mine quited (same hours with me)to work on his mother's food enterprise and make for himself some more time to study.
He wrote 740.
He is in Boston right now.

Unfortunately I do not have this capability.My mother is a great cooker!!Nothing else!!

However I agree with you that a metric shall exist!But this shall act only as metric not as management ability...I guess...
Duncan

Honestly, the test is not that hard. I used a book with a CD and just practised on the test until I got over 650. I can't have spent more than 15 hours on the test and 20 hours with a remedial algebra book (and my degree is in theology - so no numbers higher than 12).

Honestly, the test is not that hard. I used a book with a CD and just practised on the test until I got over 650. I can't have spent more than 15 hours on the test and 20 hours with a remedial algebra book (and my degree is in theology - so no numbers higher than 12).
Stevenkgr

GOD helped you. . .!!So again the test is biased!!
(just joking..)
Yes.. the opinions on the test are numerous and rather different..others study for years(many chinesse & indians) and others are simply good at it...
Your comments, Dunkan however are great, and I would like you to elllaborate further..Others are simply saying "nice" words...
If I sit it again and let's say the score is7xx+ would this make a difference or the time I have sit it are one too many for this...
??

<blockquote>Honestly, the test is not that hard. I used a book with a CD and just practised on the test until I got over 650. I can't have spent more than 15 hours on the test and 20 hours with a remedial algebra book (and my degree is in theology - so no numbers higher than 12).</blockquote>

GOD helped you. . .!!So again the test is biased!!
(just joking..)
Yes.. the opinions on the test are numerous and rather different..others study for years(many chinesse & indians) and others are simply good at it...
Your comments, Dunkan however are great, and I would like you to elllaborate further..Others are simply saying "nice" words...
If I sit it again and let's say the score is7xx+ would this make a difference or the time I have sit it are one too many for this...
??

Duncan

Well, only you can decide on whether the time is worthwhile. I realised that you think you don't have a lot of time but, actually, you will be working harder at Tuck.

If you have 650 now, then you'll get 670 next time even with no real work just because you'll be calmer and more comfortable about the test.. As a Greek, admissions committees will expect you to have a lower GMAT than Americans. It's worth a 20 point bump. So if you do more serious study and get a further 20 through learning more then you are getting close.

And, quite seriously, just make an appointment to speak to the guys at Tuck. If you don't fit Tuck then then will tell you... and will probably make some alternative suggestions.

Well, only you can decide on whether the time is worthwhile. I realised that you think you don't have a lot of time but, actually, you will be working harder at Tuck.

If you have 650 now, then you'll get 670 next time even with no real work just because you'll be calmer and more comfortable about the test.. As a Greek, admissions committees will expect you to have a lower GMAT than Americans. It's worth a 20 point bump. So if you do more serious study and get a further 20 through learning more then you are getting close.

And, quite seriously, just make an appointment to speak to the guys at Tuck. If you don't fit Tuck then then will tell you... and will probably make some alternative suggestions.
Stevenkgr

Thank you again for your kind response..
You mean the adcom or the alumni??

<blockquote>Well, only you can decide on whether the time is worthwhile. I realised that you think you don't have a lot of time but, actually, you will be working harder at Tuck.

And, quite seriously, just make an appointment to speak to the guys at Tuck. If you don't fit Tuck then then will tell you... and will probably make some alternative suggestions.</blockquote>

Thank you again for your kind response..
You mean the adcom or the alumni??
Duncan

Contact the admissions team.

Contact the admissions team.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

New Haven, Connecticut 42 Followers 62 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 53 Followers 175 Discussions
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 67 Followers 172 Discussions
Charlottesville, Virginia 27 Followers 62 Discussions
Hanover, New Hampshire 16 Followers 49 Discussions
Boston, Massachusetts 85 Followers 204 Discussions