Low GPA but higher GMAT

hug88912

I want to do my MBA, but I didn't do too well in my undergrad (my GPA would convert to about 2.1 on a 4.0 scale.) It was a long time ago (6 years) and I scored high on the GMAT (760).

Can anybody advise me about business schools that would be forgiving about my poor GPA? I would like to study in either the USA, Canada, or England.

I want to do my MBA, but I didn't do too well in my undergrad (my GPA would convert to about 2.1 on a 4.0 scale.) It was a long time ago (6 years) and I scored high on the GMAT (760).

Can anybody advise me about business schools that would be forgiving about my poor GPA? I would like to study in either the USA, Canada, or England.
Duncan

If you have several years work experience then I don't think MBA programs will be too concerned.

If you have several years work experience then I don't think MBA programs will be too concerned.
Inactive User

The average GPA for admitted candidates at most top schools is in the 3.5 range, so your GPA is substantially under that, and could raise a red flag for some admissions committees.

I would at the very least address this in your application essays.

The average GPA for admitted candidates at most top schools is in the 3.5 range, so your GPA is substantially under that, and could raise a red flag for some admissions committees.

I would at the very least address this in your application essays.
hug88912

Well, that's positive! Can you suggest a few MBA programs that I can apply to? Do you think that I would have a chance at top schools like LBS or NYU - Stern?

Well, that's positive! Can you suggest a few MBA programs that I can apply to? Do you think that I would have a chance at top schools like LBS or NYU - Stern?
Inactive User

In general, I shouldn't think a low GPA would be that big of a problem, if your work experience is solid and you have good letters of recommendations/essays.

However, just to be safe I'd apply to at least one safety school, where you outscore the average GMAT of typical cohorts. So if you're looking at London, there's Cranfield or Imperial, and in New York you could look at something like Zicklin for example.

In general, I shouldn't think a low GPA would be that big of a problem, if your work experience is solid and you have good letters of recommendations/essays.

However, just to be safe I'd apply to at least one safety school, where you outscore the average GMAT of typical cohorts. So if you're looking at London, there's Cranfield or Imperial, and in New York you could look at something like Zicklin for example.
hug88912

Ok I see. Hopefully my letters of recommendation are strong enough but I'll apply to a safety school as well, as you suggested.

Ok I see. Hopefully my letters of recommendation are strong enough but I'll apply to a safety school as well, as you suggested.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

New York City, New York 177 Followers 249 Discussions
Bedford, United Kingdom 44 Followers 413 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 168 Followers 475 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 107 Followers 348 Discussions
New York City, New York 78 Followers 68 Discussions

Other Related Content

Aug 23, 2023

Book One-to-One Sessions with Imperial College Business School Recruiters

News Aug 23, 2023

Can a Low GPA Hurt Your MBA Admissions Chances?

Article Aug 20, 2014

Undergrad performance is important for MBA admissions, but it's not everything