Low GMAT score! :(

Inactive User

I am a typical case of a wannabe IT Engineer failing to achieve much in 4 years after my college. Recently, when I was denied a promotion even after a score card of 4, I decided to go for an MBA. I know it would sound crazy but at least it will show my frustration. I decided to prepare for GMAT on July 01, 2012 and I am taking it on July19, 2012.(Please don't laugh!)
To my credit I have below experience:
1. Tech Support Analyst - 1 year
2. Lecturer in a govt college- 1 year
3. Software engineer- 2 years (finally:() [This job has brought me 3 professional awards already]

The scores what I am getting in test preps after a short prep is in the range 550-570(Verbal- 27-30, Quant- 37-41).
But, I so frustrated here in my job that I do not want to wait even a single year and go for an MBA. I am so frustrated that I am open even to rank 250 in US.

Please do not suggest me to prepare more, if you can suggest me colleges which will be value for money rather than fetching a high paying job.

I am a typical case of a wannabe IT Engineer failing to achieve much in 4 years after my college. Recently, when I was denied a promotion even after a score card of 4, I decided to go for an MBA. I know it would sound crazy but at least it will show my frustration. I decided to prepare for GMAT on July 01, 2012 and I am taking it on July19, 2012.(Please don't laugh!)
To my credit I have below experience:
1. Tech Support Analyst - 1 year
2. Lecturer in a govt college- 1 year
3. Software engineer- 2 years (finally:() [This job has brought me 3 professional awards already]

The scores what I am getting in test preps after a short prep is in the range 550-570(Verbal- 27-30, Quant- 37-41).
But, I so frustrated here in my job that I do not want to wait even a single year and go for an MBA. I am so frustrated that I am open even to rank 250 in US.

Please do not suggest me to prepare more, if you can suggest me colleges which will be value for money rather than fetching a high paying job.
Duncan

I guess these would rank around 100th in the US, and all have average GMATs under 570:
University of Arizona (Eller) (AZ)
Florida State University (FL)
DePaul University (Kellstadt) (IL)
Howard University (DC)
Oklahoma State University (Spears)
Pace University (Lubin) (NY)
Clarkson University (NY)
Willamette University (Atkinson) (OR)
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey--Camden
University of Kansas (KS)

I guess these would rank around 100th in the US, and all have average GMATs under 570:
University of Arizona (Eller) (AZ)
Howard University (DC)
Clarkson University (NY)
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey--Camden
University of Kansas (KS)
Inactive User

Hey Duncan,

I was expecting a reply from you, thanks.
Meanwhile, Hult IBS is calling me for admission in San Francisco Campus. What are my chances for Hult and is it a profitable investment?

Few more highlights on my profile are: I may not be so good at acads but I have been good on extra-curricular activities. Been the editor of school and college magazines. Have been class representative and college representatives. Does it add to my profile.

I have a National certificate of 240 hour social service too.

Thanks.

Hey Duncan,

I was expecting a reply from you, thanks.
Meanwhile, Hult IBS is calling me for admission in San Francisco Campus. What are my chances for Hult and is it a profitable investment?

Few more highlights on my profile are: I may not be so good at acads but I have been good on extra-curricular activities. Been the editor of school and college magazines. Have been class representative and college representatives. Does it add to my profile.

I have a National certificate of 240 hour social service too.

Thanks.
Duncan

I never heard of Hult declining a candidate, so I am sure you would get admitted. I think a university would be better for you though, and the two year MBA model would be better for goals.

I never heard of Hult declining a candidate, so I am sure you would get admitted. I think a university would be better for you though, and the two year MBA model would be better for goals.
Inactive User

Duncan,

Which is the best bet in the college list you have provided (please answer in terms of return)?

Thanks!

Duncan,

Which is the best bet in the college list you have provided (please answer in terms of return)?

Thanks!
Duncan

Arizona and DePaul have higher salaries.

Arizona and DePaul have higher salaries.
nathakur

hi Duncan
I have been planning to do MBA in finance, management, or health, from USA
But my problem is that i didn't have maths in my higher secondary and i m not sure whether i would be able to score my gmat or not
So can u pls suggest me the universities which offer an MBA program without requiring the GMAT
thanks

hi Duncan
I have been planning to do MBA in finance, management, or health, from USA
But my problem is that i didn't have maths in my higher secondary and i m not sure whether i would be able to score my gmat or not
So can u pls suggest me the universities which offer an MBA program without requiring the GMAT
thanks
Duncan

No, I think it will be better for you to improve your maths. The GMAT doesn't really have much harder maths that what 16 year olds have to learn. But if you can get to that level, you'll be able to get into a much better MBA. As you can imagine, employers are less interested in MBA programmes where the students don't have at least high-school skills with numbers.

No, I think it will be better for you to improve your maths. The GMAT doesn't really have much harder maths that what 16 year olds have to learn. But if you can get to that level, you'll be able to get into a much better MBA. As you can imagine, employers are less interested in MBA programmes where the students don't have at least high-school skills with numbers.
Inactive User

Hey Duncan,

Hope to get response from you again.
I took my GMAT today and bombed myself. I scored a 19-47 instead of a 30-40 promised earlier. My score has remained what I guessed eatlier.Does this kind of score hamper my application? Please guide, I am clueless right nw.

Thanks for earlier replies.

:(

Hey Duncan,

Hope to get response from you again.
I took my GMAT today and bombed myself. I scored a 19-47 instead of a 30-40 promised earlier. My score has remained what I guessed eatlier.Does this kind of score hamper my application? Please guide, I am clueless right nw.

Thanks for earlier replies.

Duncan

Yes, unless you improve your maths you'll find it harder to get into a better programme.

Yes, unless you improve your maths you'll find it harder to get into a better programme.
Inactive User

Duncan,

Its the other way around. I got 47 in Quants and 19 in Verbal.

Duncan,

Its the other way around. I got 47 in Quants and 19 in Verbal.

Duncan

Well, look again at the schools I mentioned earlier and start to work on your English :)

Well, look again at the schools I mentioned earlier and start to work on your English :)
Inactive User

Will this big difference in two scores affect anything?

Will this big difference in two scores affect anything?
Duncan

I think it makes you less attractive to schools with fewer international students, and those that use the case method intensively (because a weak verbal score means you'll struggle in classroom discussions). Out of the schools I mentioned earlier, I suggest you focus on:
Clarkson University (NY)

I think it makes you less attractive to schools with fewer international students, and those that use the case method intensively (because a weak verbal score means you'll struggle in classroom discussions). Out of the schools I mentioned earlier, I suggest you focus on:
Clarkson University (NY)
Inactive User

This DePaul is really tempting with below figures :

Number of Applicants 320
Number of Admitted Students 285
Acceptance Rate 89.1%
Items required to be admitted.
Admission Requirements Essay
Extracurricular Activities
Letters of Recommendation
Work Experience

The non-refundable cost to submit an application.
Application Fee $60

http://business-schools.findthebest.com/l/262/DePaul-University-Kellstadt-IL

I am not sure of the below much , but as you said it really has good placemnets, so be it:
Average Post-Graduation Salary $73,546

I have started my application at Williammete, but I read that whatever exp I have would be a waste over there(?)

Thanks.

This DePaul is really tempting with below figures :

Number of Applicants 320
Number of Admitted Students 285
Acceptance Rate 89.1%
Items required to be admitted.
Admission Requirements Essay
Extracurricular Activities
Letters of Recommendation
Work Experience

The non-refundable cost to submit an application.
Application Fee $60

http://business-schools.findthebest.com/l/262/DePaul-University-Kellstadt-IL

I am not sure of the below much , but as you said it really has good placemnets, so be it:
Average Post-Graduation Salary $73,546

I have started my application at Williammete, but I read that whatever exp I have would be a waste over there(?)

Thanks.
Duncan

One other great thing about DePaul is that full-time students are welcome in its flexible (usually part-time) programme. That allows you to get a better quality of classmate, and better US networking, while still having full-time visa status. The 'real' full-time programme's applications have closed, but the flexible MBA has rolling admissions.

One other great thing about DePaul is that full-time students are welcome in its flexible (usually part-time) programme. That allows you to get a better quality of classmate, and better US networking, while still having full-time visa status. The 'real' full-time programme's applications have closed, but the flexible MBA has rolling admissions.
Inactive User

Does that make us free for part time jobs as well? I am yet to find a discussion board on this college.

Does that make us free for part time jobs as well? I am yet to find a discussion board on this college.
Duncan

As a full-time international student in the US, you can only work on campus.

As a full-time international student in the US, you can only work on campus.
Inactive User

Yes, I had the idea of that but I wasnt so sure. Thanks!

Between, can you please tell me how do we calculate the average outstanding debt at the time of the graduation? For Williamette and DePaul I was seeing it in range of $ 25k. Also, the average scholarship per student was given as $ 25 k (I cant quote the source as I seem to have it missed), is that true for DePaul?

Yes, I had the idea of that but I wasnt so sure. Thanks!

Between, can you please tell me how do we calculate the average outstanding debt at the time of the graduation? For Williamette and DePaul I was seeing it in range of $ 25k. Also, the average scholarship per student was given as $ 25 k (I cant quote the source as I seem to have it missed), is that true for DePaul?
Duncan

I don;t have that data, but the schools can give it to you. However, as an international student I don't think you can assume that you'll have average outcomes when it comes to scholarships and financial aid. Again, you should speak to the schools -- and look at the size if their endowments for a rough indication of relative wealth.

I don;t have that data, but the schools can give it to you. However, as an international student I don't think you can assume that you'll have average outcomes when it comes to scholarships and financial aid. Again, you should speak to the schools -- and look at the size if their endowments for a rough indication of relative wealth.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Washington, District of Columbia 9 Followers 12 Discussions
Stillwater, Oklahoma 6 Followers 8 Discussions
Potsdam, New York 7 Followers 5 Discussions
Camden, New Jersey 9 Followers 6 Discussions
Lawrence, Kansas 6 Followers 10 Discussions
Chicago, Illinois 19 Followers 34 Discussions
Tucson, Arizona 6 Followers 18 Discussions
New York City, New York 43 Followers 41 Discussions
Tallahassee, Florida 18 Followers 18 Discussions
Salem, Oregon 8 Followers 14 Discussions

Other Related Content

MBA Admissions: How to Improve Your GMAT Score

Article Jan 20, 2017

The GMAT isn’t the make-or-break factor for getting into a top-choice business school, but a high score always puts the shine on an application. The test can be grueling, however; here are some pointers and insight for how to get an upper hand on the standardized exam.

Top 10 MBA Programs in the US for Low GMAT Scores

Top List

Have a lower-than-average GMAT and want to apply to a US MBA program? These MBAs punch above their weight, in terms of average GMAT scores.

Hot Discussions