Is it too late

gmat4tanu

Hi All,
I am an IT professional - 37 years of age . Wanted to know the opinion of the members here that is it too late to do an MBA .

Highlights of my profile :
I did my BTech from a tier 3 college in India with a poo 6. 8 GPA ( no excuses - just didn't study )

Started my own company got some angel funding - but then had to move out for a regular 9 - 5 job ( financial constraints) after a stint of 2 years

Worked for top startups in India - for 8 out of 10 years of professional career as software engineer / architect

Also worked in Cisco for a couple of years as an architect / sr developer

GMAT score - 710

Hi All,
I am an IT professional - 37 years of age . Wanted to know the opinion of the members here that is it too late to do an MBA .

Highlights of my profile :
I did my BTech from a tier 3 college in India with a poo 6. 8 GPA ( no excuses - just didn't study )

Started my own company got some angel funding - but then had to move out for a regular 9 - 5 job ( financial constraints) after a stint of 2 years

Worked for top startups in India - for 8 out of 10 years of professional career as software engineer / architect

Also worked in Cisco for a couple of years as an architect / sr developer

GMAT score - 710
Duncan

It's not too late. What are your goals?

It's not too late. What are your goals?
gmat4tanu

My main goal is to get a brand behind my name which can aid me into moving to Director / CXO level positions

I also have a job hopper tag associated with me - due to nature of startups I had to move out from a couple of companies within a span of 6 months ( I think this is also a negative) .

Please advise .

My main goal is to get a brand behind my name which can aid me into moving to Director / CXO level positions

I also have a job hopper tag associated with me - due to nature of startups I had to move out from a couple of companies within a span of 6 months ( I think this is also a negative) .

Please advise .
MBAmate

Hi

Interesting profile..As you say you want a good brand name in to your profile and considering the GMAT score you have. consider some good European B Schools along with learning at least one european language. As you have a technical background. you can still get in to a good company and simultaneously keep improving your language skills. Companies SAP can be a potential employer for you at the internship level . so when you join a program take this in to consideration. I would suggest to go for a less competitive course where you can easily complete the program and simultaneously engage in profound industry networking.

Hi

Interesting profile..As you say you want a good brand name in to your profile and considering the GMAT score you have. consider some good European B Schools along with learning at least one european language. As you have a technical background. you can still get in to a good company and simultaneously keep improving your language skills. Companies SAP can be a potential employer for you at the internship level . so when you join a program take this in to consideration. I would suggest to go for a less competitive course where you can easily complete the program and simultaneously engage in profound industry networking.
Duncan

I think a one-year programme makes sense, and Europe has some of the best options but not the only ones. The Nanyang Fellows programme comes to mind, and also Nanjang's joint Singapore-Japan MBA. The 3S MBA between Shanghai, Korea and Singapore too, also IBEAR at USC, MSx at Stanford, the Sloan Fellow's master at LBS or MIT. The classic choice for a candidate like this might IMD or Cambridge.

I think a one-year programme makes sense, and Europe has some of the best options but not the only ones. The Nanyang Fellows programme comes to mind, and also Nanjang's joint Singapore-Japan MBA. The 3S MBA between Shanghai, Korea and Singapore too, also IBEAR at USC, MSx at Stanford, the Sloan Fellow's master at LBS or MIT. The classic choice for a candidate like this might IMD or Cambridge.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Los Angeles, California 103 Followers 120 Discussions
Stanford, California 96 Followers 171 Discussions
Lausanne, Switzerland 46 Followers 155 Discussions
Cambridge, Massachusetts 52 Followers 175 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 168 Followers 475 Discussions
Cambridge, United Kingdom 53 Followers 289 Discussions

Other Related Content

Feb 07, 2024

London Business School Announces New 1-Year MBA

News Feb 07, 2024

Can a Low GPA Hurt Your MBA Admissions Chances?

Article Aug 20, 2014

Undergrad performance is important for MBA admissions, but it's not everything