High verbal low quant - retake?

edlorenz7

I just took the GMAT and got a (slightly disappointing) 690. I really underperformed how I thought I would do on the quant section. Unfortunately I don't have much time left because I want to apply in this cycle (apps are due early jan)

Here's my breakdown:
Quant: 41 (61%)
Verbal: 43 (93%)
Total: 690 (87%)

Should I re-take? I'm a 27-year old white american male who spent the past 5 years working in IT. I currently live in Dublin Ireland which may make me look more international.

Schools I'm looking at:
Duke (Fuqua)
UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
USC (Marshall)
UCLA (Andersen)
- Plus one in Dublin (UCD Smurfit)

I did see the tier 1/tier 2/etc breakdown that was posted. I'm just right at the cusp with a 690... what do you think I should do? I'm concerned that my low quant will be a red flag to adcoms. I also didn't take many math-related courses in college, but I have a few classes on my transcript that look like they might be math-intensive.

I just took the GMAT and got a (slightly disappointing) 690. I really underperformed how I thought I would do on the quant section. Unfortunately I don't have much time left because I want to apply in this cycle (apps are due early jan)

Here's my breakdown:
Quant: 41 (61%)
Verbal: 43 (93%)
Total: 690 (87%)

Should I re-take? I'm a 27-year old white american male who spent the past 5 years working in IT. I currently live in Dublin Ireland which may make me look more international.

Schools I'm looking at:
Duke (Fuqua)
UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
USC (Marshall)
UCLA (Andersen)
- Plus one in Dublin (UCD Smurfit)

I did see the tier 1/tier 2/etc breakdown that was posted. I'm just right at the cusp with a 690... what do you think I should do? I'm concerned that my low quant will be a red flag to adcoms. I also didn't take many math-related courses in college, but I have a few classes on my transcript that look like they might be math-intensive.
Duncan

Retake it. With a quant score under 50, schools with think (maybe correctly) that you have forgotten most of your maths.

Retake it. With a quant score under 50, schools with think (maybe correctly) that you have forgotten most of your maths.
ezra

Your overall score is within the average acceptance range of most of the schools you are targeting (Anderson might be a reach,) and it sounds like you have a strong profile otherwise.

However, if you really feel like you underperformed, I would take a week or two to do some targeted quantitative test prep and then retake. It doesn't hurt to try to get an edge, especially if there are topics that you just need some refreshing.

Your overall score is within the average acceptance range of most of the schools you are targeting (Anderson might be a reach,) and it sounds like you have a strong profile otherwise.

However, if you really feel like you underperformed, I would take a week or two to do some targeted quantitative test prep and then retake. It doesn't hurt to try to get an edge, especially if there are topics that you just need some refreshing.
Duncan

Many schools look at the balance in the score, not just the final number. If this person feels they could do better, then they should retake the score.

Many schools look at the balance in the score, not just the final number. If this person feels they could do better, then they should retake the score.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Los Angeles, California 89 Followers 147 Discussions
Los Angeles, California 103 Followers 120 Discussions
Durham, North Carolina 52 Followers 103 Discussions
Dublin, Ireland 35 Followers 133 Discussions
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 37 Followers 76 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024