GMAT 680 ; 5 years experience ; Confused about colleges ..

Hi ,
I gave GMAT sometime back and scored 680 (Q-49 , V-33) , IR -3 and AWA -4 . I have 5 years experience in IT but in different domains and with top companies : (Retail), (Automobile Automation) and now in technology consulting in one of big 4 consulting firms . I have decent academics and sports experience.
I want to apply to following schools :
ISB
NUS , Singapore
NTU , Singapre
Tepper
Cornell
Kellogg
What are my chances of getting into such top schools and which other good schools I can target ?

Also , will retaking GMAT help if I get 700+ ? As my IR score is low and AWA is average 4 .

I want to do MBA in Strategy and operations with an elective subject of innovation , and continue in Engineering industry .
Target Countries : India , Singapore and US .

Hi ,
I gave GMAT sometime back and scored 680 (Q-49 , V-33) , IR -3 and AWA -4 . I have 5 years experience in IT but in different domains and with top companies : (Retail), (Automobile Automation) and now in technology consulting in one of big 4 consulting firms . I have decent academics and sports experience.
I want to apply to following schools :
ISB
NUS , Singapore
NTU , Singapre
Tepper
Cornell
Kellogg
What are my chances of getting into such top schools and which other good schools I can target ?

Also , will retaking GMAT help if I get 700+ ? As my IR score is low and AWA is average 4 .

I want to do MBA in Strategy and operations with an elective subject of innovation , and continue in Engineering industry .
Target Countries : India , Singapore and US .
Duncan

No, you don't have an especially good chance at these schools with that GMAT, and the relatively low verbal score will concern schools that relay more on the case method.

Read:-
GMAT Tiers - strong schools for your GMAT www.find-mba.com/board/27082

How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571

Shortcut to find the best US MBA www.find-mba.com/board/36065

No, you don't have an especially good chance at these schools with that GMAT, and the relatively low verbal score will concern schools that relay more on the case method.

Read:-
GMAT Tiers - strong schools for your GMAT www.find-mba.com/board/27082

How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571

Shortcut to find the best US MBA www.find-mba.com/board/36065

Ok. So what GMAT score do you think will be competitive for my Profile ? ... 700+ or 730+ ?..
I understand I cannot target a particular value and take the test , I shall try to get as much as I can ..
My mock scores have been around 720 or so .. I had some technical problems at the test center and I had to wait for 2 more hours to take the test ..

But I want to have a number on my mind before I sit for the test - 700+ or 730+ ?

Ok. So what GMAT score do you think will be competitive for my Profile ? ... 700+ or 730+ ?..
I understand I cannot target a particular value and take the test , I shall try to get as much as I can ..
My mock scores have been around 720 or so .. I had some technical problems at the test center and I had to wait for 2 more hours to take the test ..

But I want to have a number on my mind before I sit for the test - 700+ or 730+ ?
Duncan

I don't think it's simply about GMAT scores.

I don't think it's simply about GMAT scores.
Inactive User

The average GMAT score at Nanyang tends to be in the 680 range. I'm sure that a 720 or 730 would go a long way to helping you be competitive. The higher the better.

As you research schools, you should think about what kind of functional roles you would be interested in doing, even if you are set on the engineering industry. Then try to narrow down your options based on the placements, using the Linkedin method.

The average GMAT score at Nanyang tends to be in the 680 range. I'm sure that a 720 or 730 would go a long way to helping you be competitive. The higher the better.

As you research schools, you should think about what kind of functional roles you would be interested in doing, even if you are set on the engineering industry. Then try to narrow down your options based on the placements, using the Linkedin method.

Hi ,
I took the test again and it went well . My current score is :
730 . Quant - 47 , Verbal -42 , IR -8 and AWA -6.
How good is this score for :
UC Berkeley Haas
MIT Sloan
Cornell
CMU Tepper
Kellogg
NUS
ISB
I have mentioned my profile above .- 5+ years experience in Consulting , Product development and software development . I played at states and zonals in sports and have other social work experience.

Also what all things do I need to reflect more while applying to such schools? as I want to continue in Engineering sector after MBA

Hi ,
I took the test again and it went well . My current score is :
730 . Quant - 47 , Verbal -42 , IR -8 and AWA -6.
How good is this score for :
UC Berkeley Haas
MIT Sloan
Cornell
CMU Tepper
Kellogg
NUS
ISB
I have mentioned my profile above .- 5+ years experience in Consulting , Product development and software development . I played at states and zonals in sports and have other social work experience.

Also what all things do I need to reflect more while applying to such schools? as I want to continue in Engineering sector after MBA
Duncan

I repeat my suggestion to read the GMAT Tiers post.

I repeat my suggestion to read the GMAT Tiers post.
ralph

These are all very competitive programs, and your profile seems similar to many others who apply for them. Your challenge will be to somehow set yourself apart from the pack in your application essays. Focus on extra-curriculars, your social work, etc.

Also, really take some time to consider your goals and how each school will help you meet them. To "continue in the engineering sector after MBA" is rather broad and vague -- you'll need to get more specific and then really illustrate that you've done your research on the schools to show how each one can help you advance.

Maybe you can also consider adding one or two lower tier schools to your application list for some safety.

These are all very competitive programs, and your profile seems similar to many others who apply for them. Your challenge will be to somehow set yourself apart from the pack in your application essays. Focus on extra-curriculars, your social work, etc.

Also, really take some time to consider your goals and how each school will help you meet them. To "continue in the engineering sector after MBA" is rather broad and vague -- you'll need to get more specific and then really illustrate that you've done your research on the schools to show how each one can help you advance.

Maybe you can also consider adding one or two lower tier schools to your application list for some safety.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Evanston, Illinois 71 Followers 205 Discussions
Ithaca, New York 89 Followers 136 Discussions
Singapore 82 Followers 168 Discussions
Hyderabad, India 22 Followers 86 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 11, 2023

The GMAC MBA Tour Lands in Africa Sept. 13-19

News Sep 11, 2023

Top 10 MBA Programs for a 680 GMAT Score

Top List

We’ve crunched the data, finding the best schools for those who scored a respectable 680 on the GMAT. If you’re around that score, then it makes sense to target schools with a similar average. That does not mean compromising on quality though.

Hot Discussions