GMAT: 660

Rabiya

Hi,
I am a 22 year old from India.
GMAT: 660 (Q:46, V:34)
WE: 2 years @ Matriculation
Background: IT
Extra Curricular activities: Am a badminton player, painter, organizer /host of events in school/college/office, photographer etc.,

I shortlisted the following B-schools:
1) Michigan State University-Broad school of Business
2) University of South Carolina-Darla Moore School of Business
3) SUNY, Buffalo
4) University of Cincinnati, Carl H Lindner college of Business
and a couple of institutes in India.

Can you suggest some other schools which I can apply to?
Preferrably US b-schools...

Hi,
I am a 22 year old from India.
GMAT: 660 (Q:46, V:34)
WE: 2 years @ Matriculation
Background: IT
Extra Curricular activities: Am a badminton player, painter, organizer /host of events in school/college/office, photographer etc.,

I shortlisted the following B-schools:
1) Michigan State University-Broad school of Business
2) University of South Carolina-Darla Moore School of Business
3) SUNY, Buffalo
4) University of Cincinnati, Carl H Lindner college of Business
and a couple of institutes in India.

Can you suggest some other schools which I can apply to?
Preferrably US b-schools...
Duncan

Look at the tier 4 schools at http://www.find-mba.com/board/27082

Look at the tier 4 schools at http://www.find-mba.com/board/27082
Rabiya

Thank you Duncan..!!

Thank you Duncan..!!

Inactive User

Your shortlisted schools are good. Keep in mind that you'll be less competitive at the schools where students have more work experience: Michigan Broad students generally have four+ years on average, for example - so I'd consider that a reach school for you.

Maybe think about applying to one or more safety schools, where you have better chances to get in, based on your work experience level. These would be schools like Syracuse, University of Missouri - Columbia, Tennessee Knoxville, etc.

Your shortlisted schools are good. Keep in mind that you'll be less competitive at the schools where students have more work experience: Michigan Broad students generally have four+ years on average, for example - so I'd consider that a reach school for you.

Maybe think about applying to one or more safety schools, where you have better chances to get in, based on your work experience level. These would be schools like Syracuse, University of Missouri - Columbia, Tennessee Knoxville, etc.
Rabiya

Thanks, mba hipster.
I shall apply to one more safe school :)

Thanks, mba hipster.
I shall apply to one more safe school :)
mtlcanuck

Your 660 score is very good for the 2013 admission year. Applications are in decline since 2009 and I would say, you would be competitive for even the second tier schools if you spend some time on your essays. Your safety schools should be programs such as Thunderbird 45th in BW rankings (http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/thunderbird.html) or even Babson College 42th in BW rankings (http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/babson.html). They both are very good programs and have very high acceptance rate (78 and 68% respectively).

Don't settle for a third tier program, your score is very competitive for 2013.

Your 660 score is very good for the 2013 admission year. Applications are in decline since 2009 and I would say, you would be competitive for even the second tier schools if you spend some time on your essays. Your safety schools should be programs such as Thunderbird 45th in BW rankings (http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/thunderbird.html) or even Babson College 42th in BW rankings (http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/babson.html). They both are very good programs and have very high acceptance rate (78 and 68% respectively).

Don't settle for a third tier program, your score is very competitive for 2013.
Duncan

You need to consider both the GMAT and the work experience. Two years is pretty light for the tier two schools.

You need to consider both the GMAT and the work experience. Two years is pretty light for the tier two schools.
ralph

I'd consider Babson and Thunderbird as reach schools rather than safety schools for this candidate; even though selectivity is high, his work experience will present significant issues (as the average is around 4-5 years at each school.

I'd consider Babson and Thunderbird as reach schools rather than safety schools for this candidate; even though selectivity is high, his work experience will present significant issues (as the average is around 4-5 years at each school.
Rabiya

her* work experience (I'm a girl :D)...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions...
I reported my scores (gmat and toefl) to Wisconsin as well...but didn't apply cuz I felt both my gmat score and work experience are below their avg range...

I considered retaking the exam in case things don't work out this year. I reckon then I can apply with a stronger score and an added year of WE..

Also, I wanted to know in which schools do I stand a chance of getting a scholarship??

her* work experience (I'm a girl :D)...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions...
I reported my scores (gmat and toefl) to Wisconsin as well...but didn't apply cuz I felt both my gmat score and work experience are below their avg range...

I considered retaking the exam in case things don't work out this year. I reckon then I can apply with a stronger score and an added year of WE..

Also, I wanted to know in which schools do I stand a chance of getting a scholarship??
ezra

That's probably a good call.

Scholarships are hard to get unless you have something unique about your profile or come from an underrepresented group. However, many programs will offer financial aid in some form for most students. For example, the majority of students at Michigan Broad receive a scholarship package, and the average amount is around $9k.

I would check with the financial aid departments of the schools you are interested in.

<blockquote>I considered retaking the exam in case things don't work out this year. I reckon then I can apply with a stronger score and an added year of WE..</blockquote>
That's probably a good call.

<blockquote>Also, I wanted to know in which schools do I stand a chance of getting a scholarship??</blockquote>
Scholarships are hard to get unless you have something unique about your profile or come from an underrepresented group. However, many programs will offer financial aid in some form for most students. For example, the majority of students at Michigan Broad receive a scholarship package, and the average amount is around $9k.

I would check with the financial aid departments of the schools you are interested in.
Rabiya

Thanks Ezra!!

Thanks Ezra!!

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Buffalo, New York 24 Followers 53 Discussions
East Lansing, Michigan 20 Followers 58 Discussions
Babson Park, Massachusetts 28 Followers 76 Discussions
Glendale, Arizona 22 Followers 66 Discussions
Cincinnati, Ohio 3 Followers 27 Discussions

Hot Discussions