GMAT 570- Any chance?

maira123

Hi

Recently gave my GMAT and did not score well. Dont have time to give it again and would still like to give it a shot with what I have right now for Sept 2015 batch. I am considering my options for MBA or Masters in International Business(MIB). These 2 options because I have heard for MBA you need min 3 years work ex, hence MIB course. I would prefer to go for MBA though.
My profile in brief is:

Gmat- 570
Work Experience- 14 months (will complete 2 years by Aug 2015, ie when the session starts) as Business Analyst.
CGPA- 8.92
Good records in extra curricular activities and received awards for social work.

Can someone please suggest chances of getting into a b-school and the Suitable Universities in USA, Europe, I can apply to? I am really confused which universities to aim for with this GMAT Score.

Really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Hi

Recently gave my GMAT and did not score well. Dont have time to give it again and would still like to give it a shot with what I have right now for Sept 2015 batch. I am considering my options for MBA or Masters in International Business(MIB). These 2 options because I have heard for MBA you need min 3 years work ex, hence MIB course. I would prefer to go for MBA though.
My profile in brief is:

Gmat- 570
Work Experience- 14 months (will complete 2 years by Aug 2015, ie when the session starts) as Business Analyst.
CGPA- 8.92
Good records in extra curricular activities and received awards for social work.

Can someone please suggest chances of getting into a b-school and the Suitable Universities in USA, Europe, I can apply to? I am really confused which universities to aim for with this GMAT Score.

Really appreciate your help!

Thanks!
Duncan

Tricky. AMBA, the main accreditation body in Europe, requires three years. Cardiff is accredited by AACSB, so that's an option, as is schools in the US. The US is a good MBA option if you can afford two years (Tip: read Shortcut to find the best US MBA www.find-mba.com/board/36065
and see http://www.umb.edu/admissions/grad/apply/test_requirements for one option). Otherwise you are looking at one-year MSc degrees that don't require the GMAT at weaker schools.

However, you *do* have time to re-take the GMAT. In particular, if your GMAT score is much lower on one side than the other you and probably made a big improvement by focussing your effort there. Read Why you should take the GMAT http://www.find-mba.com/board/38939

Tricky. AMBA, the main accreditation body in Europe, requires three years. Cardiff is accredited by AACSB, so that's an option, as is schools in the US. The US is a good MBA option if you can afford two years (Tip: read Shortcut to find the best US MBA www.find-mba.com/board/36065
and see http://www.umb.edu/admissions/grad/apply/test_requirements for one option). Otherwise you are looking at one-year MSc degrees that don't require the GMAT at weaker schools.

However, you *do* have time to re-take the GMAT. In particular, if your GMAT score is much lower on one side than the other you and probably made a big improvement by focussing your effort there. Read Why you should take the GMAT http://www.find-mba.com/board/38939

maira123

@Duncan: Thanks for your quick response. I have few queries:

1. I scored Q 44, V 25, IR 6, AWA 5. Most universities have their deadlines between Dec 1-15 2014. That's why I dont have much time to retake GMAT.

2. With my present work experience- MBA vs MIB- which is recommended?

3. Also, Of what I have observed till now, if a school accepts less GMAT score, than the number of years of work experience is usually 2.5 above. Do you think I have chances of getting in in GMAT Tier 4 - GMAT under 650 (from the link you posted above) universities?

[Edited by maira123 on Nov 23, 2014]

[quote][/quote]

@Duncan: Thanks for your quick response. I have few queries:

1. I scored Q 44, V 25, IR 6, AWA 5. Most universities have their deadlines between Dec 1-15 2014. That's why I dont have much time to retake GMAT.

2. With my present work experience- MBA vs MIB- which is recommended?

3. Also, Of what I have observed till now, if a school accepts less GMAT score, than the number of years of work experience is usually 2.5 above. Do you think I have chances of getting in in GMAT Tier 4 - GMAT under 650 (from the link you posted above) universities?
Duncan

1. Most universities have their first round deadlines this year, but will have later rounds. You can apply now and say that you are aiming for a higher score. 25 and 44 are a long way apart. If you focus on the verbal, you can get above 600 pretty easily.

2. I would recommend a masters at a good school rather than an MBA at a weak one. A MIB, in particular, is not a great choice: just compare the curricila. A degree in management or finance would be better.

3. No, you stand no chance of a tier 4 MBA.

1. Most universities have their first round deadlines this year, but will have later rounds. You can apply now and say that you are aiming for a higher score. 25 and 44 are a long way apart. If you focus on the verbal, you can get above 600 pretty easily.

2. I would recommend a masters at a good school rather than an MBA at a weak one. A MIB, in particular, is not a great choice: just compare the curricila. A degree in management or finance would be better.

3. No, you stand no chance of a tier 4 MBA.
maira123

Can you please explain what you mean when you say I can apply now and tell them that I am retaking the test? Isnt the application incomplete until you submit all requirements?

Also, for Msc in Management, which schools would you recommend?

[quote][/quote]

Can you please explain what you mean when you say I can apply now and tell them that I am retaking the test? Isnt the application incomplete until you submit all requirements?

Also, for Msc in Management, which schools would you recommend?
Duncan

You have a score now. Submit that: it will be a complete application. At the same time, give them the date for your next test.

I'm not sure what your goals are, but use the FT rankings for MSc and MFin programmes. They are excellent guides.

You have a score now. Submit that: it will be a complete application. At the same time, give them the date for your next test.

I'm not sure what your goals are, but use the FT rankings for MSc and MFin programmes. They are excellent guides.
maira123

thanks alot @dunkan... your advice was of great help!

Really appreciate your quick responses! :)

[quote][/quote]

thanks alot @dunkan... your advice was of great help!

Really appreciate your quick responses! :)
shivang

Hi Maira,
May I know which colleges have you applied to ? Need your advise, as I am planning to take GMAT this month.

Hi Maira,
May I know which colleges have you applied to ? Need your advise, as I am planning to take GMAT this month.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Cardiff, United Kingdom 15 Followers 91 Discussions

Other Related Content

Is My GMAT Score Good Enough?

Article Aug 15, 2016

What the GMAT score means to MBA admissions teams and how to make the grade