What kind of MBA and where

naela

I've been thinking about graduate degrees for a while and I think an MBA would be a good choice. I'm just not really sure what to look for. I just know that in two years I'd like to go back to school. That gives me plenty of time to start doing research. My background is in software development, but I'm burning out on that really quickly. I do really like technology and would like to continue to work in the technology sector (or work with technology teams in other sectors) in a business capacity. The one thing I do know is I want a full-time experience.

After recently spending a few months in France, I started looking at business schools there. I always wanted to study internationally and not just the month-long language immersion I did as an undergrad. But then a friend told me that unless I planned on moving permanently to Europe, I'm better off finding a good business school in the US that has international components. She said that if I got a degree from a school over there, it would probably be virtually unknown here. Thoughts on this?

So I'm thinking either an "International" branded MBA or one with an international study component. Would that kind of MBA be useful if I want to end up managing technology teams? I also feel as if I should be going for some sort of combined MBA/MS in something or other (or have another focus to the MBA), but I don't know what would make a good compliment. I was also thinking that experience in East-Asia could also prove useful since so many companies are opening offices over there. Maybe combined with studying a 2nd foreign language.

Finally, what are your thoughts on programs that include co-ops or internships, vs ones that are just study?

Oh and FWIW I've got a minor in business.

I've been thinking about graduate degrees for a while and I think an MBA would be a good choice. I'm just not really sure what to look for. I just know that in two years I'd like to go back to school. That gives me plenty of time to start doing research. My background is in software development, but I'm burning out on that really quickly. I do really like technology and would like to continue to work in the technology sector (or work with technology teams in other sectors) in a business capacity. The one thing I do know is I want a full-time experience.

After recently spending a few months in France, I started looking at business schools there. I always wanted to study internationally and not just the month-long language immersion I did as an undergrad. But then a friend told me that unless I planned on moving permanently to Europe, I'm better off finding a good business school in the US that has international components. She said that if I got a degree from a school over there, it would probably be virtually unknown here. Thoughts on this?

So I'm thinking either an "International" branded MBA or one with an international study component. Would that kind of MBA be useful if I want to end up managing technology teams? I also feel as if I should be going for some sort of combined MBA/MS in something or other (or have another focus to the MBA), but I don't know what would make a good compliment. I was also thinking that experience in East-Asia could also prove useful since so many companies are opening offices over there. Maybe combined with studying a 2nd foreign language.

Finally, what are your thoughts on programs that include co-ops or internships, vs ones that are just study?

Oh and FWIW I've got a minor in business.
ralph

Well, you definitely have a lot of options, many of which you've started exploring - that's good. The hard part will be narrowing your choices down.

Generally, when American (I'm assuming you're American, correct me if I'm wrong) students are sure that they want to move to a country after graduating, I recommend they do their MBA in that country if they can. This is because it's immensely easier to find work after the program if you have started building a network, have some faculty with the language, and potentially have already started working there through an internship.

A US program with an international component, like you said, is another option - this will give you more flexibility (if you want to stay in the States,) but is less ideal if you are certain you'd like to stay in Europe. It's a bit of a trade off. If you take this route you might want to consider dual degree programs like the NYU Stern/HEC one.

As far as finding a program with an Asia component - also a good idea if you're not entirely sure where you'd like to land after graduation. Check out programs like Duke's Global Executive MBA - this one is structured around "residencies" all over the world including London and Shanghai.

Another thing to think about: Since you're in the software development and technology field, I'd urge you to research schools in the tech hotspots in Europe to leverage their geography as you plan your next career move. Think Copenhagen Business School, WHU, Cambridge/Judge/etc.)

Well, you definitely have a lot of options, many of which you've started exploring - that's good. The hard part will be narrowing your choices down.

Generally, when American (I'm assuming you're American, correct me if I'm wrong) students are sure that they want to move to a country after graduating, I recommend they do their MBA in that country if they can. This is because it's immensely easier to find work after the program if you have started building a network, have some faculty with the language, and potentially have already started working there through an internship.

A US program with an international component, like you said, is another option - this will give you more flexibility (if you want to stay in the States,) but is less ideal if you are certain you'd like to stay in Europe. It's a bit of a trade off. If you take this route you might want to consider dual degree programs like the NYU Stern/HEC one.

As far as finding a program with an Asia component - also a good idea if you're not entirely sure where you'd like to land after graduation. Check out programs like Duke's Global Executive MBA - this one is structured around "residencies" all over the world including London and Shanghai.

Another thing to think about: Since you're in the software development and technology field, I'd urge you to research schools in the tech hotspots in Europe to leverage their geography as you plan your next career move. Think Copenhagen Business School, WHU, Cambridge/Judge/etc.)
naela

Hi Ralph, thanks for the advice. I am American. And I am not sure whether I want to stay in the US. At this point I need to be in the US, for at least the next year. I think a management position with an American company that has offices abroad would be what my goals are right now, but that could change in a year... which is why I'm thinking of starting an MBA in 2 years or so. I looked at HEC while I was in France (at least I picked up one of their brochures). It seemed to be more recognized than a lot of the others.

First I've got to think about the GMAT, and I'm sure my score on that would determine what kind of schools I should be looking at.

Hi Ralph, thanks for the advice. I am American. And I am not sure whether I want to stay in the US. At this point I need to be in the US, for at least the next year. I think a management position with an American company that has offices abroad would be what my goals are right now, but that could change in a year... which is why I'm thinking of starting an MBA in 2 years or so. I looked at HEC while I was in France (at least I picked up one of their brochures). It seemed to be more recognized than a lot of the others.

First I've got to think about the GMAT, and I'm sure my score on that would determine what kind of schools I should be looking at.
Duncan

Ralph's totally on the right lines here. If you do a good US MBA then you'll probably have the chance to do an exchange in Europe.

Some other options:
- A US MBA in Europe (the Purdue MBA at GISMA is great value, the Iowa MBA at CIMBA... these are small programs with good teaching but without the scale that's needed to draw in internaitonal employers)
- A European MBA with an exchange in the US or Canada (but beware, most schools won't allow you to exchange to your own country). It means you could say you did your MBA at, say, Toronto or Western Ontario as well as at some European school they might know know of.
- There's a great MBA in tech management between Waseda and Nanyang business schools.
- Do a MSc in tech management a top European university, like TU Delft, Cambridge, Bocconi, Warwick -- which are well known in the tech sector.
- Take the risk and do it anayway.

Ralph's totally on the right lines here. If you do a good US MBA then you'll probably have the chance to do an exchange in Europe.

Some other options:
- A US MBA in Europe (the Purdue MBA at GISMA is great value, the Iowa MBA at CIMBA... these are small programs with good teaching but without the scale that's needed to draw in internaitonal employers)
- A European MBA with an exchange in the US or Canada (but beware, most schools won't allow you to exchange to your own country). It means you could say you did your MBA at, say, Toronto or Western Ontario as well as at some European school they might know know of.
- There's a great MBA in tech management between Waseda and Nanyang business schools.
- Do a MSc in tech management a top European university, like TU Delft, Cambridge, Bocconi, Warwick -- which are well known in the tech sector.
- Take the risk and do it anayway.
Inactive User

Hello Duncan / Ralph,

Perhaps not the best thread to post my query, but I require your guidance.

My profile:
GMAT 630 (not giving it again)
Toefl 105 (ibt)
work ex: 5.3 years by Fall 2012 (2 months international in Lithuania)
currently working in Nokia Siemens Networks as Mobile Networking Planning Engineer (function as Technical consultant)
Good leadership experience (managing resources), Team Lead , Subject Matter Expert.
Engineering Undergrad.

What I want from my MBA: to study Operations in Major & Financial Risk Management as Minor, I want to global program with diverse classmates and lots of hands-on experiential learning. An economy that will accept foreigners.

Thus far: I have applied to Schulich India, Copenhagen Business School and University of Georgia.
Admit from Schulich India, awaiting results from CBS & UGA.

Could you suggest more schools where I may apply?

As you would know that certain Business Schools are too GMAT centric, and comming from the ultra competitive Indian pool doesnt really help!. So while my GMAT etc, lie in the lets say 40-60%ile (a college having 640-650 average GMAT) Mays, Smeal, SMU Cox etc. There will be tons of Indians applying with 700+ score.

Hence Kindly suggest me few schools who are not much GMAT centric. Altohugh I have done my bit of research and talked with current students & alumni of both Schulich India and CBS, I will be gratefull if you could provide me additional insights for Schulich India & Copenhagen Business School (as you have so skillfully done for other B schools like RSM etc)

BR// Ayon

Hello Duncan / Ralph,

Perhaps not the best thread to post my query, but I require your guidance.

My profile:
GMAT 630 (not giving it again)
Toefl 105 (ibt)
work ex: 5.3 years by Fall 2012 (2 months international in Lithuania)
currently working in Nokia Siemens Networks as Mobile Networking Planning Engineer (function as Technical consultant)
Good leadership experience (managing resources), Team Lead , Subject Matter Expert.
Engineering Undergrad.

What I want from my MBA: to study Operations in Major & Financial Risk Management as Minor, I want to global program with diverse classmates and lots of hands-on experiential learning. An economy that will accept foreigners.

Thus far: I have applied to Schulich India, Copenhagen Business School and University of Georgia.
Admit from Schulich India, awaiting results from CBS & UGA.

Could you suggest more schools where I may apply?

As you would know that certain Business Schools are too GMAT centric, and comming from the ultra competitive Indian pool doesnt really help!. So while my GMAT etc, lie in the lets say 40-60%ile (a college having 640-650 average GMAT) Mays, Smeal, SMU Cox etc. There will be tons of Indians applying with 700+ score.

Hence Kindly suggest me few schools who are not much GMAT centric. Altohugh I have done my bit of research and talked with current students & alumni of both Schulich India and CBS, I will be gratefull if you could provide me additional insights for Schulich India & Copenhagen Business School (as you have so skillfully done for other B schools like RSM etc)

BR// Ayon
Duncan

I think I need to ask you to reconsider the notion of "GMAT centric". The GMAT is an excellent predictor of how well MBA students do. That's why it's so important. If you cannot put in the 30 or 60 hours needed to improve your GMAT score, then will you have the motivation to get into a good business school?

Also, what is your motivation for doing an MBA? If you want to find work, then you should compare the placement records of the schools you are looking at. CBS cannot place most of its students in Copenhagen and, since it's a very new MBA programme, it does not have a big MBA alumni network.

I think I need to ask you to reconsider the notion of "GMAT centric". The GMAT is an excellent predictor of how well MBA students do. That's why it's so important. If you cannot put in the 30 or 60 hours needed to improve your GMAT score, then will you have the motivation to get into a good business school?

Also, what is your motivation for doing an MBA? If you want to find work, then you should compare the placement records of the schools you are looking at. CBS cannot place most of its students in Copenhagen and, since it's a very new MBA programme, it does not have a big MBA alumni network.
Inactive User

Hello Duncan,

Many thanks for your reply. Well it's not that I haven't put in efforts into GMAT preperations.
630 is my 3rd attempt, previous ones got me 600 & 610.

Moreover I tend to disagree that GMAT is an excellent predictor of how well MBA students do. If that were the case, then most Bschools would declare a GMAT cut-off and not see other parameters.

However I agree that mathematics may be a suitable indicator.
I have noticed that American & British students tend to score more marks in Verbal section than Quant in GMAt, while Indian and other asian ones score well in Quant but not so well in Verbal.

I come from a humble family and spent 12 year of schooling in a government school where medium of teaching was not english, I can communicate effectively in english though. Most Indians can, but scoring well in Verbal section of GMAT is another story.

(Strangely though, when i give CAT - an admission test for IIM in India, i get above 98% ile in verbal section , but my around 60% ile in quants)

Anyways, the point is, for my profile can you please suggest me some schools that are good in Operations (major) & Finance (minor)?

My motivation for doing MBA is to climb my career, I will most likely leverage on my telecommunications industry experience to reenter it post MBA, in the added capacity of a Business Program manager overseeing execution of programs, schedules, costs and process in Projects & Operations.

I have comared placment records of Schulich India & Copenhagen Business School, but I am more attracted towards CBS because of the diversity & maturity of its students and the integrated Project & leadership series.

However being a non EU and someone having just 5 years of work studying in a class where average work ex is 9, I am begining to rethink my strategy about CBS.

Schulich on the other hand is higher ranked (I am not a fan of rankings, as there are various parameters on which ranking algortihm works) and has Strategy 601 which is somewhat hands-on learning, but misses out in the diversity of student body.

Could you suggest some other schools where I may apply ?

BR//Ayon

Hello Duncan,

Many thanks for your reply. Well it's not that I haven't put in efforts into GMAT preperations.
630 is my 3rd attempt, previous ones got me 600 & 610.

Moreover I tend to disagree that GMAT is an excellent predictor of how well MBA students do. If that were the case, then most Bschools would declare a GMAT cut-off and not see other parameters.

However I agree that mathematics may be a suitable indicator.
I have noticed that American & British students tend to score more marks in Verbal section than Quant in GMAt, while Indian and other asian ones score well in Quant but not so well in Verbal.

I come from a humble family and spent 12 year of schooling in a government school where medium of teaching was not english, I can communicate effectively in english though. Most Indians can, but scoring well in Verbal section of GMAT is another story.

(Strangely though, when i give CAT - an admission test for IIM in India, i get above 98% ile in verbal section , but my around 60% ile in quants)

Anyways, the point is, for my profile can you please suggest me some schools that are good in Operations (major) & Finance (minor)?

My motivation for doing MBA is to climb my career, I will most likely leverage on my telecommunications industry experience to reenter it post MBA, in the added capacity of a Business Program manager overseeing execution of programs, schedules, costs and process in Projects & Operations.

I have comared placment records of Schulich India & Copenhagen Business School, but I am more attracted towards CBS because of the diversity & maturity of its students and the integrated Project & leadership series.

However being a non EU and someone having just 5 years of work studying in a class where average work ex is 9, I am begining to rethink my strategy about CBS.

Schulich on the other hand is higher ranked (I am not a fan of rankings, as there are various parameters on which ranking algortihm works) and has Strategy 601 which is somewhat hands-on learning, but misses out in the diversity of student body.

Could you suggest some other schools where I may apply ?

BR//Ayon
Duncan

As an Indian, I think it will be hard for you to work in Europe without the sort of MBA which would require a much higher GMAT. And do do that, you would need to improve your US English. Were I you, I would certainly be looking at the top Indian MBA programmes.

When you say you want to work in operations, do you mean in the supply chain, or in IT or banking operations?

PS The comment that "Moreover I tend to disagree that GMAT is an excellent predictor of how well MBA students do. If that were the case, then most Bschools would declare a GMAT cut-off and not see other parameters" is just stupid. That's like saying that the cardio-vascular system is not a good indicator of health because doctors do not only look at that. The GMAT is the most reliable indicator. If you think it's not, take a look at the data.

As an Indian, I think it will be hard for you to work in Europe without the sort of MBA which would require a much higher GMAT. And do do that, you would need to improve your US English. Were I you, I would certainly be looking at the top Indian MBA programmes.

When you say you want to work in operations, do you mean in the supply chain, or in IT or banking operations?

PS The comment that "Moreover I tend to disagree that GMAT is an excellent predictor of how well MBA students do. If that were the case, then most Bschools would declare a GMAT cut-off and not see other parameters" is just stupid. That's like saying that the cardio-vascular system is not a good indicator of health because doctors do not only look at that. The GMAT is the most reliable indicator. If you think it's not, take a look at the data.
Inactive User

Hello Duncan,

With Operations I meant Operations management, which encompasses Project Management, Service Operations, Supply Chain & Logistics.

(With Operations as Major & Financial Risk Management as Minor)

I understand your advice regarding Indian MBA programs. However the admission to these programs are generally CAT exam score based and not profile based.
And due to personal reasons, If I delay pursuing my MBA, my opportunity costs will increase that will deter me to leave my job in order to join MBA.

Anyways, I was looking to US also, as it has a bigger market.
I am currently researching University of Tennesse - Knoxville, UConn. (your thoughts on these schools?)
( I mean I know that UT-Knox is known for SCM, & Uconn is primarily Finance)

I also understand my limitation of not applying to the likes of CMU: Tepper or Arizona State or a Penn State, but I am certain I can find a good program as I found University of Georgia.

Thanks for your time Mr. Duncan, any additional inputs are welcome.

BR// Ayon

Hello Duncan,

With Operations I meant Operations management, which encompasses Project Management, Service Operations, Supply Chain & Logistics.

(With Operations as Major & Financial Risk Management as Minor)

I understand your advice regarding Indian MBA programs. However the admission to these programs are generally CAT exam score based and not profile based.
And due to personal reasons, If I delay pursuing my MBA, my opportunity costs will increase that will deter me to leave my job in order to join MBA.

Anyways, I was looking to US also, as it has a bigger market.
I am currently researching University of Tennesse - Knoxville, UConn. (your thoughts on these schools?)
( I mean I know that UT-Knox is known for SCM, & Uconn is primarily Finance)

I also understand my limitation of not applying to the likes of CMU: Tepper or Arizona State or a Penn State, but I am certain I can find a good program as I found University of Georgia.

Thanks for your time Mr. Duncan, any additional inputs are welcome.

BR// Ayon
Duncan

Well, UT Knoxville and Georgia are certainly good schools. I looked at Georgia when I was shopping for MBAs and was impressed, especially with its financial support.

When I think of operations roles in the US, for example, full-time MBAs have typically attended:
# Penn State University
# Northwestern University - Kellogg School of Management
# Purdue University
# University of Michigan
# Harvard Business School
# Michigan State University
# University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School
# New York University - Leonard N. Stern School of Business
# University of Michigan - Stephen M. Ross School of Business

To be honest, I don't have a very deep knowledge of the specialisations of the unranked MBAs and I am not sure that anyone will, especially if you are looking for programmes that lead to employment. You could research that, or hire an admissions consultant to do that.

I do think you would get a great education at UTK or Georgia.

Well, UT Knoxville and Georgia are certainly good schools. I looked at Georgia when I was shopping for MBAs and was impressed, especially with its financial support.

When I think of operations roles in the US, for example, full-time MBAs have typically attended:
# Penn State University
# Northwestern University - Kellogg School of Management
# Purdue University
# University of Michigan
# Harvard Business School
# Michigan State University
# University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School
# New York University - Leonard N. Stern School of Business
# University of Michigan - Stephen M. Ross School of Business

To be honest, I don't have a very deep knowledge of the specialisations of the unranked MBAs and I am not sure that anyone will, especially if you are looking for programmes that lead to employment. You could research that, or hire an admissions consultant to do that.

I do think you would get a great education at UTK or Georgia.
donho199

Be careful what you wish for. Operations research actually is your field leverages a lot on advanced mathematics which is above 1 and 2nd year maths of a degree in Maths or Engineering.

GMAT on the other hand tests your highschool maths and is no match for Proper Maths in OR. Actually if you do good GMAT that does not automatically qualify you as a good candidate you simple are comfortable with numbers THAT IS IT.

That Maths in GMAT could be found in Accounting, the Maths in OR could be found in Finance.

The market for it is good but also challenging and only specialist firms or very large firms can afford to have proper OR. Financial Risks Management for example is not a good field to study at the moment due to very poor job prospects.

Be careful what you wish for. Operations research actually is your field leverages a lot on advanced mathematics which is above 1 and 2nd year maths of a degree in Maths or Engineering.

GMAT on the other hand tests your highschool maths and is no match for Proper Maths in OR. Actually if you do good GMAT that does not automatically qualify you as a good candidate you simple are comfortable with numbers THAT IS IT.

That Maths in GMAT could be found in Accounting, the Maths in OR could be found in Finance.

The market for it is good but also challenging and only specialist firms or very large firms can afford to have proper OR. Financial Risks Management for example is not a good field to study at the moment due to very poor job prospects.

Amee.t1

Hi, I have a GMAT score of 650, an engineering degree from India and three years work experience in IT in India.
Please guide me as to where and when I can pursue a one year MBA either with specialization in marketing or in General management.
My goal is to have great employment opportunities in US, Singapore, India.

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I have a GMAT score of 650, an engineering degree from India and three years work experience in IT in India.
Please guide me as to where and when I can pursue a one year MBA either with specialization in marketing or in General management.
My goal is to have great employment opportunities in US, Singapore, India.

Thanks for your help!
Duncan

How about Melbourne Business School and SP Jain Center of Management?

Most of the one year programmes strong on marketing are in Europe--
City University: Cass
SDA Bocconi
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School
Lancaster University Management School
Manchester Business School
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University

I would also suggest you look at University of Georgia: Terry
and University of South Carolina: Moore, although these are not one year.

How about Melbourne Business School and SP Jain Center of Management?

Most of the one year programmes strong on marketing are in Europe--
City University: Cass
SDA Bocconi
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School
Lancaster University Management School
Manchester Business School
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University

I would also suggest you look at University of Georgia: Terry
and University of South Carolina: Moore, although these are not one year.
Amee.t1

Thanks Duncan. I am interested only in the one year programs as those are the only ones that fit in with my schedule and planning. Can you give me your views on how are one year programmes looked upon by the industry?
In india, most one year programmes mandate five years of experience. I have just three. If I go for a one year program in UK, how are my job prospects likely to be?
Thanks for your time.

Thanks Duncan. I am interested only in the one year programs as those are the only ones that fit in with my schedule and planning. Can you give me your views on how are one year programmes looked upon by the industry?
In india, most one year programmes mandate five years of experience. I have just three. If I go for a one year program in UK, how are my job prospects likely to be?
Thanks for your time.
Duncan

Well, if your goal is US, Singapore, India then a UK MBA won't help you as much there as a local one. And things are a little unclear in the UK because the work permit rules will be changing this year and it's unclear what the situation will be for people who enroll in the future. In terms of finding work outside the EU, the European programmes I mentioned above all have quite mobile alumni. Cass and Bocconi do best for employment, followed by Erasmus and Manchester - and those are also the four of those schools rated highest for their careers service, more or less in the same order.

There are few one-year MBAs in the US, but I guess the best established are Pittsburgh and Hult. There are many one year programmes in India: I was just looking at the new Bocconi campus in Mumbai (http://www.misbbocconi.com/) doesn't seem to require work experience.

Well, if your goal is US, Singapore, India then a UK MBA won't help you as much there as a local one. And things are a little unclear in the UK because the work permit rules will be changing this year and it's unclear what the situation will be for people who enroll in the future. In terms of finding work outside the EU, the European programmes I mentioned above all have quite mobile alumni. Cass and Bocconi do best for employment, followed by Erasmus and Manchester - and those are also the four of those schools rated highest for their careers service, more or less in the same order.

There are few one-year MBAs in the US, but I guess the best established are Pittsburgh and Hult. There are many one year programmes in India: I was just looking at the new Bocconi campus in Mumbai (http://www.misbbocconi.com/) doesn't seem to require work experience.
BPHLIAO

Dear Duncan donho199 Ayon
I want to use this post to consult your great mind and receive some input.

something about me:
*born in Taiwan.
*Bachelor/Master: University of Cal, Davis (computer science)
*work for HTC for 5 full year now ; 6 years by 2012 as a post sale service account/operation management as a manager for North America. Base in Taiwan.

Goal for MBA:
* consolidate management skill and know how.
* add another domain of knowledge (marketing, entrepreneur)
* may need to start my own company.

i can get in Waseda and Peking U, Guanghua School of Management for IMBA. I am in a decision point.

I am interested in the experience offered by Beijing as a living environment and to learn china's business practice. Beijin also has great entrepreneur friendly atmosphere.
However, Waseda rank higher and is more prestigious. I know zero about Japanese but so living in japan is a huge difficulty for me but waseda courses are offered in english. Maybe i can pick up some Japanese in the two year time.

I want to listen to your comment. Please ! and Welcome.

Dear Duncan donho199 Ayon
I want to use this post to consult your great mind and receive some input.

something about me:
*born in Taiwan.
*Bachelor/Master: University of Cal, Davis (computer science)
*work for HTC for 5 full year now ; 6 years by 2012 as a post sale service account/operation management as a manager for North America. Base in Taiwan.

Goal for MBA:
* consolidate management skill and know how.
* add another domain of knowledge (marketing, entrepreneur)
* may need to start my own company.

i can get in Waseda and Peking U, Guanghua School of Management for IMBA. I am in a decision point.

I am interested in the experience offered by Beijing as a living environment and to learn china's business practice. Beijin also has great entrepreneur friendly atmosphere.
However, Waseda rank higher and is more prestigious. I know zero about Japanese but so living in japan is a huge difficulty for me but waseda courses are offered in english. Maybe i can pick up some Japanese in the two year time.

I want to listen to your comment. Please ! and Welcome.
Inactive User

Hello BPHLIAO,

Firstly, I am not a Guru like Duncan and others, I am just an applicant (an unsuccessful one so far).

Secondly, You seem to have a good profile with Good amount of education in the US itself, why not leverage it and try for your MBA in US only?

US has several good Bschools in Marketing & Etreoreneurship and have a mature MBA program overall, I am confident that brand value of the getting MBA from a good Bschool in US will hold it's value in Bejing.

You can try for a program that has an exchange program with schools in China / Bejing.

In my humble opinion, the only college in China that stands tall (or so it is marketed) is CEIBS. So, you may either try there or perhaps go for a US MBA with exchange program in Bejing.

BR// Ayon

Hello BPHLIAO,

Firstly, I am not a Guru like Duncan and others, I am just an applicant (an unsuccessful one so far).

Secondly, You seem to have a good profile with Good amount of education in the US itself, why not leverage it and try for your MBA in US only?

US has several good Bschools in Marketing & Etreoreneurship and have a mature MBA program overall, I am confident that brand value of the getting MBA from a good Bschool in US will hold it's value in Bejing.

You can try for a program that has an exchange program with schools in China / Bejing.

In my humble opinion, the only college in China that stands tall (or so it is marketed) is CEIBS. So, you may either try there or perhaps go for a US MBA with exchange program in Bejing.

BR// Ayon
BPHLIAO

HI AYON,
Your questions are one of the most common asked questions on my decision. Here is my logic. I consider I have exposure on US experience on multiple roles, academic and business. While I am a Taiwanese but my college and career are mainly focused on Western society and client tier. I am lack the exposure on China's business practice. I have to say some western business practice does not mirrow well to the asian society.

If i continue a MBA in US, certainly I can have a positon in big name US corp but still face glass barrier in career ascending. Thus, I prefer to develop the next phase of my career in Asia.

I hope this explain well.

HI AYON,
Your questions are one of the most common asked questions on my decision. Here is my logic. I consider I have exposure on US experience on multiple roles, academic and business. While I am a Taiwanese but my college and career are mainly focused on Western society and client tier. I am lack the exposure on China's business practice. I have to say some western business practice does not mirrow well to the asian society.

If i continue a MBA in US, certainly I can have a positon in big name US corp but still face glass barrier in career ascending. Thus, I prefer to develop the next phase of my career in Asia.

I hope this explain well.
Duncan

I think Peking makes much more sense than Waseda. I would also consider Guanghua's Double MBA options.

The Nanyang-Waseda Double MBA would fit you very well, but if your focus is specifically on mainland China rather than East Asia generally then Guanghua is a good choice. Nanyang, of course, is a mainly Mandarin-speaking school and less westernised than some other schools in Singapore.

I think Peking makes much more sense than Waseda. I would also consider Guanghua's Double MBA options.

The Nanyang-Waseda Double MBA would fit you very well, but if your focus is specifically on mainland China rather than East Asia generally then Guanghua is a good choice. Nanyang, of course, is a mainly Mandarin-speaking school and less westernised than some other schools in Singapore.
BPHLIAO

I am also have some thought on dual degree that Guanghua offers. I would choose NUS if possible so i combine two options that duncan mentioned.

I search this site and find very little info and discussion on waseda. It seems strange. Anyone knows why?

I am also have some thought on dual degree that Guanghua offers. I would choose NUS if possible so i combine two options that duncan mentioned.

I search this site and find very little info and discussion on waseda. It seems strange. Anyone knows why?

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Gent, Belgium 13 Followers 93 Discussions
Lancaster, United Kingdom 26 Followers 335 Discussions
Cambridge, United Kingdom 53 Followers 290 Discussions
East Lansing, Michigan 20 Followers 58 Discussions
Manchester, United Kingdom 65 Followers 515 Discussions
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 31 Followers 55 Discussions
Hannover, Germany 20 Followers 66 Discussions
Columbia, South Carolina 11 Followers 30 Discussions
Carlton, Australia 54 Followers 96 Discussions
Düsseldorf, Germany 80 Followers 207 Discussions