US or UK

Sonal889

Hello,

What do you think is a better place to do an MBA - the US or the UK?

I am from India and would like to do an MBA with the intention of working for a couple years before coming back to India.

I was considering business schools in the UK but several friends of mine did MBA programs there and could not find work after graduation - but I think the problem was they went to business schools that were not well known. But how is a school like Cranfield or Imperial, in terms of jobs after graduation?

The other option for me would be a US business school. I was considering Georgetown, because I have family in the area. But I also would like to go to California, and was considering UCLA but it is a bit outside of my budget... I would need to get some kind of scholarships.

Hello,

What do you think is a better place to do an MBA - the US or the UK?

I am from India and would like to do an MBA with the intention of working for a couple years before coming back to India.

I was considering business schools in the UK but several friends of mine did MBA programs there and could not find work after graduation - but I think the problem was they went to business schools that were not well known. But how is a school like Cranfield or Imperial, in terms of jobs after graduation?

The other option for me would be a US business school. I was considering Georgetown, because I have family in the area. But I also would like to go to California, and was considering UCLA but it is a bit outside of my budget... I would need to get some kind of scholarships.
Duncan

I think these schools publish plenty on data on that. Look at http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-ranking-2013 and add the field for international moblity.

I think these schools publish plenty on data on that. Look at http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-ranking-2013 and add the field for international moblity.
ralph

This is a good suggestion from Duncan - with one caveat:

All the US programs in the list rank lower in terms of international mobility than an program in the UK. So Wharton is ranked below Bath in this sense, for instance. Take from this what you will, but a basically you should keep in mind that a number of other variables would be in play - such as the fact that a large majority of most of the UK-based MBA programs are international students, for instance.

My suggestion is to get into the best school you can, but also keep in mind post-graduation residency and visa issues.

This is a good suggestion from Duncan - with one caveat:

All the US programs in the list rank lower in terms of international mobility than an program in the UK. So Wharton is ranked below Bath in this sense, for instance. Take from this what you will, but a basically you should keep in mind that a number of other variables would be in play - such as the fact that a large majority of most of the UK-based MBA programs are international students, for instance.

My suggestion is to get into the best school you can, but also keep in mind post-graduation residency and visa issues.
Duncan

That's a good point. To work around that, export the data, turn the % of international students into an ordinal rank and compare the two series.

That's a good point. To work around that, export the data, turn the % of international students into an ordinal rank and compare the two series.
Sonal889

Ok, based on the international mobility rating I've selected these schools for my short list (I'm not really limiting by budget anymore):

UK:
LBS
Hult Business School
Manchester

US:
Kellogg
Michigan Ross

Any suggestions on these schools? I am working in accounting but would to change my career to consulting.

Ok, based on the international mobility rating I've selected these schools for my short list (I'm not really limiting by budget anymore):

UK:
LBS
Hult Business School
Manchester

US:
Kellogg
Michigan Ross

Any suggestions on these schools? I am working in accounting but would to change my career to consulting.
Duncan

These are good choices with the exception of Hult which does not have good connections into consulting. The FT ranks them fairly. This site's "MBA Specializations" pages are also useful.

These are good choices with the exception of Hult which does not have good connections into consulting. The FT ranks them fairly. This site's "MBA Specializations" pages are also useful.
ralph

What are your career goals, other than working abroad for a couple of years? LBS or Kellogg would probably add the most weight to your resume - but if you are interested in a specific functional or industry field, then that would be different.

What are your career goals, other than working abroad for a couple of years? LBS or Kellogg would probably add the most weight to your resume - but if you are interested in a specific functional or industry field, then that would be different.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Los Angeles, California 89 Followers 147 Discussions
Washington, District of Columbia 27 Followers 57 Discussions
Bedford, United Kingdom 44 Followers 413 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 11, 2024

LinkedIn Launches MBA Rankings of US Business Schools

News Jan 11, 2024

A Change of Place: MBA Programs for the Internationally Mobile

Article Jun 20, 2013

How you can use an MBA to land a job in another country